Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:05 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Exec Bios

CEOs: Bristol-Meyers Squibb, Weyerhaeuser, Eaton, Avaya, Regions Fincl, TECO (MS Engineering)

https://www.aetna.com/presscenter/holt.htm
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Value Considerations

Est. Total Cost: c. 122k

Tuition: c. 36 k per annum

https://www.dartmouth.edu/tuck/mba/finaid/index.html

FT2005 Value For Money: #78, better than most of the elites, but below Virginia Darden
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
question about admissions [#permalink]
Ok, I think this may be quite obvious, but because Tuck has an early action round- is the december round really like the 2nd round and the january round more like the 3rd round? Meaning if you want a fair shot best get in the app by dec.?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
As I recall, the second regular round for Dartmouth is within a few days of R2 for many of its fellow elites. For instance, NYU is three days after, VA regular R2 is the same day, Yale one day before, Duke two days before. While it is the third round for Tuck it occurs around the same time as the second regular round at the other schools and before the third round at virtually all of the elites. In that sense, it acts more like a typical R2 than a typical R3.

Since Tuck's R1 and R2 are so close together there is little point in hanging one to the application until January if it is almost complete now.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Alumni Mass Index

Northeast: V Large
West: Small
Midwest: Small
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Why do you not group this as an "ultra elite?" Seems like Dartmouth receives top spots from a number of rankings?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Tuck is certainly a strong MBA program but it does not appear to exhibit the characteristics that are typical of the Ultra Elite programs.

First, Dartmouth has a smaller alumni base than one typically encounters with the ultra elite schools.

Second, if hypothetically added to the ultra elite schools, Dartmouth would consistently rank in the bottom quarter of this group for finance placements. However, its performance was similar to other elites that are strong in consulting such as Michigan.

Third. if hypothetically added to the ultra elite schools, Dartmouth would consistently rank in the bottom quarter for finance placements. If evaluated on a per capita basis, Tuck would fare somewhat better (roughly Q3). Note, however, that Tuck was significantly smaller than even the smallest ultra elite school and the per capita performance was similar to Yale, another small elite school.

As usual, one should not take any ranking system (including this one) too seriously. Regardless of the rank attached to it, Dartmouth is clearly one of the world’s best business schools.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Tuck Early Decision Round [#permalink]
Does Tuck change its admission criteria for the early decision round? Specifically, would they be more apt to consider someone with a 650 GMAT score during this round since they know I am strongly interested in their MBA program? Just curious if anyone had any thoughts.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
i'm in the same boat [#permalink]
Looking if Dartmouth strongly consider round 1 650-700 gmat applicants
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [2]
Schools:Tuck'08
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Just my 2 cents about Hjort and the finance placements:

1) Network is small, I agree, but I believe extremely strong. If you look at the finance industry I am very confident that 80% of the Managing directors of Investment Banks will accept to have a phone call with you. I don't think it's frequent at other schools in top 10.

2) You have also to think about the network. Someone from HBS at Goldman is certainly harassed during the recruiting period whereas a Tuck alum has less demand from current students since we are not so many (240 students per year) and therefore is uually ready to help you quite a lot.

3) Goldman, Morgan Stanley, Lehman, UBS, ...have all taken between 4 and 10 students (IB + S&T together) for the summer. I believe this is a strong commitment.

4) Now I agree that I don't see Tuck very strong in the corporate finance environement but definitely playing in the Investment Managment and Investment Banking space.

5) I believe the only school that are really in another galaxy are : HBS and Stanford. HBs is the 1st school, not because it is the best but because people see it as the best. The reputation of the school is a strong aspect, especially if you think about your career at the international level. HBS is the only school known everywhere in the world. Then Stanford is a huge innovation machine and I am sure you can learn a lot there. Other than that I think it's more a fit/environment match.

I am a 2nd year a Tuck, not a pro-Tuck, but I just wanted to come back on those few points.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Stanford R1, Wharton R1 w/int, Chicago R1, HBS R2
Send PM
Re: Dartmouth (Tuck) [#permalink]
Does anyone know anything about the couples admission program at Tuck? Both my wife and I are planning to get an MBA, and will probably be doing apps next year (for Fall '10 enrollment). I think we are both reasonably competitive applicants, but the problem is the odds of us both getting into the same elite school seem to be pretty slim. I have heard from some people that Tuck will jointly consider the applications of partners interested in applying. Does anyone know how this works? I assume that both applicants will need to be interesting and accomplished in their own right to be admitted, but does this joint decision help to push someone who may be a less perfect fit into the program? Or, does it mean that they will reject both people even if only one doesn't seem to fit the admissions standards?

If anyone has any experience with this, I'd really appreciate it.

I guess the other strategy would be to apply to schools that are neighboring each other (i.e. Chicago and Kellogg, or Haas and Stanford).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Interestingly, at Kellogg there are 4 people in my section (out of 72) who have spouses also in our class...they separate them. I think it definitely does up your chances at certain schools, especially those that are very family friendly and personally I think that Tuck would be another one of those schools. I know of a few tuck alum couples. They arent going to accept you both if you arent qualified but I think they are more likely to accept a borderline applicant if one is a surefire admit.

I would definitely suggest going for Chicago/Kellogg depending on your profiles and goals. You could easily each attend one school. There is at least one classmate of mine with a spouse at GSB and another whose husband is in a Phd program there. MIT/HBS, Stanford/Haas, Columbia/NYU are other pairing options depending on your profiles.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Schools:Tuck'08
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
I know of a few tuck alum couples. They arent going to accept you both if you arent qualified but I think they are more likely to accept a borderline applicant if one is a surefire admit.

I confirm Riverripper's comment. I am not very knowledgeable about other MBA programs but concerning Tuck since this MBA is based on fit/small community/social aspect and that most of the students have partners it is definitely well accepted there to have this double partner application. Though don't get married for that :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Quote:
I confirm Riverripper's comment. I am not very knowledgeable about other MBA programs but concerning Tuck since this MBA is based on fit/small community/social aspect and that most of the students have partners it is definitely well accepted there to have this double partner application. Though don't get married for that

Haha
GMAT Club Bot