Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:23 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 397 [25]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [10]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Student Advisor: One of our exchange students faced multiple arguments [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Great explanation fluke!

This is a classic type of assumption. Anytime you are presented with an observation about two events that CORRELATE, and the conclusion makes a CAUSAL claim, it's a very good idea to check that there were not alternate models of causation that could have explained the observed phenomenon.

Remember that you're looking for a *necessary* assumption for these arguments--without that assumption being true, the argument falls apart. As gmatpassion said above, if you negate choice B the conclusion will no longer hold. That means the positive version of the answer choice must have been necessary to uphold the conclusion. In this case, the argument makes a causal claim (family problems CAUSE academic difficulties) based on the observed correlation between one student's drop in GPA and that student's family difficulties. This observation is of two events that happened at the SAME TIME. CAUSATION, however, implies that one happened BEFORE the other and LED to the other. One possible explanation of the correlation is the conclusion mentioned, but it's just as possible that the reverse model of causation was true (or that some third unknown factor caused both...for example, what if the student developed a psychological disorder that affected both relationships and GPA?)

I don't recommend defaulting to negation for all five choices because it can take some time, but if you're down to 2 answers choices and are having a hard time figuring out which is necessary and which is merely "helpful," negation is a very powerful tool. Here, if we say that the GPA decline WAS the reason for the arguments, then it's not possible for the arguments to have been the reason for the GPA decline (as the original conclusion posits). This must be our answer.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3155 [0]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Student Advisor: One of our exchange students faced multiple arguments [#permalink]
Classic case of causal reasoning.

Stated relation is not reversed that weakens the argument.
So that possibility is highlighted and avoided by option (B).

Hence , (B).
Manager
Manager
Status:Birds fly because they have wings, not because they have sky.
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.65
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Negating B reverses the cause and effect and subsequently the argument falls flat. Answer should B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
parker wrote:
Great explanation fluke!

This is a classic type of assumption. Anytime you are presented with an observation about two events that CORRELATE, and the conclusion makes a CAUSAL claim, it's a very good idea to check that there were not alternate models of causation that could have explained the observed phenomenon.

Remember that you're looking for a *necessary* assumption for these arguments--without that assumption being true, the argument falls apart. As gmatpassion said above, if you negate choice B the conclusion will no longer hold. That means the positive version of the answer choice must have been necessary to uphold the conclusion. In this case, the argument makes a causal claim (family problems CAUSE academic difficulties) based on the observed correlation between one student's drop in GPA and that student's family difficulties. This observation is of two events that happened at the SAME TIME. CAUSATION, however, implies that one happened BEFORE the other and LED to the other. One possible explanation of the correlation is the conclusion mentioned, but it's just as possible that the reverse model of causation was true (or that some third unknown factor caused both...for example, what if the student developed a psychological disorder that affected both relationships and GPA?)

I don't recommend defaulting to negation for all five choices because it can take some time, but if you're down to 2 answers choices and are having a hard time figuring out which is necessary and which is merely "helpful," negation is a very powerful tool. Here, if we say that the GPA decline WAS the reason for the arguments, then it's not possible for the arguments to have been the reason for the GPA decline (as the original conclusion posits). This must be our answer.

Hi,
thanks for your helpful sulotion, but I am wondering why (C) is not correct. In this case, one of my brainstormed assuption is that "GPA can be the indicator for acedemic ability, which is the intellectual ability (is it right?)". So, when it comes to (C), it meets the assumption that GPA is the accurate measure of intellectual ability. Here, we can use the negation method. Then (C)'s negation is GPA is not the accurate measure of intellectual ability, and that clearly hurts the conclusion based on the above assumption. If GPA cannot reflect the academic ability, how can they say the lower GPA means academic difficulties? -----even stronger than (B)

Is there anything i misunderstood? Thanks for more explanation:)
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: NA
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Jez0612 wrote:
parker wrote:
Great explanation fluke!

Hi,
thanks for your helpful sulotion, but I am wondering why (C) is not correct. In this case, one of my brainstormed assuption is that "GPA can be the indicator for acedemic ability, which is the intellectual ability (is it right?)". So, when it comes to (C), it meets the assumption that GPA is the accurate measure of intellectual ability. Here, we can use the negation method. Then (C)'s negation is GPA is not the accurate measure of intellectual ability, and that clearly hurts the conclusion based on the above assumption. If GPA cannot reflect the academic ability, how can they say the lower GPA means academic difficulties? -----even stronger than (B)

Is there anything i misunderstood? Thanks for more explanation:)

Hello there , you are not following correct approach . Hope my explanation will help

Student Advisor: One of our exchange students faced multiple arguments with her parents over the course of the past year. Not surprisingly, her grade point average (GPA)over the same period showed a steep decline. This is just one example of a general truth: problematic family relationships can cause significant academic difficulties for our students.

Which of the following is an assumption underlying the general truism claimed by the Student Advisor?
(A) Last year, the exchange student reduced the amount of time spent on academic work, resulting in a lower GPA.
(B) The decline in the GPA of the. exchange student was not the reason for the student's arguments with her parents.
(C) School GPA is an accurate measure of a student's intellectual ability.
(D) If proper measures are not taken, the decline in the student's academic performance may become irreversible.
(E) Fluctuations in academic performance are typical for many students.

Conclusion here : This is just one example of a general truth: problematic family relationships can cause significant academic difficulties for our students.

assumption question requires statement that is required for the argument or conclusion to be true. So option C is irrelevant as it doesnt affect conclusion in any way whereas option B strengthens the conclusion by confirming that reason is not other way possible i.e. GPA decline is not the reason of argument .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Could someone please explain what the question about? I understood the argument fully but I got it wrong because I fail to identify the type of the question.
Thanks
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
nawaf52 wrote:
Could someone please explain what the question about? I understood the argument fully but I got it wrong because I fail to identify the type of the question.
Thanks

This is a typical GMAT CR structure for assumption type questions. The generalisation of this structure is as follows:

Observation: A and B are seen to happen together.
Conclusion: A causes B

Assumption in the above conclusion: B does not cause A.

In the subject question,
A = Problematic family relation (argument with parents)
B = Academic difficulty (poor GPA).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
in option b if you negate it doesnt it actually support the argument whereas negation should make the argument baseless.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts