Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Finance, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 640 Q42 V35
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 4: 700 Q45 V40
GPA: 2.71
WE:Underwriter (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools: Ross '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Finance, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 640 Q42 V35
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 4: 700 Q45 V40
GPA: 2.71
WE:Underwriter (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Low Undergrad GPA Success Stories [#permalink]
Kudos
One of the most critical pieces to the application is having a compelling and cohesive story (probably preaching to the choir), but I think the emphasis is even greater when competing against other Round 3 applicants and waitlisters for a small number of seats. I think a few points haven't been mentioned that could shed some more light on your competitiveness in R3, namely the archetypical essay questions: What are your career goals? Why do you need an MBA and why now? What have you done to move towards your goals already (what specific skills have been developed and/or what important experiences have you had)?

Best of luck with the decisions!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
GPA: 3.1 from top 10 liberal arts college in US
GMAT: 730
Race / Ethnicity: International (Asian)
WE: Management Consulting 5+ years

This was actually my 3rd year applying to b-school
1st year: Rejected from Booth, Wharton, CBS
2nd year: Waitlisted from Haas, Fuqua. Rejected from Stanford, CBS, Kellogg
3rd year: Accepted to Kellogg (I withdrew my application form Haas and Fuqua)

I'm not really sure what convinced the adcoms to admit me this year given that my GPA and GMAT has not changed. The only difference was my essays and WE.

For those who were not able to get in B-school this year, I just wanted to let you know that its still possible to get into a great school and it is worth trying if you really want to get an MBA
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools: Ross '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
doggdetroit wrote:
I appreciate the concern, but I'm willing to roll the dice at this point. Worst comes to worst, I get rejected at all 4 schools. I do what you allude to in 2) before applying to a few different schools next year in round 1.

It seems that if you wait until the fall, you could take the time to beef up your application, mostly your essays. With your history, I think you're going to need a very compelling story about why you want an MBA and how your work ethic (as it will be perceived by the adcoms from your undergrad) has improved. I'm sure you're not the same person you were back then so with your good GMAT and some really solid essays that answer the "Why MBA? Why now?" questions, you'd probably have success with some of the programs you listed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [31]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Wharton Class of 2013, Columbia (admitted), NYU (admitted), Ross (admitted), Kellogg (w/l)
GPA: 3.01
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi everyone -- long time listener, first time poster! I have been silently absorbing all the great info on this forum throughout my process, but this topic really compelled me to register and contribute because low GPA was my #1 hurdle to getting into business school. A quick takeaway from my experience is that this is definitely a hurdle but NOT a barrier if you think strategically and put together an awesome application package.

I attended a small regional school (unranked nationally) where I majored in business no less, and came away with a low 3.01 GPA for a variety of reasons. Namely, my grades in quantitative courses were low and severely effected my overall GPA. I never admitted to my interest in graduate school because I didn't want to face my GPA and the application process. Finally, last year took the GMAT (700 score on the first try) and applied to business school in exasperation with my current job situation and prospects. Bad idea. I applied to Stanford (don't know why), Stern, and Kellogg. I was rejected from every single one which didn't surprise even me.

This year, I took a totally fresh approach. I researched schools extremely thoroughly and more importantly, spent a lot of time understanding my own strengths, weaknesses, career goals and future plans. I spoke with no less than two dozen people in various fields I was interested in until I had complete clarity into the right career path for myself and an understanding of how bschool fit into that journey. I knew that my story would be the key, so I spent months constantly working on essays to craft the best story possible. I chose only 2 trusted people to review my work over time until we all agreed what I had was near perfect. I always made sure though that no matter what edits were suggested, that the voice and content of the essays was 100% true to me. Also, I made it a point to apply as early as possible which I think helped tremendously.

In crafting my story, I also realized that my current work experience over 5 years is pretty kick ass compared to what a lot of other folks my age have been doing. I have taken on lots of leadership roles and driven tangible results for my company. So I spent an equal amount of time on my resume and created custom versions for each school based on what each tends to look for (based on many conversations with current students and alumni). I highlighted creative marketing projects more prominently on my Kellogg resume, while analytical and leadership projects reigned supreme on my Wharton resume.

Finally, I broke down what a poor GPA means to a school. It means that they're not sure of your general cognitive ability or capacity to succeed in courses and the impact you could have on fellow students. To combat this, I strategically chose two recommenders and asked them to heavily emphasize cognitive abilities to help correct the negative perception my GPA brings about. I took two finance courses, one online course offered by UC Berkeley and one at a local university. I worked very hard to get A's in these classes since I knew a B would really not help reverse negative perceptions. I also wrote the optional essay each school offers to explain a bit about my undergrad experience. I never made excuses but I explained some of the situation and how I know I didn't live up to my academic potential but wish to change that moving forward.

Last, I put it all together - strong resume, crystal clear essays, impressive recs (I hope, I didn't see them), supporting course work, strong EC's, and weak GPA.

Result? I got interviews from every school I applied to and ZERO rejections. In fact, I recently accepted a place with Wharton's class of 2013, one of the toughest evaluators of test scores, GPAs and analytical abilities. I hope this story will show you that an application can be more than the sum of its parts with a little strategic thinking, lots of advance planning time and determination.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2013
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
@ jczgal2011 - Wow... congratulations. Thats absolutely fantastic!

I'm in the low GPA boat myself and when I started this application process, I was a nervous wreck about my low U-GPA. Here are my stats:

GPA: 2.7 non-US university
GMAT: 700 Q47 V38
Waitlisted: Ross, Duke
Admitted: Cornell, Rotman
W.E.: 3 yrs engineering

I realized quite early on that my UGPA might be a huge hinderence so I enrolled in a post-graduate course and aced all my papers. That brought my overall GPA to a respectable number. The rest was all about putting together some good essays + great extra-curricular achievements.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Schools:Ross
 Q50  V45
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
I have been quiet since I got admitted. I am not sure if I should be considered a success story , but here are some ideas for future applicants.

I squandered the opportunities in my undergrad. Something I regret even as I write this post.
Not only did I have an average GPA, I flunked a subject in the last semester.

1)Schools rejected : INSEAD, Kellogg, HAAS, MIT, Wharton
2)School accepted : Ross

Looking back I could have planned my application better. I realised too late that I should have taken some respectable online courses to support my excellent GMAT score. Online courses from Thunderbird or HAAS would have been a good addition.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Schools:Fuqua(no int), Darden(no int), McCombs , Kenan-Flagler, McDonough, Smith(w/$$)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Updating my earlier post with new acceptances:

Much like others, I consider myself lucky, but was able to overcome an abysmal UG GPA

27 year old white male

UG GPA: 2.6 from top 20 college. Philosophy major (wtf was i thinking :roll: ). Addressed head-on GPA in all optional essays and in interviews.
GMAT: 700
WE: 5 years, consulting/sales&marketing. Not for any of the big firms

Applied to:
Duke Fuqua - R2 no interview
UVA Darden - R2 no interview
Georgetown McDonough - Accepted
UMD Smith - Accepted w/ $$
UNC Kenan-Flagler - Accepted
UT Austin McCombs - Accepted

While I got dinged off the bat at UVA and Duke, probably because of my GPA, I think my essays and WE showed the adcoms at the other schools that I have changed significantly since I earned such low marks in undergrad. With a crap GPA like mine, I think you have to make everything else in your package spectacular.

I also tried very hard to put my personality into my essays and make them memorable. My work is traditional and boring, and my stats are not outstanding, so I tried to include other things that would help me stand out.

Dings aside, I feel like getting into several top-25 programs with a 2.6 GPA is definitely a success story.

I haven't made up my mind yet where I'll be heading, but wanted to pass this along to any applicants with a low gpa. GPA isn't a deal breaker.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
My story is different than most others here..... and please don't take my advice, I think I got lucky

29 year old Asian (born in US, grew up in New Zealand) living in LA

UG GPA (Operations Management/Statistics): around 2.6 to 2.7 (got better as the years went on), NZ uses a different scale, so not exactly sure
MSc GPA (Statistics): low 3s
WE: 5 years, biggest video game publisher, biggest entertainment/media company (in Video game division)

Applied to:
Duke - R2, invited to interview, accepted
MIT - R2, waitlist, ding
UCLA - R3, interviewed, withdrew

I wished I had applied to more schools, I studied for around 2 weeks and took the GMAT in Dec thinking I would need to retake anyway, turned out ok, didn't want to study again for a higher score (new born son to look after ) :)
So I ended up with 2 weeks to write essays, again thought I would get dinged anyway so I didn't want to rush and apply to a lot of schools since writing the additional essay about how you have improved and not to mention new topics scared me.... So I only applied to two schools I really wanted to go to.
Didn't like my chances because of the following:
1) Didn't visit any schools nor attend any info sessions/lunch sessions/online chat, etc...
2) Low GPA, it got better as the years went on though (I failed like 4 papers in the first year... Diablo 2...)
3) No writing skills... no english related classes since form 6 in high school (2nd to last year)
4) Didn't have anyone to proof read my essays since I had such a short time frame
5) absolute zero community/extra-curricular activities though Under and Post Grad. (Video Games/Cars/Gambling was my life)
6) GMAT was ok... not excellent especially compared to most of people here.

Not saying my results were a huge success by most peoples standards here.. but here are what I think worked for me
1) I explained about my GPA - I played video games, as simple as that, I logged 600 real life days on Final Fantasy XI MMO during the last 10 years. Other people like doing community work, clubs, etc. I just like Video Games and Modifying cars.
2) My other essays were focused on things I really enjoy - Games and Fast cars and a little about family :)
I wrote about being one of the only 10 people in the FFXI server that has this sword which can only drop from a monster that comes out in game once every 3 real life days and the drop rate is around 10% if you do claim and kill the monster, then you have to win the dice roll for it against your team members... you do the math.
3) My recommenders were awesome, both have had their MBAs and have known me a long time and writes well
4) My essays were not proof read by anyone, I think that helped me.... it probably reads different than some really refined essays, I wrote more like how I speak in real life.
5) Maybe the Company I worked at are well know and that helps (not really sure about this one)
6) I wasn't really sure about putting down around 5 extra-curricular activities that were all things like FFXI guild leader, WOW guild member, Car clubs, but guess it didn't hurt me... better than blanks I guess :)
7) All the papers I failed, I had DNS (did not sit, which means I didn't even go to the exams, and all those papers I later got A's or high B's on, but yeah DNS really hurt my GPA). I guess this is a good sign? shows I can do the work, just that school wasn't most important, getting my Windforce in Diablo 2 was more important :) .. for all the Diablo players out there

So yeah, I hope anyone that reads this won't be put off trying to go to schools they dream about, it is very easy to do that if you read these forums a lot....
I would recommend writing the real you, show passion, and just try to show who you are.

Sometimes I think about applying to more schools this year since I will have more time to study GMAT, visit schools, network, etc. But what the hell, Duke is awesome, I was born there (left when I was 1 though) and I just don't want/have the time to study and write more essays... I have boxes of games I need to finish and a son to look after.

Best of luck to everyone applying

Originally posted by lulumocha on 25 May 2011, 23:26.
Last edited by lulumocha on 26 May 2011, 10:32, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
lulumocha wrote:
My story is different than most others here..... and please don't take my advice, I think I got lucky

29 year old Asian (born in US, grew up in New Zealand) living in LA

UG GPA (Operations Management/Statistics): around 2.6 to 2.7 (got better as the years went on), NZ uses a different scale, so not exactly sure
MSc GPA (Statistics): low 3s
WE: 5 years, biggest video game publisher, biggest entertainment/media company (in Video game division)

Applied to:
Duke - R2, invited to interview, accepted
MIT - R2, waitlist, ding
UCLA - R3, interviewed, withdrew

I wished I had applied to more schools, I studied for around 2 weeks and took the GMAT in Dec thinking I would need to retake anyway, turned out ok, didn't want to study again for a higher score (new born son to look after ) :)
So I ended up with 2 weeks to write essays, again thought I would get dinged anyway so I didn't want to rush and apply to a lot of schools since writing the additional essay about how you have improved and not to mention new topics scared me.... So I only applied to two schools I really wanted to go to.
Didn't like my chances because of the following:
1) Didn't visit any schools nor attend any info sessions/lunch sessions/online chat, etc...
2) Low GPA, it got better as the years went on though (I failed like 4 papers in the first year... Diablo 2...)
3) No writing skills... no english related classes since form 6 in high school (2nd to last year)
4) Didn't have anyone to proof read my essays since I had such a short time frame
5) absolute zero community/extra-curricular activities though Under and Post Grad. (Video Games/Cars/Gambling was my life)
6) GMAT was ok... not excellent especially compared to most of people here.

Not saying my results were a huge success by most peoples standards here.. but here are what I think worked for me
1) I explained about my GPA - I played video games, as simple as that, I logged 600 real life days on Final Fantasy XI MMO during the last 10 years. Other people like doing community work, clubs, etc. I just like Video Games and Modifying cars.
2) My other essays were focused on things I really enjoy - Games and Fast cars and a little about family :)
I wrote about being one of the only 10 people in the FFXI server that has this sword which can only drop from a monster that comes out in game once every 3 real life days and the drop rate is around 10% if you do claim and kill the monster, then you have to win the dice roll for it against your team members... you do the math.
3) My recommenders were awesome, both have had their MBAs and have known me a long time and writes well
4) My essays were not proof read by anyone, I think that helped me.... it probably reads different than some really refined essays, I wrote more like how I speak in real life.
5) Maybe the Company I worked at are well know and that helps (not really sure about this one)
6) I wasn't really sure about putting down around 5 extra-curricular activities that were all things like FFXI guild leader, WOW guild member, Car clubs, but guess it didn't hurt me... better than blanks I guess :)
7) All the papers I failed, I had DNS (did not sit, which means I didn't even go to the exams, and all those papers I later got A's or high B's on, but yeah DNS really hurt my GPA). I guess this is a good sign? shows I can do the work, just that school wasn't most important, getting my Windforce in Diablo 2 was more important :) .. for all the Diablo players out there

So yeah, I hope anyone that reads this won't be put off trying to go to schools they dream about, it is very easy to do that if you read these forums a lot....
I would recommend writing the real you, show passion, and just try to show who you are.

Sometimes I think about applying to more schools this year since I will have more time to study GMAT, visit schools, network, etc. But what the hell, Duke is awesome, I was born there (left when I was 1 though) and I just don't want/have the time to study and write more essays... I have a boxes of games I need to finish and a son to look after.

Best of luck to everyone applying

Dude that's the most AWESOME story I have ever heard! The fact that you had a 2.6 and MIT considered you for a waitlist (instead of straight out ding) and Duke admitted you is awesome! I have a similar story except that I spent time on the Total War series.
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
I am an international applicant but with a GPA of 2.69/4.00, I was accepted to Duke, Michigan, UCLA, Cornell and UNC, some of them with full-scholarships.

As long as other parts of your application are strong, you can offset the GPA I believe. (However, I am not so sure for the top 5-6 schools).
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
2 questions.

1.) When is the best time to apply with a low GPA, round 1, 2 or 3? I know there are more seats in round 1, but is it true adcoms take more risk in round 2? When is the best time to apply?

2.) Are there any particular schools who are more sensitive (than the others) with low GPAs? Somebody here said MIT. Any else? I want to compare it to my target schools.
Stacy Blackman Consulting Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi gablaze23,

With regards to which round to apply to, you should apply when you feel your application is strongest. The only exception to this rule is that you should avoid applying to the last round. This round tends to be the most difficult to be accepted into.

Hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
StacyBlackman wrote:
Hi gablaze23,

With regards to which round to apply to, you should apply when you feel your application is strongest. The only exception to this rule is that you should avoid applying to the last round. This round tends to be the most difficult to be accepted into.

Hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Hi.

What about applying late to a round? Would that make a difference?

If I apply on the first day of round 2 as opposed to the day of round 2 deadline?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
 Q50  V38
WE 1: Consultant
Send PM
Hi gablaze23,

Most schools have a hard deadline for each round and as long as you have submitted your application before the deadline the application is viewed as favorably as the other applications submitted before yours.

There are some schools with rolling admissions (e.g. Columbia, Dartmouth, etc.) and those I believe that it is always better to submit your application as early as possible. That being said, definitely don't submit an application before it's ready.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Schools:Kellogg School of Management 2013
GPA: 3.06
Send PM
GPA: 3.1 from top engineering school, downward trend
GMAT: 710
WE: Operations and Healthcare (3.5 years)

This was my second year applying to schools - wanted to share because I know I was demoralized at points during this process.
1st year: Applied only to Wharton (all or nothing!), got an interview then dinged
2nd year: Applied to Wharton, Kellogg, Duke, Vanderbilt. Ding no interview from Wharton (low point). Got into Kellogg, Duke, Vandy (w/ $$$)

Looking back, it really feels like a lot of it is figuring out your story. If your story and targeted schools all tie together in a neat package then the GPA/GMAT become data points. I was most excited about Kellogg (where I'm matriculating) and when I interviewed I honestly was so enthusiastic I'm sure it was very apparent. It's very clear when you are passionate about a program and when you are applying because "it's M7" or "it's Harvard". Spend more time figuring out what programs fit and less time applying to schools that someone told you to apply to and it will shine through in the application. Do your research, talk to alums and current students and use that information in your essays.

Best of luck! PM me if you want any more information, happy to help!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Finance, Business
Send PM
josiebella wrote:
Happy to be able to post here as a success story:

1. UG GPA from Dartmouth - 2.9, major in Psychology, Pre-med (3 Ds and 1 F) - needless to say, disastrous

2. Did extra coursework at Columbia Univ Continuing Ed - 5 courses in total, cumulative GPA 3.9

3. GMAT 720

4. Applied to:
NYU R1 - admit w $$
Columbia RD - admit ($ unknown, but doubtful)
Georgetown RD - withdrawn but got interview invite

I think my secret was the extra courses helped a lot. Also I am female, not sure how much that helps.

I am completely inspired.
I recently (this past week in fact) graduated from UC San Diego. I rushed my courses and finished a four year education in three years. However, my gpa...not so great. 2.875. I couldn't take the quarter system anymore, and my sophomore year things went downhill. I was involved in extracurricular activities though, editor in chief of the first fashion magazine on campus...etc. I will be interning for Oscar De La Renta this summer in their finance sector in New York. I hope I'm making the right decision, because I got offered a paid internship with merrill lynch...but in San Diego.
I am currently looking up Columbia's School of Continuing Education. I am very very interested. I was wondering if you have any advice on the admission process...or am I a bit too young and inexperienced to apply?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
 Q50  V38
WE 1: Consultant
Send PM
While I think it's still a bit early for you to apply to business schools, I think it's good that you are thinking about it. I would suggest that you work for a few years and make sure you know what you want to get out of an MBA program when/if you decide to apply.

I don't think your GPA is a deal breaker, but I think you do need to ace the GMAT to give yourself a fair shot at the top tier MBA programs. I was able to overcome my lackluster GPA with a solid story and a very respectable GMAT score.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11