Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:55 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

Booth vs. Columbia vs. Kellogg

You may select 1 option
Stanford School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Schools:Booth
 Q48  V45
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Wharton - W/L, Booth - admit, Kellogg - matriculating, NYU - Withdrawl, Columbia - Withdrawl
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: Booth vs. Kellogg vs. Columbia [#permalink]
I was in a similar situation, though I withdrew from Columbia and was deciding between Kellogg and Booth. It sounds like the real competition for you is between those two schools as well. I was at DAK1 and was very impressed by both the information session for SEEK, their social enterprise major, and the number of students interested in the topic. Initially I was drawn to the quantitative and open curriculum at Booth but after speaking with alumni from a number of schools, had a change of heart. Almost all mentioned that the classes and skills they valued most from business school were those of the "softer" variety. I feel that these skills are something that Kellogg teaches better than anyone.

But at the end of the day, the one thing I realized after visiting both schools, is that they are far more similar than different. After attending both welcome weekends, you'll know where you "fit". Feel free to PM me for any more information.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Yeah it definitely looks like a race between the school where fun goes to die (albeit with pretty buildings) and the school where people hug a lot (with crappy buildings). :)

Living downtown is so affordable in Chicago that it's ridiculous. I could have lived in a palace in Chicago for how much I'll be paying for a small apartment in Boston. Obviously, I really, really like Booth so that's what I voted but Kellogg is awesome as well. As someone who grew up in the Chicago suburbs, Evanston is a really nice little college town and while it definitely isn't the city, I don't think it would be all that bad.

Realistically, while Kellogg is a consulting factory, if your goal is M/B/B, 8% vs. 10% doesn't matter. I'd say that between the schools you are considering, all would give you about equal shot at landing an interview with those firms and it would be pretty much up to you to show them that you're the right person for those jobs.

Now Kellogg really does have a great social enterprise program and I really do like the work they do with the greater Chicago community. Be sure to talk regularly with your Booth adcom contact since they can help find you money if that's a determining factor in you attending. Really, it's a toss-up. For me, I got along better with the Boothies but I'm sort of a nerd so that's no surprise. At ASW, you'll find plenty of people making the tough Booth-Kellogg decision and while Booth seems to be converting a higher percentage of these recently (probably due to it's rise in the rankings and new facilities), Kellogg has historically been ranked higher for a long time so prestige-wise it's about a tie.

I can't wait to hear about your experience at both admit weekends (oh and Columbia's as well). While I do have a brother-in-law attending Columbia (film school) and a friend who worked in the business school offices there, I've heard enough negative things about some of those aggro-banker types that go there that I'm not as big of a fan of that school. Of course I was worried about those personalities at HBS too so who knows. :)
GMAT Club Bot