Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:12 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
WE:Research (Health Care)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Going over the employment statistics page it does look like Management Consulting is a fairly big chunk of recruiting and the big guns (McKinsey, BCG, Bain et al) do hire at Tuck. Unfortunately (like someone pointed out earlier too), there isn't any more detail as to the number of students these companies recruit. If anyone has any more details, especially for the big firms, it would be immensely helpful info.

TIA.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Actually one more question - does Tuck provide any info on the percentage of applicants and/or admits in EA vs. R1 (November round). I'm currently debating whether to apply EA or R1. Links to any previous discussions on this topic will also be useful. Thanks guys.
Current Student
Send PM
pkatmi wrote:
Going over the employment statistics page it does look like Management Consulting is a fairly big chunk of recruiting and the big guns (McKinsey, BCG, Bain et al) do hire at Tuck. Unfortunately (like someone pointed out earlier too), there isn't any more detail as to the number of students these companies recruit. If anyone has any more details, especially for the big firms, it would be immensely helpful info.

TIA.

The only information that I know of is dartmouth-tuck-103699.html . Those numbers are from 2009. As you can see the top 3 employers for the school were the big three consulting firms. My guess is that of all students maybe 30-35% go for consulting. That's just a guess.

To answer your 2nd question, EA sees highest accept rate. From my research, it's usually 3-5% higher than the average acceptance rate. Nov round is either at the average or 1% above. January about average. April below average.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Tuck - Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Tuck '13 (M)
GPA: 3.93
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
FrozenTongue wrote:
I hope Tuck doesnt weigh my application in negative light just because of logistical difficulties (Visa, time, flight/ time zones)

I'm sure that they won't, the adcom definitely understands the difficulties facing international applicants. What they want to see is that you have done the best that YOU can do. Keep that in mind and you'll do fine!

I hope I get to meet you at some point in the future!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Tuck2013 wrote:
The only information that I know of is dartmouth-tuck-103699.html . Those numbers are from 2009. As you can see the top 3 employers for the school were the big three consulting firms. My guess is that of all students maybe 30-35% go for consulting. That's just a guess.

To answer your 2nd question, EA sees highest accept rate. From my research, it's usually 3-5% higher than the average acceptance rate. Nov round is either at the average or 1% above. January about average. April below average.

Very useful 'Tuck2013' - Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2013
Send PM
FrozenTongue wrote:
Tuck2013, eestineiu, and RHB:

No greater demonstration of Tuck's community feeling than you guys helping us out here!!! Love the place for this feeling alone. And this is exactly the reason I am not in favour of Chicago, Columbia or LBS. Staying out in cities by yourself, it is easy to get lost in the usual stuff. The kind of relationships Tuck fosters is the one I am looking after..

Cheers guys for your offer of help....

One question, for you and other internationals here:

We love Tuck, true... but flying all the way across the globe, just to visit Tuck is a bit overboard for everyone... How does this "applicant initiated interview" process work for Internationals....

Great to hear your passion for Tuck!

My situation is a bit different as I have been working in US for a while and could fly to the interview. However, I know several people (including those based in US) who did Skype interview and got accepted. So I wouldn't worry about flying across the globe just to visit. Thorough research and showing your passion should do the trick:)

Very best of luck to you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: CBS '14 (D)
Send PM
hello all, where did you find information about the July 29 summer visit?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
tripleD2 wrote:

https://dartmba.askadmissions.net/Porta ... ate/Search

and then search for events at Hanover

that'll bring up only one result which is the summer visit day

https://dartmba.askadmissions.net/Porta ... Url=Search

I did not find any more details on the event though. Personally, I'm skipping this one - I think a visit would be much more useful when classes are in session.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Kudos
madzy wrote:
Hi,

I am basically interacts in investment management and am looking at schools to apply in the 1st deadline. I wanted to understand from someone the following :

1. How is Tuck's finance program rated?
2. I am 32 hence slightly older than the average MBA entrant. I would like to know whether that would be an issue with Tuck?
3. What are placements at Tuck like? D several finance firms recruit from Tuck? Specially investment management? I understand that networking is extremely essential for IM jobs. That I am willing to do. Which are the regular finance names at Tuck? Any hedge funds in there?

Appreciate your help.

Regards,
Madly

Within the investment management space, Tuck actually has very strong ties to the big mutual funds in Boston. Fidelity, Putnam, Wellington, T Rowe Price, and Hartford all do on campus recruiting and interviews. Since there are typically only 10-15 Tuck students going after these jobs your ability to interview with them is extremely high (in some cases essentially guaranteed). At that point, it's all up to you. You will need to work your ass off putting together top notch stock pitches... these interviews are TOUGH. Make sure you know what you're getting into when it comes to IM recruiting, including putting together pitches and preparing for these interviews. It's not just networking. Although being at Tuck should get you an interview, it wont get you the job. Often times these companies will come to campus and interview but give out no offers (typically they interview at 5-10 schools and give out only a handful of offers nationwide). Tuck will put you in front of these guys and give you the shot, it's up to you to close.

As far as hedge funds, you are not going to get that on campus. It's a very difficult off campus process and you will likely need some of your own contacts. Although its not completely impossible, Tuck isn't going to be a great help to you here. You will need a stellar resume, massive commitment to the job hunt, and luck. People I've seen pull off hedge fund jobs have prior bulge bracket banking or trading experience followed by hedge fund or pe before school and killed themselves on the networking front including dipping deep into their own networking, sending out hundreds of cold emails, pounding the pavement, etc. This is not a path I would reccomend. Mutual funds (above) are a much better path into IM.

Lastly on the recruiting front, you can always get a bulge bracket banking job and try for IM later. All the big banks come to campus and people have a lot of success landing these jobs from Tuck. But if IM is really what you want I wouldn't reccomend this. Its impossible to recruit both, you have to pick one.

As far as your other questions... how is the finance program rated? Tuck is very strong in finance recruiting, has a strong alum network in the field, and is very well regarded. You can get into large mutual funds, bulge bracket banks, private equity (mid market), etc. On the academic front I would say the offerings are average to pretty weak, but business school is not about academics. It's about job opportunities, network, and rep of the school. You'll learn enough finance (and then learn on the job) to be able to handle any job opp you're able to land. There's also a lot of outside the class learning, such as preparing your stock pitch and you will have all the help you need and then some from your classmates in that regard, many of which have prior IM, banking, or research experience. Oh that reminds me... you can also land sell side research jobs at banks from Tuck so that's another option.

As far as age, 32 is fine.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools: CBS '14 (D)
Send PM
pkatmi wrote:
tripleD2 wrote:

I did not find any more details on the event though. Personally, I'm skipping this one - I think a visit would be much more useful when classes are in session.

Ahh, thank you! I agree with you about visiting when classes are in session. When do you plan on visiting?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
Send PM
I'll be applying to Tuck for Round 1. I love the school and definitely want to visit. However, the Summer Visit Days don't suit my work schedule. Is a school visit combined with an on-campus interview a good idea?

Thanks
Current Student
Send PM
Gobias wrote:
I'll be applying to Tuck for Round 1. I love the school and definitely want to visit. However, the Summer Visit Days don't suit my work schedule. Is a school visit combined with an on-campus interview a good idea?

Thanks

It's a great idea. You will probably get a better feel for the school. However, a summer day isn't bad either.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
pkatmi wrote:

I'm heading up for the visit day on friday, but plan to go back again when classes are in session. I figured more than one visit to a school known for 'fit' wouldn't be a bad thing.

Plus, this friday is my friday off, so it worked perfect with my schedule!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
GPA: 3.48
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
madzy wrote:
Hi,

I am basically interacts in investment management and am looking at schools to apply in the 1st deadline. I wanted to understand from someone the following :

1. How is Tuck's finance program rated?
2. I am 32 hence slightly older than the average MBA entrant. I would like to know whether that would be an issue with Tuck?
3. What are placements at Tuck like? D several finance firms recruit from Tuck? Specially investment management? I understand that networking is extremely essential for IM jobs. That I am willing to do. Which are the regular finance names at Tuck? Any hedge funds in there?

Appreciate your help.

Regards,
Madly

Within the investment management space, Tuck actually has very strong ties to the big mutual funds in Boston. Fidelity, Putnam, Wellington, T Rowe Price, and Hartford all do on campus recruiting and interviews. Since there are typically only 10-15 Tuck students going after these jobs your ability to interview with them is extremely high (in some cases essentially guaranteed). At that point, it's all up to you. You will need to work your ass off putting together top notch stock pitches... these interviews are TOUGH. Make sure you know what you're getting into when it comes to IM recruiting, including putting together pitches and preparing for these interviews. It's not just networking. Although being at Tuck should get you an interview, it wont get you the job. Often times these companies will come to campus and interview but give out no offers (typically they interview at 5-10 schools and give out only a handful of offers nationwide). Tuck will put you in front of these guys and give you the shot, it's up to you to close.

As far as hedge funds, you are not going to get that on campus. It's a very difficult off campus process and you will likely need some of your own contacts. Although its not completely impossible, Tuck isn't going to be a great help to you here. You will need a stellar resume, massive commitment to the job hunt, and luck. People I've seen pull off hedge fund jobs have prior bulge bracket banking or trading experience followed by hedge fund or pe before school and killed themselves on the networking front including dipping deep into their own networking, sending out hundreds of cold emails, pounding the pavement, etc. This is not a path I would reccomend. Mutual funds (above) are a much better path into IM.

Lastly on the recruiting front, you can always get a bulge bracket banking job and try for IM later. All the big banks come to campus and people have a lot of success landing these jobs from Tuck. But if IM is really what you want I wouldn't reccomend this. Its impossible to recruit both, you have to pick one.

As far as your other questions... how is the finance program rated? Tuck is very strong in finance recruiting, has a strong alum network in the field, and is very well regarded. You can get into large mutual funds, bulge bracket banks, private equity (mid market), etc. On the academic front I would say the offerings are average to pretty weak, but business school is not about academics. It's about job opportunities, network, and rep of the school. You'll learn enough finance (and then learn on the job) to be able to handle any job opp you're able to land. There's also a lot of outside the class learning, such as preparing your stock pitch and you will have all the help you need and then some from your classmates in that regard, many of which have prior IM, banking, or research experience. Oh that reminds me... you can also land sell side research jobs at banks from Tuck so that's another option.

As far as age, 32 is fine.

Good luck!

Hey,

Thanks for your note. This is very informative.

- madzy
Manager
Manager
Send PM
@ Ihatethegmat
- I cannot find too many economics and finance electives.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
@ Jay (page 2)
- thanks
- will be great if you can help me with some fin and eco electives one can take.

regards,
madzy
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
madzy wrote:
@ Ihatethegmat
- I cannot find too many economics and finance electives.

See my last paragraph... strong on finance recruiting, reputation, and network, weaker on academics. Frankly, electives don't really matter. You should have your internship lined up (which should, hopefully, lead to your full time job) before you take a single elective. 2nd year, when you take electives, people spend more time hanging out and partying than studying anyway.

if you really need to know electives because youre looking for something to list in your app or something (and by the way you want finance and accounting, not economics, nobody cares about economics classes) i can think of these finance electives off the top of my head: investments, pe finance, financial statement interpretation and analysis, management accounting, credit risk, futures and options, mergers & acquisitions, restructuring. Investments is taught by Ken French if you want to plug in the name of a "famous" finance guy.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  70   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts