Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:17 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Status:Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Knewton online course. Review. [#permalink]
Av wrote:
When I took the Knewton course, they were still a new company and the features were probably a little different. Believe it or not, they actually used to advertise a free Mini-MBA Course taught by an HBS professor, but they never followed through on that promise (sadly). Looking at their marketing materials now, it looks like the "Premium Live" course differs from the "Complete Prep" in two ways:

1) Premium Live allows you to attend the classes live (instead of watching archived videos).
*It's nice to be able to ask the instructor questions, but a lot of people prefer to watch archived videos at their own pace. For me, this feature wouldn't be worth paying an extra $340 for.

2) Premium Live provides an additional 8 months of access.
*If you finish your prep in 2-3 months, like most people do, I'd be surprised if you ever login to your Knewton account again (especially 12 months after you start the course). I wouldn't pay $340 for this feature either.

If I were considering Knewton today, I'd choose the Complete Prep course.

Thanks, Av! That's the precise answer that I was expecting to receive (how the LIVE chatting-classes add value to your prep?).

I have got a discount proposal (verified by Knewton) from my friend just after throwing this Q. The discount (50%) will save US$ 345 if I buy the Premium Live course. Do you think it would worth a shot? Or, had it been you instead of me, you would have still gone for the Complete Prep course?

Sorry for the constant poking, Av! :-P
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
Send PM
I Agree with Av.
If I had to choose again, I will go with the Complete prep course (this option was not available when I did the course). However, with you discount I will go with the full course. It's going to be one of your best investments!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
malbec wrote:
I Agree with Av.
If I had to choose again, I will go with the Complete prep course (this option was not available when I did the course). However, with you discount I will go with the full course. It's going to be one of your best investments!

Thanks, malbec!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
Kudos
i've been browsing the forums after a recommendation from a friend, but haven't really posted. just wanted to add my feedback regarding knewton.

i studied on my own for the gmat for several months, using the official guide, kaplan, kaplan 800, and several manhattan gmat books, and initially got a 700. i wanted to get a little higher to improve my chances at a top tier school, so i decided to take it again. i came across knewton and its 50 point guarantee, so i decided to go for it. i honestly don't think i learned all that much from having attended the sessions, but the extra practice problems were helpful just to get more exposure to problems and to work on my timing. as has already been mentioned, the scoring for the practice exams are a bit peculiar, but nonetheless were good practice. in the end, i ended up getting a 730, which i hope will be good enough to get me into a top school when i do actually apply.

since i didn't improve my score by 50 points, i'll be getting a refund from knewton for my course. looking back on the course itself, the lessons themselves weren't all too helpful, but the additional drills and exercises were. since it's an online program, it also helps that i was able to do the problems at work on my computer during down time. overall, if i were to do it again, i'd sign up for knewton- if you already have a decent score on a previous gmat sitting, it's basically a good way to hedge your bets and also get additional practice preparation in for the next exam.

hope this helped, and if anyone has any specific question/s please let me know.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sesamemochi wrote:
i've been browsing the forums after a recommendation from a friend, but haven't really posted. just wanted to add my feedback regarding knewton.

i studied on my own for the gmat for several months, using the official guide, kaplan, kaplan 800, and several manhattan gmat books, and initially got a 700. i wanted to get a little higher to improve my chances at a top tier school, so i decided to take it again. i came across knewton and its 50 point guarantee, so i decided to go for it. i honestly don't think i learned all that much from having attended the sessions, but the extra practice problems were helpful just to get more exposure to problems and to work on my timing. as has already been mentioned, the scoring for the practice exams are a bit peculiar, but nonetheless were good practice. in the end, i ended up getting a 730, which i hope will be good enough to get me into a top school when i do actually apply.

since i didn't improve my score by 50 points, i'll be getting a refund from knewton for my course. looking back on the course itself, the lessons themselves weren't all too helpful, but the additional drills and exercises were. since it's an online program, it also helps that i was able to do the problems at work on my computer during down time. overall, if i were to do it again, i'd sign up for knewton- if you already have a decent score on a previous gmat sitting, it's basically a good way to hedge your bets and also get additional practice preparation in for the next exam.

hope this helped, and if anyone has any specific question/s please let me know.

It's going to be another post that encourages me to take a side for Knewton!

Thanks, sesamemochi!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
no problem, and good luck w/ your studying! if you have any questions about knewton/the gmat in general, please feel free to reach out to me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Great info here and good luck Schawjibb for day after tommorrow :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 558 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
After checking the above reviews of Knewton I tried searching for them. However, their site shows no information. It seems as if they have shut down their site.

Any recommendations?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Hoozan,

It's been about a month since we last discussed your studies. In answer to your immediate question in this post: Knewton stopped administering its GMAT Course years ago, which is why there's nothing about it on the Knewton website (and why nobody at GMATClub talks about Knewton any more). Considering all of the various GMAT products that you can learn more about on GMATClub though, why were you researching a product that nobody has used in years?

Last month, you mentioned that you were planning to retake the GMAT at the end of November. Is that still your plan?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Director
Director
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Hoozan,

It's been about a month since we last discussed your studies. In answer to your immediate question in this post: Knewton stopped administering its GMAT Course years ago, which is why there's nothing about it on the Knewton website (and why nobody at GMATClub talks about Knewton any more). Considering all of the various GMAT products that you can learn more about on GMATClub though, why were you researching a product that nobody has used in years?

Last month, you mentioned that you were planning to retake the GMAT at the end of November. Is that still your plan?

Rich

Hi, EMPOWERgmatRichC Yes it certainly is. I have been focusing on giving my mocks while at the same time work on certain conceptual gaps in quant. Just yesterday, I gave an Experts Global Mock and scored a 680 (Q48V35). Feeling relatively confident about my time management I plan going ahead with a MGMAT or as ,you suggested, an official mock.

The reason why I was searching for an online program is because I am looking for some good verbal content for practice. While I am investing a lot of my time in improving my quant score I do not want to neglect my verbal prep. I study for 4 hours for quant (2hrs -1hr break - 2hrs 1hr break: thanks for this tip :) ) But I want to take out 2hrs and just practice some verbal.

I have exhausted the OG material for all three subsections. For RC I've moved to LSAT (which I find helpful as it is improving my comprehension skills but at the same time I find the questions not that difficult/confusing as I see on the hard GMAT passages) BUT for SC and CR I am kind of stuck.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Hoozan,

When you say that you have worked through all of the OG materials, what versions of the book(s) are you referring to? Have you used any of the subject-specific books (such as the Verbal-only OG)?

Rich
Director
Director
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Hoozan,

When you say that you have worked through all of the OG materials, what versions of the book(s) are you referring to? Have you used any of the subject-specific books (such as the Verbal-only OG)?

Rich

So on GMAT CLUB I filtered OG, QR and VR questions and used them for practice. Based on my errors in quant and sc I have made an extensive error log and most of my practice for now involves practicing the questions from my error log
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9