Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: LEAD Program in Business, NSHMBA, NBMBAA
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [6]
Given Kudos: 77
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink]
mbalady wrote:
Wooop!! The time has come! Im in!
Ross, UNC, Darden & McCombs

congratulations..i didn't realize they already sent acceptances for next year...just kidding...because you wrote "i'm in"..nevermind..i know what you meant
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
lagomez, you were all over the Fall 2011 thread. Hopefully you can impart your wisdom and humor on this year's applicants.

I will be applying to Haas, Ross, Stern, and USC through the Consortium. I took the GMAT in May, but I'm considering a retake. While I mull that over I'm doing school research, career informational interviews, and blogging in the hopes of getting to my real honest place. All of this while maintaining a full time job, volunteering with BBBS, and fundraising for a local non-profit. I need a valium just thinking about all of it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE:Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Count me in for R2.
VP
VP
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
lagomez, you were all over the Fall 2011 thread. Hopefully you can impart your wisdom and humor on this year's applicants.

I will be applying to Haas, Ross, Stern, and USC through the Consortium. I took the GMAT in May, but I'm considering a retake. While I mull that over I'm doing school research, career informational interviews, and blogging in the hopes of getting to my real honest place. All of this while maintaining a full time job, volunteering with BBBS, and fundraising for a local non-profit. I need a valium just thinking about all of it.

i'll try and help..i'm going to a non-consort school in illinois so i'll do what i can if I remember
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
Send PM
lagomez wrote:
mbalady wrote:
Wooop!! The time has come! Im in!
Ross, UNC, Darden & McCombs

congratulations..i didn't realize they already sent acceptances for next year...just kidding...because you wrote "i'm in"..nevermind..i know what you meant

haha .. hopefully I can replicate this comment in 8-9 months.. (or whenever R1 decisions are released)
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Consortium
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Oooooooh Yaaaaaa! I can't wait until this thread starts building. I'll most certainly be applying to 5 or 6 schools for 2012 through The Consortium, but for now...my G-day is just 3 days, 14 hours, 23 minutes, and 13...12...11 seconds away. Ahhhhhh!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 570 Q41 V27
GPA: 2.62
WE:Operations (Transportation)
Send PM
Greetings!

I will possibly be applying via the consortium though I am only currently interested in UNC and Emory from the participating schools.

Do you think it's worth it to go through the consortium if only applying to 2 schools or should just apply individually?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Still a little confused about the consortium. I will definitely be applying but, do you have to apply to the consortium and be accepted in order for the applications to go through to all 3-6 schools? Or, is it that you can apply, not get the fellowship, but still have all of your desired schools receive your applications, and thus you receive no funding through the organization? Anyway, new on here and this is the year...I've been holding back applying the past few, but it's GO time!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
jp0812 wrote:
Greetings!

I will possibly be applying via the consortium though I am only currently interested in UNC and Emory from the participating schools.

Do you think it's worth it to go through the consortium if only applying to 2 schools or should just apply individually?

It's definitely worth it to apply through the Consortium. Here is why:
1) You will pay less in application fees.
2) You will write fewer essays
3) You give yourself a very good shot at a full-scholarship if you are accepted to the school
4) Being accepted to the Consortium can add another powerful group of people to your network.

Hope that's enough reason for you.
VP
VP
Send PM
Kudos
Nessy26X wrote:
Still a little confused about the consortium. I will definitely be applying but, do you have to apply to the consortium and be accepted in order for the applications to go through to all 3-6 schools? Or, is it that you can apply, not get the fellowship, but still have all of your desired schools receive your applications, and thus you receive no funding through the organization? Anyway, new on here and this is the year...I've been holding back applying the past few, but it's GO time!

You apply to the schools through the consortium. Once you apply and pay the application fee your apps will be sent to the schools you have selected. The schools then determine whether or not to accept you. Once you are accepted to the school THEN you are considered for acceptance into the Consortium and more importantly the Consortium Fellowship. Ultimately, you are applying to the schools first, the Consortium second (but it's all one application submitted at one time).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Nessy26X wrote:

You apply to the schools through the consortium. Once you apply and pay the application fee your apps will be sent to the schools you have selected. The schools then determine whether or not to accept you. Once you are accepted to the school THEN you are considered for acceptance into the Consortium and more importantly the Consortium Fellowship. Ultimately, you are applying to the schools first, the Consortium second (but it's all one application submitted at one time).

AHHH! Awesome! Thanks cheetarah! I seriously have been trying to answer this one on my own forever and no dice. Since the consortium apps aren't due until November is one at at disadvantage when R1 and early decision for Tuck are due over a month earlier? Darden and Tuck are my top two, my concern is that over a month later is a little too late considering these are my top choices.
VP
VP
Send PM
Nessy26X wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Nessy26X wrote:

AHHH! Awesome! Thanks cheetarah! I seriously have been trying to answer this one on my own forever and no dice. Since the consortium apps aren't due until November is one at at disadvantage when R1 and early decision for Tuck are due over a month earlier? Darden and Tuck are my top two, my concern is that over a month later is a little too late considering these are my top choices.

Early decision deadlines are separate from the Consortium deadlines. If you want to apply ED then you have to use the school's application and apply by that deadline. For most schools there is no particular advantage to applying R1 vs. R2. I have seen that since the Consortium application deadline is 1 month after most schools' R1 deadlines that Consortium applications are grouped into the overall R2 pool. However, this hasn't put people at a disadvantage as many people in this forum received admits to at least one of their schools. If you aren't admitted it more than likely has nothing to do with the timing of your application submission.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Cheetah,

Thank you for that information though I still have more questions.

Is there any admissions advantage of applying through the consortium? I guess my questions is whether someone applying through the consortium with the absolute same credentials as someone applying without it will have a greater or lesser chance of admittance? Or is it basically the same? Do schools have a max limit of how many students they admit via the consortium?

If the admissions chance is greater, what keeps everyone else from applying via the consortium, even if they don't have the proper credentials of being admitted to the consortium after being admitted to their school of choice?

I apologize for all of these questions but I don't quite understand the whole consortium process yet.

thank you,
jp
VP
VP
Send PM
Kudos
jp0812 wrote:
Cheetah,

Is there any admissions advantage of applying through the consortium? I guess my questions is whether someone applying through the consortium with the absolute same credentials as someone applying without it will have a greater or lesser chance of admittance? Or is it basically the same? Do schools have a max limit of how many students they admit via the consortium?

If the admissions chance is greater, what keeps everyone else from applying via the consortium, even if they don't have the proper credentials of being admitted to the consortium after being admitted to their school of choice?

I apologize for all of these questions but I don't quite understand the whole consortium process yet.

thank you,
jp

I don't think the point of the Consortium is to give students an admissions advantage. What it does is increase access to the top business schools by lowering barriers such as application and tuition costs. Plus it gives UR minority students more resources to succeed not only in school but also in the job market.
Consortium applicants aren't separate from non Consortium applicants in terms of admissions decisions. Once you apply through the consortium you are judged against all other applicants with a similar profile, not just Consortium applicants.
A lot of people don't apply through the Consortium because they don't know about it. However, once people are made aware that the Consortium exists most opt to apply to a few schools because of the financial benefits (lower app fees and the chance at a full tuition fellowship). Schools do have a limited number of fellowships that they can offer. However, admission isn't dependent upon the award. Most admitted candidates are also accepted into the Consortium with a smaller percentage actually awarded the fellowship. I hope that helps demystify things a bit.
VP
VP
Send PM
jp0812 wrote:
Cheetah,

thank you,
jp

In regard to the bolded section, I don't think two people could ever have the exact same credentials. Sure, you can have the same GPA, GMAT score, and years of work experience as someone else. However, that doesn't mean the credentials are the same. As I lay the groundwork for my applications I'm realizing that no one can submit the application package that I will. If you do this process correctly no one else can or should mirror what you bring to the table. I am sure that there other 30 year old, Black female applicants. Some have higher GMAT scores, some have lower GMAT scores. Some will have higher GPAs, some won't. But beyond the numbers I've had my own unique career experience with accomplishments and setbacks that are mine alone. While others may have similar interests they have not come about developing those interests in the same way. And their reactions to their personal circumstances are going to be different than my reactions to similar happenings. The whole point of MBA applications is to show the adcoms who YOU are and what YOU offer. If you do that effectively then it's really about whether or not they want to use what YOU offer as a building block for the entire class.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Cornell, Haas, USC, Tepper
Send PM
I am in for R2.
Right now, I am aiming for Cornell, Haas, USC, CMellon.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Cheetah,

I understand.

I was just wondering what would keep someone from applying via consortium given the lower fees and amount of essays.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  118   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts