Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
GMAt Status: Quant section
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
Schools: WBS (D)
GMAT Date: 12-30-2011
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: York University (Schulich) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Re: Anybody else having trouble finishing MGMAT on time? [#permalink]
yup.. time consuming... if you are missing out/ randomely selecting answers for the last 5 - 7 q's (that is doing about 30 q's in 75 mins) then you are pretty much within reach to complete the quant on time for the real test

and judging by your post... 37 in 85 mins.. i think you are doing fine... just keep this pace going
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
I must strenuously disagree with all of these posts! I won't argue about whether our quant sections are harder--some people find them so, although others find that they are unable to match their practice scores on the real test. In any case, that's not the problem here.

The problem is that it is absolutely essential to treat practice tests as *practice tests.* You should never give yourself extra time, nor should you allow yourself to run out of time at the end, or guess on the last 5-7 questions. The GMAT is a timed test, and handling the time constraints is an essential skill for anyone looking to break 600, let alone 700. If a problem is too difficult or time-consuming, move on. Don't spend 4 minutes on a problem, don't press the pause button, and don't give yourself any luxuries you won't have on the real test. Our tests allow you to set the time, and this is great for those who have been granted extended time on the test. If that's not you, you should complete each section in 75 minutes each time--no more, and preferably not much less. Remember that even at the 700 level, you will miss about 40% of the problems. Don't get hung up! Keep moving, and if you find you've moved *too* fast, adjust your pacing for the next test.

For those wanting to get the most out of the test, don't worry! You can always go back and review, taking as much time as you need to really understand the problem. In fact, I recommend that you review each problem this way before you even check the answers. This forces you to think harder, make connections, and look for alternate ways of seeing the problem. This is much healthier for your performance than simply checking the answers and reading the explanations.

Good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V46
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
I took all the 6 MGMAT tests and I remember finding it difficult to finish the 2nd and 3rd tests. These were tests that I had to take late night because of a busy day or immediately after returning from work. I guess I was either too sleepy or had a lot of things going in my mind. I also hear that the 2nd and 3rd MGMAT tests are tougher so I don't know whether that played a role.

From the 4th test onwards I started taking the test at the same time of my real GMAT test and ensured that I had a calm mind. That kind of helped! So make sure that you are full of energy during the test and don't lose focus.

I think it is vital that you take a timed test. The time factor is very very important.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Can you really miss 40% of the problems and still get a 700? It that the Q or the V section or both?

DmitryFarber wrote:
I must strenuously disagree with all of these posts! I won't argue about whether our quant sections are harder--some people find them so, although others find that they are unable to match their practice scores on the real test. In any case, that's not the problem here.

The problem is that it is absolutely essential to treat practice tests as *practice tests.* You should never give yourself extra time, nor should you allow yourself to run out of time at the end, or guess on the last 5-7 questions. The GMAT is a timed test, and handling the time constraints is an essential skill for anyone looking to break 600, let alone 700. If a problem is too difficult or time-consuming, move on. Don't spend 4 minutes on a problem, don't press the pause button, and don't give yourself any luxuries you won't have on the real test. Our tests allow you to set the time, and this is great for those who have been granted extended time on the test. If that's not you, you should complete each section in 75 minutes each time--no more, and preferably not much less. Remember that even at the 700 level, you will miss about 40% of the problems. Don't get hung up! Keep moving, and if you find you've moved *too* fast, adjust your pacing for the next test.

For those wanting to get the most out of the test, don't worry! You can always go back and review, taking as much time as you need to really understand the problem. In fact, I recommend that you review each problem this way before you even check the answers. This forces you to think harder, make connections, and look for alternate ways of seeing the problem. This is much healthier for your performance than simply checking the answers and reading the explanations.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot