Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:05 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Concentration: Operations & supply chain management; alternative energy
Schools:Ross (admit after WL), Foster (admit), Wharton (ding), Thunderbird (admit)
 Q44  V44 GMAT 2: 740  Q47  V44
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: US Army logistics
WE 2: Client management & business development (Russian Auditing & accounting firm)
WE 3: Sales for renewable energy firm
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation: Entrepreneur and aspiring MBA [#permalink]
invictus11 wrote:
Here's my profile and I was hoping I could get some feedback from gmatclubbers who've been on the MBA journey before.

28 / M / GMAT - 650 Q46/V35 (taken twice, scored 570 the first time) / GRE - Q800/V750/ Undergrad GPA - 2.89 at Pac 5 school in Computer Engineering (hated it!)

Grad education - 3.9 Certificate in Business from UC-Berkeley
Other programs - Company paid 1-year executive/weekend program at Duke's Fuqua School in General Management
Work experience - Sales at IBM (4.5 years, 2 promotions), Started my own technology consulting business in 2009 (burned through most of my savings/assets)
Volunteer work / Extracurriculars - Strong ECs in college, several awards and recognition from the university, also started a very successful organization that provides pro-bono consulting to small businesses and new entrepreneurs.
Goals - Management consulting after MBA, eventually start my own business

Here are some of my questions. Look forward to reading your feedback and being an active contributor to the community in 2010 :-D

1- Should I retake the GMAT? I know I can do better, I didn't have much time to study for them while working. Would taking it 3 times be an issue? Will applying with the GRE be a good idea? I know a lot of schools accept the test now, but I'm iffy if they take it seriously.

2- Cant do much about my GPA now, but will taking over 15 courses with As at UC-Berkeley mitigate my low undergrad GPA? I got too involved in leadership activities and wasn't serious about my education. How would I address this in my application?

3- I'm also worried about my age. I might be out of the running at many schools, but I've looked up stats and I'm looking to apply to the following schools. Do you have any pointers on the schools I've selected.

Early Decision- Columbia/Duke/Tuck
R1- Wharton/Kellogg/UCLA/Booth
R2- Ross/Haas/Stern/USC/LBS

I don't see why you're worried about age. 27-29 is the average age for most of the top schools, as far as I can tell. You being 28 y/o is neither a hindrance nor an advantage.

As for your GPA, you would address it on your optional essays just as you did here (of course, you'd omit the lack of attention to education part). Be honest but make it sound good.

Regarding a retake, if you think you can do better, then by all means do it. I don't think 3 GMATs will be looked upon negatively, especially if you show improvement each time. It just shows progress and self-adherence to a high standard.
VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
invictus11 wrote:
Here's my profile and I was hoping I could get some feedback from gmatclubbers who've been on the MBA journey before.

28 / M / GMAT - 650 Q46/V35 (taken twice, scored 570 the first time) / GRE - Q800/V750/ Undergrad GPA - 2.89 at Pac 5 school in Computer Engineering (hated it!)

Grad education - 3.9 Certificate in Business from UC-Berkeley
Other programs - Company paid 1-year executive/weekend program at Duke's Fuqua School in General Management
Work experience - Sales at IBM (4.5 years, 2 promotions), Started my own technology consulting business in 2009 (burned through most of my savings/assets)
Volunteer work / Extracurriculars - Strong ECs in college, several awards and recognition from the university, also started a very successful organization that provides pro-bono consulting to small businesses and new entrepreneurs.
Goals - Management consulting after MBA, eventually start my own business

Here are some of my questions. Look forward to reading your feedback and being an active contributor to the community in 2010 :-D

1- Should I retake the GMAT? I know I can do better, I didn't have much time to study for them while working. Would taking it 3 times be an issue? Will applying with the GRE be a good idea? I know a lot of schools accept the test now, but I'm iffy if they take it seriously.

2- Cant do much about my GPA now, but will taking over 15 courses with As at UC-Berkeley mitigate my low undergrad GPA? I got too involved in leadership activities and wasn't serious about my education. How would I address this in my application?

3- I'm also worried about my age. I might be out of the running at many schools, but I've looked up stats and I'm looking to apply to the following schools. Do you have any pointers on the schools I've selected.

Early Decision- Columbia/Duke/Tuck
R1- Wharton/Kellogg/UCLA/Booth
R2- Ross/Haas/Stern/USC/LBS

Hi,

Please find below my replies to your questions -

1. Unless you are able to improve your score significantly, giving GMAT another shot would not count for much. Also, some schools will want you to submit all your scores while others will want the highest or average scores, so think through all those parameters. Applying with a GRE score should be fine if the schools accept the score.

2. Taking the 15 courses should help mitigate the low GPA, particularly if you can focus on quant/analytical classes. Also, please remember that every application has strengths and weaknesses, focus more on showcasing your strengths (solid work-ex, extra-currics, etc.) rather than worry too much about the GPA.

3. I wouldn't worry too much about the age, your past experiences will definitely keep adcoms at schools mentioned below interested in your profile.

Good Luck!!

Regards,
Neha Singh
https://www.general-ed.com
GMAT Club Bot