Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:53 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [23]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:ESADE, IE
 Q49  V32
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: 720 + dare = 760 [#permalink]
Great job man. Good luck with apps.

I am surprised with 720 Q51 V35. I would expect 690-700 with this Q-V split, anyways I don't quite understand how GMAT decides the final big number. I have been lingering in this range, hope I can get V to 40 - then 750 is almost certain.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
abhicoolmax wrote:
Great job man. Good luck with apps.

I am surprised with 720 Q51 V35.

Thanks abhi, abhishek I guess?

Q51 gives you a huge score jump (at least 20 marks). In GMAT prep 1 I got 770 (Q51, V41), and in GMAT prep 2 I got 750 (Q50, V41).

On final gmat day (1st attempt), I got Q51 and 98 percentile, my percentile may indicate there may be a chance of more score increase with same Q score.

Also, sometimes in GMAT prep I would get Q51, with 6 incorrect, and at other times I would get Q50 with 6 incorrect. The score may have to do with the hardness level of the question one answers correct/incorrect.

Your practice scores look good and consistent. Good luck with your gmat.

Also your affiliations mention IIT Bombay. Are you a graduate from IITB? which year? I am from 2009 class.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Cool. Let's see how this goes - hopefully I won't have to think about GMAT again after 2 weeks.

btw, yeps, btech '05. Good guess on name :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
GRE 1: Q780 V540
Send PM
Kudos
Bombastic, mayansd... That was a well written debrief...

CONGRATS and All the best for your apps..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Concentration: operations
Schools:NUS
Send PM
abhicoolmax wrote:
Cool. Let's see how this goes - hopefully I won't have to think about GMAT again after 2 weeks.

I m struggling badly

Originally posted by avi84 on 30 Aug 2011, 22:27.
Last edited by avi84 on 18 Apr 2014, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
sarangadhar wrote:
Bombastic, mayansd... That was a well written debrief...

CONGRATS and All the best for your apps..

thanks sarang :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
avinash84 wrote:
I m preparing hard for the past two months, but scores are not improving. Specially the verbal part.
For me the devil part is the :twisted: CR and i did badly in the MGMAT last test(4/14 incorrect)
I did the Manhattan CR guide and is practicing hard on Verbal part.Can u please tell me the stuffs for a good rigorous practice in the last days.
Q 48 :arrow: Q 50
V 32 :arrow: V 38
Target 730
My inspiration my mirror

Hey avinash,

it is good that you are analyzing your progress and weak points. Generally when I reach a plateau, I take a break for 3-4 days. I rethink my study plan, study few hard problems for a longer time, and dig deep on how and where exactly I am lacking. As for CR, there are different strategies that work for different types of CR problems, and these strategies when practiced with, will work well for you.

Manhattan CR is good for strengthen/weaken/assumption/main point question types. These are the most common questions upto 700 level. For further strategies you may refer to powerscore CR bible. As you have 2 weeks left, I would suggest revise Manhattan CR and revise the problems that you did wrong, as after some time the CR question types and the types of wrong answers will start looking familiar to you.

you will find more good advice on this forum! good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
thanks a ton

Originally posted by avi84 on 31 Aug 2011, 02:21.
Last edited by avi84 on 18 Apr 2014, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Send PM
avinash84 wrote:
abhicoolmax wrote:

I m struggling badly with my verbal scores.....
01/08/11 GMATPrep 49 31 670
15/08/11 Manhattan GMAT F 46 33 650
Veritas 47 34 650
Princeton Review F 50 28 640
30/08/11 Manhattan GMAT 2 48 32 650 I wrote the two essays and was exhausted at the end,
D Day 15 th sept
I m preparing hard for the past two months, but scores are not improving. Specially the verbal part.
For me the devil part is the :twisted: CR and i did badly in the MGMAT last test(4/14 incorrect)
I did the Manhattan CR guide and is practicing hard on Verbal part.Can u please tell me the stuffs for a good rigorous practice in the last days.
Target 730
My inspiration my mirror

Since you are in last 2 weeks of your prep, I would not tell you go re-read things from scratch, etc - as that would implicitly mean as if I am recommending you to postpone. As I can understand that sometimes postponing is just NOT an option. And I am not at all recommending to do so, unless you have time in hand.

Anyways, let's get to the meat of my recommendation. Since you are V32, there is something that you can actually do to expect some improvement - how much it is up to you.

SC: Modulate your SC strategy such that you improve your accuracy quickly. SC is something you can get ALL right - trust me - ALL right in relatively less time. First thing first, you MUST understand what the author means by the sentence - is it a fact? is it a contrast? is it a prediction? is it a comparison? is it a proposal? is it a claim? is it just a laundry list? This is the MOST IMP aspect of SC - expect to spend 30-50% of the time that you spend attacking SC understanding the meaning. Secondly, spot errors in the original sentence (~20-40% of the time). Lastly, spend last 10-30% of the time in eliminating ans choices. Sole SC accuracy will give you a decent boost in your score.

CR: Since this is the MOST troubling part for you, I would recommend try to do these 3 things early-on before looking at the choices in chronological order: (1) Spot conclusion after reading the Stimulus and Stem (within 30s-1min). (2) Spend next 10-30 sec thinking about assumptions made in the argument and pre-thinking the answer. (3) Last 20-40 secs analyse the ans choices.

RC: It is very hard to improve in 2 weeks. At this point, I would say try to finish reading the passage in < 2-3 mins for short ones and < 3-4 mins for long ones, while looking for the ONE thing that author would like you take from the passage. Get genuinely interested in the passage - love it or hate it - get emotionally attached. Try to make notes - get into the attacking mood.

I think if you could do most of the above for next 1 week, by the end of the week, you should see some improvement. Good luck :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Send PM
abhicoolmax wrote:
avinash84 wrote:
abhicoolmax wrote:

I m struggling badly with my verbal scores.....
01/08/11 GMATPrep 49 31 670
15/08/11 Manhattan GMAT F 46 33 650
Veritas 47 34 650
Princeton Review F 50 28 640
30/08/11 Manhattan GMAT 2 48 32 650 I wrote the two essays and was exhausted at the end,
D Day 15 th sept
Target 730
My inspiration my mirror

Since you are in last 2 weeks of your prep, I would not tell you go re-read things from scratch, etc - as that would implicitly mean as if I am recommending you to postpone. As I can understand that sometimes postponing is just NOT an option. And I am not at all recommending to do so, unless you have time in hand.

Anyways, let's get to the meat of my recommendation. Since you are V32, there is something that you can actually do to expect some improvement - how much it is up to you.

SC: Modulate your SC strategy such that you improve your accuracy quickly. SC is something you can get ALL right - trust me - ALL right in relatively less time. First thing first, you MUST understand what the author means by the sentence - is it a fact? is it a contrast? is it a prediction? is it a comparison? is it a proposal? is it a claim? is it just a laundry list? This is the MOST IMP aspect of SC - expect to spend 30-50% of the time that you spend attacking SC understanding the meaning. Secondly, spot errors in the original sentence (~20-40% of the time). Lastly, spend last 10-30% of the time in eliminating ans choices. Sole SC accuracy will give you a decent boost in your score.

CR: Since this is the MOST troubling part for you, I would recommend try to do these 3 things early-on before looking at the choices in chronological order: (1) Spot conclusion after reading the Stimulus and Stem (within 30s-1min). (2) Spend next 10-30 sec thinking about assumptions made in the argument and pre-thinking the answer. (3) Last 20-40 secs analyse the ans choices.

RC: It is very hard to improve in 2 weeks. At this point, I would say try to finish reading the passage in < 2-3 mins for short ones and < 3-4 mins for long ones, while looking for the ONE thing that author would like you take from the passage. Get genuinely interested in the passage - love it or hate it - get emotionally attached. Try to make notes - get into the attacking mood.

I think if you could do most of the above for next 1 week, by the end of the week, you should see some improvement. Good luck :)

Thanks abhi....The SC part really works for me as I am doing good in that section.The spirit to solve the RC problem is really interesting and actually I enjoy doing the RC questions.In the last mgmat test CR really spoiled my score. But i am still very confident that I will reconcile in two weeks.Thanks for ur support and good luck for ur gmat.
lets celebrate the study...cheers
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
Nice subject line dude and congrats for the effort you put even after getting a 720 :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2216 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Congrats. You prove that who dares wins. I juggle everyday with the thoughts of retaking the GMAT even after having a 710 and posts like these certainly do help bring in motivation. Any tips for me, as to how to raise Quant from 48 to 50 and verbal from 40 to 44? (let me add that I have studied almost all GMAT books, took all tests and done all GMAT club tests),
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Good job buddy.. Inspiring.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
bonkers13 wrote:
Good job buddy.. Inspiring.

thanks bonkers and yogesh.

gmatpapa wrote:
Congrats. You prove that who dares wins. I juggle everyday with the thoughts of retaking the GMAT even after having a 710 and posts like these certainly do help bring in motivation. Any tips for me, as to how to raise Quant from 48 to 50 and verbal from 40 to 44? (let me add that I have studied almost all GMAT books, took all tests and done all GMAT club tests),

hey gmatpapa,

thanks for your wishes. i went through your gmat journey, which is inspiring. You and I have the same choice for books, powerscore CR for CR and manhattan SC for SC. And you have also analyzed whether to retake GMAT depending on your target schools and scholarship, which I think is sensible. In fact pushing from 620 to 710 seems more arduous than my 40 point increase. So congratulations! If you think you have time before b school applications and that time can be best devoted to GMAT preparation (instead of adding something to your profile, such as community activities etc.) then you can go for a retake. Though an improvement from 620 to 710 will impress anyone and 700+ is a good score to apply with.

in case you go for a retake, in quant you can improve with practice, as you are already at Q48. Q50 or Q51 should be easily achievable, and give you a good score jump. In verbal you can focus on harder problems. eg., in CR improving your strategies for less common question types, in SC focusing on intended meaning, punctuations etc. for differences in answer choices. Other common errors will come easy to you with practice. Good luck!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Hi Mayansd,

I have 'Doing Grammar'. However whenever I scan it, it looks chock full of sentence diagramming. Even Manhattan SC seems to give lot of rules, of which OG uses only a few. I find it difficult to convince myself that the time is better spend on reading 'Doing Grammar' than practising SC problems. Can you eloborate on how you studied 'Doing Grammar' and how it helped you in addition to Manhattan SC.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Send PM
AbhiJ wrote:
Hi Mayansd,

I have 'Doing Grammar'. However whenever I scan it, it looks chock full of sentence diagramming. Even Manhattan SC seems to give lot of rules, of which OG uses only a few. I find it difficult to convince myself that the time is better spend on reading 'Doing Grammar' than practising SC problems. Can you eloborate on how you studied 'Doing Grammar' and how it helped you in addition to Manhattan SC.

Thanks

Hello AbhiJ, (abhijeet?)

As I mentioned, I studied three books for improving my grammar. And after I started solving problems, I kept on coming back to one book, and that was Doing Grammar. Doing grammar presents grammar in a very simple way, and finding grammar simple built my confidence. It beautifully explains how different parts combine to form a sentence, and how they can be recombined and still form a sensible sentence. I did not solve all the practice problems at the end of every chapter, but solved a few to check my understanding.

manhattan SC is a great book. Also OG and GMAT verbal handbook uses many of the rules mentioned in this book. GMAT prep courses like manhattan derive their strategies/theory from OG itself (all versions), and in fact from any material published by GMAC, so you can feel assured that these books are meant for GMAT only.

You have two great books in your arsenal, but you will realize their power once you start using them in solving problems. Having said that, different people have different choices. These two books helped me a lot in my preparations, and hence I am a fan of them.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
mayansd wrote:
AbhiJ wrote:
Hi Mayansd,

Thanks

Hello AbhiJ, (abhijeet?)

As I mentioned, I studied three books for improving my grammar. And after I started solving problems, I kept on coming back to one book, and that was Doing Grammar. Doing grammar presents grammar in a very simple way, and finding grammar simple built my confidence. It beautifully explains how different parts combine to form a sentence, and how they can be recombined and still form a sensible sentence. I did not solve all the practice problems at the end of every chapter, but solved a few to check my understanding.

manhattan SC is a great book. Also OG and GMAT verbal handbook uses many of the rules mentioned in this book. GMAT prep courses like manhattan derive their strategies/theory from OG itself (all versions), and in fact from any material published by GMAC, so you can feel assured that these books are meant for GMAT only.

You have two great books in your arsenal, but you will realize their power once you start using them in solving problems. Having said that, different people have different choices. These two books helped me a lot in my preparations, and hence I am a fan of them.

Thanks, that helps a lot.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts