Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: 2 Months to go Need Help! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
akhileshgupta05 wrote:
Well like I said I have been slogging for almost a month, I finished rs aggarwal but what I really need to work on is DS, where should I practise that from?

Posted from my mobile device

Check out some articles on Veritas blog that talk about how to handle DS questions. Many of them discuss inequalities questions too.

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2011/02 ... or-beware/

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2011/01 ... t-above-i/

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2010/10 ... er-pulled/

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2011/01 ... -part-iii/

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2011/01 ... edore-did/

We have a book exclusively for DS. You can check it out at:
https://www.amazon.com/Data-Sufficiency- ... 093&sr=1-1

It discusses strategies to handle DS and the common pitfalls. Mind you, it does not focus on just 'Math', it focuses on how to handle the Math in the DS format. Finally, the trick is to play it cool. You have a worthy opponent in a DS question. Don't be in a hurry to steamroll over it. Take your time, analyze each statement and then both together if needed. Steal time from the PS questions to allot a little extra to the DS questions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Sounds great will definitely check it out.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
1)Are the books RC99- SC Grail worth the purchase even though I have Manhattan Guides ?

Would definitely recommend RC99 for additional RC practice. Some of the passages are a little off and some answers vague, but overall I think it really prepares you well for the RCs that appear on the GMAT. If you are finding Manhattan SC difficult to absorb then the SC Grail would be a great buy since it is much easier to understand. It is also a good book if you want to quickly revise the SC concepts tested on the GMAT. However, it doesn't offer anything that the Manhattan SC doesn't have, so if you are comfortable with Manhattan SC then skip this. Or just buy both the books, they are quite cheap anyway.

Quote:
2)Where should I practise DS from - I got almost 12-15 questions in every CAT and I want to master it.

I think first the OGs. While the PS questions in the OGs are lousy, I think they have decent DS questions, specially the later ones.

Quote:
3) Any other good books which I am missing out - I dont mind spending time since I aint working and am only concentrating on GMAT.

I think you are good to go. :-D All the best!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
okay.. sounds good... thanks for the good response man.
+1 Kudos to you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 496 [0]
Given Kudos: 161
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.9
WE 1: Business Development
Send PM
Karishma - is there any way to use the graph system when we have inqualities with |x|?

it is a very good and intuitive way to solve this kind of question. but i want to understand in what questions exactly its rly usable.

thanks.

I would be happy to know how u solve this question.

4. Are x and y both positive?
(1) 2x-2y=1
(2) x/y>1

thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
This once is not that difficult, question is x,y>0 ?

2. X/y>1 we cab deduce that both x and y have the same sign and x is more than y. But insufficient since they be positive or negative.

1. 2x-2y=1
or, x-y=1/2
by plugging in values we can see this constraint is valid only when x>y and both are positive or y>x both negative. But it doesn't say which one. So insufficient .

Combining both we know now x>y hence positive and answer is C. Combined sufficient

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
144144 wrote:
Karishma - is there any way to use the graph system when we have inqualities with |x|?

it is a very good and intuitive way to solve this kind of question. but i want to understand in what questions exactly its rly usable.

thanks.

I would be happy to know how u solve this question.

(1) 2x-2y=1
(2) x/y>1

thanks.

The post https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2011/01 ... h-to-mods/
discusses how to graph mods and use them in questions. Though it doesn't include inequalities, the concept doesn't change. Let me know if you have any specific questions in mind.

As for this one,
(1) 2x-2y=1
(2) x/y>1

Statement 1: Draw the line 2x-2y=1. You see that the points lie in the 1st, 3rd and 4th quadrants so x and y can be both positive, both negative of x positive y negative. Not sufficient alone.

Statement 2: x/y > 1 implies that x and y should have the same sign and absolute value of x should be greater than y. Not sufficient alone.

Using both together, look at the diagram.
Attachment:
Ques6.jpg
Ques6.jpg [ 8.91 KiB | Viewed 1932 times ]

x and y have the same sign in the 1st and 3rd quadrants but absolute value of x will be greater than that of y only in 1st quadrant. (Slope of the line is 1 so x and y co-ordinates increase by the same amounts. In first quadrant, x is 1/2 more than y at every point. In third quadrant, y is 1/2 more than x - considering absolute value - at every point) In first quadrant, x and y are both positive to it is sufficient.
Answer (C)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 496 [0]
Given Kudos: 161
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.9
WE 1: Business Development
Send PM
amazing. so simple when u understand how to work with it... need to practice it more. +1

thanks karishma
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
144144 wrote:
amazing. so simple when u understand how to work with it... need to practice it more. +1

thanks karishma

I am glad you are finding it useful. Once you get the hang of it, it takes moments to get the answer in most cases! Keep practicing. Also, let me add here that all these concepts will come in handy while doing MBA and in your job too. A lot of things will be obvious and intuitive to you once you understand these basics. Getting a feel for Math gives you a lifelong edge. Anyway, enough of gyan!
GMAT Club Bot