Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:41 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2163 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
Re: At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a [#permalink]
saurya_s wrote:
What is wrong with A?
Can somebody plz explain each choice and error in them?
S

including among them is verbose.

including can be yanked out

C is the best choice
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 661 [0]
 Q49  V35
Send PM
crackgmat04 wrote:
At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a presentation on the numerous challenges facing the company, including among them the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the declining sales for the company’s powerful microprocessor chip.
A. including among them the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patentinfringement suit and the declining sales for
B. which includes the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and declining sales of
C. included among these the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patentinfringement suit as well as a decline in sales for
D. among them the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the decline in sales of
E. among these the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit as well as the decline in sales for

will go with B on this!

fitting D back into the sentence:-
"presentation on the numerous challenges facing the company, among them the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the decline in sales of the company’s powerful microprocessor chip."

the portion in bold doesn't sound correct to me - it should be, among them are the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the decline in sales of the company’s powerful microprocessor chip
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 727 [0]
Send PM
Vithal wrote:
crackgmat04 wrote:
At the annual stockholders meeting, investors heard a presentation on the numerous challenges facing the company, including among them the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the declining sales for the company’s powerful microprocessor chip.
A. including among them the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patentinfringement suit and the declining sales for
B. which includes the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and declining sales of
C. included among these the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patentinfringement suit as well as a decline in sales for
D. among them the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the decline in sales of
E. among these the threat from a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit as well as the decline in sales for

will go with B on this!

fitting D back into the sentence:-
"presentation on the numerous challenges facing the company, among them the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the decline in sales of the company’s powerful microprocessor chip."

the portion in bold doesn't sound correct to me - it should be, among them are the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the decline in sales of the company’s powerful microprocessor chip

Then in B it should be 'include' and not 'includes'. Correct me if I am wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 661 [0]
 Q49  V35
Send PM
that's correct...it should be "which include"..hmmm......but then I don't think D is correct either!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [0]
Send PM
'among' is redundant in the prescence of 'including' Both means the same thing. so (A), (C) are out.

'including' is wrong as the sentence meant one threat from a pool of problems the company is facing. 'include' would mean one threat seperate from a pool of other threats. so (B) is out.

In (D), use of plural object pronoun 'them' should point to 'challenges'.
In (E), use of 'these' is inappropriate, as it's the plural form of 'this'.
(E) also uses 'for the company's chip' which is inappropriate, while (D) uses 'of' corectly.
D it is.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Send PM
(D) for me.

(B) depicts a bad parallel construct (...which includes the threat of <this> and declining sales of <that>)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 862 [0]
Send PM
D might be the choice even it sounds like an incomplete sentence to me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2163 [0]
Send PM
DLMD wrote:
D might be the choice even it sounds like an incomplete sentence to me.

I also feel the same _ D is not complete.Anyone to calrify this.
S
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 198 [0]
Send PM
"D"

choice is bet B and D....as "sales of" is the right idiom. Now in B, usage of which makes the sentence as if company includes threat, also it shoud say "include". Altho I do think that "D" should be like this "among them were the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement ....". May be it is a typo.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
B creates confusion, with the use of which maybe if there was a comma after presentation the phrase after it would stand as a descriptor, but as it is not there the which is incoherent and could reffer to the presentation or the company
D is also weird because like Banerjee mentioned
it should probably be
among them were the threat of a rival’s multibillion-dollar patent-infringement suit and the decline in sales of

probably D but all the answer choices have blatant GMAT type errors that we are supposed to look for
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Send PM
i also go with A

some where i read that "sales for" is an idiomatic expression.

let me check that. i'll confirm it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Send PM
i also go with A

some where i remember reading that "sales for" is an idiomatic expression.

let me check . i'll confirm it.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts