Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:Stern, Wharton, CBS
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink]
solaris1 wrote:
Ask your question here, please. I will try my best to respond.

xiao85yu wrote:
Solaris1, I'm going to be entering Stern in the fall and wanted to see if I can ask you more about the recruitment there. I couldn't find a way to pm you, but let me know if you have some time to talk about it offline.

No problem, I was just wondering if Stern released the numbers for the placement? does it go from 40 recruits from #1 to 4 at #10?

As far as BB recruiting goes, I'm a bit surprised that Goldman and UBS are so low on the list - I didn't expect Deloitte or Amex to be so high. do most people get their interviews through interviews scheduled through the career office or is it really up to the candidate to get proactive?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
cgeorge4415 wrote:
Joining the class of 2013, here's my story

waitlist - march 22
invite to interview - April 29
interview - May 12
admitted - May 16

Didn't send in any extra info after being waitlisted!

Can't wait to start meeting everyone!

Congratulations! Hopefully some of the other WL's get good news soon.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [3]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Kudos
It does, but those placement numbers are for internal consumption only, I'm afraid.

Based on the data I provided earlier, which once again is about a month old and reflects the # of acceptances only (and not # of offers) I can however tell you that the #1 company hired 11 more MBAs than the #20 company. So the range in the number of MBAs hired by the top #1 company and the #20 company is not as drastic as what you guessed.

Keep in mind that the top 20 hired only about 35% of the entire class. This should tell you that there are a lot more companies hiring just one or two Stern MBAs.

With regards to GS and UBS particularly, not sure why GS comes as a surprise. I'm told its recruiting process is probably the most involved and intense as far as jobs at investment banks go, and thus I figure only a handful of people go through. UBS, I can give a more informed answer. Unless I am mistaken, UBS shows up relatively lower on that list because the U.S. offers it made were overwhelmingly for their Research and Trading divisions, both of which hire significantly fewer people than say IBD.

Of course, it's also possible that a bunch of people simply turned down their GS/UBS offers and decided to go elsewhere. And yes, people do turn down offers from GS as well, although I reliably only know of one who did so (good friend of mine - international). I do know another girl who summered at GS but isn't going back, but I'm not that friendly with her to know precisely whether it's because she turned them down, or she got no-offered at the end of the summer.

AmEx and Deloitte have in recent years always been among the top recruiters at Stern. Very strong NYU Stern alumni networks there and they really go all out during on-campus recruiting.

Slightly more than half of all students get offers through formal on-campus recruiting, another fifth to a quarter I would guess through other school-initiated programs like job fairs, alumni cocktails, or club networking nights, a tenth probably either go back to their old employers or start their own ventures, and I guess the remainder really just swing it through their own individual networking efforts. There we go - hopefully I got everything, xiao85yu!

Now that all my grades are in, I can officially claim to be an MBA! I will indeed, as 3underscore pointed out, be leaving to travel around the world for the next couple of months, so my participation in this thread is probably coming to an end. Nonetheless, you should all feel free to reach out to the Graduation Ambassadors at Stern Admissions directly if you have questions - there's usually a couple of cool new graduates working over the summer there.

Good luck to those waiting, and congratulations to the Class of 2013! Hopefully your experience at Stern will be as memorable as mine.

xiao85yu wrote:
No problem, I was just wondering if Stern released the numbers for the placement? does it go from 40 recruits from #1 to 4 at #10?

As far as BB recruiting goes, I'm a bit surprised that Goldman and UBS are so low on the list - I didn't expect Deloitte or Amex to be so high. do most people get their interviews through interviews scheduled through the career office or is it really up to the candidate to get proactive?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Kudos
Amex is a huge Marketing relationship with Stern. It has some general finance too.

UBS doesn't employ many people because, if you hadn't looked recently, it is having somewhat of a stressful time in the US. I so want to say something less politically correct, but...

GS doesn't recruit many people. Look at the size of the firm, and be aware they recruit more heavily at analyst level. All their earnings are trading - the IB part (a natural MBA home) is relatively small. Wealth management is pretty big there for MBAs.

I know a lot of MBAs want to work at GS, but they could do well to know what the firm actually looks for beforehand. Their MBA intake has never been huge.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Schools:NYU
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
Amex is a huge Marketing relationship with Stern. It has some general finance too.

UBS doesn't employ many people because, if you hadn't looked recently, it is having somewhat of a stressful time in the US. I so want to say something less politically correct, but...

GS doesn't recruit many people. Look at the size of the firm, and be aware they recruit more heavily at analyst level. All their earnings are trading - the IB part (a natural MBA home) is relatively small. Wealth management is pretty big there for MBAs.

I know a lot of MBAs want to work at GS, but they could do well to know what the firm actually looks for beforehand. Their MBA intake has never been huge.

Really interesting stuff, 3underscore and solaris1. Out of curiosity - as I'm sure I'll learn much more in the coming months anyway - which banks would you say recruit heavily for equity research at Stern? Any independent shops on campus? Thanks in advance.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Send PM
Ok - most places. DB and BAC take a good number, as do BARC. JPM is maybe about too. C has focused on Undergrad for research, JPM might have gone that way too. Not sure on MS or GS do direct MBA recruiting. Nomura have a presence now in research now, as do a number of smaller places that you might need to approach. RBC take folk.

Buyside is way harder and you need to really work. Neuberger and Fidelity definitely show up.

Forgot About the Swiss. They both do, though no one I know seemed to stay at UBS for long...

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
Ok - most places. DB and BAC take a good number, as do BARC. JPM is maybe about too. C has focused on Undergrad for research, JPM might have gone that way too. Not sure on MS or GS do direct MBA recruiting. Nomura have a presence now in research now, as do a number of smaller places that you might need to approach. RBC take folk.

Buyside is way harder and you need to really work. Neuberger and Fidelity definitely show up.

Forgot About the Swiss. They both do, though no one I know seemed to stay at UBS for long...

Posted from my mobile device

Thanks for your continued fielding of our questions 3underscore. Along the same lines, which banks are most Stern-friendly in terms of the pure old-fashioned IBD (i.e. not trading, research, etc.)?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
IBD - all of them. Way more of a lambs to the slaughter business. Stern is respected and recruits through the Bulge Bracket down to the other tiers and boutiques. I my opinion it takes some skill in being a dick not to get an IB internship at Stern if that is *really* what you want to do and are interested in.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
There we go - hopefully I got everything, xiao85yu!

Thank you solaris1 and 3underscore! Congratulations and wish you the best, solaris1.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:Stern, Wharton, CBS
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Tomorrow marks 3 weeks since my interview. If I don't hear should I call? They said a decision would be made in 2-3 weeks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Dinged.

R1 applicant.
W/l w/o interview since 1/11
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:NYU Stern - Class of 2013
 Q48  V44
WE 1: Nonprofit / international development (4 years)
WE 2: Consulting internship - MBB
Send PM
So I guess all the admits chat has migrated to the FB group... but I thought I'd post for the record that I've decided to accept my offer from Stern and - all being well with immigration - will be starting at Stern in August.

I look forward to meeting you all!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72874 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
This thread is for the NY Stern 2011 Application Year, meaning applicants that are starting School in the Fall of 2011.

Please direct all of your questions for this year into the 2012 thread

calling-all-nyu-stern-fall-2012-applicants-116635.html
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72874 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived 'Calling All NYU Stern Applicants' Topic
Hi there,
You've reached an old 'Calling All NYU Stern Applicants' discussion which is now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for the latest discussion? Check out this up-to-date Calling All NYU Stern Applicants Discussion for the most recent conversations on this topic.
Interested in more from this school? Visit our dedicated NYU Stern Forum to dive into all things related to NYU Stern's MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  104   105   106   107   108   109   110 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts