Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:34 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 321 [24]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [10]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5228 [9]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [3]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Send PM
Re: Ravi: The highest priority should be given to the needs of [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
A. That the sales department taken by itself is not critical to the company's success as a whole.Ed never says that the sales deptt is not critcal to company's success. He just says that there are other such departments which might be equally critical
B. The ambiguity of term "highest priority".We cant say that - Highest priority is not being questiones- Ed never argues what Ravi means by highest priority
C. That the departments other than sales are more vital to the company's success.Doesnt say more- he says they are 'also' necessary
D. An absurd consequence of its apparent assumption that a department's necessity earns it the highest priority.Correct option - Just because a deptt is necessary doesnt mean that it gets highest prioirty. By that logic- Ed's argument explains- there would be multiple deptts which will nee to be given 'highest' priority- an absurdity which cannot be reaslised.
E. That Ravi makes a generalization from an atypical case.Ravi is not making any generalization - Ravi is very clearly and specifically arguing the case for Sales deptt only (that it should be given highest prioirty) Ravi would have been generalising if he would have said something like most critical deptt should be given highest prioirty, for example...etc. that is when he would have given a conclusion on the basis of a single case/example. This doesnt happen in the sentence..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 892 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
This is LSAT pattern. Critical does not mean highest. If it does the "priority" looses meaning since all be highest priority.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5228 [0]
Send PM
Thanks Karishma for the explanation. I can see why the Answer A is wrong, however I am still not sure whether I will be picking up D if this question comes up in exam as Answer choice A is artistically created... its so tempting to go for A... :-D
I would like to ask what strategy do you adopt for such question.. do you paraphrase before moving to answer choices or do you move to answer choices and then negate the options by referring to the stimulus.

Thanks
H

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:
Ravi:
The highest priority should be given to the needs of the sales department, because without successful sales the company as a whole would fail.
Ed:
There are several departments other than sales that must also function successfully for the company to succeed. It is impossible to give the highest priority to all of them

Ed criticizes Ravi's argument by pointing out:

A) That the sales department taken by itself is not critical to the company's success as a whole.
B) The ambiguity of the term "Highest Priority"
C) That the department other than sales are more vital to the company's success.
D) An absurd consequence of its apparent assumption that a department's necessity earns it the highest priority
E) That Ravi makes a generalization from an atypical case.

This one is from Challenging Sets.

Request you to clear the following doubts

1- I narrowed down to A and D and then finally chose A, however it is incorrect. Can we negate the option A on the basis that option A is focusing on Subject Matter not on Argumentative Technique

2- I adopted the similar strategy to the question posted here-
mr-janeck-i-don-t-believe-stevenson-will-win-the-election-90932.html

However, answer turned out to be incorrect. I asked myself what question could have Ravi posted for which Ed providing an answer.
So, the answer turned out to be. i.e Ravi could have posted this question -
Sales department must function successfully for the company to succeed. Hence, it should be given highest priority.
This is what the answer A speaks.

Please let me know where I am going wrong.

Why is (A) wrong?

The question stem asks you the method used by Ed to criticize Ravi. How did Ed criticize Ravi? Did he question Ravi's premises? Did he point out an assumption? Let's find out.

Ravi says that the sales dept MUST function properly for the company to succeed so it should get the highest priority.
Ed says that many other depts MUST function properly too for the company to succeed. You can't give highest priority to all.

Ed doesn't say that the sales dept is not critical. He only says that there are other depts too which are critical. Ravi made an assumption: If a dept is critical, it should be given the highest priority.
Ed points out the absurd consequence of this assumption: Since there are many depts which are critical, this would mean that all of them should be given highest priority. That's not possible. That's how he criticizes Ravi's statement.

The 'Mr Janeck question' is quite different. It asks you for Ms S's interpretation of Mr J's remark. This question asks you for the method used by Ed to weaken Ravi's argument.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
imhimanshu wrote:
Thanks Karishma for the explanation. I can see why the Answer A is wrong, however I am still not sure whether I will be picking up D if this question comes up in exam as Answer choice A is artistically created... its so tempting to go for A... :-D
I would like to ask what strategy do you adopt for such question.. do you paraphrase before moving to answer choices or do you move to answer choices and then negate the options by referring to the stimulus.

Thanks
H

Method of reasoning questions are generally a little harder and a little difficult to figure. Generally, it is a good idea to paraphrase in your own words and think of what you are looking for in the options but it is a little harder to do in these questions. Nevertheless, (D) makes complete sense here. The higher level questions include options which tempt you. Try to stick to what is most logical.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5228 [0]
Send PM
Thanks Karishma for the tip. :-)

Per your earlier response, prior to this one, can I safely assume that in Method of Reasoning questions, the criticizer of the argument will either crack the argument by exposing assumption or will question the argument's premises. If it is true, then it gets easier to think of this way then move to the options choices.

Thanks

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:

Thanks
H

Method of reasoning questions are generally a little harder and a little difficult to figure. Generally, it is a good idea to paraphrase in your own words and think of what you are looking for in the options but it is a little harder to do in these questions. Nevertheless, (D) makes complete sense here. The higher level questions include options which tempt you. Try to stick to what is most logical.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
imhimanshu wrote:
Thanks Karishma for the tip. :-)

Per your earlier response, prior to this one, can I safely assume that in Method of Reasoning questions, the criticizer of the argument will either crack the argument by exposing assumption or will question the argument's premises. If it is true, then it gets easier to think of this way then move to the options choices.

Thanks

Actually, no. If you have to criticize an argument, you are essentially trying to weaken it. You can weaken an argument in many ways (though, weaken focuses mainly on the conclusion but you can criticize an argument by questioning the premises too). These are just some things that came to my mind when I thought about 'criticizing'.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Kudos
Chose D.

Ravi states that company success is because of sales and needs of the sales department should be catered with highest priority.
Ed states that company's success depends on smooth working of many other departments as well and their needs should also be catered to. Highest priority cannot be given to all the departments.

An absurd consequence of its apparent assumption that a department's necessity earns it the highest priority - Correct Choice
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
I was actually between B and D and wound up going with D.

I don't have a concrete explanation, but some of the others' reasoning makes sense. I guess "high priority" as a term isn't that vague.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Between A and D
A. That the sales department taken by itself is not critical to the company's success as a whole.

Ed just says that there are other departments which might be equally important. He never says sales dept is not critical. Ruled out.

D. An absurd consequence of its apparent assumption that a department's necessity earns it the highest priority.
Here, Ed attacks the assumption made by ravi not the conclusion.
Just because a deptt is necessary doesnt mean that it gets highest prioirty.

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts