Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance
WE 1: Business Development
WE 2: Consulting
Send PM
Re: My D-day experience - 760 (Q50, V44) [#permalink]
[quote="pyarapopat"]
Quant – 50 (93%)
Verbal – 44 (97%)
Overall – 760 (99%)
[\quote]

Many congrats to you :)

Just out of curiousity, are you English native speaker?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Top5Gun wrote:

Nope ... am an Indian working in France ... so don't have too many opportunities to improve my English ... I think I achieved my max potential in the GMAT
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance
WE 1: Business Development
WE 2: Consulting
Send PM
pyarapopat wrote:
Top5Gun wrote:

Nope ... am an Indian working in France ... so don't have too many opportunities to improve my English ... I think I achieved my max potential in the GMAT

That is an incredible accomplishment! Good luck on your apps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Top5Gun wrote:

That is an incredible accomplishment! Good luck on your apps.

Thanks again :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Nice score...could you write about the preparation, if you don't mind?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
To begin with a disclaimer : This post is based on my own experience of preparing for the GMAT. I understand that not everyone thinks the same way. So for you the methods could be quite different, but I hope you find something of interest in this post :) .

The Beginning
I am the kind of person who does not work well without deadlines. After thinking about preparing for GMAT for a month and doing nothing about it, the first thing I did was to take an exam date.
How much time do you require to prepare for the exam will vary from person to person. In my opinion all the material takes about a month and half to go over and then it is just about practice, practice and practice !!! All in all a solid two months should suffice. (my take on the prep time)
I didn’t even have enough patience to do that. So I started giving practice tests after two weeks of preparation. So for all those of you who have the tendency to procrastinate things indefinitely … Take a GMAT date and then start preparing.

Preparation
The first thing that people do when they think of giving the GMAT is to start collecting study material. The course content for GMAT is very simple, it is the kind of questions that makes it a tough nut to crack. So more than the reference material, you need the practice material.
For me the Math Review section in the GMAT Prep Tests software was enough to review the basic concepts in maths and start cracking the questions. You can go through the Manhattan Math review books, if you really need help. Verbal is a different story altogether (especially for non-native speakers like me). You need to e aware of the rules to start attempting the SC problems, need to develop a GMAT way of thinking to crack CR problems, and will have to start reading to get through the RCs. I reckon the Manhattan Review SC book does come in real handy to learn the SC rules. The CR and RC can be improved by practice.
So my list of study material would include :
1. OG12 (or the latest version)
2. GMAT Prep software (the MATH review section)
3. Manhattan Review Sentence Correction
optional. OG 2 Verbal (for further practice in verbal)
optional. Manhattan Review guides for Maths

Study Plan
1. Start approximately 60 days in advance.
2. You can get access to a whole lot of Free Mock Tests on the web :
Kaplan GMAT Test
Knewton GMAT Test
Manhattan GMAT Test
Princeton Review GMAT Test
Veritas Prep GMAT Test
Plus you can get access to all 6 MGMAT tests if you buy the Manhattan SC book. Plan to give mock tests on all weekends leading up to the test.

3. Develop interest in the test – If you are good with verbal, start with verbal. If you are good in Maths start with Quant. But develop an interest in the test. If preparing for the GMAT becomes a grind from the first day. You are not going to last long :) .
4. Start reviewing sections (no particular order, go by your interests). Once you have reviewed a section, solve corresponding problems in OG.
5. Download an OG Error log (These ones here are nice). Solve OG problems daily and keep track of your errors. Once you have finished the OG, use the error log to work on your weaker sections.
6. Plan to finish reviewing all sections within a time-frame of six weeks. If you let it stretch, the preparation can go on for ever. Therefore, make goals and deadlines and stick to them.
7. Subscribe to GMAT Club question of the Day here. It is a fun way to be regular during your preparations. I used to solve the two problems that come daily via email just after lunch at my office.

Problem Solving
I had no real trouble in this section. So not many tips to share. Just remember that concepts behind the problems are very simple. These are not abstract equations you have to derive. The solutions are always simple.
Never make any question an ego-issue. If you haven’t been able to solve a question for 4 minutes, don’t just keep going hammer and tongs at it. Guess ! even if you get it wrong the next question will be simpler. If you waste your time you are risking getting a lot of questions wrong at the of the test.

Data Sufficiency
I tried to form an equation as I read the problem statement. This would give me an idea of how many variables are there, and what information I need to solve the question. Sometimes it worked, sometimes didn’t. Just another approach ;) .

Sentence Correction
Most difficult section to master for me. Read a lot and a lot and a lot. Basically, if you are lucky there will be more than one rules separating the correct answer from the wrong ones. Normally, one rule (the easier one) would get you down to two choices, and both would seem equally possible. There are rules to separate them of course, but if you don’t know them just hope that this is your lucky day :) .

Critical Reasoning
Practice, Practice, Practice !!! If you solve enough problems, you would start realizing the GMAT way of thinking and CR would become a piece of cake. There is no substitute for practice here. No matter how plausible your answer seems to you, if GMAT says it is wrong, it is wrong.

Reading Comprehension
I love reading, and this was perhaps the easiest section for me. You have to get used to reading, and the mock tests will help you a lot in this regard. The reading stamina slowly build up. So do not panic if you eyes become bleary and brain freezes on those long RCs. Steadily your mind will adjust, just keep at it.

Mock Test Phase
When you feel you have covered enough subjects to be confident in your ability to hold your own in the GMAT, give the GMAT Prep 1 test. Try and replicate exam conditions, and sitting for the exam for the full 75 minutes of both sections. Whatever your score is, don’t get disheartened. This test was just a reality check. We now know, the things you are good at and not so good at. Try to improve your score by practicing questions from your weakest sections.
The next time you give a Mock test, write the two Analysis essays as well. The actual GMAT is 4 hour and not 3 hour. The first hour you spend writing the essays will drain you. In the majority of the cases, when people feel that they were performing well in the mocks but couldn’t replicate the scores in GMAT, the problem is that their mind was only trained to be sharp for 3 hours straight. That is when you are at the start of your Verbal section in your actual GMAT. And then the score just tapers off. Make it a habit to write the Analysis essays in all the mocks.
Plan to give the GMAT Prep 2 a couple of days before the GMAT (or as close as you feel comfortable). This should be your indicator for the performance in actual GMAT. If the score is still bad, do not panic. Analyze your GMAT Prep 2 performance. Identify the questions you got wrong, identify the patterns. Did you get consecutive questions wrong at the end of section ? Then make sure your concentration is higher in the actual GMAT. Did you perform weakly in CR ? Spend extra time in GMAT on questions from this section. Make such strategies for the exam day for yourself.

D-Day
Just remember pace yourself in the GMAT. You would be charged up when you reach the exam center. Normally your brain would be in peak performance mode. Don’t waste this. Remember you have to write those two 30 minutes essays. Stay calm when you enter the center, and try to psyche yourself up for the test as you go along. You should hit the peak performance level at the start of Quant, not the essays.

Hope I am able to help at least a little. Happy GMATting :) .

Originally posted by pyarapopat on 09 Jun 2011, 15:44.
Last edited by pyarapopat on 10 Jun 2011, 05:24, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
wow well done. You scored in 99th percentile. A dream score for anyone!

you told practice is best strategy for CR, but apart from OG there is hardly any practice material available. Can you tell me from where can we practise cr questions ? Also are the rc passages on real gmat of comparable size to what we see in OG ?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Aj85 wrote:
wow well done. You scored in 99th percentile. A dream score for anyone!

you told practice is best strategy for CR, but apart from OG there is hardly any practice material available. Can you tell me from where can we practise cr questions ? Also are the rc passages on real gmat of comparable size to what we see in OG ?

Thanks ... there are already more than a 100 CR questions in OG ... if you still don't feel confident you can have another 100+ from the OG Verbal Review ... Plus then you will be doing (hopefully :)) a lot of practice tests ... assume 10 CR questions at least for 10 practice tests ... that is another 100 CR questions ... believe me that's a lot.

Keep in mind CR questions are not about finding the best solution ... just the best in the given options ... so with decent amount of practice you will perfect the method of elimination ... try using it from day 1, for problems whose answers are not apparent.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
awesome score Congratulations
Manager
Manager
Send PM
toughmat wrote:
awesome score Congratulations

Thanks toughmat
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1332 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
hmmm... thats a great score. congrats.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
garimavyas wrote:
hmmm... thats a great score. congrats.

Thanks Garima :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
received the official score card from GMAT today … happy to have scored a 6.0 in the AWA section :) ... I think this covers all bases on the GMAT side of things and I have above 90 percentile in Quant, Verbal and AWA ... Now on to school selection.
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
So how do you get a Q50 in Math? Are you one of those people who don't even need to study? :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Congratulations. And, gablaze, this person obviously prepared carefully and is a masterful test taker. One must infer that the score is a product of strong preparation, a very bright person and an ability to figure out how the test is written. I think this is some of the best advice I have seen to climb from low 700's to 760 or so. Clearly, the guesses were informed by test familiarity. Especially note the personal observation that "No matter how plausible your answer seems to you, if GMAT says it is wrong, it is wrong." Also, the observation that 760 may have been full potential is astute. There might be a few people who can nail a 760 with limited work... based on innate ability.... but unless you already know you are that person... this more strategic way of squeezing out 20-40 extra points looks very effective!

Congratulations on your strategy development. I think that bodes even better for your future than your score!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gablaze23 wrote:
So how do you get a Q50 in Math? Are you one of those people who don't even need to study? :)

Hi gablaze,

Quant infact has always been a weak spot for me ... I think I possess sound logic but I tend to make silly mistakes (not reading complete question, or inferring more than what is given in the problem) ... this made DS even more difficult for me ... to add to my grievances I am pretty slow at Maths problems.

I started out by reviewing each and every section on Quant in the GMAT Prep tests (there is a separate section for Quant review) ... once I was done with the concepts I decided I will not refer to any more books ... there is no end to the amount of theory you can read but at some point you have to draw a line ... so I decided that any new concept for me would come from incorrect questions ... next I proceeded to solve all questions in the OG12, making a note of all questions I got wrong and why ... as expected most were silly mistakes ... so I kept making notes of mistakes to avoid on the test day ... when I started with practice tests I realized I always was out of time in the Quant section ... and hence my advice "dont make any question an ego issue" ... I knew from the practice tests which were my strong and weak sections ... I decided I will not spend more than 4 minutes on the difficult problems and make it up for them in the easier problems ... plus I realized getting a question wrong was not a bad thing as finally the test would zero in on my ability ... armed with all this analysis I was pretty confident on the test day, which was reflected in my test score ... I would suggest to all those who are wary of the Quant section as I was that the only solution is Practice, Practice, Practice.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
OldMinolta wrote:
Congratulations. And, gablaze, this person obviously prepared carefully and is a masterful test taker. One must infer that the score is a product of strong preparation, a very bright person and an ability to figure out how the test is written. I think this is some of the best advice I have seen to climb from low 700's to 760 or so. Clearly, the guesses were informed by test familiarity. Especially note the personal observation that "No matter how plausible your answer seems to you, if GMAT says it is wrong, it is wrong." Also, the observation that 760 may have been full potential is astute. There might be a few people who can nail a 760 with limited work... based on innate ability.... but unless you already know you are that person... this more strategic way of squeezing out 20-40 extra points looks very effective!

Congratulations on your strategy development. I think that bodes even better for your future than your score!

Thanks oldminolta for your kind words. :-D
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts