Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:52 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
MBA Prep School CEO & Co-Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Red Cross, YFS
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: General Management, IT, Strategy
Schools:Harvard, MIT Sloan, Fisher, Irvine
 Q51  V38
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: 4
Send PM
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Re: Ask MBA Prep School [#permalink]
Hi

Thanks a lot for all the work you are doing here.

It would be great if you can evaluate my profile:

Indian, Male Age-27

GMAT
710 (49 QA, 35 VA) AWA 5.0

Academics
B. Tech, Indian Institute of Information Technology, Allahabad (6.93/10) – 2003 -2007
CFA Level 3 Candidate
Technical certifications from IBM & Sun Microsystems

Professional Experience
Full Time from July, 2007. Will be around 5 years in August 2012.
December 2008 – Present – Business Analyst
December 2008 – July 2007 Software Engineer

Business Analyst at Royal Bank of Scotland (December 2008 – Present)
Functional Areas – Corporate Markets

Highlights
• Managed business software requirements for 3 projects, totaling to £ 25 million.
• One of the youngest B.A at RBS. Skip level promotion from Software Associate to BA.
• Assessed & Reformed organizational processes through a Work-Out initiative, leading to savings of £ 200,000.
• Estimated & formulated business cases for various corporate transformation programmes. These transformation programmes were introduced as an aftermath of global financial crisis in 2008.
• Led a team of software developers to deliver a critical solution for automation of account opening process targeted at Business & Commercial customers.
• Established and fostered relationships with various business and technology stakeholders. First to be selected out of my team in India to work on-site with business stakeholders in London & Wimbledon.
• Imparted domain based trainings to software developers and project managers.

Software developer at Sapient Corporation (July 2007 – December 2008)
Functional Areas – Retail Banking & Telecom Billing

Highlights
• Led a work stream during the training project.
• Designed and developed software components for an online broadband provisioning system for a large telecom client.
• Raised Rs. 200,000 for young students as part of charity drive at Sapient Corp.

Personal Life
Born and brought up in a small town, not a lot was expected of me. I come from a traditional family with business background where the usual expectation is to enter the family business. By breaking the mould, I have set an example for children of my family to follow their instincts and interests.

Short-term & Long-term Goals

Short-term
Want to move to the front office (customer facing) job in portfolio management. Having done my share of software coding and business requirement analysis, I feel a front office or customer facing job will provide me the needed knowledge required to produce new software for the portfolio management domain.

Long-term
I want to set-up my own company which will focus on development of new and innovative software’s for portfolio management. I want to start with products targeted at corporate customers and then extend these to retail customers. I wish to provide low-cost portfolio management services to mass consumers for e.g. the growing middle-class in India.

Target Schools
R1 - Booth , Columbia , Duke, Darden & Kenan Flager
R2 - Wharton , Kellogg ,Ross , NYU Stern & McCombs
R3 - None

I havent decided on the non-US schools but I am primarily considering ISB , NUS and INSEAD.

Will be very beneficial if you can respond to my following queries:

1. How do you evaluate my profile? ( My goal is to get in any of the top 15 colleges. Primary focus is on school which is good in finance)

2. My GPA is pretty low ( 6.93/10). How is this compared to applicants from a similar background. Is my GPA insufficient or a negative point?

3. Is my GMAT score weak? How much is the benefit of retaking the GMAT given that I may increase my score from 20-30 points only.

4. Is my selection of schools too ambitious? Which schools would you suggest as the top priority?

5. What areas should I concentrate in my profile to make it strong? What are the corresponding weaknesses that you see in my profile?

Thanks a lot for your time and help.

Regards
Sameer
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello Sameer,

I would be happy to evaluate your profile. I hope you'll also sign-up for a free trial of MBA Prep School because the first free video in our trial program will help you to further evaluate the strengths and weaknesses in your candidacy and we prescribe steps you can take to increase your chances of being admitted to a top-tier school.

The standard risk factors for your applicant profile are in effect -- you are in an over-represented pool as an Indian IT graduate. That said, you went to IIT, a highly respected university, and your progress from software engineer to business analyst is a signal to the admissions committee that you have the interest and aptitude for general management. Along the same lines, your CFA candidacy and employment by an international bank are both positives of your profile that I think the admissions committees will view favorably.

Your GMAT score is at the median for many of the top 20 programs, slightly below the median for some of the most selective schools. Your low GPA relative to your competition makes the top 10 programs a reach for you. They expect to see exceptional academic performance and your grades are not at that level. Another 30 points on the GMAT would counterbalance this soft-spot in your profile somewhat.

Wharton/Kellogg are ambitious targets for you. Booth is also a reach but with its large class size they might have room for you given your CFA credentials and if you execute perfectly in your written application and interview. Duke/Darden/McCombs/INSEAD are in range but will still require excellent execution to counterbalance your academic performance and the fact that you are in a very competitive pool. ISB and NUS are in reach too but not assured without equally compelling execution.

I could write/talk for hours on what I mean by exceptional execution. In fact, I have :) and it's all been captured in a video series on our website. On the https://mbaprepschool.com website we have 35 on-demand videos, case studies, essay samples, and "power tools" for building a winning MBA application. I encourage you to give us a test drive by signing up for a free trial. Sign-up is quick and easy. Just go to https://mbaprepschool.com/free-trial. See you there!

Best of luck!
Tyler
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Send PM
Hello Tyler,

I am planning to apply for the Fall-2012 admissions and kindly request you to evaluate my profile mentioned below:

Indian, Male, 27Y

Academics

B.Tech, Electrical Engineering, IIT Kanpur, 2007
GPA- 6.5/10

GMAT- 760 (V41, Q51) AWA-5.5

Professional Experience
Jul 2007-Nov 2008, Software Consultant for a MNC, quit since wanted to pursue career in Data Analytics
Mar 2009- Oct 2010, Joined a startup in Analytics Consulting and Training, Bangalore
Oct 2010- till date- Business Analyst at Microsoft India

Highlights

-Setup entire analytics consulting and training practice for the startup, in New Delhi
-Led entire delivery unit (10 people) for the startup. Responsible for business development, client management, resource hiring/allocation
-Trained individuals and big MNCs on my topics of expertise
-Currently into execution of entire data mining conducted at Microsoft India

I want to join a school in which focus is on Entrepreneurship as I see significant gaps w.r.t usage of data and data management in the Indian Market which I would like to fill.

I am still working on choosing the schools that fit my profile and yet to shortlist though I am keen on applying to Haas and Anderson. Kindly help me answer the below questions:

1) How much does my low GPA affect my candidature?
2) Any particular school you would like to suggest that should be on my list
3) Overall evaluation of my profile

I really appreciate the great work you are doing. Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,
SG
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi monts2784,

Thanks for writing to us. Here are my answers to your questions:

1. A low GPA is an issue for a top 10 school. Lower grades will hurt you because you are in a very competitive pool and the top 10% of grads are your competition for a top-ranked US school. Your low GPA is mitigated somewhat by the 760 GMAT score; so all is not lost.
2. Top performance and excellent recommendations from Microsoft just might push you into the top 15 school range. I presume that earning the job at Microsoft was extremely competitive; furthermore, it appears you are being granted a high-degree of responsibility. Anderson seems like an okay fit with your profile but might not fit with your career goals. Check out University of Michigan (Ross) for a top-ranked school that might give you some serious consideration. USC Marshall has been in and out of the Top 20 ranking but well-known for a strong entrepreneurial program and could be worth a look. University of Texas (McCombs) has the advantage of being in the technology hub that exists in Austin, Texas. Haas certainly aligns with your career goals but the 7% acceptance rates may put that school out of reach.
3. Your university grades will be the biggest stumbling block. Second, you don't mention leadership outside of work which is another selection factor for a top US b-school. Third, as others may have advised you, international work experience is fairly critical for Indian IT grads/professionals. If you wait to apply then steering your Microsoft career to a location abroad (in the US) would be a huge plus to your candidacy. I'd be concerned about 3 job changes in 3 years, but I assume you can explain that to the ad comm. Safer (not safety) schools for you are in the 15-20 range in the rankings. Reach schools in 10 -15 and big reach for the top 10s given the factors I mention.

Best of luck!
Tyler
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
MBA Prep School is committed to making MBA admission consulting expertise available to more applicants. Using the latest online learning technologies, we emulate the experience of working with a private admissions consultant for a fraction of the price. Subscribers have access to on-demand admissions consulting videos covering every aspect of creating an outstanding application and web-based tools and templates for building a winning application step-by-step.

As part of our mission to level the playing field for MBA applicants worldwide, we will award 10 MBA Prep School scholarships for the 2011/12 application season worth a total of $3,000. The scholarships provide free access to our complete suite of power tools for building a winning MBA application.

Five scholarships will be awarded on August 8th and five more on August 15th.

Applying for the scholarships is easy:

1. Go to https://mbaprepschool.com/free-trial and sign-up for a free 7 day trial of MBA Prep School
2. Once you've registered and selected a user name and password go to https://mbaprepschool.wufoo.com/forms/mba-prep-school-scholarship-program/ to apply for one of our scholarships.

Best of luck to all our scholarship applicants!

Prepare to be accepted!

Tyler Cormney and Christopher Aitken
MBA Prep School Co-Founders
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hello Tyler,

Please evaluate my profile and provide me guidance on which B-schools should I select.

My MBA interest: FT, General Management or finance
GMAT (on July 30, 2011) - 770 (Q50, V44, AWA 6.0)

Was selected for the first batch of Indian School of Business(ISB) Young Leaders Programme, class of 2015.

Total Work Exp: FT 0 PT 2.5 years

I worked part-time alongside college for 2.5 years in a software company. I started as an intern and then eventually moved on to taking commercial projects for the company on contract basis. I helped them start the mobile software department, hiring and training people. I also was the team leader for the department and was heavily involved in dealing with the clients.

I currently hold a job offer from Citrix Systems.

Sex – Male
Age – 23 yrs
Nationality - Indian

Education:
B. E. (IT) from Jadavpur Univ, passing out in 2012.
GPA 8.52 out of 10
XII – 78.8%, CBSE board
X – 83.6%, Maharashtra board

ECs:
1. Nominated for the National Youth Award, 2012 for social service by the Government of India for my work for an NGO working for rural healthcare
2. Selected by the Government of India as a delegate to China for the India China Youth Exchange Program, 2011
3. Came 3rd in interschool debate in 10th standard in Mumbai in a city level debate competition
4. Came 2nd in under-15 throwball competition in Mumbai District
5. Best all-rounder in school in 10th standard
6. Held the post of monitor all through school life. Was prefect and assistant prefect of my house as well.

Aim: I want to join a venture capital working in the area of technology. After working there for 5-6 years I want to start up my own technology firm.

I would like to know:

1. How my profile looks for an MBA from the top 10-20 B-schools?
2. What, in your opinion, is my strengths and weakness reflected in my profile?
3. Please mention what should I do to make my case stronger for final call.
4. I am applying to HBS 2+2 and Stanford round 2. What do you think my chances are?

Thanks!
Rishabh Jain
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello rish2jain,

I think you have a good chance for HBS 2+2, but it's unlikely (thought not impossible) for your to receive an acceptance letter to Stanford because you lack full-time work experience. It is curious to me that you are 23 and still finishing your undergraduate work.

GMAT: Excellent
Academics: Excellent - though academic background is over-represented in applicant pools and the reputation of your school will matter
Career: Promising -- Difficult to assess w/o FT work, though the part-time work experience/achievements while in school appear solid
Honors/Award: Very Good -- The ISB Young Leaders award is notable as is the Youth Exchange Program
Student Leadership: I like the asst prefect/prefect aspect of your background
Community Service: Excellent (based on NGO awards though your role and achievements would matter)
Career Goals: VC is a good fit w/ HBS and Stanford but somewhat undifferentiated. Also, depending on your role, working for Citrix might not position you for VC in the way banking would. Pure speculation, but I wonder if the healthcare aspect of your background/NGO work points to a passion you could emphasize in your essays to differentiate yourself from other VC-focused candidates?
Other attributes: Your background as an effective debater will be viewed positively

My overall sense is that you need a couple of years of work experience to be an exceptional candidate for a top 10 school. It seems like you have excellent potential; so be sure to position yourself for team leadership/management experience in your professional life so that you will have more than technical achievements to feature in future applications. Gaining some international experience and continuing to accomplish something significant outside of work will further enhance your profile.

Best of luck!
Tyler
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
MBAPrepSchoolTyler wrote:
Hello rish2jain,

I think you have a good chance for HBS 2+2, but it's unlikely (thought not impossible) for your to receive an acceptance letter to Stanford because you lack full-time work experience. It is curious to me that you are 23 and still finishing your undergraduate work.

GMAT: Excellent
Academics: Excellent - though academic background is over-represented in applicant pools and the reputation of your school will matter
Career: Promising -- Difficult to assess w/o FT work, though the part-time work experience/achievements while in school appear solid
Honors/Award: Very Good -- The ISB Young Leaders award is notable as is the Youth Exchange Program
Student Leadership: I like the asst prefect/prefect aspect of your background
Community Service: Excellent (based on NGO awards though your role and achievements would matter)
Career Goals: VC is a good fit w/ HBS and Stanford but somewhat undifferentiated. Also, depending on your role, working for Citrix might not position you for VC in the way banking would. Pure speculation, but I wonder if the healthcare aspect of your background/NGO work points to a passion you could emphasize in your essays to differentiate yourself from other VC-focused candidates?
Other attributes: Your background as an effective debater will be viewed positively

My overall sense is that you need a couple of years of work experience to be an exceptional candidate for a top 10 school. It seems like you have excellent potential; so be sure to position yourself for team leadership/management experience in your professional life so that you will have more than technical achievements to feature in future applications. Gaining some international experience and continuing to accomplish something significant outside of work will further enhance your profile.

Best of luck!
Tyler

Thanks a lot for your response. I appreciate the help.
I thought I would just clarify the details.

I am planning to apply to Stanford for deferred admission. The reason that I am a little older and yet not working is that in some parts of India, the age limit for entering kindergarten is higher than normal.

Academics: I am studying in Jadavpur University which according to some rankings is a top 10 university for engineering in India and according to some rankings is top 15.

Community Service: I am leader of the youth brigade at the NGO. I am also responsible for the digital communications of the NGO. I am maintaining their website as well as their social media presence. I also help them with their camps and donation events.

Thank you for your help!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
My profile is as follows

Education

Top 75 US School (USNews Overall ranking) : Masters in Computer Science GPA 3.9
Bachelors in India : First class with Distinction (non-IIT) (73%)

GMAT : 720

Work Experience : 4+ years as of this post at a start up in USA, partnering with big companies. I have grown along with the company in responsibility and position/role. I work on the data analytics side of the business, providing data for profitability/pricing/accounting and big partner companies. Solely responsible for the accuracy and consistency of the data i.e. data manager.

Second job at same company--I voluntarily took the responsibility. After my 40 hours , I work on special projects where I take the lead in finding ways of increasing revenue in the smaller areas of the business. I have done 2 projects and was successful in improving the gross income. A McCombs alumni guides me in this process, who is part of management team.

Wish List of Schools
1) Booth
2) Wharton
3) Kellogg
4) Stern
5) Duke
6) Columbia
7) Mc Combs (Part-time as well)

Could you tell me if I am aiming too high and which fall within my reach ?

Thanks for your time, I appreciate your help.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello Syalaman,

I definitely like what I'm hearing so far. You academic profile is solid and studying in the the US for your master's and working for a US start-up will help significantly. I especially like the fact that you've taken the initiative to volunteer for extra business-oriented assignments to impact the revenue of your company. Well done!

Of course, It is very hard to say whether you are reaching too far with your school selection list because admissions to the top tier schools depend on the strength of your leadership portfolio -- the professional and extra-curricular achievements that convince admissions officers that you have exceptional management/leadership potential. What your resume and essays have to say about this will matter and what your references have to say about your potential will matter even more. So all I can say at this point is that the data points you've given me look promising.

Now, I suppose I have to offer all necessary caveats that you are in the most competitive applicant pool on the planet and targeting some of the most selective schools on the planet. To succeed, you'll need to present the "spikes" in your profile -- the ways that you've distinguished yourself from others with similar profiles. Many *many* candidates will have top notch academics, GMAT scores at the median, and strong resumes. These are the minimum qualifications for admission. What you do to set yourself apart as a high-potential manager/leader with purpose, passion, and focus will make the difference. I hope you'll take a look at the resources on our website, which offers tons of great advice on how to create an application that will stand out from the competition. For example, here's a link to an article I wrote about how to build an application that proves to the admissions committee that you have exceptional potential: https://mbaprepschool.com/the-1-thing-ha ... -look-for/

Best of luck!
Tyler
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Hi Tyler, would you mind reviewing my profile and answering my question regarding my GPA? Thanks!

GMAT: 750
Undergrad GPA: 3.15 in electrical engineering from Top 10 school
Master's GPA: 4.0 in electrical engineering from UCLA
Current Occupation: military officer (including a deployment to Afghanistan). Leads large scale teams (100+, formal leadership role) in the development of space systems. Consistently ranked #1 or #2 officer throughout my career.
Applying to: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Northwestern, Haas, and UCLA

Extracurriculars:
Post Grad:
1) Fundraising and Community Service Chair for a 600 member junior officer organization.
2) Garnered a community service award and title of Top Junior Officer Council in the Western U.S. for my organization.
3) Also, over the last four years, I've directly raised $25,000 to support military members, families, retirees, and charities in financial aid.
4) I volunteered for two weeks at an orphanage and an HIV/AIDS outreach center in India.
5) I'm also been an alumni interviewer for undergrad admissions for my school for several years.

During College: Heavily involved in ROTC (10-15 hours per week). Ultimately, served as Cadet Commander of my ROTC detachment. Responsible for training junior cadets to become military officers. Also, very involved (~10 hour per week) with a student-run company. Served on the executive board as the Assistant CFO and then the CFO. Company had annual sales of around $1M.

Career Goal: Couple my experience managing defense/aerospace programs and my engineering background to pursue a PM role in high technology at a company such as Google, Apple, etc in the Bay Area.

Primary Concerns:
Low GPA- My undergrad GPA isn't that great. Since then, I have gotten my master's in engineering with a 4.0 GPA. Also, I've built an alternate transcript of 2 accounting classes and an econ class (All A's). Do I need to explain my low GPA in the optional essay?
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi swbluedevil,

The schools you listed will like your profile. The GPA is somewhat of a concern, though not a deal breaker given that your major was EE so that will add a few points in your favor. Your 4.0 record in grad school helps as does the solid GMAT score. I definitely like it when candidates take courses to counterbalance a low GPA; so good for you for taking that step. Indeed, I would suggest you use the optional essay to acknowledge the lower GPA in school and to highlight the alternative transcript and Master's GPA.

Other than that, I really like your leadership portfolio in school and after graduation. The experiences you've listed indicate a habit of leadership, which is what the top 10 schools look for.

Please let MBA Prep School know if we can be of further assistance.

Kind regards,
Tyler
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Awesome, thanks Tyler!

Hi swbluedevil,

The schools you listed will like your profile. The GPA is somewhat of a concern, though not a deal breaker given that your major was EE so that will add a few points in your favor. Your 4.0 record in grad school helps as does the solid GMAT score. I definitely like it when candidates take courses to counterbalance a low GPA; so good for you for taking that step. Indeed, I would suggest you use the optional essay to acknowledge the lower GPA in school and to highlight the alternative transcript and Master's GPA.

Other than that, I really like your leadership portfolio in school and after graduation. The experiences you've listed indicate a habit of leadership, which is what the top 10 schools look for.

Please let MBA Prep School know if we can be of further assistance.

Kind regards,
Tyler
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.32
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Hi Tyler,

I was applying to four schools for Fall 2012, Johnson, Kelley, Kenan-Flagler, Marshall. I am being dinged for Kelley and Kenan-Flagler so far while Johnson placed me on waitlist without the interview and nothing from Marshall yet.

All of them were applied in R2 and now I am panic whether I should prepare for re-apply next year.
My latest GMAT score was 640 (Q47, V 30, AWA 5.5) and that was the third time I took it. The previous GMAT was 620 (Q49, V25, AWA 4.5).

Working experience is: 2 years as a licensed banker with one of the largest retail bank in the US, 1 year as a stock broker with a mid-size local firm. Also, a comprehensive accounting contract experience for 1 year in San Francisco. Total years of experience are 4 years. In addition, received a promotion to become a registered client associate within the investment department back in Nov, majority assisting financial advisors on analysis report generation and client inquiry, not sure if this would help.

Academic: I was graduated from University of Arizona in the US as finance major in 2007, not an ivy school with a major GPA of 3.23/4.00.

Activities post-graduate: Being volunteer with different projects organized by the company, e.g., adopt-a-family, helping Salvation Army assist foster children, homeless family,etc.

Background: Chinese American, was born and raised in Hong Kong. Planning to re-take CFA level 1 in December this year. Short-term goal post-graduate plans to work in I-Bank as securities analyst for emerging market in the East Coast. Long-term goal plans to become entrepreneur for an advisory/consulting firm in HK. (Very typical and common goal)

I have updated with Johnson (Cornell) that additional recommendation will be provided no later than the first week of April and an updated resume will be sent with my promotion. Plan to re-take the GMAT, but no really ready to exceed 640 yet.

My question is:
1. Should I re-take the GMAT anyways?
2. Should I withdraw my rest of applications for this year? (seems like Johnson and Marshall are harder to get in compare to Kelley and KF)
3. If I do re-apply next year for the same schools, would they favor in re-applicants?
4. Should I consider consulting advice for schools? (Those are very EXPENSIVE)
5. If re-applying, what other programs should I consider?
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Jeffau524,

Thanks for reaching out to MBA Prep School. Answers to your questions:

You should retake it when you are ready to break 700. This may very well help your results because a 640 is below median for most top 20 schools

2. Should I withdraw my rest of applications for this year? (seems like Johnson and Marshall are harder to get in compare to Kelley and KF)

No I don't think you should withdraw your applications; you can still reapply, and it is really too late to withdraw applications submitted for R2.

3. If I do re-apply next year for the same schools, would they favor in re-applicants?

They might favor re-applicants in the sense that applying again indicates commitment to the school. However, you would really need to improve the quality of your application both in terms of content and execution. Otherwise, the results will be the same.

Your results could be related to an execution problem with your applications, and a consultant can certainly help correct those kinds of missteps. I wrote this blog post to explain some of the benefits of hiring a consultant:

Q&A: Should I hire an MBA admissions consultant or not? --https://mbaprepschool.com/qa-should-i-hire-an-mba-admissions-consultant-or-not/

You should consider schools with higher acceptance rates than the schools that you applied to this time around. This slide show summarizes acceptance rates for many business schools:

https://images.businessweek.com/slidesho ... s-schools/

Best of luck and please let us know if we can be of assistance. Here is a link to another article that discusses what to consider when reapplying to business school.

https://mbaprepschool.com/reapplying-to-business-school/

The article ends with a description of a diagnostic service MBA Prep School offers for re-applicants. You can learn more about it here:

https://mbaprepschool.com/services/ding-diagnostic-report/

Best regards,
Tyler
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.32
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Tyler, thank you so much for the advice. That helps me relief for a bit.

Hi Jeffau524,

Thanks for reaching out to MBA Prep School. Answers to your questions:

You should retake it when you are ready to break 700. This may very well help your results because a 640 is below median for most top 20 schools

No I don't think you should withdraw your applications; you can still reapply, and it is really too late to withdraw applications submitted for R2.

They might favor re-applicants in the sense that applying again indicates commitment to the school. However, you would really need to improve the quality of your application both in terms of content and execution. Otherwise, the results will be the same.

Your results could be related to an execution problem with your applications, and a consultant can certainly help correct those kinds of missteps. I wrote this blog post to explain some of the benefits of hiring a consultant:

Q&A: Should I hire an MBA admissions consultant or not? --https://mbaprepschool.com/qa-should-i-hire-an-mba-admissions-consultant-or-not/

You should consider schools with higher acceptance rates than the schools that you applied to this time around. This slide show summarizes acceptance rates for many business schools:

https://images.businessweek.com/slidesho ... s-schools/

Best of luck and please let us know if we can be of assistance. Here is a link to another article that discusses what to consider when reapplying to business school.

https://mbaprepschool.com/reapplying-to-business-school/

The article ends with a description of a diagnostic service MBA Prep School offers for re-applicants. You can learn more about it here:

https://mbaprepschool.com/services/ding-diagnostic-report/

Best regards,
Tyler
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: General, Product Management
Schools:Kellog,UCLA,Ross,Emory,Broad
 Q45  V31 GMAT 2: 650  Q48  V31 GMAT 3: 700  Q48  V38
GPA: low
WE 1: Software Banking Product Development
Send PM
Hi Tyler,

Thanks for the good work you are doing over here.

Request you to kindly analyze my profile and give me a few pointers on
1) Choice of schools for Fall 2013
2) Have I outgrown 2 yr MBA?
3) Given my age and experience on the higher side will it be a hard sell to tell the adcoms that I wish to change my job function.
4) What can I do now to improve my profile?

 GMAT score : 700 ( Q=48; V=38) , Nov-2009 (had given it 2 times previously - 630 and 650)
 Analytical Writing : 5.0
 Citizenship: Indian
 Currently working and residing in : Singapore (past 3.5 yrs)
 Age: 30
 Degree: B.E (Computer Engg.)
 Year of graduation: 2003
 Years of experience: 8.5 years
 Current Employment Oracle Financial Services Software - Since Feb-2005. Mumbai and SG.
 Current Designation : Software development Manager
 Experience: Banking Domain - Origination, Interfaces, Payments. Working on various technologies in used in Flexcube-Retail. Now working on Next generation product. All new domain , new tech.
 Extra Curricular activities:
• Participated various events at school and college level,
• Was the member of Organizing Committee for cultural activities for my company in Singapore and organized many events like bowling day, family day.

Have been doing Technical Management role since last 3.5 yrs and if I am here, will keep doing the same for a few more years. Only thing that might keep increasing is the quantum of responsibility - more functionalities, more deliverables. I feel the need to learn more, understand more for example
1) how do businesses work
2) how to setup your own company
3) how do you sell an IT product.

I keep thinking about these questions and I am sure might get some guidance from books but somewhere I feel MBA is necessary.

My ultimate goal is to move up gradually through the management path, and the MBA will help prepare me for future opportunities as they come along Preferably in the consulting for the banking domain. Understand the business side of IT. In short, my goal is to obtain an MBA degree, and then work in the technology consulting industry, either with a consulting firm or with a financial institution where my domain and technical knowledge will help.

Can I do this right now by just switching jobs? Probably not.

I am a re-applicant.

Schools I had thought were a good fit for me 3 years back when I applied in 2009 but ended up applying to only 2.

Long shot : 1) Cornell 2) Emory 3) CMU Tepper 4) UNC Kenan-Flagler
Good Chance 1) Kelley 2) Austin
Safe Bets : 1) NUS - applied and dinged 2) HKUST 3) Broad - MSU 4) NTU - applied and dinged

As you can see, my safe bets rejected me. But I think my profile has changed a lot since then and I am ripe now to do an MBA.

I am sorry this is a long query. Let me know your analysis and guidance for Aug 2013.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6