Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Cornell (Matriculated - Consortium Fellowship), Yale (Admitted), Georgetown (Admitted + $$), UCLA (Admitted + $$), NYU (WL)
 Q44  V42
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink]
Does anyone have any idea of when this daggone application will be released. I would like to see the school specific essay questions so I can start brainstorming. I don't want to wait until a month before the R1 deadline to start writing them.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Consortium
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Did anybody else attend the DMAC conference @ UCLA this past Saturday? The CEO of Consortium, Peter Aranda, was the keynote speaker and he gave one hell of a speech.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
mixedin86 wrote:
Did anybody else attend the DMAC conference @ UCLA this past Saturday? The CEO of Consortium, Peter Aranda, was the keynote speaker and he gave one hell of a speech.

How was this event? I seriously thought about attending but making that trip out to LA wasnt feasible at this time. It looks like you are interested in a lot of the schools I am, how were their presentations, any good info?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Consortium
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
johnnyGMAT2k10 wrote:
mixedin86 wrote:

How was this event? I seriously thought about attending but making that trip out to LA wasnt feasible at this time. It looks like you are interested in a lot of the schools I am, how were their presentations, any good info?

In short, the event was awesome. The highlight was when we got to sit at roundtables with admissions officers from different programs. It would be one admissions officer and 7 prospective students and we would rotate to a different program/ admissions officer every 20 minutes or so. I was assigned roundtables for NYU, Cornell, Texas, & Columbia. Of those four I was impressed by the way Cornell and Texas presented their program, was neutral of NYU, and disappointed by Columbia. It may have just been that the more reputable programs didn't feel they needed to "sell" people on there program so they didn't send their best people to the event, but who knows. A buddy of mine who sat at 3 of the 4 same roundtables as me felt the same way. I also heard people talking about how great the USC and Indiana presentations were.

All in all, it was a great event, but I don't think it was worth going to if you weren't within driving distant so you probably made the right choice.
VP
VP
Send PM
mixedin86 wrote:
johnnyGMAT2k10 wrote:
mixedin86 wrote:

In short, the event was awesome. The highlight was when we got to sit at roundtables with admissions officers from different programs. It would be one admissions officer and 7 prospective students and we would rotate to a different program/ admissions officer every 20 minutes or so. I was assigned roundtables for NYU, Cornell, Texas, & Columbia. Of those four I was impressed by the way Cornell and Texas presented their program, was neutral of NYU, and disappointed by Columbia. It may have just been that the more reputable programs didn't feel they needed to "sell" people on there program so they didn't send their best people to the event, but who knows. A buddy of mine who sat at 3 of the 4 same roundtables as me felt the same way. I also heard people talking about how great the USC and Indiana presentations were.

All in all, it was a great event, but I don't think it was worth going to if you weren't within driving distant so you probably made the right choice.

I had that same feeling about those same schools (x Texas b/c they weren't there) when I went to the MBA Tour event in NYC last month. Cornell's presentation was awesome! It actually put them back on my list. Columbia was represented by two students and I have to admit I was kind of disappointed. I'm hoping that when I visit schools I will be able to get a better sense of them. Hopefully this can help me cut back my school list from 9 to like 6 or 7.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
For those of you interested in the Diversity Conference the application is up:

https://mba.tuck.dartmouth.edu/pages/clu ... /info.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
WE:Marketing (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Is there a simple way to find out how many scholarships each school gave out? or should we just contact each school and ask?
VP
VP
Send PM
edoy56 wrote:
Is there a simple way to find out how many scholarships each school gave out? or should we just contact each school and ask?

I don't know if how many scholarships they gave out last year will be an indication of how many they will award this year. Maybe you should try to find the number of scholarships awarded for the last 3 years. Seeing a trend might give you a better picture.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
For anyone interested in interviewing at Tuck slots are now open
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
WE:Project Management (Journalism and Publishing)
Send PM
I am in for this year. Nervous as all get out but I'm going for it!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Good luck to everyone

On a side note i want to clarify a couple of things. If fellowship is really important to you be careful in your rankings...

Also some schools have really big consortium classes but very few fellowships handed out. If you are in MLT you have much better chances of fellowship awards. The MLT students have better relationships with the schools because of their long process and the continuos contact with the school reps.

If you are an African American woman, i would look at Tuck. However, make sure you really want to go there and you can show them you love the school. They are lacking in minority numbers and would love to see more African American women apply.... Chances are you will get a fellowship from them.....and honestly it’s a great school. The folks there are great and you can’t beat their alumni... because you will need it especially in this economy.

GMAT, GMAT, GMAT, GMAT. Can i say that again? That score matters especially with fellowships.... i know very many people who got denied fellowships because of the friggin test. But they got membership.

As for UCLA, they gave fellowships. I know they gave to students... If you have a strong application and they love you they will give you money.

One thing that i have learnt from this whole process is schools are very different. Some schools are really after overall great students in terms of well-rounded applicant i.e. GREAT GMAT, work experience.... Other schools really want minorities with high GMAT scores for their class profiles....and would sacrifice work experience quality and G.P.A for that... that has been my observations not to mention a couple of others have observed the same thing.

On a last note, there is a rumor that one of the top schools will be joining the consortium.... It may happen this year or next.... If that school joins, the game will definitely change for the other consortium schools. Also the consortium is taking over the interview process and awarding consortium membership as of this year...

Also for those wondering how many fellowships were awarded, class of 2013 323 were awarded.

Good luck everyone.... all the best
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Chire, how did you come to know all of this information? Are you a current student or affilliated with the Consortium? In regards to the Consortium fellowship, what would be the range of GMAT scores that would make a potential candidate competitive? What schools would you say give out the most/least amount of fellowships and what do you mean the consortium is handling membersihp now? I know that is a lot to ask, but I was hoping you could go into more depth for those that aren't familiar with the process.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
cauxion wrote:
Chire, how did you come to know all of this information? Are you a current student or affilliated with the Consortium? In regards to the Consortium fellowship, what would be the range of GMAT scores that would make a potential candidate competitive? What schools would you say give out the most/least amount of fellowships and what do you mean the consortium is handling membersihp now? I know that is a lot to ask, but I was hoping you could go into more depth for those that aren't familiar with the process.

I am a current student and yes affiliated with the consortium. I know all this because of a source who works for the consortium.

The GMAT range depends on the school. If you get 700 - sky is the limit. I can only speak to the schools i applied to and got in/denied/waitlisted. Also the schools my fellow MLT alumni are attending.

The consortium membership decisions will be made by the organisation. i.e CGSM. The fellowship/ scholarship decision will be made by the schools still. CGSM will be interviewing candidates as of this year... i take it this will mean more competition. I personally think its for the better for alot of reasons...

I hope this helps
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Applications are live, just got the notice.
VP
VP
Send PM
johnnyGMAT2k10 wrote:
Applications are live, just got the notice.

I was just about to come in here and make the announcement...great minds!

I just took a look at the app. This common app really doesn't cut down on the essay writing much at all. Some schools are just tacking the entire essay pool onto the Consortium app. The next two months of my life are going to SUCK!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V30
Send PM
i just took a look at the application and noticed some of the schools significantly changed their essay questions... :?

it's going to be a long winter...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Quote:
I just took a look at the app. This common app really doesn't cut down on the essay writing much at all. Some schools are just tacking the entire essay pool onto the Consortium app. The next two months of my life are going to SUCK!

I agree, I was anticipating the schools having some variation of the "Why our school?" essay. I thought I was ahead of the game as I'm finishing up the core essays, but looking at these prompts, especially USC and Cornell, it looks like I'll have my hands full right up until the R1 deadline.

Sidebar: Did anyone get an invite for NYUs diversity weekend yet? I signed up as soon as the notice came out but havent heard anything, any idea of when we're supposed to hear back? I need to book flights and make sure i can get the days off from work to go.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  118   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts