Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:24 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Aidha
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [2]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
 Q44  V35
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [2]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [1]
Send PM
Re: GMAT retake - My plan and the progress [#permalink]
Kudos
The essence of my strategy is to strengthen your weak areas and perfect time management. Achieve these two and I can assure you, you will get your target score!
This is no guess work. This is the way I got from 650 to 750 ;)

These strategies will work for you if you work the strategies :D

Good luck...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Send PM
nycgmat2011 wrote:
Hi -- I just took my GMAT and scored a 650. I think you plan looks good. I'll look forward to reading your updates.
I'm still not sure if I should go the Knewton route. (I self-studied the first time).

Any reason in particular that you decided to go the self-study route?

Hi nycgmat,

I went self study way because of two reasons:

1. I firmly believe that GMAT preparation does not need any coaching/tutorial. They do not test complex concepts but they test the complex application of simple concepts and the same can be perfected with practice. With the amount of information and study material available and the role of forums like this, I believe self study is a good enough route to get to your target score.
But if someone can not commit to self study (it requires lot of self discipline), then he/she may want to hire some tutor to get him/her on track.

2. My husband and lot of his friends are MBAs from top b schools and they all suggested me to self study as they did the same and the results came. Not to ignore the fact that I have access to the expert guidance at home free of cost:)

Before you decide to pay money to Knewton (or any other tutorial), I would suggest you reflect back at your preparation. You may want to analyse where you went wrong, why you went wrong and then accordingly prepare your study plan. For example, for me I was doing pretty decent in quants during my preparation and had no time management issues (I used to solve all the questions too the end, even DS and would always manage to finish the quant with 5-7 minutes remaining) but during the real thing, I got few really lengthy questions and it all went downhill. So I realised that I should start using smart methods to solve the questions so that even if I have to give time to lengthy calculations, my overall performance is not hampered. I am going to practice that this time.

All the best for your prep. We can do it!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Entwistle wrote:
The essence of my strategy is to strengthen your weak areas and perfect time management. Achieve these two and I can assure you, you will get your target score!
This is no guess work. This is the way I got from 650 to 750 ;)

These strategies will work for you if you work the strategies :D

Good luck...

Great advice Entwistle. Noted with thanks :-D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Plan for today and tomorrow: Go through the Manhattan quant books and Verbal notes in next two days. Idea is to brush up the basics and then give a diagnostic on 17th Sep. 16th is going to be a busy day as I have enrolled myself for INSEAD in-house information event which will eat up good 5-6 hours.

P.S. I will be updating the plan and consequent progress once inn a day or once in two days. This way I will be motivated to stick to at least the short term goal and sharing it with you guys :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 12-30-2011
Send PM
OK then am following your posts.

Am in a similar kind of situation. You took the GMAT but i didn't. But have to give GMAT in another a month.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMATmission wrote:
Plan for today and tomorrow: Go through the Manhattan quant books and Verbal notes in next two days. Idea is to brush up the basics and then give a diagnostic on 17th Sep. 16th is going to be a busy day as I have enrolled myself for INSEAD in-house information event which will eat up good 5-6 hours.

P.S. I will be updating the plan and consequent progress once inn a day or once in two days. This way I will be motivated to stick to at least the short term goal and sharing it with you guys :)

Ok so the plan is in progress as desired (yay!). I addition to the Manhattan quant books I am also going through Ron's video tutorials on the areas I think are comparatively weaker for me. ( I say I think because I am yet to give the diagnostic test and will have a better idea then - but hey I did give a real exam few days back so have little idea of what to focus on :))

Today I am going to attend that INSEAD information session and guess what the session has a case study also. I am excited!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Own Kudos [?]: 752 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hey great Post man.

Can u give me some practical tips on how to identify my weak areas. I mean how to we classify it? Section wise, topic wise, category wise etc etc.

I am in a habit of doing questions randomly from GMAT club or other good sources. After I do the questions i try to analyze the question in detail. BUT the problem is this i just go on doing it randomly & don't specifically focus on any particular weak areas. Can u suggest me something to get rid of this habit?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Quote:
Hey great Post man.

Thanks GMATPASSION. Also I am a WOman :)

Quote:
Can u give me some practical tips on how to identify my weak areas. I mean how to we classify it? Section wise, topic wise, category wise etc etc.

I am in a habit of doing questions randomly from GMAT club or other good sources. After I do the questions i try to analyze the question in detail. BUT the problem is this i just go on doing it randomly & don't specifically focus on any particular weak areas. Can u suggest me something to get rid of this habit?

