Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:09 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Official Business School Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:LBS (Admit), Insead (Admit), Wharton (Admit+$), Kellogg (Waitlist), HBS (Ding)
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Schools:LBS (Admit), Insead (Admit), Wharton (Admit+$), Kellogg (Waitlist), HBS (Ding)
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink]
checked out the ukba's website and it says :
length of course : 12 months or more
length of stay allowed: The full length of the course plus four months after the end of the course

so looks like I have answered my question myself and everything seems to be better now :)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
mbaaspirant11 wrote:

do you have any idea if this is the case only for a 12 month program or do they give extra months even in the case of a longer duration course (LBS in my case). Otherwise, this would pose a problem for many students as I don't think everyone is place before graduation (the data for placements is usually for withing 3 months after graduating).

@bsd_lover, any inputs from your side regarding the duration of student visa and how many are placed before graduation would be much appreciated.

My student visa is valid till October even though the course ends in July - so perhaps those extra grace months are given by default. Not sure about the number of placements before graduation though. The general sense I get is that most people get *a* job by graduation, but hold out sometimes for *the* job. This might not be so easy to do under the new regime. I agree that this is a bigger issue for 1 year programs however.

In general I see these rules affecting INSEAD, HEC, IMD etc. more than they would affect LBS and Oxbridge.
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Thanks for info. True it would be difficult to wait for "the" job and it does seem more difficult for students from outside the UK to get jobs and work permits.........

ukba has tried to differentiate between students studying at highly trusted uk institutions and everyone else which is inline with what they said earlier - that they want to attract genuine and bright students to the UK.

In any case, things have turned out to be a lot better than what it looked like earlier. I am personally quite relieved as I had declined an admit from Wharton for LBS before this chaos and did not want to end up regretting my decision.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Schools:LBS 2013, Foster, McCombs, Stanford, Kellogg, Haas (Interview, w/d), Fuqua (Interview, w/d)
 Q49  V49
GPA: 3.625
Send PM
mbaaspirant11 wrote:
Thanks for info. True it would be difficult to wait for "the" job and it does seem more difficult for students from outside the UK to get jobs and work permits.........

ukba has tried to differentiate between students studying at highly trusted uk institutions and everyone else which is inline with what they said earlier - that they want to attract genuine and bright students to the UK.

In any case, things have turned out to be a lot better than what it looked like earlier. I am personally quite relieved as I had declined an admit from Wharton for LBS before this chaos and did not want to end up regretting my decision.

Couldn't agree more. I'll bet it's a bummer for folks attending non-HTS schools, but the shakedown for most UK MBAs seems pretty good (read:almost the status quo). I turned down interviews at Berkeley and Duke before catching wind of these potential changes and was starting to regret the decision as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi redneck,

I have couple of questions for you regarding spouse-student visa.

1. Can a 12 month masters program student bring his or her spouse along?
2. Is there a restriction on the kind of job spouse can do? And is there a restriction on upper earning limit as such?

tc
nagarjuna

redneck2011 wrote:
mbaaspirant11 wrote:

Couldn't agree more. I'll bet it's a bummer for folks attending non-HTS schools, but the shakedown for most UK MBAs seems pretty good (read:almost the status quo). I turned down interviews at Berkeley and Duke before catching wind of these potential changes and was starting to regret the decision as well.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Schools:LBS 2013, Foster, McCombs, Stanford, Kellogg, Haas (Interview, w/d), Fuqua (Interview, w/d)
 Q49  V49
GPA: 3.625
Send PM
Hi nagarjuna,

As always, I want to be careful trying to clarify the UK Gov't position on this, but I think I can straightforwardly answer your questions.

1. No. It seems that the program must be post-graduate at a university and greater than 12 months. Now, is it possible that there is some leeway for programs that are right at 12 months? Perhaps. Some '12-month' programs could actually run 12.5 months, which would technically be greater than 12 months. Or perhaps the official start and end dates can be stretched accordingly. Obviously, the devil is in the details, so it's hard to say exactly how things will shake out for your program specifically. At this point, I would want to talk to someone more knowledgeable about how UK student visas actually work.

2. If you are, in fact, able to sponsor your spouse through your student visa (again, assuming through a post-grad course at university), your spouse can work. I haven't found anything suggesting any restrictions on the kind of work a sponsored spouse can do.

Hope that helps. Another resource I found very helpful was the following PDF from the UK Home Office summarizing their student visa changes: https://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... policy.pdf.

Cheers,
redneck2011

nagarjuna13 wrote:
Hi redneck,

I have couple of questions for you regarding spouse-student visa.

1. Can a 12 month masters program student bring his or her spouse along?
2. Is there a restriction on the kind of job spouse can do? And is there a restriction on upper earning limit as such?

tc
nagarjuna
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
hmmm.. It makes one year MBA for married people difficult. That too, when the Oxbridge have average age as 30 (most of the people would have been married by then).

redneck2011 wrote:
1. No. It seems that the program must be post-graduate at a university and greater than 12 months. Now, is it possible that there is some leeway for programs that are right at 12 months? Perhaps. Some '12-month' programs could actually run 12.5 months, which would technically be greater than 12 months. Or perhaps the official start and end dates can be stretched accordingly. Obviously, the devil is in the details, so it's hard to say exactly how things will shake out for your program specifically. At this point, I would want to talk to someone more knowledgeable about how UK student visas actually work.

Thank you redneck. I read that pdf before and somehow missed the "and" between "post graduate" and "more than 12 months".
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Send PM
Someone has already mentioned this but students on postgrad courses of 12 months or more are allowed to bring dependents so the Cambridge MBA is fine for students who would like to bring their dependents.

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
The CambridgeMBA
follow us on twitter @CambridgeMBA
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Thanks CambridgeMBA for details

I have couple of queries on your previous posts

1) Do you have any information about Visa durations for students enrolled for 12 month program.
Your 22nd Mar post says that UKBA generally grants 4 month extension. But is it kind of general practice or depends on case to case?
2) I am Indian MBA aspirant. I read somewhere that despite having done degree in english now international students whose mother tongue is not english will have to give TOFEL or other equivalent exams.
Send PM
THe UKBA generally gives a 16 month visa for people who are attending a 12-month programme. Hopefully they will continue to do so.

Under the change in rules, your institution must assess your English competency unless you are a national from one of UKBA's majority English speaking countries, or studied in one of those countries. India is not on the list.

Hope this helps.

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
Cambridge Judge Business School
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Indian Institute of Management Calcutta - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.67
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
CambridgeMBA wrote:
THe UKBA generally gives a 16 month visa for people who are attending a 12-month programme. Hopefully they will continue to do so.

Under the change in rules, your institution must assess your English competency unless you are a national from one of UKBA's majority English speaking countries, or studied in one of those countries. India is not on the list.

Hope this helps.

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions

Hi
So does this mean that an applicant from India will not get a TOEFL waiver from Cambridge even if his/her medium of Study/instruction in college is English? And even if that is mentioned in his/her transcript ?

Regards
Subrata Dass

p.s the candidate in question is me , I have already sat for GMAT and plan to apply for the 2012-13 session , but am yet to take TOEFL
Send PM
@subratadass

The UKBA's new regulations mean that if you are a non-EU student, you are only given a language waiver when you apply for a visa if you are a national of, or completed undergrad in, one of the countries that the UKBA lists as having English-speaking majority countries. Unfortunately, that list is quite small and India is not one of those countries. If it is any consolation to you, I am from Singapore which is not on the list and yet I am quite sure that the English competency of the average Singaporean is higher than citizens of most of the countries on that list.

If you do not have an exemption, you will have to demonstrate your English competency through TOEFL, IELTS or some other approved language test.

We are currently looking into how we can harmonise our current English requirements with the UKBA regulations for the classes entering in 2012. I would encourage you to take TOEFL while you can.

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V41
Send PM
As per my understanding it should not be an issue. Pls see the extract from the UKBA website below and I am assuming that B schools are higher education institutes. So we have the third point in which institute can choose to assess your language abilities by their own methods. This does not include any tests. I am an indian and I will be applying for my visa sometime in june and I have not given the Toefl. Remind me later and I will let you know in case I faced any issue. As of now LBS has not asked us to appear for toefl etc and people who have given it have also been asked not to submit their scores as it is not required. Hope this helps.

Extract:
How will your English language skills be assessed? (Applicants whose CAS is assigned on or after 21 April 2011)

If you will be taking a course at NQF 6/QCF 6/SCQF 9 at a higher education institution, and you are not a gifted student or a national of a majority English-speaking country, your education provider must ensure that you:

have successfully completed an academic qualification, at least equivalent to a UK bachelor's degree, which was taught in a majority English-speaking country (see below); or

have successfully completed a course as a Tier 4 (Child) student (or under the student rules that were in force before 31 March 2009, if you were given permission to stay in the UK while you were under 18 years old) - the course must have lasted for at least 6 months, and must have ended no more than 2 years before the date when your sponsor assigns your CAS; or

are proficient at CEFR level B2 in each of the 4 components of language learning (reading, writing, speaking and listening), by choosing its own method of assessing your English language ability.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.2
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
On the issue of sponsoring your partners, I was going to agree with redneck2011 below:

redneck2011 wrote:
Hi nagarjuna,

As always, I want to be careful trying to clarify the UK Gov't position on this, but I think I can straightforwardly answer your questions.

And disagree with Conrad below because it was true for courses more than 12 months.

CambridgeMBA wrote:
Someone has already mentioned this but students on postgrad courses of 12 months or more are allowed to bring dependents so the Cambridge MBA is fine for students who would like to bring their dependents.

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
The CambridgeMBA
follow us on twitter @CambridgeMBA

But according to the latest update on the BA website, seems like sponsoring your partners won't be a problem for the Judge MBA. Check out the announcements:

Can students bring their partners and/or children with them?
290. From 4 July 2011, only new students sponsored by a higher education institution on a
course at NQF level 7 or above lasting 12 months or more, and new Government sponsored
students following a course that is longer than six months, will be able to bring their partners
and/or children (also known as dependants) to the UK with them.

ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/pbs/Tier4migrantguidance1.pdf
Manager
Manager
Location: In my cerebellum. Betwixt the Past and the Future. In the moment and the Present.
Schools:INSEAD
Send PM
Does anyone have any idea about how these changes/proposed changes to the visa regime are expected to impact or have already started impacting London-based recruitment for non-EU students from other European schools such as INSEAD, IMD etc?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
As far as i know, they closed the Tier 1 option for new applications from both abroad and within the UK as of 5 April. Essentially, from now, if you wish to apply for a working visa based on your MBA diploma and professional skills, you will have to be sponsored by a company and submit a Tier 2 visa application (which most companies over the past couple of years have been trying to avoid).
Send PM
@inseadgrad It is true that Tier 1 is now closed except for very exceptional cases which most MBAs will not meet, so that all non-EU MBAs will effectively have to go through the Tier 2 route. However, the key difference is that a non-EU MBA student who graduates from a UK school will be able to switch to Tier 2, if he or she accepts a job offer from a UK employer during the validity of the student visa, without the student being counted against the company's Tier 2 quota. The company also does not have to go through the labour market testing route for UK MBA students. This is a big advantage for students graduating from UK MBA programmes.

As always, I am not an immigration solicitor so you should always read the documentation for yourself.

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6