Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
 Q43  V41
WE 1: IT Consulting - 5 Years
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategic Consulting/Brand Management
Schools:Cornell (R3-Admitted);
 Q43  V38 GMAT 2: 710  Q46  V41
WE 1: 5+ IT Business Consultant/Project Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
 Q43  V41
Send PM
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink]
AriBenCanaan wrote:
Congrats man... am in the same boat or so... international on the waitlist... it is interesting that they are still offering seats - so i guess i can still be hopeful. In terms of visa, I think you have to travel back to your home country to get stamped for an F-1. The moment you quit your job, i think your currenty H/L visa status also gets annuled ans set you up for a new F-1.

Thanks. It's still not an outright offer though, given the complications with international visa transfers...

I googled and found out that I can do a COS (change of status, had to google this too!) from H/L to F and without leaving the US. I can get the stamping done at a US Consulate the next time I visit my home country. The only problem with this approach is that it can take any time between 1 or 2 months to get the COS done - this could be too late for start of class this fall...

Ideally I'd like to get my F1 before I quit my job and going back to my home country now would mean that I quit my job now, jeopardizing prospects with my current job with no guarantee that I'll land up with a F1....

So at the moment, I am counting on the ISSO to provide guidance....

moiuday, I hope you get the call too, then we can brainstorm this together :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AriBenCanaan wrote:
AriBenCanaan wrote:
Congrats man... am in the same boat or so... international on the waitlist... it is interesting that they are still offering seats - so i guess i can still be hopeful. In terms of visa, I think you have to travel back to your home country to get stamped for an F-1. The moment you quit your job, i think your currenty H/L visa status also gets annuled ans set you up for a new F-1.

Thanks. It's still not an outright offer though, given the complications with international visa transfers...

I googled and found out that I can do a COS (change of status, had to google this too!) from H/L to F and without leaving the US. I can get the stamping done at a US Consulate the next time I visit my home country. The only problem with this approach is that it can take any time between 1 or 2 months to get the COS done - this could be too late for start of class this fall...

Ideally I'd like to get my F1 before I quit my job and going back to my home country now would mean that I quit my job now, jeopardizing prospects with my current job with no guarantee that I'll land up with a F1....

So at the moment, I am counting on the ISSO to provide guidance....

moiuday, I hope you get the call too, then we can brainstorm this together :)

well... i am hoping for that too. I don't think you will have a problem in getting an F1 as long as all your documents are in order. You are going to Cornell and the visa officer must have a very good reason to reject you for studying at such a university. I would not worry about that. If I were to get a call, I'd quit my job right away... get docs in place and go home to get stamped.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
brainhurt wrote:
AndrewFlintoff wrote:
Has anyone been contacted by Kroll for the background check? I remember reading that Kroll would reach out to us in mid-June, but I have not heard from Kroll yet.

I got my Kroll email today.

Hi,

What does Kroll asks in the email? Could you please give some details on it. Also, did the email be sent to your Johnson email address or personal one? Last question :-D In which round did Johnson admit you?

Thanks a lot.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I am INNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!

Just got the call today... status changed to Offer... i am running on adrenalin right now. Thanks to all you guys for your support esp. brainhurt, redjam, fd, AriBenCanaan. I'll see you guys soon at Cornell.
Intern
Intern
 Q43  V41
Send PM
moiuday wrote:
I am INNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!

Just got the call today... status changed to Offer... i am running on adrenalin right now. Thanks to all you guys for your support esp. brainhurt, redjam, fd, AriBenCanaan. I'll see you guys soon at Cornell.

Awesome moiuday! Congratulations!!!

I guess my status is still pending with the ISSO.....
Manager
Manager
Send PM
So, I have a general question. Is it worth getting my car to Cornell?... When I went to Ithaca for the interview I felt it would be a waste because I wouldn't use it that much (being busy most days)... cant drive too much either because traffic moves < 30mph. Also there is the burden of insurance and maintenance. I looked at the housing guide and looks like most common residentials are a 15-20 walk from Sage hall. I am planning to sell my car as the $ would be quite useful. Thoughts anyone?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
moiuday wrote:
So, I have a general question. Is it worth getting my car to Cornell?... When I went to Ithaca for the interview I felt it would be a waste because I wouldn't use it that much (being busy most days)... cant drive too much either because traffic moves < 30mph. Also there is the burden of insurance and maintenance. I looked at the housing guide and looks like most common residentials are a 15-20 walk from Sage hall. I am planning to sell my car as the $ would be quite useful. Thoughts anyone?

I was an undergrad at Cornell and am attending Johnson this fall and if you are living within walking distance of campus it is not worth it in my opinion. I had a car as an undergrad and rarely used it. However, the one thing that it really would be useful for is grocery shopping as the super markets in Ithaca are all beyond walking distance of campus.

Also, congrats on your acceptance!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am in the same boat as some of the other international students (Indian). I received a call from acting admission director on Friday to enquire about my situation and interest in accepting the offer. Being international, I was also asked about my visa change (H1B to F1). But, I have not received a follow up call as yet. Do you think I should give up or there is still hope?
To AriBenCanaan: What does ISSO think about the time duration for H1B to F1?
Intern
Intern
 Q43  V41
Send PM
MBAdiator wrote:
I am in the same boat as some of the other international students (Indian). I received a call from acting admission director on Friday to enquire about my situation and interest in accepting the offer. Being international, I was also asked about my visa change (H1B to F1). But, I have not received a follow up call as yet. Do you think I should give up or there is still hope?
To AriBenCanaan: What does ISSO think about the time duration for H1B to F1?

Well, ad-com has still kept me in limbo and it looks like the entire admissions office is out of office the entire week - to me this looks like they've made their decisions already so I'm getting back to GMAT re-take preparation.

According to ISSO, as long as you file for change of status you should be good to join the course.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Can anyone else besides brainhurt confirm they have received the Kroll background inquiry? I have not to date. Does Johnson does have Kroll background check everyone or just a sample?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2013
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
I haven't heard from Kroll myself. I must admit I'm a bit disappointed with the way the student services guys have managed this whole process so far. They've barely stuck to any of their own deadlines!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
redjam17 wrote:
I haven't heard from Kroll myself. I must admit I'm a bit disappointed with the way the student services guys have managed this whole process so far. They've barely stuck to any of their own deadlines!

You'll find people who know what they are doing and some that may procrastinate a little more. Hang in there.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
3 weeks to orientation and I still havent heard from Kroll :( What the hell is going on?

I reached to Johnson Admissions and they said they would send out Kroll instructions in a few days (this was about 3 weeks ago), but nothing yet. I also just told my employer that I am leaving the company, so there better not be any issues with Kroll.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Corp Fin
Schools:Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
 Q44  V42 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V40
GPA: 1.87
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP &amp; Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
Any eager beavers willing to start the Cornell thread for next year's class? I will help you manage it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2013
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
I'd be happy to do that Ariel.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Can someone please tell me when the FT program actually starts in the Fall? Not necessarily when courses begin, but when it's best to be on campus for orientation, social events, exemption exams, etc. When should I be in Ithaca?

Note: I'm applying this Fall for the class of 2014, so this is just a forward-looking question. I have found it quite difficult to locate academic calendars on the web.

Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72