Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Founder, Amerasia Consulting Group
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [2]
Given Kudos: 264
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Stanford, HBS, Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, LBS, Kellogg
 Q49  V46
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [3]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Send PM
Re: 2012 Columbia Essays Analyzed [#permalink]
Hi Paul!

Do you think that I should explain in my essays a low GPA being an international student?

Could my age (almost 33 at the beginning of the MBA) be a disadvantage to get in? Do I need to comment it too?

Thank you in advance,

Etreus
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Schools:Stanford, HBS, Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, LBS, Kellogg
 Q49  V46
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Thanks for the info!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Columbia is a dream school. I actually found last year's essay 2 to be quite interesting. I wish they had kept it.
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Etries, you should definitely hit us up for a free consult - just email mba@amerasiaconsulting.com. Short answers though - we tend to think you avoid "explaining" weaknesses if that means apologizing for them or coming up with a tired excuse. But if you want to "explain" a weakness by demonstrating evidence of power in that same area, then by all means. So for low GMAT, you should show strong intellect, strong problem solving and problem management skills, strong quant skills, and strong verbal skills ... voila, you have now demonstrated the very things the test covers. Can you duck the numerical impact on the class average (and, thus, the rankings)? Not likely. But contextual arguments within the essays are the strongest way to mitigate a weakness. Never just state it and then give an excuse.

As for your age, it's nothing but a number. What matters more is where you are in your career arc, how you interact with different ages of people, can you integrate, lead + follow, and - most importantly - does the degree still make a ton of sense. If the MBA is appropriate, your age won't matter much at most schools. Some (ahem, HBS) are getting younger, no doubt about it. Others (Kellogg, Haas) are staying entrenched in a bit older numbers. The rest are more or less just finding great applicants and going with it - and more good applicants are younger these days, so the overall #s have inched down. But it's no grand conspiracy to cut out "older" applicants. If you are 33 and this degree makes since and you have a story to tell, own and sell it. Make it happen.

Hcueva, you are welcome.

GiJoedude, we liked it too, because it created such a massive information advantage for those in the know. So many people bungled that essay last year that obviously CBS had no choice to but to make some changes. Too bad for our clients and others locked in, because that was proving to be an easy way to stand out. That said, as our blog post indicates, we still think this application is like putting together IKEA furniture - follow the directions carefully, take breaks for Swedish meatballs, don't cut any corners, and then it will *usually* turn out just like you planned. Few MBA programs have shown their hand like Columbia and it's just up to everyone on this side of the fence to avoid the disaster errors and to scoop up all the points. Game time!

Thanks for commenting, all three of you.

Best,
Paul
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I forgot to mention that the Essay #2 from two years ago - the one about Master Classes - is another hint for this year's applicant. You would be wise to at least mention it in the Why Columbia section of your career goals essay.
-PL
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi Paul,

I've done 2 years of investment banking and looking to change careers the first step of which includes working for an NGO in the next year. I plan to submit my MBA application before I actually do the switch from IB to NGO while I can still get strong recommendations from my bosses. How would I work in the work that I will be doing for a year before starting my MBA into my essays? is that kind of what the 4th optional essay is for? do you have any idea how long that should be?

Thanks a lot,

Chris
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Chris, go ahead and PM me, email us at mba@amerasiaconsulting.com, or even post in the Ask Paul forum ... just so we can keep this thread focused specifically on the Columbia essays.

But the short answer is that you want to make sure that your career decisions and steps are central to your explanation of your goals. Which, of course, further means that your decisions and steps should be central to your progress and goals to begin with. As long as what you are doing makes sense, then you will want to discuss it for sure.

Thanks for reaching out.

-PL
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi all,

We have been getting a lot of questions about the new Columbia essays, so I wanted to bump this thread up to get more visibility on our blog post on the subject. People have found our insights on this particular matter helpful, so we just want to make sure people see it and have a chance to read it before emailing or calling. (Not that we don't want to hear from you as well:)

Good luck out there.

-PL
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Count me in for 2nd round application (Columbia).

What is the current Columbia's top MBA ranking?
Send PM
Expert Reply
Izvos,

Note that Columbia does not have "rounds" in the traditional sense. They have an Early Decision intake with an October deadline. This is binding application, meaning that if you are accepted, you are obligated to put down a deposit on a seat in the class. Then they have "regular" decision, running through the spring. In actuality, we feel like early January acts a round two of sorts with CBS.

As for its ranking, Columbia is seemingly always in the top 10 among U.S. business schools. The degree tends to have good "carry" though, meaning that pretty much all pockets of the world recognize CBS and think it is a good school. So while there might be some - even several - programs that can make a case for being "better," you could argue that CBS has top five level brand equity, especially in the NE and abroad.

Anyway, hopefully that helps you out.

-PL
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
PaulLanzillotti wrote:
Izvos,

Note that Columbia does not have "rounds" in the traditional sense. They have an Early Decision intake with an October deadline. This is binding application, meaning that if you are accepted, you are obligated to put down a deposit on a seat in the class. Then they have "regular" decision, running through the spring. In actuality, we feel like early January acts a round two of sorts with CBS.

As for its ranking, Columbia is seemingly always in the top 10 among U.S. business schools. The degree tends to have good "carry" though, meaning that pretty much all pockets of the world recognize CBS and think it is a good school. So while there might be some - even several - programs that can make a case for being "better," you could argue that CBS has top five level brand equity, especially in the NE and abroad.

Anyway, hopefully that helps you out.

-PL

Thank you. Your post is very helpful! Will consider it during application!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Columbia, ???
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Hi Paul,

Appreciate your valuable insight on Columbia's preference for safe career paths being reflected in a candidate's application.

However my question is, does it differ for someone who intents to pursue entrepreneurial goals immediately post MBA.

Because, my understanding says that any entrepreneurial goal will stem from either huge demand in an industry which may not be unique or from creating a new business proposition or market of its own, which may be unique.

So if your reason belongs to the latter category, will it hamper your prospects.

I'm also writing this because, I intent to pursue a career in waste management & recycling industry as an entrepreneur, not only post my MBA but preferably even during the term at Columbia

While this may not be a run of the mill industry, but it has great potential in a country like India and can also draw lot from the various resources of Columbia (Master Classes in Business of Sustainability) and its subsidiary schools & centers (Earth & Environmental Engg, WTE Center, etc)

So if I highlight this in my application, do you think it'll work for or against me.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Entrepreneurship can work at CBS, but there are some key things to keep in mind, just as with literally another other job:

- Do you have the skills to make it work?
- What evidence do you have that the path is there for you (contacts, momentum, steps already taken)? (Note: entrepreneurship always is a higher bar at any school, because it is so easy to just say "I want to start this" and so many people do that now, so they all want to see a habit of starting things, some progress, or at least detailed vision)
- Make sure you present a backup plan in case you change your mind, the industry shifts, it is harder than you think, etc.

As long as you show thoughtfulness, practicality, due diligence, resilience, etc., it's not as if trying to start your own things is inherently better or worse than trying to land a job at an elite firm. All have degrees of difficulty. It's up to you to put the reader at ease, regardless of your approach.

Hope that helps.

-PL
Send PM
Expert Reply
Entrepreneurship can work at CBS, but there are some key things to keep in mind, just as with literally another other job:

- Do you have the skills to make it work?
- What evidence do you have that the path is there for you (contacts, momentum, steps already taken)? (Note: entrepreneurship always is a higher bar at any school, because it is so easy to just say "I want to start this" and so many people do that now, so they all want to see a habit of starting things, some progress, or at least detailed vision)
- Make sure you present a backup plan in case you change your mind, the industry shifts, it is harder than you think, etc.

As long as you show thoughtfulness, practicality, due diligence, resilience, etc., it's not as if trying to start your own things is inherently better or worse than trying to land a job at an elite firm. All have degrees of difficulty. It's up to you to put the reader at ease, regardless of your approach.

Hope that helps.

-PL
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
It appears this year there is no mention of a re-applicant essay. I did not find it in your blog post and it is not mentioned on the website either. Upto last year, they used to have just one essay that re-applicants could write. They did not really allowed reapplicants to fill out an entire application. What do you infer from this move of Columbia?
Send PM
Expert Reply
Kittu,

It depends on whether it has been a year or more since you last applied. More than a year, you start fresh. Less than a year, you do the single reapp essay.

They break it down here: https://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/admiss ... plications

We did not comment on the reapplication essay because it remains unchanged. Obviously, we have many reapplicant clients applying to CBS so this is a an essay we work on a great deal, but not one that we have analyzed publicly. You can email mba@amerasiaconsulting.com if you are interested in engaging our services.

-PL
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi Paul,

would like to hear your suggestions on the essay #3 option B. If I were to write to run for the cluster chair. Should I focus on my past experience on similar role to show my capability or "leadership" or should I focus on the understanding I have on CBS cluster system and what would I plan to do if I were selected?

Cause it's only 250 words got to find where to focus.

Thanks a lot!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2