Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:24 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1554 [253]
Given Kudos: 92
Schools:Chicago b.
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [48]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31860 [13]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [4]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools:Yale SOM
Send PM
Re: The lawyer for the defense charged that she suspected the police of ha [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO D.

To narrow down the choices, first look at 'of having'. Next, take out [illegally taped her confidential conversations with her client ]

She suspected the police 'of having'.. 'and then of using'. Of having and of using should be parallel.

Therefore, eliminate A,B,C.

Next, 'taped' is past tense. Look in D and E for past tense in regards to obtaining evidence so the two are parallel.

'they had obtained' is past tense.

Choose D.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 416 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Finance, Strategic Management, International Management
Send PM
Re: The lawyer for the defense charged that she suspected the police of ha [#permalink]
indeed D is the right answer. Still, could someone explain why "of using" in this case have to be parallel to "of having" ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 892 [3]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
she suspected the police of having illegally taped her
she suspected the police of using the information

of having || of using
whichscore wrote:
indeed D is the right answer. Still, could someone explain why "of using" in this case have to be parallel to "of having" ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [10]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Nope. Police is plural. Look at the un-underlined part at the end using a plural pronoun 'their'. You can not reject BCDE on that count. It is a test of //ism. D is the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 366
Send PM
The lawyer for the defence charged that she suspected the police of having illegally taped her confidential conversations with her client and then used the information obtained to find evidence supporting their murder charges.

(A) used the information obtained to find evidence supporting
(B) used such information as they obtained to find evidence supporting
(C) used the information they had obtained to find evidence that would support
(D) of using the information they had obtained to find evidence that would support
(E) of using such information as they obtained to find evidence that would be supportive of

please explain two things here

meaning says :- lawyer suspected police of two things
1) having illegally taped confidential information
2) and then used that information to find evidence supporting..

official Ans says D. My concern here is
she is suspecting something , means she is not sure, so how come non underlined part is 100% and under lined part is with would, which is used for not certain things, are parallel.
If I consider it may be because we cannot doubt on non underlined part, but why C is wrong we can uses ellipses here to sho parallelism.

2) and then (having )used that information to find evidence supporting..

please clarify
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [8]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sudhirmadaan wrote:
The lawyer for the defense charged that she suspected the police of having illegally taped her confidential conversations with her client and then used the information obtained to find evidence supporting their murder charges.

(D) of using the information they had obtained to find evidence that would support
(E) of using such information as they obtained to find evidence that would be supportive of

please explain two things here

meaning says :- lawyer suspected police of two things
2) and then used that information to find evidence supporting..

official Ans says D. My concern here is
she is suspecting something , means she is not sure, so how come non underlined part is 100% and under lined part is with would, which is used for not certain things, are parallel.
If I consider it may be because we cannot doubt on non underlined part, but why C is wrong we can uses ellipses here to sho parallelism.

2) and then (having )used that information to find evidence supporting..

please clarify

Dear sudhirmadaan,
I'm happy to respond. :-) I'm not sure who the author of this question is, but I don't think it's of exceptionally high quality.

First of all, the first structure is "suspected" ... "of" + [gerund]. The first branch of the parallelism puts the verb in gerund form, as the object of the preposition "of," so the second branch must match this. Choices (A), (B), and (C) all have a full verb in the second branch of the parallelism, so they violate parallelism. Only (D) and (E) get the parallelism correct.

Choice (E) is a trainwreck disaster, so that leaves (D) as the only viable answer. (D) is awkward and rhetorically poor in a way that does not resemble any correct answer on the GMAT. I don't have a high opinion of this question.

The verb "suspect" does imply uncertainty, but it's redundant to use a hypothetical verb in the "that" clause that follows.
I suspect that he robbed the bank.
The fact is my hypothetical supposition, but we use the the simple past tense inside the "that" clause. Compare the following
"I suspect that he would rob a bank."
Here, my suspicion is not about the person's actions, but about the person's motives and intentions. This is a very different statement. In general, it would be redundant to use a conditional verb inside the "that" clause of the verb "suspect."

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1762 [3]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Kudos
whichscore wrote:
The lawyer for the defense charged that she suspected the police of having illegally
taped her confidential conversations with her client and then used the information
obtained to find evidence supporting
their murder charges.
(E) of using such information as they obtained to find evidence that would be supportive
of

The lawyer of defense suspected the police of two things:-
1) of having illegally taped her conversation
2) and of using the information for their use.
Option A, B and C are out.

We need 'the' before information as we are talking about a particular information. E is out

D is the answer
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
There are three events in the issue.
1.The police were illegally taping the conversation. This is the first event.
2. Then they used it to bolster the oncoming murder charges. This is the second event.
3. The defense lawyer alleged about the two misdemeanors of the police. This is the third event.
Whether she is still suspecting it is not germane to the issue. The police actions are indeed the two earlier cited illegal taping of the private conversation and wrongfully using dialogue to find evidence for their murder charges.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 630 Q49 V26
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
daagh wrote:
There are three events in the issue.
1.The police were illegally taping the conversation. This is the first event.
2. Then they used it to bolster the oncoming murder charges. This is the second event.
3. The defense lawyer alleged about the two misdemeanors of the police. This is the third event.
Whether she is still suspecting it is not germane to the issue. The police actions are indeed the two earlier cited illegal taping of the private conversation and wrongfully using dialogue to find evidence for their murder charges.

Thank you for your response. My concern is that we don't know whether the police action in 1. & 2. has taken place. She is suspecting that the police has done so. It may or may not be so. Can we use had in such a case?

Regards
Manish
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Dear Manish
In this Sentence Correction and our issue is whether the taping and evidencing were done earlier than suspecting and charging. If the phrase 'having taped and used' points to the earlierness of the event, then we should be happy to use 'had.' If we doubt whether action one and two were ever done by the police, that debate will be part of critical reasoning
daagh
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
IMO OA is D

The lawyer suspected about police that
1) have illegally taped
2) used the information to find evidence

-> So we have to use 'of~'. A,B,C is out

Between D and E, D is correct.

In E, there is only 'they obtained'. Obtaining tape was happened before when lawyer suspected.
In D, however, I can see 'had obtained'. So D is more clear.
So I chose D.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [1]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Kudos
sayantanc2k wrote:
HG0815 wrote:
IMO OA is D

1) have illegally taped

In E, there is only 'they obtained'. Obtaining tape was happened before when lawyer suspected.
So I chose D.

You have not considered the case that "having" may cover "use" as well.

The lawyer suspected that police
1) have illegally taped
2) HAVE used the information to find evidence.

Thus "having taped and used" is alright, and option A, with your reasoning, cannot be eliminated.

Nonethless, the auxiliary verbal "having" cannot cover both "taped" and "used" because "having" is used to depict completion of an action before another action is taken up. If "having" covers both "taped" and "used", then there is no third action that followed the completion of these two events. "Having" can cover ONLY "taped", in which case, "using" is the following action.

i think that it is good to use "having taped and used' because these two actions happen before 'suppected'

so, why A is incorrect?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1321 [2]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Kudos
Ayrish wrote:
The lawyer for the defense charged that she suspected the police of having illegally taped her confidential conversations with her client and then used the information obtained to find evidence supporting their murder charges.

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/07/05/nyregion/tainted-evidence-murder-trial-to-open.html

Mr. Greenblatt charged afterward that he suspected the police of having illegally taped the confidential conversations and then used the information to seek evidence to support their murder charges.

OA is D, however I have concerns according of the answer (q. is form 1000sc), and here they are:
1) they? according to the oxford vocabulary POLICE is singular.
2) I think that USE should be parallel to TAPED because of THAN
...she suspected of having illegaly taped and than used inf....
...she suspected of having illegaly taped and than of using inf.. this one is sound like She first suspected of having... and than she suspected of using... .
Correct me if I am mistaken. Thanx.

thangvietnam wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
HG0815 wrote:
IMO OA is D

1) have illegally taped

So I chose D.

You have not considered the case that "having" may cover "use" as well.

The lawyer suspected that police
1) have illegally taped
2) HAVE used the information to find evidence.

Thus "having taped and used" is alright, and option A, with your reasoning, cannot be eliminated.

Nonethless, the auxiliary verbal "having" cannot cover both "taped" and "used" because "having" is used to depict completion of an action before another action is taken up. If "having" covers both "taped" and "used", then there is no third action that followed the completion of these two events. "Having" can cover ONLY "taped", in which case, "using" is the following action.

i think that it is good to use "having taped and used' because these two actions happen before 'suppected'

so, why A is incorrect?

Same Q! Why is A incorrect? How do we know that the parallel is between "of having" and "of using" and not "taped" and "used"?

I think A seems better than D since it's more concise and avoids conditional "would".
GMATNinja generis daagh
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [5]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
dabaobao wrote:
Same Q! Why is A incorrect? How do we know that the parallel is between "of having" and "of using" and not "taped" and "used"?

Hi dabaobao, we know the parallelism is between of having and of using, because well, both are prepositional phrases (and in fact, start with the same preposition of, which makes the parallelism even more evident).

A can get worse in terms of interpretation. used is used as a verb here. So, used is parallel to the verb suspected on the Left hand side of and. Now, notice the structure of A:

...she suspected...and then used...

This means that she used the information obtained to find evidence supporting their murder charges.

This is clearly absurd because the intent is that the police used the information obtained to find evidence supporting their murder charges.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 325
Send PM
hi - I do not understand why D is correct. Can I get some help on this please?

Originally posted by rnn on 30 May 2019, 21:50.
Last edited by rnn on 31 May 2019, 01:43, edited 1 time in total.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7773 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
rnn D is the listed answer! I don't think this is a very good question, though. Is it really an official SC? Hmm . . .
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 325
Send PM
I am sorry DmitryFarber - I meant to say why this answer is correct
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts