Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [8]
Given Kudos: 10
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [1]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Re: 750 on First Attempt: My Debrief [#permalink]
Thanks Hussain15!

frederickbenny,

Here is my score on the second and final GMATprep test (4 days before the actual test):

Q-46
V-44

As you can see I was able to increase my quant score by three points. It was probably a little luck but also, I felt that I timed that last practice test poorly but the real test perfectly. On that last GMATprep test I took a little too long on a couple of questions and learned my lesson. If you don't think you will be able to answer a question, move on! I think that this is especially hard for people that are usually good at taking tests because they aren't comfortable giving up on a question.

Anyway, on the real test I skipped two questions that seemed extremely hard and was able to use the extra time to work on two or three questions that were fairly hard but I was able to figure them out because I had a little extra time to work with.

The reason I didn't learn this lesson until the final practice test is because I made a crucial mistake while timing myself during the practice questions. On the practice questions, I would answer 10 or 20 at a time and as long as my average answer time equaled 2 minutes per question I thought I was doing ok. That wasn't accurate though because during the practice questions I would always run into a bunch of easy questions. On the real test, there aren't many "easy" questions though because the test program quickly figures out your skill level and adjusts so that most of the questions are hard or very hard. So I really should have been resetting my stopwatch after I answered each question to make sure I didn't go much over 2 minutes on even the hardest ones. I hope that all makes sense.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Yeah, makes really good sense :)
Thanks for the pointer. Will keep this in mind.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
I took the first Kaplan Prep practice test and scored a 650 (Q-42, V-40) and was pretty happy because I read that their test scores are usually much lower than the official scores. The Kaplan practice test was still a little helpful but I started to notice that their questions just “felt” different than the questions in the official guide. After working with the official guide you can sort of get a feel for what they are looking for and their overall tone. I decided that the Kaplan questions were throwing me off a little so I stopped studying with them.

Quote:
-The Kaplan GMAT questions and tests are ok but you are better off working with as many of the official questions as you possibly can.

I SOOOOOOO agree with this! I thought I was crazy for thinking this. I am glad to see someone else thought so too. I am still taking some Kaplan practice quizzes though just because I ran out of questions!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Congrats buddy !!! I too have just 24-25 days...your post just appeared at right time. All the best with your application process.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Kudos
Super! Congratulations, I think your tips are really helpful..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Schools:LBS, Oxford
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Kudos
congratulations for super duper score
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks for all of the feedback everyone! I received a few questions via private messages and I answered them with private messages but I might as well post my answers here in case they can help someone else. I'm going to also follow up soon with some additional general tips that I didn't list in my first post.

Question #1: I'm having trouble with the Data Sufficiency questions in general. I can't pinpoint the cause at this point so do you have any general tips? Also, any tips on how to choose numbers to plug into formulas to test them?

Response: Sounds like you need a basic strategy for the DS problems and for that I would recommend reading the Princeton Review guide. The official guide is great for practice questions (I don't even like to look at the practice questions in the other books because they throw me off) but the other books have more strategy tips. I thought Princeton Review's strategy for the DS problems was better than Kaplan's.

In that guide they will explain the art of the DS questions better and how to avoid the tricks. They show you how the test makers try to trick you and how not to fall for them. (Note: their "Joe Boggs Thoery" is a good one but don't rely on it completely. I still preferred to trust my instincts)

My process for the DS questions was to read the stem question very carefully and slowly. I would then mark down on my notes whether it asked for a value or a yes/no answer before even looking at the two facts. This was important for me because I was often tricked by the question itself.

For example, I would use the two facts and determine that I didn't have enough information to solve the problem (I couldn't find the number of tickets, the exact percentage, the number of gallons, etc). I would get the question wrong though because I overlooked the fact that the question was just asking for a yes/no answer (were there more than 20 tickets sold, less than 30%, more than 5 gallons, etc) so I actually did have enough info to answer the question because it didn't ask for the exact value.

As for which numbers/values to plug in for the DS questions there is no specific process that I know of but you have to think strategically. Try to use different "types" of numbers. For example: a positive interget, a positive fraction, zero, a negative fraction, a negative interger.

So give the Princeton Review and those tips a shot and it should at least give you the basics to build your own strategy. After that, you should be able to avoid the basic tricks and narrow down your mistakes. Then, you can really analyze your mistakes and find your "blind spots".

Question #2: I'm having trouble with the Reading Comprehension questions. I ran into a difficult one on the test that I don't think I did well on and everything was a haze after that. Any tips?

Respone: I also encountered an extra long Reading Comprehension (RC) question on the real test and it was intimidating. It was very technical and dealt with tree spores. I took some extra time with that one and I think I was able to do ok on it. The important thing is that once I was done with it I moved on to the next one and didn't think about it again.

Here are some tips for the tough RC questions:

1. Make sure to take a break after the quant section. I didn't and it was a mistake because my eyes became fatigued.

2. When reading the passage for the first time, try summarizing each paragraph in your own words before moving on to the next paragraph. For example: after the first paragraph you may say to yourself "the author is stating that he disagrees with a current theory" or "the author is giving background info on earthquakes in the early 1900's".

This will make sure that you are understanding what you are reading before moving on and should help you to be able to link everything together. Otherwise, I have found that I can get to the end of the passage and think to myself "What the heck did I just read?!" and sort of panic.

If you can't summarize the paragraph in your own words, then you didn't really understand it and you're better off re-reading it right then instead of going any further.

Remember, you need to comprehend the passage very well before going on to the questions or you will spend too much time searching through the passage for the specific information you need after you read the question.

3. Read the questions and the possible answers VERY carefully. This seems simple but it's not as easy as it seems. One way the test takers make their hard questions actually hard it by making them tricky. There is often one little word that can change the whole meaning of the question or of a possible answer. Whenever I got a RC question wrong and went back to figure out why I missed it, it was usually because I misread something.

Now, if you do good on the practice tests it might just have been nerves that threw you off on the actual test day. Keep in mind that everyone gets a passage that they find difficult. That is how the test works; it gives you harder questions until you get some wrong and then it knows what level you are at.

The good test takers aren't thrown off by getting a difficult question, even if they don't know the answer. The poor test takers get shaken and can let a tough question throw off their whole section. So keep practicing, go in there with confidence, and you should be fine!
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Insurance)
Send PM
Congratulations and all the best for your applications!+1
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
That's a really good score! congratulations! may I ask what your background is, like work experience, education, how long you've been out of school and working? I know 3.5 weeks of preparation is not enough for me to get that score!

Also, I've been practicing with DS and PS but I'm trying to reserve the official questions for later. I want more practice before I go to the official guide but sometimes I feel like I should concentrate on the official guide, like you mentioned. Would it not be a waste of official questions to concentrate on the official guide? I don't want to run out of official guide questions for my final practice runs.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [1]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
tkyle 19 I wanted to thank you for this post and one suggestion in particular - reading option B first in DS.

Im trying that out beginning today on OG 10 questions and seems to have improved my accuracy already, I succumbed all too often to the "carrying over info from a" GMAT trap.

Rewriting GMAT for the 3rd time on August 3rd.

Thanks buddy!
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V44
Send PM
glenn0613 wrote:
That's a really good score! congratulations! may I ask what your background is, like work experience, education, how long you've been out of school and working? I know 3.5 weeks of preparation is not enough for me to get that score!

Also, I've been practicing with DS and PS but I'm trying to reserve the official questions for later. I want more practice before I go to the official guide but sometimes I feel like I should concentrate on the official guide, like you mentioned. Would it not be a waste of official questions to concentrate on the official guide? I don't want to run out of official guide questions for my final practice runs.

Sure. I have always done well in school while studying very little so my results definitely aren't typical. I grew up in Hawaii and went to college in the midwest of USA and studied advertising. After school I worked in New York City for 6 years as a lower level manager for a book publishing company and then moved back to Hawaii and managed a small audio visual business. So I've been out of school and working for about 7 years.

Thanks for the question. If you will be studying for more than 100 hours total, saving your official guide questions is a good idea. I should have pointed out that since I studied less than 100 hours, the official guide and the additional official guide quant book were just enough (don't forget about that additional official book of quant questions). Since the official guide questions are much better than any other practice questions out there you should finish up with them rather than the ones from Kaplan or Princeton Review.

Good luck on your test!
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Aximili85 wrote:
tkyle 19 I wanted to thank you for this post and one suggestion in particular - reading option B first in DS.

Im trying that out beginning today on OG 10 questions and seems to have improved my accuracy already, I succumbed all too often to the "carrying over info from a" GMAT trap.

Rewriting GMAT for the 3rd time on August 3rd.

Thanks buddy!

Thanks, I'm glad to hear that I could help. The test makers love that trap!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
congratulations on your achievement! Its an outstanding performance. BTW, may i know your profile and what all universities are you applying for?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Kudos
srilekhya wrote:
congratulations on your achievement! Its an outstanding performance. BTW, may i know your profile and what all universities are you applying for?

Sure. I'm a 30 year old male. Originally from Hawaii. Worked in New York City as a lower manager and then back in Hawaii as the director of operations for a small business. 7 years total after college experience.

I applied to St. Gallen University in Switzerland and Mannheim Business School in Germany (my wife is from Germany). I was accepted by both but chose to attend Mannheim Business School.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Kyle
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Great going :) I've given my gmat on july 1st and scored 600. I'm planning to write again in a couple of months. What should be my score to get into a decent b school? I just graduated from college and stepped into work now aspiring to do MBA in one/two years? Should it be terribly high?
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V44
Send PM
srilekhya wrote:
Great going :) I've given my gmat on july 1st and scored 600. I'm planning to write again in a couple of months. What should be my score to get into a decent b school? I just graduated from college and stepped into work now aspiring to do MBA in one/two years? Should it be terribly high?

The score you "need" depends on a lot of variables from what I'm told.

First of all, it depends on what you mean by a decent b-school. I'd say to pick a few schools as possible targets and then do some research on them. You can usually find out the gmat range of their past accepted students.

Then, try to evaluate your work experience, leadership potential, essays, interview ability, etc. If you are strong in those areas you should be ok even if your gmat score is in the low end of the schools range. If you aren't so strong in those areas, you might want to try and be at the top of their range so that you can stand out.

My score was at the higher end of the gmat range for the schools I applied for. I think that helped me ease some of the schools concerns about my lack of experience at a large corporation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Consulting, General Management
Send PM
congrats!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator: