Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:24 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Private Equity
Schools:Chicago booth,Dartmouth,Duke
 Q48  V27
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [1]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [0]
Send PM
Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink]
Expert Reply
akshey2021 wrote:
Apologies for asking such a basic question - I'm afraid i haven't yet figured out how to draw these graphs accurately in the actual exam- I've heard you aren't permitted to take a ruler into the center.

How do you draw the figure for eg. x-y < 2 accurately enough to see that the equation passes through point P in your diag. ?

Yes, you can't use a ruler. In many cases even if you don't draw accurate, you will see key points and areas. Then (like in 4. here) you can calculate for a couple of questionable points their precise positions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
 Q48  V34
Send PM
walker wrote:
Hi all! My friend, Tarek, PM me and asked me to show how to use the graphic approach to problem with inequalities. I really love such approach because it is not only fast one after training, but also reliable. So, I try to illustrate how to use it.

1) If \((x/y)>2\), is \(3x+2y<18?\)

(1) \(x-y\) is less than \(2\)
(2) \(y-x\) is less than \(2\)

1. First of all, we draw x/y>2. x/y=2 - is a boundary. (see figure 1). we should note that if one of the variables is negative and other is positive, x/y will be always negative and less than 2. Therefore, our set of x,y that satisfied x/y>2 lies between line x/y=2 and x-axis.

2. Next, we draw our main inequality: 3x+2y<18. 3x+2y=18 - is a boundary. (see figure 2).

3. Now, we should combine our main inequality with the restriction, x/y>2. (see figure 3). Eventually, we defined two areas (sets) were the main inequality is TRUE and were it is FALSE. Two lines intersect in point P with coordinates: (4.5;2.25).

4. Let's consider fist condition: x-y<2. x-y=2 is a boundary. (see figure 4). As we can see all y,x that satisfies the fist condition lie in "green-TRUE" region. Therefore, the first statement is sufficient to answer the question. We should be careful and check where line x-y=2 passes point P, through left side or right side. We can put y=2.25 into x-y=2 and find that x=4.25<4.5 (left side). In other words, line x-y=2 passes y=2.25 (y-coordinate of P) early and goes above P.

5. Finally, let's check last condition: y-x<2. y-x=2 is a boundary. (see figure 5). As we can see all y,x that satisfies the second condition lie in both "green-TRUE" and "red-FALSE" regions. Thus, the second condition is insufficient.

So, answer is A

This approach took less than 2 minutes.

Tips:

1) How fast can we draw a line, for example 3x+2y=18? Simple approach: we need two points to draw line, let's choose intersections with x- and y- axes. x=0 (intersection with y-axis) --> y=9; y=0 (intersection with x-axis) --> x=6.

2) Let's suppose we have a linear inequality, such as 38y-11x>121, suppose we've already drawn the line. How can we find what side is "true" and what side is "false"? The fastest method is just use y=0,x=-infinity. In our case, 0-(-infinity)=infinity>121 - true. Therefore, we take a left side.

That's all :)
Regards,
Serg a.k.a. Walker

Attachment:
The attachment tarek99.png is no longer available

i have a doubt...while plotting x/y>2...i multiplied both sides with y and got the inequality x>2y and followed nach0's rules... i got this graph...what am i missing here? whats wrong...?
Attachments

graph.png
graph.png [ 12.14 KiB | Viewed 5410 times ]

SVP
SVP
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
fivedaysleft wrote:
i have a doubt...while plotting x/y>2...i multiplied both sides with y and got the inequality x>2y .....

Your problem is a typical one for inequalities and modulus questions. You just forget to consider the case when y is negative.
Here is what you should do:

1. x/y >2
2. x >2y (y>0) & x <2y (y<0)
3. solve both inequalities BUT don't forget to apply conditions (y>0 and y<0). For example, in your plot y can't be negative.

By the way, try to check out whether the answer makes sense. Moreover, sometimes it's useful think a bit about expression at the beginning. For example, x/y > 2 only if x and y have the same sign. So, your last graph fails to pass this test.

Actually, that is why I used graphic approach as it allows to avoid such kind of mistakes.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
Send PM
walker wrote:

1. First of all, we draw x/y>2. x/y=2 - is a boundary. (see figure 1). we should note that if one of the variables is negative and other is positive, x/y will be always negative and less than 2. Therefore, our set of x,y that satisfied x/y>2 lies between line x/y=2 and x-axis.

[/url]

Hello Walker and everyone
I might sound really dumb here but just wanted to clarify a doubt as to WHY NOT any point in quadrant 1 and quadrant 3 relating to (X,Y) will give x/y>2. How did you calculate that the points "x/y>2 lies between line x/y=2 and x-axis."
I understood that both need to be negative or both the variables need to be Positive. But these values seem to be satisfied by points in whole of quadrant 1 and quadrant 3

Waiting for your reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT Date: 09-08-2012
GPA: 3
Send PM
I do not get how to draw (x/y)>2

can someone simplify this? I understand the rest what am I missing?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
x/y >2 is not the same as x > 2y and here is how to approach it in a right way:

There are 3 options:
1) y>0: x > 2y ---> y < 1/2x
2) y=0: undefined
3) y<0: x < 2y ---> y > 1/2x

1) area above y=0 and below y = 1/2x
2) we are not drawing it but keeping in mind that at y=0 the inequality is undefined
3) area below y=0 and above y=1/2x
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Send PM
matrix777 wrote:
Ok this might be a dumb question, but I see both graphs 4 and 5 lines passing from the true region.
How can you deduce which one is correct?

Also for graph 4 "walker" said, "4. Let's consider fist condition: x-y<2. x-y=2 is a boundary. (see figure 4). As we can see all y,x that satisfies the fist condition lie in "green-TRUE" region."

But I see some points that lie outside, how can "all" points satisfy this?

I m in waiting list, gotta take the test again to get in. Please please can somebody help me :shock: ?

same questions here. can you please explain the "all" , that u mentioned walker? since point (10,8) don't satisfy the green region.

Thank you.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Don't forget about x/y>2 that defines area of possible values. (10,8) is not one of them as 10/8 < 2.

Let me sum up the main approach using the set theory:

Our problem:

If A is true, is B true?
1) C is true
2) D is true

Approach

A - defines the set of all possible values. At this point we forget all other values outside of A as they are not considered in the problem
B - divides A by two subsets: A(true) and A(false)
C - we need to figure out whether the intersection of A and C (A ∩ C) has elements only A(true) or only A(false)
D - the same as for C

So, when I said "all" I meant all possible values (it doesn't include any elements outside of A).
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Responding to a pm:

To convert x/y > 2 to y = kx form, you can take two cases:

Case 1:
y > 0
x > 2y

Case 2:
y < 0
x < 2y

Now draw x = 2y (see the first diagram of the first post by walker. It's the blue line)
When y > 0 (i.e. region above the x axis), x > 2y. Just plug in a point to figure out the required region. Say, the inequality holds for (4, 1) and hence the required region is below the blue line (but above the x axis)

Similarly, when y < 0 (i.e. region below the x axis), x < 2y. Again, the region between the x axis and x = 2y will be the required region.

So you have got the entire blue region. This is where the relation x/y > 2 holds.

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 10 Mar 2013, 20:28.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 11 Oct 2022, 02:21, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.51
WE:Other (Transportation)
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Responding to a pm:

To convert x/y > 2 to y = kx form, you can take two cases:

Case 1:
y > 0
x > 2y

Case 2:
y < 0
x < 2y

Now draw x = 2y (see the first diagram of the first post by walker. It's the blue line)
When y > 0 (i.e. region above the x axis), x > 2y. Just plug in a point to figure out the required region. Say, the inequality holds for (4, 1) and hence the required region is below the blue line (but above the x axis)

Similarly, when y < 0 (i.e. region below the x axis), x < 2y. Again, the region between the x axis and x = 2y will be the required region.

So you have got the entire blue region. This is where the relation x/y > 2
For more on plotting regions of inequality, check out this post: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2011/01 ... -part-iii/

Those were helpful indeed :-D. Thanks. Your Quarter Wit, Quarter Wisdom blog is an eye opener. However i feel that question could have been solved faster by an algebric approach, but only because we were provided that both x and y are positive. In absence of such constraints i think the graphical approach will be faster. Another query though. I found this mentioned at the end of the post. I hope you have come to appreciate the wide range of applicability of graphs. Next time, I will introduce a graphical way of working with Modulus and Inequalities. Could I get a link for that. Thnx in advance
And i faintly remember learning some tricks about plotting graphs in my high school. Something to the tune of-"Graph of y=kx can be drawn by expanding the graph of y=x by k times and y=K+x can be drawn by shifting y=x by k units(to the left or right?? :roll: ) Do i need to revisit those for the GMAT??
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink]
Kudos