Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
Re: MBA Financing Through Parents - Minimizing Tax Impact [#permalink]
If your parents make a gift to you, they can each make tax free gift of $13k each (unless they lowered it back to $10k). So that's $26k in total from both of your parents tax free. Anything above that, they have to pay gift tax unless they want to use against unified credit for gift and estate tax. Whenever they make a gift to you, they have to fill out a form and attach to their tax return. That's how IRS will know it's a gift.

If you really want to do this (although I don't think it's necessary) bullet-proof, prepare a promissory note and have your parents sign it. Get it notarized or something. That's a proof IRS will accept.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
WE:Other (Insurance)
Send PM
I'm not sure if this was done away with, but there was a $ 1 million lifetime gift tax limit (in addition to the 13,000/year limit). So, they could give you up to $1 million if that law hasn't expired.

I do remember something about 2010 though. So maybe that has passed.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:UCLA Anderson (IN!!), NYU Stern (IN!!), MIT (R1 Ding), Columbia (RD Ding)
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
can't your parents just pay the school directly?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Be wary of the advice you are receiving here with regards to a loan. My understanding is if they plan to give it to you as a loan, it'll need to be in writing, of course, but they'll also need to charge you a fair market interest rate AND then they'll be taxed upon the imputed income from that.

HOWEVER, if they pay your expenses directly (and I don't know what exactly qualifies as directly), I think they can qualify for a gift tax exclusion for education.

https://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... ation.html

That only counts for tuition, I believe, but I think there are other exemptions for health and maintenance.
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
upInTheAir wrote:
can't your parents just pay the school directly?

Don't remember if that applies to grad school. I think most parents set up 529 plan for such purpose.

mreevit wrote:
I'm not sure if this was done away with, but there was a $ 1 million lifetime gift tax limit (in addition to the 13,000/year limit). So, they could give you up to $1 million if that law hasn't expired.

That's part of the unified credit for gift and estate tax. 2010 thing is that they simply reduced the limit after 2010 (was the plan). But I think they created new exemption of $5 million for 2011. I think it used to be total of $3.5 million or so.

ProfessionalKazooist wrote:
they'll also need to charge you a fair market interest rate AND then they'll be taxed upon the imputed income from that.

Yes. Interest has to be charged to make it a legitimate loan.

Best way to do this (and this depends on the state), find out if your state lets you use 529 plan for grad school. Ask your parents to set it up. They can contribute up to 5 times the allowable gift exclusion amount. So assuming it is still $13,000 a yr, each of your parent can contribute $65,000 each ($130,000 total) in one yr. But your parents have to report a pro-rated portion of their contribution each year for up to 5 years. Second, they can't make any additional gifts to you until the pro-rated period is completed.
GMAT Club Bot