Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:05 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [2]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 520 Q40 V21
GPA: 2.95
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: restore's journey from "clueless" to 700+ [#permalink]
I've logged over 25+ hours of studying since the beginning. My understanding of basic quantitative concepts has improved. The more difficult one's such as Combinations/Permutations/Counting Methods, Absolute Values, and Inequalities will require alot more work.

I ordered the entire MGMAT set of 8 books, which will be arriving tomorrow.

My strategy for attacking this over the quantitative over the next several weeks will be as follows:

1. Review each of the 5 MGMAT books. Finish any problems at the end of every section to help reiterate the concepts.

2. Go back to the OG12, finish the rest of the PS and DS questions, while utilizing the MGMAT books as an "open-book" reference guide.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Finishing up the 1st MGMAT guide: Number Properties.

I am having great difficulty with a few of the In-Action problems, especially the ones from the "Advanced" chapters. I feel that I am understanding concepts as I read through them, but once I get to the problems, I am unsure how to apply them.

A bit discouraging, as I had hoped to have been further along after reading the guide. I got most of the problems wrong.

I will re-read the entire guide and take handwritten notes on key concepts, then review all the questions I incorrectly completed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
restore wrote:
Having alot of difficulty with complex absolute value problems.

Can't understand how to find the # of solutions for the following equation:

\(|x+3| - |4-x| = |8+x|\)

Square both the sides, and then simplify!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Finished the 1st MGMAT guide: Number properties.

Read it over and took notes on key concepts. I had a error rate on all the practice problems (including the OG12 ones) of roughly 50%. I understood where I went wrong with certain problems, but I believe I need more practice with the application of concepts.

Began the 2nd MGMAT guide: Fractions, Decimals % Percents a few days ago.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:IE Business School, Manchester Business School, HEC Paris, Rotterdam School of Management, Babson College
GPA: 2.5
Send PM
When are you giving the test ? For permutations and combinations I don't think the MGMAt is the beat book and I say this with experience. I have used the MGMAT and am desperate searching for a combin/ permutation book.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager
Send PM
scbguy wrote:
When are you giving the test ? For permutations and combinations I don't think the MGMAt is the beat book and I say this with experience. I have used the MGMAT and am desperate searching for a combin/ permutation book.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit

I am planning to take it in either December or January 2012.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Other, International Business
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V41
Send PM
Restore, someone suggested to me that I leave the Advanced sections until after I'm done with all the books which is how I'm planning to approach my studying. I've been working on the "math skills refresher" section of the Kaplan book and hope to finish that before attacking the MGMAT books.

I'm brutal at Quant and am looking at taking the test in the same time frame as you!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
megany wrote:
Restore, someone suggested to me that I leave the Advanced sections until after I'm done with all the books which is how I'm planning to approach my studying. I've been working on the "math skills refresher" section of the Kaplan book and hope to finish that before attacking the MGMAT books.

I'm brutal at Quant and am looking at taking the test in the same time frame as you!

That might be a pretty good idea. I'm having a lot of difficulty on the advanced sections, especially Data Sufficiency.

In terms of my progress, I have completed the 2nd MGMAT: Fractions/Decimals/Percents book. I found the Problem Solving questions to be somewhat manageable. I still have a high error rate overall, but I did not do as poorly as I expected.

In terms of the DS, I made many careless mistakes and also failed to understand a few questions. I do, however, believe I am improving in my "logical reasoning" capabilities. Slowly, but surely, I will get there some day :).

I'm moving on now to the 3rd MGMAT book. This may be my biggest weakness of the entire quantitative section, which in itself, is already a struggle.
Manager
Manager
Status:I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools: Johnson '15
Send PM
restore wrote:
megany wrote:

That might be a pretty good idea. I'm having a lot of difficulty on the advanced sections, especially Data Sufficiency.

In terms of my progress, I have completed the 2nd MGMAT: Fractions/Decimals/Percents book. I found the Problem Solving questions to be somewhat manageable. I still have a high error rate overall, but I did not do as poorly as I expected.

In terms of the DS, I made many careless mistakes and also failed to understand a few questions. I do, however, believe I am improving in my "logical reasoning" capabilities. Slowly, but surely, I will get there some day :).

I'm moving on now to the 3rd MGMAT book. This may be my biggest weakness of the entire quantitative section, which in itself, is already a struggle.

Hey Restore....good progress...gud luck....i am a non-native and want to improve my Verbal score..i am keen to know how you are planning your preparation for Verbal section
Manager
Manager
Send PM
harshavmrg wrote:
restore wrote:
megany wrote:

Hey Restore....good progress...gud luck....i am a non-native and want to improve my Verbal score..i am keen to know how you are planning your preparation for Verbal section

I am a native speaker, so verbal will not be as difficult for me as quantitative. Even then, no preparation is a plan for failure.

I have been reading articles on the website of "The Economist" every single day, specifically the 'Science & Technology' section. I read each article paying close attention to all the general and specific concepts. I also strive to improve how quickly I can finish a passage while retaining as much information as possible.

I am also a part of several forums (for my hobbies/leisure) and have been making an effort to improve my business writing skills in all my posts. I believe that improving your score in the 'Sentence Correction' section requires you to incorporate a higher level of grammar and spelling skills in all facets of your life.

Once I complete the five quantitative MGMAT books, I will move on to the remaining three verbal ones.

As of now, that is the plan for the next several months. I wish you the best of luck! It looks like we both have our own separate battles to fight!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Life has been very busy the past several days, so I have not been able to study consistently. I've been managing roughly an hour or two at work, and only a few during my off-days. Obligations can really wear a person down! But I am committed to achieving a score of 700+ on the GMAT.

In terms of progress, I am about halfway through the 3rd MGMAT book. My understanding of inequalities, VIC's, and other algebraic equations has improved. I still make careless mistakes, but I have been catching more of them.

A bit of good news with my career is that my director let me know that my schedule would shift to a standard 8AM-5PM early next year. This will allow me to attend night classes for my MBA. I have been looking at a few business schools, specifically in New York City. My "reach" school will be Columbia University.

Anyways, back to studying!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Update (quick vent of frustration):

Work has been real hectic lately. Because of Hurricane Irene, I was put on-call for contingency purposes for the entire duration of Saturday and Sunday. Needless to say, I worked from 5AM Sunday through 7AM Monday morning. The total hours for the week came to 84.

Now, my motivation in studying for the GMAT has declined. The increase in work frequency coupled with lack of sleep has kept me disinterested in studying. I've still been able to squeeze in an hour or two each day.

Anyways, about a week or so ago, I decided to alternate studying for the Verbal and Quantitative sections. I began the Critical Reasoning MGMAT book and I have just the OG12 questions to finish it off. I am also nearing the end of the Equations, Inequalities, and VIC's MGMAT book.

The CR section has proven to be much more difficult than anticipated. I am a native speaker, yet I had an error rate of close to 40% in the end-of-chapter questions. Clearly, I overestimated the difficulty of the verbal section.

Looking back, it has been about a month of studying and I do feel that I have progressed, but not enough. I still have four more MGMAT books to go through and the OG Quant/Verbal books to go through before I take my first practice CAT.

Never have I devoted so much time to prepare for anything in my life. I have a week-long vacation planned in October, but I am going to cancel all my plans just so I can sit and study the entire duration.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I finished the 3rd MGMAT book. The advanced problems in the OG12 and the book itself were difficult. I had an error percentage of over 60%. I plan to review all the quantitative notes that I have taken over the past month.

Additionally, I will be beginning the 7th MGMAT book: Reading Comprehension. I will do that with the OG12 questions for the Critical Reasoning book over the next week or so.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Finished the MGMAT Critical Reasoning book. I seemed to have difficulty with the first set of OG "Find the Assumption questions. The rest of the categories went by, to my surprise, relatively smoothly. I made a few careless errors here and there, but overall I felt good with the material.

I also finished the MGMAT Reading Comprehension book. I just have to find time to start and finish the OG questions for it.

I'm also finishing up the MGMAT Geometry book. Much of the information was already known, but it was a good refresher.

The last two, and probably the most important ones from the MGMAT series are the Word Translation and Sentence Correction books. I decided to save the best ones for last ;). Overall the studying is coming at a rather slow pace, but I am progressing. Work has been absolutely hectic, but I am able to squeeze an hour or two each day.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I finished up the Geometry OG12 questions, so I can officially close that book. It was easy overall, but the advanced Data Sufficiency questions were difficult. I had a high error rate with them overall.

I am putting a hold on the RC OG12 questions. I have to utilize my little free time with to the fullest. I have already begun the Sentence Correction MGMAT book, and I can see that it will be very beneficial.

After this, the last MGMAT book is Word Translations. Once that is done, I plan to take one CAT test and see where my weaknesses lie.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I'm still here... Still studying, sporadically.

I'm working through the final two MGMAT books (Word Translations and Sentence Correction). There is a ton of material, so I plan to take my time in completing them.

I'll be going on a much needed one-week vacation in a few days. After that, my work schedule gets normalized (no more 60-84 hour rotational day/night shifts). I will be able to focus strictly on my GMAT studying on a consistent basis.

I'm going to get through this. My goal is still the same, enrollment in a GOOD B-School by Fall 2012!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Good luck with your goal. Have you taken any practice tests yet?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts