Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:35 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Hello; first time applicant [#permalink]
theConquerer wrote:
:!:

Hello,
I am graduating in fall 2011 as a English major. I want to know if I will have a slight disadvantage when I apply for MBAs. I have a high g.p.a and I am involved in many extra curricular activities. What is the best time to apply? I really want to get a masters in a MBA program. What will I need to know for the GMAT and what is the interview like? What types of questions do they ask me during the interview and will I have to have some knowledge relating to economics or business? It is my first time applying to a business school. If you can help thanks. If I do have a disadvantage, what should I do to be considered when I apply?

Hi There

Not all the people applying to MBA are from management background. Since you are from a different field your different perspective might help you in differentiating your profile from other applicants.

Although you need to have knowledge about your new desired field, so yes you should be updated. This highlights your passion to the admission committee be it via an interview or your essay.

Assuming you are aiming for top schools then a score above 700 is desirable. You need to ensure that academically you are in a good position However it is not just the academics but beyond the academics that will help you in determining your candidature. Check out this article about ECA and how you can use it to leverage your profile. https://futureworks.co.in/knowledgecenter/.Make sure you follow the ‘show rather than tell’ principle so that the admissions committee could really understand your strengths and differentiating factors.”

Generally most of the candidates applying for MBA have a good 4-5 years of work experience. Although it is not just the work experience that counts but also what you did there like- what you did there like-what were your achievements, what initiative you took, what changes you drove in your workplace etc. So if you can show that in terms of work that you have demonstrated the skills business schools are looking for you could put in a strong set of essays.

Also start thinking what makes you unique and what’s that ‘hook’ that will be key to your application.

Keeping all these factors in mind you could make a decision.

All the best!!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
theConquerer wrote:
:!:

Hello,
I am graduating in fall 2011 as a English major. I want to know if I will have a slight disadvantage when I apply for MBAs no, there's no disadvantage but you do need to explain why you think you can make it into your desired field post-MBA.. I have a high g.p.a Great start already!and I am involved in many extra curricular activitiesalso a positive note.. What is the best time to apply?no real answer to this question. Answer is whenever you feel ready to hang around with a bunch of 27/28 year olds who have worked for 3-5 years post undergraduate study. Now, there's also a reason why they are mostly 27-29 years old, so try to be at the norm unless you have some extraordinary thing to share with the class. Talking about your favorite undergrad class simply won't cut it. I really want to get a masters in a MBA programGreat! Now you have to ask yourself, why? Why do you really want to get an MBA? For the title? For the money? To transfer to a job of your desire? Ask yourself why and really answer it for yourself. Only then will you know why you want this MBA.. What will I need to know for the GMAT and what is the interview like? For top 15 MBAs, aim for 700+. For top 30, aim for 650+. Anything below that would really depend on you and the school and its average statistics.What types of questions do they ask me during the interview Tell me about who you are. Give me an example of your leadership ability. Tell me a time when you had a confrontation with your boss [or tell me a time when {fill in the blank}]. Why do you want this MBA? These sort of open-ended questions are the type of questions you will encounter during an b-school admission interview. Google this and you'll find a ton of these questions.and will I have to have some knowledge relating to economics or business?you won't have to know the specific accounting or microeconomics stuff that goes into graduate study level. But yes, you should have a pretty good understanding of business in the real world, in terms of the different industry (or the one that interests you). You should understand what supply&demand is and what it means. But no, you will not be asked for any business-related information during your application and interview process. However, do keep in mind that an MBA is the masters in business administration, so you should have some real-world business knowledge, such as what the debt ceiling is and what it means as it's a current news that's near and dear to everyone. It is my first time applying to a business school. If you can help thanks. If I do have a disadvantage, what should I do to be considered when I apply?First time applicant is fine, you just need to know how to position yourself and convince schools why you should get in. First thing first, and to echo everyone else's response, get a full-time job because without it, you'll face some extreme challenge unless you have some profound internship during college that can subsitute for others' 3-5 years of real, corporate, working experience. Once you start working, then think about it in 3 to 4 years before you dive head first into the application process.
GMAT Club Bot