Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 680 Q39 V44
GPA: 3.09
WE:Project Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Stacy Blackman Consulting Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Post-Prep, Pre-GMAT Evaluation. Concerned with Mediocrity. [#permalink]
So I sat for my first real GMAT this past Saturday and got a 680 (39Q/44V), which I'm incredibly happy about! I was hoping for a 700, but with my highest mock test score being 640 and the fact that I was about ready to walk out of the test center based on how I felt after the quant section, I'll gladly take it!

I came out 85th percentile overall, 97th percentile in verbal, and 57th percentile in quant. It's bitter sweet since I matched my highest quant score, but it's such a poor percentile rank.

So, where do you think this leaves me? I'm far from the 80/80 split I've heard top b-schools like and I've also excelled at the less-important half of the test (or at least I get the feeling it's less important). But I'm very pleased with my overall composite. Is this a clear retake scenario or should I focus more on essays and apps? Time is not an issue for me--I'm not even sure I'll be applying to schools this year.

Thanks!
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi biehniac,

Congratulations on your score. Where you go from here depends on a number of factors. First, which business schools are you considering? Once you have identified the programs, we can look at their average GMAT scores and ranges.

With regards to the quant section, do you have work experience in areas where quantitative skills would be used more often (Ex: finance) or do you have a history of doing well in undergraduate quant classes (Ex: statistics or finance)?

Most MBA programs will only focus on your highest GMAT score, so many companies (including ourselves) often recommend to take the GMAT twice, particularly if you believe you can improve your score significantly.

Hope to hear from you.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Stern is still my dream school, but I've really become interested in Boston University's program. I'm also interested in Duke, Georgetown, Emory, and UNC: Kenan-Flagler. Like I said before, I want to study investment management and economics.

In college, I performed marginally in Calculus and Stats, but had a good GPA in my economics and quantitative business classes (financial management and financial accounting). My job has always required me to work with numbers, but it has been heavier on reporting than quantitative analysis.

I'm thinking about buckling down and putting in another month of 2hr/day studying of quantitative material. I was starting to feel, though, by the time I took my test, that I was simply going through problem after problem and not necessarily retaining any new skills. I was using Princeton Review prep, which teaches you workarounds and backsolving (like plugging in the answer on DS/PS with variables). I wonder if something like Manhattan GMAT would be better suited for my quantitative learning style, i.e. understanding the reasoning behind an answer and solving it more traditionally/mathematically.
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi biehniac,

The Manhattan GMAT prep books do a great job of going in-depth into specific concepts (there are 8 books in total, each focusing on one part of the test.) Kaplan also has a book focused on higher end questions, which may help given the high percentile of your score.

We also have a free GMAT section with tips here: https://www.stacyblackman.com/category/gmat/

Also, if you're ever stumped on a question, feel free to post it on our Facebook Page and we'll be happy to help: https://www.facebook.com/StacyBlackmanConsulting

Hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Conrad
GMAT Club Bot