Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:18 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 392 [64]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [30]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [18]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1133 [12]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Re: The complex tax dispute between the Covered Bridge Mall and Harris Tow [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
C

Lesson from sticky by anandnk:

Use each when the parties are more separate, and use both when the parties are collaborating.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [6]
Send PM
Re: The complex tax dispute between the Covered Bridge Mall and Harris Tow [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
iced_tea wrote:
The complex tax dispute between the Covered Bridge Mall and Harris Township is not likely to be adjudicated for several years, and, in the meantime, both sides are intent on creating difficulties for the other.

(A) both sides are intent on creating difficulties for the other
(B) both sides are intent on creating difficulties for each other
(C) each side is intent on creating difficulties for the other
(D) each side is intent on creating difficulties for one another
(E) the sides are both intent on creating difficulties for each other

C. "each ......... other" for two nouns.
"each ........ another" for more than two nouns.

"both ...... on each other" is not an idiomatic.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5420 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Whats wrong with B?

B is also having each other.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 488 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
ykaiim wrote:
Whats wrong with B?

B is also having each other.

The key lie in the context...

If you say >>> both teams working together...>>> It's a positive context
If you say >>> each team is working against other...>>> It's a negative context

I mat not be very clear.. But if understood, it's the key here..
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5420 [2]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Kudos
I think I go it.

For two parties both EACH...OTHER and EACH OTHER are correct option. In (C):
each side is intent on creating difficulties for the other [side]

The SIDE is removed in the end of the choice.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3223 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Bookmarks
I am still confused about what is wrong in A and B....:(...can someone please explain

Does the word 'other' and 'each other' in option A and B refer to third parties?...also is the word 'both' referred incorrectly in both A and B?...are these the reasons for A and B to be wrong?

The complex tax dispute between the Covered Bridge Mall and Harris Township is not likely to be adjudicated for several years, and, in the meantime, both sides are intent on creating difficulties for the other.

A. both sides are intent on creating difficulties for the other

B. both sides are intent on creating difficulties for each other

C. each side is intent on creating difficulties for the other

D. each side is intent on creating difficulties for one another - one another should be used for a group of more than 2 people or things

E. the sides are both intent on creating difficulties for each other - awkward
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
seekmba wrote:
I am still confused about what is wrong in A and B....:(...can someone please explain

Does the word 'other' and 'each other' in option A and B refer to third parties?...also is the word 'both' referred incorrectly in both A and B?...are these the reasons for A and B to be wrong?

D. each side is intent on creating difficulties for one another - one another should be used for a group of more than 2 people or things

see my post
The intendent meaning is to contrast two disputing parties with the actions of each of them in the meantime. I mean that first part of the sentence describes the dispute between two parties, second part says [intends to contrast] that each of them intent on creating difficulties.

Both is wrong here because:
both (Cambridge Dictionary) - (referring to) two people or things together! Here they compete against each other.

each other - used to show that each person in a group of two people does something to the other
other - refers to 3rd parties outside the group.

gimme kudos ))
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Bookmarks
Pkit wrote:
seekmba wrote:

see my post
The intendent meaning is to contrast two disputing parties with the actions of each of them in the meantime. I mean that first part of the sentence describes the dispute between two parties, second part says [intends to contrast] that each of them intent on creating difficulties.

Both is wrong here because:
both (Cambridge Dictionary) - (referring to) two people or things together! Here they compete against each other.

each other - used to show that each person in a group of two people does something to the other
other - refers to 3rd parties outside the group.

gimme kudos ))

I think I got what the wrong with B: "both" and "each other" have the same meaning so is redundant.

But I am still not clear what is the problem with A

A. both sides(together both ) are intent on creating difficulties for the other (third party )

how is this different from C ?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
jn.mohit wrote:

I think I got what the wrong with B: "both" and "each other" have the same meaning so is redundant.

But I am still not clear what is the problem with A

A. both sides(together both ) are intent on creating difficulties for the other (third party )

how is this different from C ?

Look, Covered Bridge Mall and Harris Township are enemies they compete against each other. If for example third company XYZ would appear, one of competitors either Mall or Harris (let it be Mall) if form an alliance with XYZ, they together (both of them) would create difficulties for the other (Harris).

Given the example, only two parties are presented and they compete against each other, and not together.

Hope it helps,

gimme kudos!)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
In the context, between the use of ‘both sides’ and ‘each side’, I believe that ‘each side’ is to be preferred. Using ‘both sides’ may lead to the unintentional distortion in meaning that both sides are jointly planning something. A, B and E are out.

Between C and D, E is faulty for using ‘one another’, which I think is usable for a set of more than two, while the usage of 'for the other' in C is straight. C is the best.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: N.C.C.
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
But choice "B" clearly states that "both sides......for...each other..." I don't think that the sentence here portray "both sides" as a clubbed entity!!
ur views??

daagh wrote:
In the context, between the use of ‘both sides’ and ‘each side’, I believe that ‘each side’ is to be preferred. Using ‘both sides’ may lead to the unintentional distortion in meaning that both sides are jointly planning something. A, B and E are out.

Between C and D, E is faulty for using ‘one another’, which I think is usable for a set of more than two, while the usage of 'for the other' in C is straight. C is the best.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: General
WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst
Send PM
MSDHONI wrote:
But choice "B" clearly states that "both sides......for...each other..." I don't think that the sentence here portray "both sides" as a clubbed entity!!
ur views??

google this question and you will find instructor opinions on this question, here is a snippet from Ron:
i agree that (c) is the best of these choices, but i don't see a good reason why (b) is definitively wrong - it's just not as "pretty" as (c).
what's the source of this problem? why doesn't anyone ever say where these problems are from?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
A - 'both sides are intent on creating difficulties for the other'. If 'both sides' (i.e. the two sides together) are creating difficulties, there in no 'other' left for them to create difficulties for. Incorrect.

C - 'each side is intent on creating difficulties for the other'. For each side, 'other' is the side not mentioned, and they are creating difficulties for that side. Correct.

C it is.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
MSDHONI wrote:

not problem of preference

if we you "each other", "both' is redundant

"if we use "one another", there are more than 3 person

all other choices but C aquire the above errors.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 654
GMAT 1: 540 Q41 V23
GMAT 2: 570 Q44 V24
GMAT 3: 550 Q44 V21
GMAT 4: 660 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.31
WE:Science (Other)
Send PM
Can someone shed a light between B and C?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Aves wrote:

Correct: EACH side is intent... on THE OTHER. [THE OTHER refers to the second party.]
Correct: BOTH sides are intent... on EACH OTHER. [EACH OTHER or ONE ANOTHER designates a reciprocal relation between two (or more) entities]

Wrong: BOTH sides are intent... on THE OTHER. [There is no third OTHER party here.]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 321 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
Aves wrote:

Correct: EACH side is intent... on THE OTHER. [THE OTHER refers to the second party.]
Correct: BOTH sides are intent... on EACH OTHER. [EACH OTHER or ONE ANOTHER designates a reciprocal relation between two (or more) entities]

Wrong: BOTH sides are intent... on THE OTHER. [There is no third OTHER party here.]

Hi sayantanc2k,

The option B Says " Both sides are intent ...for each other" (not the other)

Are you referring to the difference in the preposition on & for?

Do you think we can eliminate the choices by following reasoning :
Each is for separate groups & both is for collaborativery groups

I fell for B. :(
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts