Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:32 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Stern '13
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [3]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Status:GMAT date booked, Drafting essays, University Shortlisting
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Fuqua '14
GMAT Date: 09-09-2011
WE:Other (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [2]
Send PM
Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
prabshan wrote:
@cwhs: Thanks for offering to support. Any tips/techniques please do share.
Could you please share your background information? Schools applied? what made you choose Stern?

-Cheers

You're welcome prabshan. I have a background in IT consulting, and though I'm originally from Europe I've been living in the States for a long time. I had a decent GMAT score (see to the left), strong extra-curriculars, and apparently good essays. I went to an average school for undergrad... I was admitted to Stern and Tuck in the end, and withdrew from Booth's waitlist.

As to why I chose Stern... I'm looking to get into finance after graduation, and Stern is just one of those schools that absolutely shine at finance. They are just a subway ride away from the Wall Street so they have extremely good connections with the people that matter. Also, I found them to be true to their down-to-earth down-to-business motto. People here are great communicators and they are all very outgoing. They also happen to be very accomplished, which helps with being down-to-business. Tuck is also great with being down-to-earth but it's location doesn't even compare to Stern's if you want to be in the middle of the action.

Tips/techniques... Remember that the eyes that will be reviewing your application are very highly trained. Stern's admissions department is full of very dedicated individuals who read thousands of applications each year. Many of the schools use current students to do the first scan-through, but that's not the case with Stern. So an application that makes it to an interview in one school may fail at Stern because they notice something with your app that only a trained eye can catch (an inconsistency between the dates on your resume and the employment dates on your application, for example). Read and re-read the application. Then have someone else read and re-read it. My girlfriend caught so many mistakes of mine that I would never catch because I looked at the same document maybe 20 times and small mistakes become invisible after a certain point.

Also the creative essay is very important. Keep it original but short. Tell a story of who you are, and not what you think they want to hear. Once you write it, ask it to yourselves "could someone else have written this?" If the answer is yes, you probably didn't catch the most important aspect of the essay... It has to be unique to YOU.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks again cwhs. Am eagerly waiting for the essay topics to be announced.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
I want to apply, but they have been very slow at updating info on their webpage.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
LatinAmericanMBA wrote:
I want to apply, but they have been very slow at updating info on their webpage.

They won't make their application available until late summer. So it might be another month or two...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
The essay topics and deadlines are out.

Application Deadlines for the Full-time MBA program

The online application, as well as all application instructions, will be posted by late August.

Online applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. U.S. Eastern Time on the day of the deadline. Any mailed application material must be postmarked by the deadline date.

1st Deadline

2nd Deadline

3rd Deadline
Application Due:

November 15, 2011

January 15, 2012

March 15, 2012
Initial Notification* By:

February 15, 2012

April 1, 2012

June 1, 2012
Benefit:

Priority consideration
for merit scholarships
and/or off-site
interviews

Provides best
opportunity to attend
Stern's admitted
student event
(Pre-View) in April

*You will receive one of three initial notifications: invitation to interview, waitlist offer or denial of admission.

International applicants:

You are encouraged to apply by the November 15 deadline to facilitate visa arrangements and to have priority consideration for off-site interviews, if desired. You may also apply for the January 15 and March 15 deadlines.

JD/MBA and MBA/MFA deadlines:

The application deadline for the dual JD/MBA is February 1.
The application deadlines for the dual MBA/MFA are on or before January 15 (Stern) and December 1 (Tisch).

Incomplete Applications:

If your application is not complete (for example, missing test scores, illegible scanned transcript, no essays or other items) you will be informed via email. If you do not provide a completed application by the deadline, we cannot guarantee notification by the initial notification date.

Please note the following details when completing the Essays section of the Fall 2012 online application.

The following essay questions give you the opportunity to more fully present yourself to the Admissions Committee and to provide insight into your experiences, goals and thought processes. Your essays should be written entirely by you. An offer of admission will be revoked if you did not write your essays. Please note the following:

Essays 1, 2 and 4 must be typed and submitted using the standard U.S. 8 1/2” x 11” format, double-spaced, in 12-point font.
Please adhere to the essay word limits provided for each question.
Word limits apply to the total question. For example, your response to Essay 1 should answer part (a), part (b) and part (c) with a total maximum of 750 words.
Label the top of each essay with the following: Name, Date of Birth (month, day, year), Essay Number and Page Number (e.g.: Joe Applicant, January 1, 1983, Essay 1, Page 1)

Essay 1. Professional Aspirations
(750 word maximum, double-spaced, 12-point font)

Think about the decisions you have made in your life. Answer the following:

(a) What choices have you made that led you to your current position?
(b) Why pursue an MBA at this point in your life?
(c) What is your career goal upon graduation from NYU Stern? What is your long-term career goal?

tipAdmissions Tips:

Listen to our podcast: Essays.
Proofread your essays carefully.
Make sure you have fully answered the essay questions.
Be genuine in your essays - tell us about the real you.
Follow the essay instructions, including word limits and font size.

Essay 2. Your Stern Experience
(500 word maximum, double-spaced, 12-point font)

We take great care to shape the Stern community with individuals who possess both intellectual and interpersonal strengths. We seek individuals who are highly intelligent, collaborative and committed to flourishing as Stern leaders. Please answer the following questions:

(a) What is your personal experience with the Stern community? Tell us what actions you have taken to learn about us.
(b) Describe what most excites you about Stern from both an academic and extracurricular perspective.
(c) How do you anticipate making your mark on the Stern community? Be specific about the roles you will take on and the impact you hope to achieve.

tipAdmissions Tip:

To see if Stern is a fit for you, come visit us in New York City or at one of our events around the world.

Essay 3. Personal Expression
Please describe yourself to your MBA classmates. You may use almost any method to convey your message (e.g. words, illustrations). Feel free to be creative.

If you submit a non-written piece for Essay 3 (i.e., artwork or multimedia) or if you submit Essay 3 via mail, please upload a brief description of your submission with your online application.

Please note the following guidelines and restrictions:

Your submission becomes the property of NYU Stern and cannot be returned for any reason.

If you submit a written essay, it should be 500 words maximum, double-spaced, 12-point font. If you submit a video or audio file, it should be five minutes maximum.

If you prepare a multimedia submission, you may mail a CD, DVD or USB flash drive to the Admissions Office. These are the only acceptable methods of submission. Please do not submit an internet link to any websites or to a video hosting service such as YouTube.

The Admissions Committee reserves the right to request an alternate Essay 3 if we are unable to view your submission

Do not submit anything perishable (e.g. food) or any item that has been worn (e.g. clothing).

Mailed materials must be postmarked by the deadline date. To submit Essay 3 by mail, please follow the mail and labeling instructions.

Essay 3 packages are subject to size restrictions. Essays that exceed the stated size restrictions will not be accepted for review by the Admissions Committee. Please see the table below for the maximum package size guidelines:

Packaging Type

Dimensions: Metric

Dimensions: Non-metric

Box

36cm x 31cm x 8cm

14” x 12” x 3”

Cylindrical tube

8cm x 91cm

3” x 36”

Triangular tube

97cm x 16cm x 16 cm x 16 cm

38” x 6” x 6” x 6”

tipAdmissions Tip:

Listen to Isser Gallogly, Executive Director of MBA Admissions, discuss Essay 3 on Public Radio's "Marketplace". (Please note that we have updated Essay 3 size restrictions and accept multimedia submissions on CDs, DVDs and USB flash drives.)

Essay 4. Additional Information (optional)
Please provide any additional information that you would like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee. This may include current or past gaps in employment, further explanation of your undergraduate record or self-reported academic transcript(s), plans to retake the GMAT, GRE and/or TOEFL or any other relevant information.
If you are unable to submit a recommendation from your current supervisor, you must explain your reason in Essay 4.

If you are a re-applicant from last year, please explain how your candidacy has improved since your last application.

If you are applying to a dual degree program, please explain your decision to pursue a dual degree.

Uploading Formats
You may upload documents into the online application in the following formats: word, excel, PDF, .txt, .rft and .wpd.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re-app in for round one.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
In for Rd1 Consortium, currently working on essays
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.74
WE:Accounting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
In for round1! I went to one of their events yesterday and I have to say their alumni blew me away. Their admissions are also the most down to earth i've seen. This is the second school im going to an event for though, so not a lot to compare to. Still... very excited about applying!!
Still deciding about applying through consortium or regular.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
In for R1! Just got invited to an admission event in Toronto just before the MBA fair in September. Looking forward to meet any Toronto applicants there.

Anyone notice the new Stern website digs? It deserves a GC kudos at the very least.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:NYU Stern - Class of 2013
 Q48  V44
WE 1: Nonprofit / international development (4 years)
WE 2: Consulting internship - MBB
Send PM
Hi guys. Also a current student (just starting - we're half way through pre-term) and happy to answer questions as best I can when I can find time.

I have to say that the school is exceeding my expectations so far, and I think it gets under-represented on these forums given its many strengths. Will try to fish out a few links from preterm to help give a flavour of how it's been....
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:NYU Stern - Class of 2013
 Q48  V44
WE 1: Nonprofit / international development (4 years)
WE 2: Consulting internship - MBB
Send PM
Kudos
This is the microsite for our 2-week pre-term, called Launch 2011:
https://launch.stern.nyu.edu/

There's a schedule on there for the two weeks and bios of the various speakers. It's been really interesting and a lot of fun - with a surprisingly large focus on social impact and innovation. My favourite speaker was probably Cory Booker, Mayor of Newark, New Jersey, who was very inspiring. The social events have also been great - all the usual happy hours plus a very grand dinner on Ellis Island (Stern basically arranged exclusive access to the whole place for an evening), via a close-up of the Statue of Liberty. I think we're going to the US Open tennis next week, among other things.

Here's a brief summary video from Day 1 of Launch:

Day 2 is there as well and I'm sure more will be cropping up on that channel over the coming days. There have been a lot of video cameras around the place so I know they have a lot of footage to choose from!

Not connected to Launch, but I also came across this recently:
https://sternalumni.nyu.edu/s/1068/Group ... &pgid=2371

It's a link to an alumni event held in London, England earlier this summer. There are some good videos on there, including a very interesting (and surprisingly funny) speech by Gordon Brown, former Chancellor and Prime Minister of the UK and now NYU's inaugural 'distinguished global leader in residence'.

Hope some of this is interesting for those considering applying to Stern!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Stern '13 (M)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Just wanted to post the link as a shortcut for anyone who's starting their application now:
https://app.applyyourself.com/?id=nyu-stern
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Finance
Schools: Cambridge
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.9
WE:Accounting (Education)
Send PM
Great Info.... I am going to apply before January... I havent taken the GMAT yet. But I completed my undergraduate with an FGPA of 3.9
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Is it true that all applicants have to submit a financial statement for proof of coverage up to 80,000$ ? I came across this on last year's thread but am not sure if it applies to this year as well!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Hey all! I have a question. Is anyone planning to attend the Discover Stern Diversity Weekend in October? I'm filling out the application now. Did anyone use the box for additional information? I want to submit a complete application but I don't know what other information they could want that's not in the app or on my resume. Does anyone have any ideas?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.74
WE:Accounting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Hey all! I have a question. Is anyone planning to attend the Discover Stern Diversity Weekend in October? I'm filling out the application now. Did anyone use the box for additional information? I want to submit a complete application but I don't know what other information they could want that's not in the app or on my resume. Does anyone have any ideas?

I did! (apply to it)... didnt see this till now though, sorry. Have you heard back from them yet? I applied in august i know the deadline was the 8th so im assuming they would be sending out notices soon...
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  36   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts