Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Operations, Leadership
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V30
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink]
cauxion wrote:
I see what you are saying chire, but do the schools get into a room and talk amongst each to figure out which one of them will give the fellowship to a specific student? Say a student has Haas, NYU and Yale on their list in that order. If they are accepted at all three schools, you are saying that the other two schools will know if Haas decides to offer that student the fellowship. Now what if say Haas is #1 on my list and Yale decides to give me an extra $30k in scholarship money on top of the fellowship. Are they now not able to give you the fellowship because Haas offered it to you first? Would I be able to change my mind based on the financial package I a offered? I'm trying to see how much the schools actually collaborate when it comes to deciding who does and doesn't get the fellowship, seeing as though they can no longer see where they are ranked relative to the other schools

Yup the draft happens in Missouri in March. The schools get in the room and the rankings are revealed. The school you ranked number 1 then has the opportunity to offer you the cgsm fellowship. if they don't the list goes down and number two gets the opportunity to offer you their fellowship

Note - by this time the schools - before even the draft, know who they want and so it all plays out from there. You can only get one cgsm fellowship. If a school that you ranked 2. really wants you it may offer you a scholarship but once one school offers you a fellowship its a wrap with the fellowship decisions.... I hope you understand

Originally posted by chireapplicant on 04 Sep 2011, 13:53.
Last edited by chireapplicant on 04 Sep 2011, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
armymba2012 wrote:
it's my understanding they do not see the rankings until they meet to discuss giving out fellowships. so for admissions purposes, they don't know. but during the consortium meeting, they find out.

Thats what the schools say.... But trust me. If you have a friend who works in the admissions office, ask them..... The schools can see the rankings. They just tell you they cant. However i believe this year going forward they won't be able to see your rankings
Current Student
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE:Sales (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Yes the schools all get together when it comes down to deciding who will give the fellowship and they all see how the students have ranked the schools. The AdComs have told me that all the member schools are in close communication with one another. So the rankings play a heavy part. You almost need to rank the number 1 school not only as the school you want to get into... but it better be a school in which you KNOW you will be accepted. Otherwise, you may get into the other schools ranked further down your list... but can probably kiss the fellowship goodbye.
VP
VP
Send PM
jeprince112 wrote:
Yes the schools all get together when it comes down to deciding who will give the fellowship and they all see how the students have ranked the schools. The AdComs have told me that all the member schools are in close communication with one another. So the rankings play a heavy part. You almost need to rank the number 1 school not only as the school you want to get into... but it better be a school in which you KNOW you will be accepted. Otherwise, you may get into the other schools ranked further down your list... but can probably kiss the fellowship goodbye.

I honestly don't think that there is a science to this. Fellowship awards will be handled differently by each school. People on this forum have reported getting the fellowship from schools they ranked #4. I think it's best to try to get an idea of how ranking sensitive your target schools are and then list them accordingly. I know someone who got into his #1 ranked school but didn't get the fellowship (they did offer him other $$$ though).

Since Consortium R1 deadline isn't til November, I think visiting schools (tons of diversity weekends in Sept and Oct) will make it very clear what schools you really want and if you've got a good shot at getting in. I won't do my rankings til after I visit. Heck, schools could fall off my list after visiting (that's what I'm hoping).
VP
VP
Send PM
Hey all! I have a question. I'm filling out the Discover Stern diversity weekend application. Did anyone use the box for additional information? I want to submit a complete application but I don't know what other information they could want that's not in the app or on my resume. Does anyone have any ideas?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 246 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE:Analyst (Insurance)
Send PM
Anyone considering Darden? I ended up here after applying through the consortium and I love this place.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
has anyone seen the questions for the recommenders?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools: Ross '14 (A)
GPA: 3.75
WE:Consulting (Law)
Send PM
So I have a question, I have heard that a number of people apply through the consortium, without being a minority, likely for access to the common app and less for membership in the program itself (which is a pretty amazing program). While this seems like a good idea/appealing, I'd think that they might get dinged for it in admissions? Do they weigh the race/involvement of applicants for admissions, or is essay #3 (on mission contribution), the 3rd rec and interview not something shared with the admitting universities and used for membership review only? I don't quite like the idea of potentially gaming the system (I'm sure plenty do without any interest in the consortium's mission), but at the same time, it sounds like these other applicants were ok, and the organization doesn't mind people who didn't have much chance at membership applying/trying at least. But at the same time, I can't help but thing that if those essays/interviews are shared with admission teams, they might in fact harm an applicant simply for not fitting the consortium's general mission as well.

A friend pointed me to this from their website, which apparently makes it sound like your admissions isn't affected...
"While you may be granted admission to member schools without an adequate demonstration of commitment to The Consortium’s mission, you are expected to demonstrate adequate commitment to The Consortium’s mission in order to be granted membership to The Consortium and be considered for The Consortium Fellowship."

The program sounds like something worth a shot (it is a fellowship opportunity) and at the very least if that fails the common app is helpful, but since I'm not a champion of civil rights on the forefront of changing the world, I wonder if I would suffer if I tried to apply through the consortium. Again, personally, I have a little background in working to help minorities succeed in business, and have always tried to accept and promote diversity, but I'm not sure if that's enough for what the consortium is really looking for... any thoughts?
VP
VP
Send PM
gull47 wrote:
So I have a question, I have heard that a number of people apply through the consortium, without being a minority, likely for access to the common app and less for membership in the program itself (which is a pretty amazing program). While this seems like a good idea/appealing, I'd think that they might get dinged for it in admissions? Do they weigh the race/involvement of applicants for admissions, or is essay #3 (on mission contribution), the 3rd rec and interview not something shared with the admitting universities and used for membership review only? I don't quite like the idea of potentially gaming the system (I'm sure plenty do without any interest in the consortium's mission), but at the same time, it sounds like these other applicants were ok, and the organization doesn't mind people who didn't have much chance at membership applying/trying at least. But at the same time, I can't help but thing that if those essays/interviews are shared with admission teams, they might in fact harm an applicant simply for not fitting the consortium's general mission as well.

A friend pointed me to this from their website, which apparently makes it sound like your admissions isn't affected...
"While you may be granted admission to member schools without an adequate demonstration of commitment to The Consortium’s mission, you are expected to demonstrate adequate commitment to The Consortium’s mission in order to be granted membership to The Consortium and be considered for The Consortium Fellowship."

The program sounds like something worth a shot (it is a fellowship opportunity) and at the very least if that fails the common app is helpful, but since I'm not a champion of civil rights on the forefront of changing the world, I wonder if I would suffer if I tried to apply through the consortium. Again, personally, I have a little background in working to help minorities succeed in business, and have always tried to accept and promote diversity, but I'm not sure if that's enough for what the consortium is really looking for... any thoughts?

99% of people applying through the Consortium are not champions for civil rights on the forefront of changing the world (I don't care what their ethnicity is). Most have simply been involved with some type of effort that supports the Consortium's mission. If you are not an URM but can show that you've actively played a part in helping to increase the #s of minorities in business management then you should apply through the Consortium.
VP
VP
Send PM
Just got my invite for Discover Stern! Who else is going?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Just got my invite for Discover Stern! Who else is going?

i got mine as well, but i'm not sure if i'll be able to make it. i'm stationed in germany, so i'm debating if i want to pay all that money to fly to ny for a weekend :|
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
I'll def be there 8-)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Consulting, Social Enterprise
Send PM
I actually just got rejected from Stern's diversity weekend. Did yu guys apply early?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Consortium
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
ghinderbelle wrote:
I actually just got rejected from Stern's diversity weekend. Did yu guys apply early?

I, too, got rejected from the weekend and I applied early...first or second day the app was released if I remember correctly. Luckily for me I fell out of love with Stern last month after chatting with James Kingham at the DMAC conference, but I was still kind of surprised...I mean, I know my GMAT score is not amazing, but sheesh, I was just trying to visit...it's not like I was asking for a full-ride fellowship and a foot rub...yet. haha
VP
VP
Send PM
ghinderbelle wrote:

Sorry that it didn't work out for those of you who weren't invited. I honestly don't know how they decided who to invite. I know they have another diversity thing in January or Feb and many Consortium applicants are invited and interview then. I wouldn't take this as a sign of anything. If you're still interested in Stern, then just schedule your own campus visit and then apply based on how you feel.

I submitted the day it was due. I would have submitted it earlier but I couldn't think of a single thing to put in the Additional Information box since Honors/Awards and Hobbies/Activities/Volunteer/Extracurriculars are all on my resume.

I'm still on the fence about applying to NYU and I'm hoping that a campus visit will swing me either way. I did go to an info session in Philly on Monday. The presentation was just okay, but I had a great conversation with an alum. I really need to just sit in a classroom and walk the campus so I'll know for sure.
VP
VP
Send PM
mixedin86 wrote:
ghinderbelle wrote:

I, too, got rejected from the weekend and I applied early...first or second day the app was released if I remember correctly. Luckily for me I fell out of love with Stern last month after chatting with James Kingham at the DMAC conference, but I was still kind of surprised...I mean, I know my GMAT score is not amazing, but sheesh, I was just trying to visit...it's not like I was asking for a full-ride fellowship and a foot rub...yet. haha

Honestly, I don't know what factor GMAT really even plays. A friend of mine has the same score I do and he wasn't invited (not to say that our scores are amazing). It honestly might have been a random drawing. Who knows!?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
mixedin86 wrote:
ghinderbelle wrote:

I dont think your GMAT has anything to do with it, I have the same score as you, it may just be a random drawing. I applied the day it came out when I first saw the email. I have been in contact with several people at Stern including student ambassadors, alums, and admins not sure if that has something to do with it but it might.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  118   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts