Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:57 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1342 [25]
Given Kudos: 8
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA Institute (CFA Candiate), Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CA Candiate), Chartered Alternative Investments Analysts Association (CAIA Candidate)
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Research (Investment Banking)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA Institute (CFA Candiate), Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CA Candiate), Chartered Alternative Investments Analysts Association (CAIA Candidate)
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Research (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Although the British were responsible for the early European settlemen [#permalink]
I still feel it's (C). "Were responsible for the early European settlement in both Australia and the United States" to me sounds like the British were responsible for a single "early European settlement" (using settlement as a noun) rather than "to settle".

So what's the OA?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1342 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Re: Although the British were responsible for the early European settlemen [#permalink]
Kudos
Idiomatically settlement "of" is correct. Therefore eliminate B and D.

A. 'is having' incorrect
E. convoluted pronouns and antecedent

C is correct, because both nations has clear antecedents Australia and the United States, and parallel verb structure 'has'
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1250 [3]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools:University of Chicago, Wharton School
Send PM
Kudos
bschool83 wrote:
Although the British were responsible for the early European settlement of both Australia and the United States, Australia is having much closer political and cultural links with Britain than the United States is having.

a) of both Australia and the United States, Australia is having much closer political and cultural links with Britain than the United States is having
b) in both Australia and the United States, they are closer in their political and cultural links in Australia than in the United States
c) of both nations, Australia has much closer political and cultural links to Britain than the United States has
d) in both nations, Australia is politically and culturally linked to Britain in a much closer fashion than the United States
e) of both Australia and the United States, they have much closer political and cultural links to it than the United States has

a) Australia is having ............ is wrong.

b) What is "they" refers to? Unclear and ambiguous

c) "of both nations" refer to Australia and United States
"Australia has" ll "United States has" - correct llism

d) "fashion" is incorrect and also wrong comparison

e) completely wrong and illogical comparision
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
Two things I'm confused about between C and D:
1. What is the difference between "settlement OF both nations" and "settlement IN both nations"? Should this affect our decision when choosing between C and D?
2. In C, what is the difference between "...Australia has much closer political and cultural links to Britain than the United States HAS" vs "...Australia has much closer political and cultural links to Britain than the United States DOES"? When is it ok to use does and when is it ok to use has? (Please see example below)

Example:
I have much closer ties to my mom than my sister DOES.
and
I have had much closer ties to my mom than my sister HAS.

Any help is appreciated!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
Kudos
daagh wrote:
of both Australia and the United States, Australia is having much closer political and cultural links with Britain than the United States is having;--- ‘links with’ seems to be the right idiom. Must be the correct choice.

In both Australia and the United States, they are closer in their political and cultural links in Australia than in the United States – Obviously they refers to the distant ‘The British’; but ‘links in’ seems to be a wrong idiom

of both nations, Australia has much closer political and cultural links to Britain than the United States has – ‘links to’ Britain is awkward; further we have to stretch out to get that both nations refers to Australia and the United States.

in both nations, Australia is politically and culturally linked to Britain in a much closer fashion than the United States – linked to is wrong idiom; further when you say ‘linked to Britain’, you have to say than to the US

of both Australia and the United States, they have much closer political and cultural links to it than the United States has – terrible; wht do ‘they’ and ‘it’ refer to?
I will go with A

linked to is correct idiom in american english
please dont confuse students with vague reasoning
our job is to get reasoning for right answere not test integrity of GMAT ques
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 104
GMAT 1: 610 Q41 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V33 (Online)
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Kudos
Although the British were responsible for the early European settlement of both Australia and the United States, Australia is having much closer political and cultural links with Britain than the United States is having.

A. of both Australia and the United States, Australia is having much closer political and cultural links with Britain than the United States is having
Correctly uses "of" in settlement "Settlement of"
Correctly uses the expression Both X and Y

Incorrectly uses "in having" to state a fact. It is better to use simple present to state a fact.

B. in both Australia and the United States, they are closer in their political and cultural links in Australia than in the United States
Incorrect idiomatic expression "Settlement in"
Who is the "they" referring to?

C. of both nations, Australia has much closer political and cultural links to Britain than the United States has
Uses the correct verb tense and completes the comparison

D. in both nations, Australia is politically and culturally linked to Britain in a much closer fashion than the United States
Incorrect idiomatic expression "Settlement in"

E. of both Australia and the United States, they have much closer political and cultural links to it than the United States has
Who is the "they" referring to?
Who is the "it" referring to?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Send PM
how can we determine in C that, both refers to Aus and the U.S.?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
zeyneptuzun wrote:
Two things I'm confused about between C and D:
1. What is the difference between "settlement OF both nations" and "settlement IN both nations"? Should this affect our decision when choosing between C and D?
2. In C, what is the difference between "...Australia has much closer political and cultural links to Britain than the United States HAS" vs "...Australia has much closer political and cultural links to Britain than the United States DOES"? When is it ok to use does and when is it ok to use has? (Please see example below)

Example:
I have much closer ties to my mom than my sister DOES.
and
I have had much closer ties to my mom than my sister HAS.

Any help is appreciated!

Yes I have the same doubt about DOES and HAS. Anybody can throw some light?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts