Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:10 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [6]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance and Consulting
Schools:Kellog,Georgetown,OSU
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Send PM
Re: That many individuals were not vaccinated against the virus before its [#permalink]
Thanks guys . D is indeed right. Do u think that this is a tough one ??

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: General Management
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Send PM
Re: That many individuals were not vaccinated against the virus before its [#permalink]
It was tough for me and took time (2 mins).
I picked D, though.

same reasoning as, bgrocker79
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
zest4mba wrote:
Can someone explain how to tackle this one

That many individuals were not vaccinated against the virus before its resurgence cannot plausibly be argued that it is their fault: researcher Sam Daniels, one of the leading experts on the virus, reported a quarter-century ago that the virus was effectively contained and that no action beyond education was necessary.

1)That many individuals were not vaccinated against the virus before its resurgence cannot plausibly be argued that it is their fault

2)That many individuals were not vaccinated against the virus before its resurgence cannot plausibly be argued to be at fault

3)It cannot plausibly be argued that it is the fault of individuals who were not vaccinated against the virus before its resurgence

4)It cannot plausibly be argued that individuals are at fault for not receiving vaccination against the virus before its resurgence

5)The fact that individuals are at fault for not receiving vaccination against the virus before its resurgence cannot plausibly be argued

My answer is also D.
A and B have an awkward construction. When a sentence begins with "That....is (or do) something...." it almost always should be changed with "It....that...".
E is wordy and difficult to understand because there is a long modifier between "The fact..." and "...cannot be plausibly understand."
C is wordy compared to D: "...it is the fault of individuals..." vs "...individuals are at fault..".
Thus, we have D.
I think the question is difficult enough and takes some efforts to find the correct answer. :)
Manager
Manager
Status:Not afraid of failures, disappointments, and falls.
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 260
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
WE:Operations (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
I picked D just read it in reverse, only D makes sense. A & B are because of "that many individuals......an not plausibly be argued that it is" is awkward, instead it should come before plausibly be argued that
C is wordy as compared to D so out.
In E unnecessary addition of "the fact that"

So it leaves D as a best choice.
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3945 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
+1 D

The first "it" is a placeholder.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Send PM
zest4mba wrote:
Thanks guys . D is indeed right. Do u think that this is a tough one ??

Posted from my mobile device

woah!! D makes sense ... but "wordy but correct" option caught my eye first ... any good trick to get these correct .. may be not!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Send PM
"C. It cannot plausibly be argued that it is the fault of individuals who were not vaccinated against the virus before its resurgence"

C is wrong not only because it is wordy - it is gramatically incorrect as well.
I think for C to be correct it will have to replace 'who' with 'that' - "It cannot plausibly be argued that it is the fault of individuals that they were not vaccinated against the virus before its resurgence"
In the current form the sentence doesnt complete the meaning - it says who is at fault but it doesnt say what is the fault(that they were not vaccinated)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
does anyone feel that "for not receiving vaccination" in option D is slightly changing the meaning of original
"were not vaccinated" vs "for not receiving vaccination"?
any thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: N.C.C.
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Got "D" in 1:32
Explanations are next to each option
zest4mba wrote:
Can someone explain how to tackle this one

That many individuals were not vaccinated against the virus before its resurgence cannot plausibly be argued that it is their fault: researcher Sam Daniels, one of the leading experts on the virus, reported a quarter-century ago that the virus was effectively contained and that no action beyond education was necessary.

1)That many individuals were not vaccinated against the virus before its resurgence cannot plausibly be argued that it is their fault Too ambiguous, also it uses passive voice where it is not needed

2)That many individuals were not vaccinated against the virus before its resurgence cannot plausibly be argued to be at fault Wrong use of passive voice "were not vaccinated"

3)It cannot plausibly be argued that it is the fault of individuals who were not vaccinated against the virus before its resurgence "very close to the correct choice only odd against it is that it uses passive voice"

4)It cannot plausibly be argued that individuals are at fault for not receiving vaccination against the virus before its resurgence "Best choice"

5)The fact that individuals are at fault for not receiving vaccination against the virus before its resurgence cannot plausibly be argued
"Subject-The fact & verb-can be argued are far apart not an ideal choice"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
Send PM
got it correct in 0:54.
A & B felt awkward to me.
Although 'It' in c is correctly used but 'it is the fault of individuals' is kinda wordy.
D:correct because - clear, concise and idiomatically correct.
E:wrong cos 'individuals are at fault' is not a fact.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
A,B - We need "The Fact or something which postpones the use of 'that' ".

We are left with C,D, and E

We need to specify the fault of individuals for not receiving vaccination. We don't need to describe the individuals as people who were not vaccinated. Hence we can omit C and E.

D- Correctly specifies that 'act of not receiving vaccination is not the fault of individuals'
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts