Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:<strong>Ross '13</strong>
 Q46  V40
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: Business Development / Sales
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [4]
 Q46  V40
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink]
Since so many are caught up with the ranking, I'm going to add a point to rpratt620's awesome post.

I spoke to a second year student who, as a volunteer to the admission office, analyzed the rankings from various publications to determine why Darden is where they are. One of the criteria that publications use is the number of research by the faculties. Darden's professors are wholly devoted to teaching the students and therefore, rarely put out papers. This led to slightly lower ranking.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Consortium (Tuck (WL), Darden(Admitted with $$),Kelley(Admitted))
 Q46  V34
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
bakfed wrote:
I concur. :-D

Nice reasonings; I see you'll do better at a case school than anywhere else. See you at fall!! :)

rpratt620 wrote:
reapplicant wrote:
rpratt - you choosing Darden over Ross with $$$? Reasons??

I think Ross is a great school. I was super impressed with their facilities and students. Also, they are well-respected in pretty much every area from finance to marketing to GM. I found Darden to be a way better fit for me. My career track is Management Consulting for a couple years (preferably with MBB) and then long term in GM. I have come to conclude that with the possible exception of HBS, Darden is the best school out there to prepare someone for a career in GM. Additional reasons why I pick Darden over Ross, Fuqua, etc...

1. Case Method-based teaching - I loathe the lecture format. It seems so condescending to me. The professor is up there pontificating his points, and it is just too easy to zone out and miss what is going on. I realized that the lecture format was useless for me while I was still an undergrad. During my last 2 years of college I stopped going to lecture altogether. The case method makes so much sense to me because I can learn the material on my own first through reading and struggling through problems and issues, then I get to meet with the team and brainstorm on what we have all learned. Then, when we finally meet as a class we actually have something to talk about. For me, the case method is the most thorough way to commit the learning to long-term memory. Interestingly, while I was visiting campus, most of the students said that the learning is so intense 24/7 and you go over it so often that when it comes time for the final exam most students don't need to cram, because that info is already seared into their brain! I realize that other schools employ the case method, but from my interaction with students at Ross and Duke for example, it is to the tune of about 20-30%. Darden is 100% Case based in the first year
2. Community/Culture - The smaller class size appealed to me. I like Charlottesville better than Ann Arbor, not to mention the weather is far more bearable. Darden students just seemed more down to earth to me. Also, (for what it's worth) Darden ranked #1 for student satisfaction in BW rankings. The sense I get in speaking with alumni is that the Darden school revolves around putting the student first and giving them what they seek.
3. Career Opportunities/Career Center - Career Center is consistantly rated as one of the top in the nation. Having personally visited the career centers of 6 top schools this year, I will say that Darden just had it together better than anyone else. Also, they extend the career center services to all alumni indefinitely. The same cannot be said of most other schools. Darden does not have as many MBB recruits as Michigan but that is due to size (500 vs. 300). Proportionally, MBB hires more from Darden than Ross. Consulting hiring is up at all top schools, but Darden in particular. I was speaking with a second year last week who told me that Darden just announced that McKinsey alone had extended offers to 10% of the entire Darden Class this year-That proportion is comparable to HBS or Wharton.

...and last but not least, there is the X factor, that gut feeling that you just can't explain. I feel it with Darden.

I concur as well . See the both of you in fall ! :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Yale School of Management '13
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 7 years in Software Development
Send PM
@All
If you are deciding between Darden and Yale SOM, could you share your thoughts here: darden-vs-yale-som-110560.html#p887807
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Cant agree with you more. Same feeling when I visited Darden. During my visit to Darden, I met one guy who chose Darden over Wharton. His reasons were so convincing. Those who care about community, want to learn and progress in their career should definitely look at Darden. I loved my time there. But I did not get reciprocal love though :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance, Management
Schools:Darden
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: Public Finance, 3 years
WE 2: Corporate Finance - M&amp;A at a BIG 4, 2 years
WE 3: Business Analysis, 1.5 years
Send PM
Oh wow! You guys rock! Great posts and reasons to let Darden be the ONE. See you in the fall.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
lencheto18 wrote:
Oh wow! You guys rock! Great posts and reasons to let Darden be the ONE. See you in the fall.

I will see you in the fall if Darden lets me in. Chances of getting off the waitlist look very bleak to me. From hearsay, Darden waitlist is almost a ding.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
redact

Originally posted by getoutofhere on 28 Mar 2011, 12:47.
Last edited by getoutofhere on 01 Apr 2011, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
 Q46  V40
Send PM
So did any admits get their package today?
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Consulting, Strategy
Schools:Booth
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
rpratt620 wrote:
3. Career Opportunities/Career Center - Career Center is consistantly rated as one of the top in the nation. Having personally visited the career centers of 6 top schools this year, I will say that Darden just had it together better than anyone else. Also, they extend the career center services to all alumni indefinitely. The same cannot be said of most other schools. Darden does not have as many MBB recruits as Michigan but that is due to size (500 vs. 300). Proportionally, MBB hires more from Darden than Ross. Consulting hiring is up at all top schools, but Darden in particular. I was speaking with a second year last week who told me that Darden just announced that McKinsey alone had extended offers to 10% of the entire Darden Class this year-That proportion is comparable to HBS or Wharton.

...and last but not least, there is the X factor, that gut feeling that you just can't explain. I feel it with Darden.

I think you bring up some great points and going to either school will certainly provide a great deal of opportunity to get into consulting or IB, but my research has not yielded the same results. For one, I've actually heard from alumni that Darden has pretty bad career services and you are overly reliant on your own efforts.

Ross v. Darden
In terms of Mck/Bain/BCG hires, for class of 2010:
13/6/5 (5.53% of 434 size class) vs. 4/3/7 (4.2% of class of 333)

Class of 2011 Internships:
7/6/4 (3.4% of 500 size class) vs. 4/6/5 (4.85% of class of 309)
Orange is assuming best case scenario for these firms (since Darden only reports highest # of hires)

For IB, I would say your chances are statistically doubled at Darden, but then again you could end up down in Charlotte (BofA) ::shudder::

A good resource is GMAT Club/Darden Alum Pelihu (he actually went to UM undergrad). He has many candid posts about his experiences at Darden. Here's a start top-15-match-up-ross-vs-darden-55545.html#p415006

I can't believe you'd turn down the $$, but follow your heart. C'ville is beautiful, so best of luck!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [1]
 Q46  V40
Send PM
Kudos
jb88 wrote:
rpratt620 wrote:

I think you bring up some great points and going to either school will certainly provide a great deal of opportunity to get into consulting or IB, but my research has not yielded the same results. For one, I've actually heard from alumni that Darden has pretty bad career services and you are overly reliant on your own efforts.

Ross v. Darden
In terms of Mck/Bain/BCG hires, for class of 2010:
13/6/5 (5.53% of 434 size class) vs. 4/3/7 (4.2% of class of 333)

Class of 2011 Internships:
7/6/4 (3.4% of 500 size class) vs. 4/6/5 (4.85% of class of 309)
Orange is assuming best case scenario for these firms (since Darden only reports highest # of hires)

For IB, I would say your chances are statistically doubled at Darden, but then again you could end up down in Charlotte (BofA) ::shudder::

A good resource is GMAT Club/Darden Alum Pelihu (he actually went to UM undergrad). He has many candid posts about his experiences at Darden. Here's a start top-15-match-up-ross-vs-darden-55545.html#p415006

I can't believe you'd turn down the $$, but follow your heart. C'ville is beautiful, so best of luck!!

Undoubtedly, both have stellar programs/placement. I actually ran a similar analysis but I did it for the past 4 years (2007-2010) so as to get a better feel of how recruiting is affected by bad economy/good economy. I was able to attain the exact number of MBB from the Ross employment report. I had to call Darden and obtain their information manually, as they don't disclose that degree of detail in their report. I also factored in the fact that not all students are actually seeking employment (in most top-tier schools it's about 10-15%. Here are my results:

2007-2010

Michigan - 114 MBB Hires/ 1506 Students seeking employment = 7.6% of Student Body into MBB
Darden - 79 MBB Hires / 1196 = 6.6% of Student Body into MBB

I also ran the numbers on Duke, for good measure:
Fuqua - 68 MBB Hires / 1501 employment seekers = 4.5% of Student body into MBB

Wharton, the gold standard for MBB recruiting (of the schools that report) stood at about 16% of Student Body into MBB during this same time frame.

Bottom line: Ross does have SLIGHTLY better numbers going into MBB, but I'm not sure if it is enough to really make a difference for me. From my interaction with other consultants it seems like Michigan feeds more into the Chicago/Detroit/New York Offices while Darden tends to place more into the Atlanta/Dallas/Houston offices. I am seeking one of the latter offices, so in that regard I lean towards Darden.
Current Student
Affiliations: VFW, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, West Point Association of Graduates
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategic Management and Finance
Schools:Wharton Class of 2013
GMAT 2: 700
WE 1: Army Ranger / Infantry Platoon Leader Operation Iraqi Freedom (2 yrs)
WE 2: Company Executive Officer (1 yr)
WE 3: Company Commander (2 yrs)
Send PM
i know its been asked, but anybody get the admit letter yesterday, i know like everyone i am very interested in scholarship info which could influence my decision

i loved darden but its hard to pick between darden wharton and nyu, they all seem different but have alot of similarities and great people
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:Sloan (R2), Wharton (R2), Darden (R2)
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: 5 years finance
Send PM
wp06 wrote:
i know its been asked, but anybody get the admit letter yesterday, i know like everyone i am very interested in scholarship info which could influence my decision

i loved darden but its hard to pick between darden wharton and nyu, they all seem different but have alot of similarities and great people

I haven't received anything yet either
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Yale School of Management '13
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 7 years in Software Development
Send PM
As per the round 1 admits, you get an email with the FedEx tracking number once your admit package is shipped. Waiting eagerly for mine as well.
Current Student
Affiliations: VFW, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, West Point Association of Graduates
Send PM
damn, did not get an email, the adcom who called me wednesday said it would ship on thursday, owell i will wait it out
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I got mine- NY. No $.

Mine did not come in Fedex.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
So, Fed Grad Plus loan has 2.5% origination fee and 7.9% interest rate. *shivers*

Originally posted by nyxjf on 29 Mar 2011, 06:23.
Last edited by nyxjf on 29 Mar 2011, 07:14, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Send PM
did u get an email, or just the letter
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  71   72   73   74   75   76   77  ...  86   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert