Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: GMAT Club's Health & Fitness Thread [#permalink]
Now that I'm done with the GMAT I've been able to get fitness back into my schedule.

Went climbing outside yesterday, led a 5.8, nothing crazy but good to be on the sharp end of the rope again.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Send PM
jko wrote:
Now that I'm done with the GMAT I've been able to get fitness back into my schedule.

Went climbing outside yesterday, led a 5.8, nothing crazy but good to be on the sharp end of the rope again.

Welcome back!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
I usually just go out and play ball for a few hours and then lift for 30 min and call it a day :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Send PM
I went for a long walk today and I feel so much better. I really think its important when dealing with GMAT stress to indeed work out! Good tips guys!
Director
Director
Send PM
I had my first fasted weight training session today at 6AM. My energy levels throughout the workout were the same as usual, but I felt much more energetic on the drive to work (probably from jack3d pre-workout). I'm still feeling hungry in the mornings, but I love being able to feast between 11am - 7pm.

I'm using Scitvation Xtend (BCAA's) post-workout to prevent muscle breakdown while I'm waiting for lunch.
Director
Director
Send PM
The Leangains Intermittent Fasting protocol is delivering great results so far. I'm cheating a little bit by supplementing with VPX Meltdown (fat burner), but I've lost about 5 lbs. so far with a visible reduction in bodyfat. It's depressing to see my overall size shrink as I burn off the fat that pads my muscle, but definition is improving nicely. If this protocol works as planned, I'll cycle between 10-15% bodyfat throughout the year with an 8 week bulk/4 week cut and a net of .5 lb. new muscle mass per week.

If anyone's interested, Lyle McDonald is another great resource for exercise science and optimal nutrition: https://www.bodyrecomposition.com.

In other exciting news, my bodybugg arrived in the mail yesterday. It tracks my calorie expenditure through the day, so I can dial in my food intake more perfectly to match my goals (-500 cals for cut, +500 cals for bulk). I was able to get a great deal on this new toy, and I'm a sucker for cool gadgets (tried a Zeo to track my sleep last year).

Today is my first full day wearing the bodybugg, so I'll post the results tomorrow.

How's everyone else doing?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Just found this thread... Sorry to mix business with pleasure, but do any current MBA students know about good schools for health and fitness management as a career? I have some ideas but would really like to hear others.

Av, I'm interested to hear what you think of IF. I've been carb cycling for a while but I'm thinking of trying something new.

Strongman contest tomorrow, wish me luck! :)
Director
Director
Send PM
brp4h wrote:
Just found this thread... Sorry to mix business with pleasure, but do any current MBA students know about good schools for health and fitness management as a career? I have some ideas but would really like to hear others.

Av, I'm interested to hear what you think of IF. I've been carb cycling for a while but I'm thinking of trying something new.

Strongman contest tomorrow, wish me luck! :)

Welcome to the GC Health & Fitness Group! How did the Strongman contest go?

If you're looking to pair your MBA experience with a career in health and fitness, I'd imagine that you'll find the most opportunities at schools with big sports programs (Michigan, Duke, etc.). I don't know of any MBA's in the supplement industry, but Derek Charlebois, R&D at Scivation, studied Exercise Science at Michigan.

My workout partner and I have been using the Leangains IF protocol with VPX Meltdown and fasted training for a little over one week. So far, we've both lost about 4-5 lbs of total bodyweight with no loss in strength (I suspect VPX Meltdown is shedding some water weight). I usually fast between 14 and 18 hours, depending on my hunger each day. IF definitely takes some getting used to, but it gets a lot easier once your recalibrate your brain to adjust to smaller feeding windows. I know of guys that bulk on IF, but it's definitely a challenge to fit a caloric surplus into such a small feeding window.
Director
Director
Send PM
I've collected two full days of bodybugg data, so here at the results!

Friday - Additional Details
  • Fasted weight training from 5:40am to 6:40am - as you can see, there is very little post-exercise calorie burn.
  • Ate lunch around 11am - slight uptick in calorie expenditure visible.
  • Played 18 holes of golf (with a golf cart) from 2:40pm to 7:30pm - even riding in a golf cart, golfing in 90+ degree heat burns a lot of calories.
  • Ate dinner around 9pm - slight uptick in calorie expenditure visible.

Saturday- Additional Details
  • No weight training today.
  • Slept late to recover from a long week and woke up at 10am - calorie expenditure of 3-4 cals/min probably due to thermogenic effect of VPX Meltdown.
  • Ate breakfast around 11:30am - slight uptick in calorie expenditure visible.
  • Stained wooden boards from 12PM to 6PM - surprisingly high calorie expenditure for standing and painting for 6 hours.
  • Ate dinner around 7PM - slight uptick in calorie expenditure visible.

I'm very happy with the results so far. As I suspected, I've been undereating for the past couple weeks (around 2000 calories/day). I haven't recorded a lazy day yet, but I suspect it's around 2500-2800 calories. As I monitor my results, I'll continue to plan my meals for a 500 calorie deficit each day.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International Business or General
Send PM
I hope my 2nd post isn't too early to start posting in this thread. But anyways me and my wife are training for half ironmans triathlons (each of us is doing a separate race) but then we are both going to do the same full ironman race the same year. We will be racing Ironman Florida 2012 (1st weekend of November historically. I'm doing online coaching since I will deployed for probably 2/3rds of my training. I start in 2 weeks and can't wait! Triathlons are how we met and we are both trying to get back into them post undergrad life.
Director
Director
Send PM
azstinger11 wrote:
I hope my 2nd post isn't too early to start posting in this thread. But anyways me and my wife are training for half ironmans triathlons (each of us is doing a separate race) but then we are both going to do the same full ironman race the same year. We will be racing Ironman Florida 2012 (1st weekend of November historically. I'm doing online coaching since I will deployed for probably 2/3rds of my training. I start in 2 weeks and can't wait! Triathlons are how we met and we are both trying to get back into them post undergrad life.

Welcome to the group! Keep us updated on your training regimen.

I'll be starting Hypertrophy-specific training (HST) at the end of August. I can't wait to start bulking again!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I am a night person. It kills me to get up early. I try to make my workout routine simple and easy to stick to. I want to get back to size 0 before my first interview. Here's my weekly fitness schedule:
swimming 1 hr * 3
Kickboxing + Dancing 1.5hrs * 2
Walking 1 hr * 2
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72879 [0]
Given Kudos: 18866
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Found this in Today's WSJ - interesting idea.
I may finally break down and start working out (i really need to)
https://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 93492.html
Director
Director
Send PM
bb wrote:
Found this in Today's WSJ - interesting idea.
I may finally break down and start working out (i really need to)
https://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 93492.html

I'd have to agree with Mr. Morris about #16. 30 minutes of burpees would be miserable.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Rotman '15 Ivey
GMAT Date: 03-28-2012
GPA: 2.8
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
fit body = fit mind
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
For those of you who are already a year into your MBA (or have graduated already), how much time is reasonably available to work out during the school year? Or, like almost everything else, is the answer "it depends"?

As for myself, I started doing CF back in 2007 and have been a part-time coach at an affiliate for the last 2 years. Over the last 4 years I've kicked around several different programs (powerlifting-specific stuff, an Oly lifting kick, prep programs for the CF Games qualifiers, etc.) and have since shifted over to a basic strength program with a few CF-style conditioning workouts per week in an effort to get bigger and stronger and minimize my chances of developing overuse injuries from some of the things CF recommends.

I'm hoping to at least be able to find 90-120 minutes two or three days a week this fall, but I also recognize that coming from the Marine Corps I'm going to have to work harder than most people to get up to speed in a lot of the basic business-type classes.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Finance,Entreprenuership,Strategy
Schools:INSEAD, Booth, LBS
WE 1: Operations,
WE 2: IT Consulting, Hi Tech Project Management
WE 3: Baby Sitter
Send PM
This is my first post in GMAT Club...Strangely its in the Fun stuff section...I guess i am going to have lods of fun on this forum...

I have been working out in the gym since last couple of months...I am doing total body weight training and cardio exercises 6 days a week and on Sundays I go for swimming...Reason I am working out so hard is that I am quite over-weight and targeting to loose good 22 pounds before by next birth day which is on 29th november...

One thing I learn is that Proper diet is extremely important if u want to attain you goal of loosing weight or building a "300" kind a body...

I will post my detailed work out plan shortly...

Till then Happy Working Out..

-Asif
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8