Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:<strong>Ross '13</strong>
 Q46  V40
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: Business Development / Sales
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Current Student
 Q46  V40
Send PM
Re: Please evaluate this potential '11 MBA reject [#permalink]
My GPA was 3.3 but I did have to address it because it trended down (i.e. Freshman/Sophmore/Junior GPA~3.5, Senior GPA ~ 2.7). I don't forsee your GPA as a deal-breaker (unless you are thinking HBS/Stanford, in which case if you don't have at least a 3.5 you can forget about it), however, you will need to do 2 things to ensure that it doesn't kill your app.
1. Prove to the admissions committee that you have "learned your lesson" and are totally committed to learning now. Taking those classes and getting A's is a great way to do this. It will also REALLY help if you can crush the GMAT and get any score that starts with a 7! :-) For most top schools the rule of thumb is that you must prove your quantitative abilities through EITHER your GPA OR GMAT. The good news for you is that schools prefer strong GMAT over strong GPA. I have a friend that got into Wharton with a 650 GMAT, but he had a 3.9 GPA. I have another friend who got into Wharton with a 3.0 GPA, but he had a 750 GMAT. So, as you mentioned there is not a lot you can do about getting that GPA up, so taking the classes and then killing the GMAT is definitely your ticket in.
2. You need a story. A really good story, addressing your GPA head-on. Maybe your GPA was low because while you were an undergrad you worked 30 hours a week, got married, led 4 clubs, were captian of XYZ team...you get the point. Adcom will overlook a low GPA if you can dazzle them with some of your achievements and involvements during that time.

Hope that helps.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rpratt620 wrote:
My GPA was 3.3 but I did have to address it because it trended down (i.e. Freshman/Sophmore/Junior GPA~3.5, Senior GPA ~ 2.7). I don't forsee your GPA as a deal-breaker (unless you are thinking HBS/Stanford, in which case if you don't have at least a 3.5 you can forget about it), however, you will need to do 2 things to ensure that it doesn't kill your app.
1. Prove to the admissions committee that you have "learned your lesson" and are totally committed to learning now. Taking those classes and getting A's is a great way to do this. It will also REALLY help if you can crush the GMAT and get any score that starts with a 7! :-) For most top schools the rule of thumb is that you must prove your quantitative abilities through EITHER your GPA OR GMAT. The good news for you is that schools prefer strong GMAT over strong GPA. I have a friend that got into Wharton with a 650 GMAT, but he had a 3.9 GPA. I have another friend who got into Wharton with a 3.0 GPA, but he had a 750 GMAT. So, as you mentioned there is not a lot you can do about getting that GPA up, so taking the classes and then killing the GMAT is definitely your ticket in.
2. You need a story. A really good story, addressing your GPA head-on. Maybe your GPA was low because while you were an undergrad you worked 30 hours a week, got married, led 4 clubs, were captian of XYZ team...you get the point. Adcom will overlook a low GPA if you can dazzle them with some of your achievements and involvements during that time.

Hope that helps.

So...would undergrad classes show the adco's I'm ready for bschools or would I have to take graduate accounting/stats classes?
Current Student
 Q46  V40
Send PM
enigmatic526 wrote:
rpratt620 wrote:

Hope that helps.

So...would undergrad classes show the adco's I'm ready for bschools or would I have to take graduate accounting/stats classes?

Basic, intro level undergrad courses in Stats, accounting, finance, econ, calculus, etc will be more than enough.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
I very much disagree with how positive rpratt is being here. I'm not trying to burst your bubble here but your GPA would be in the bottom 5% AT SMITH. SO you would be even lower at better schools

You profile is decent but nowhere near the admits or averages or even ranges for school that rpratt is suggesting.

a 2.67 is what you have; no classes will change that. An alt. transcript is used to prove that you can handle b school. It doesnt take away form the fact that the school still has to eat your gpa in their stats, they dont want to do that. Especially where there are lots of people with better numbers.

IF you get a 720 and 8 credits with a 4.0 you will be within reach of schools outside of the top 14...cornell tepper, etc will be within reach but not likely.

Look i love the go for it attitude and am for you applying to any school you want but lets not get delusional here. Rpratt has a 3.3 and a 700.....thats a BIG BIG difference from your profile.

Go for the gold but dont be surprised if you dont get interviews in the top 14-16 schools.

I love basketball but i know i cant be in the nba....
Current Student
 Q46  V40
Send PM
jordanhendrix makes some valid points. At the same time, I truly believe in my heart of hearts that adcom's will not sacrifice a candidate with a phenomenal profile/story just to keep their GPA numbers up. Now, if you are just trying to get in off of sheer numbers with mediocre/cliche essays that you threw together in a couple of weeks, and if adcom was just a group of robots devoid of human emotion, than yeah, I would say impossible to get into a top school with that GPA. I just don't believe that to be the case though. However, I will make one disclaimer. If you want to get in you are going to have to have a story and essays that bring a tear to the eye of the adcom members. It can be done, it just requires a LOT of time and thought and you will have to plumb the depths of your mind and soul to get that story to come across on paper. A really good resource that helped me with my essays is a book by Richard Montauk called "How to Get into the Top MBA Programs" Very good stuff.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
rpratt your an idealist and thats a wonderful trait....
thats said the adcoms only let in people with numbers like that if they have some serious connections (like G W. Bush's asst, in HBS without a bachelors degree, or G bush himself in HBS!)

Sob stories are a dime a dozen, and this kid doesnt even have one!
if you make an adcom cry they will pass your essay around before it goes in the trash not forgive both a terrible GMAT and GPA. (by their standards)

I wish you the best of luck, I'm going off of what most admissions consultants will tell you not an idealistic opinion which requires you to bring tears to adcom eyes. All in all I genuinely hope you prove me wrong!

For what its worth SMITH is decent in the DC area real estate scene GTOWN just launched its RE program too! I work in real estate in DC, its not like Investment banking....the school matters much less in RE
Current Student
 Q46  V40
Send PM
It just goes to show that there are many different candidates from many different backgrounds and vastly different viewpoints that are all admitted to top schools. Go with what works for you and fulfills your life's objectives.

Good Luck!
GMAT Club Bot