The best way to identify your weak area is to do a diagnostic test. You can do the GMAT Club free diagnostic test or the one from OG. Once you have done the diagnostic, you should classify your errors.
If you are in the beginning of your prep, you may classify them broadly as you know more errors in SC, no errors in CR or more errors in DS and less errors in PS. So this way you know where to focus. Doing questions from forums should be your supporting strategy and not the main study plan. As you said rightly, doing questions only from forums will make your prep random and there is not much scope of maintaining error logs. Its like this - if you dnt know where are you going wrong, how will you improve.
If you are somewhere in the middle of your prep and you are pretty comfortable on the SC, RC, CR, Ds and PS question formats, you may want to take the next step and classify your weak areas on the basis of topics. For example, I am weak in boldfaced CR or modifier based SC or geometry and inequalities on Quants. Once you have identified your weak sections, you should give specific time to improve those, may be by re visiting the concepts or practising more problems etc. Remember the progress should be measurable. For example, from making 2 errors per 10 questions in Co-ordinate Geometry you have improved to 1 error per 15 questions. The idea is to break down the preparation and then quantify the results.

Also, maintain your habit of analysing all the questions you do. Its a good habit!

All the best :)
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Own Kudos [?]: 752 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
@ gmaTMISSION.

Sorry for the gender error.Anyways thanks for such a detailed recommendation.Looking forward to implement these strategies in my daily routine. Thanks for the help.
Intern
Intern
Status:GMAT date booked, Drafting essays, University Shortlisting
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Fuqua '14
GMAT Date: 09-09-2011
WE:Other (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Hi,

I took the GMAT this morning. I scored 630 Q47, V30 :cry: . I didn't find quant to be much of a problem for me. I have got 47 for silly mistakes I committed. Verbal is and has been a monster :twisted: . How to improve overall Verbal score? I have 1-month time to improve my verbal score. What is the best game plan I should go with?

I used MGMAT -SC. I didn't study much for CR, but this time I NEED to. Likewise with RC, I used to read a lot of passages.

Best regards,
prabshan
Manager
Manager
Send PM
prabshan wrote:
Hi,

I took the GMAT this morning. I scored 630 Q47, V30 :cry: . I didn't find quant to be much of a problem for me. I have got 47 for silly mistakes I committed. Verbal is and has been a monster :twisted: . How to improve overall Verbal score? I have 1-month time to improve my verbal score. What is the best game plan I should go with?

I used MGMAT -SC. I didn't study much for CR, but this time I NEED to. Likewise with RC, I used to read a lot of passages.

Best regards,
prabshan

Hi Prabshan,

I am no expert but can tell you what I know.
For CR, CR Bible is a MUST. Read that page to page and practice as many questions as possible. Also try to answer the questions on forums as well and when you answer, breakdown the statement and the options and think in a very detailed manner.

For SC, I also used Manhattan Sc guide and was very helpful. I also did the 1000s and they were helpful to me in the sense that pointing out errors in SC became a reflex for me. I guess again its all about practice.

All the best!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Send PM
@ Prabshan and GMATmission

I think the quote from my GMAT debrief can help you increase your proficiency in CR ;)

Quote:
Critical Reasoning:
1. Powerscore GMAT CR Bible -
An excellent book for improving oneself in CR! The best way to study it is (pay attention, this is important, I don't think anyone has mentioned this approach before) as follows:

The first few chapters in the book offers a brief overview of what CR is all about. The remaining chapters focus on specific question types. The book divides CR questions into 10 different types and the introductory chapters will tell you how to distinguish one question type from another. After learning the introductory chapters, do the following:
Keep the Powerscore CR Bible next to you and turn to the CR section of the official guide. Start with the first CR question in the official guide and see if you can classify the question type. If you can't refer back to the introductory chapters. If you are able to classify it, turn to the relevant chapter. Go through the chapter and then return to the question and see if you're able to get to the right answer by applying what you just learned. If you're not able to get the right answer, go through the chapter again and again till you know why the right answer is right and why the wrong answer is wrong. Keep repeating the procedure for every question you do till you reach the point where you can start solving questions without having to refer back to the text. If everything goes as per plan, you should get there by question number 60 to 70 in the OG. From there on, do the remaining questions under timed conditions. I assure you, by the time you finish with the CR questions in the official guide, you will be able to breeze through the 500, 600 and possibly the lower 700 level questions in the actual GMAT :D
Intern
Intern
Status:GMAT date booked, Drafting essays, University Shortlisting
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Fuqua '14
GMAT Date: 09-09-2011
WE:Other (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Entwistle wrote:
@ Prabshan and GMATmission

I think the quote from my GMAT debrief can help you increase your proficiency in CR ;)

Quote:
Critical Reasoning:
1. Powerscore GMAT CR Bible -
An excellent book for improving oneself in CR! The best way to study it is (pay attention, this is important, I don't think anyone has mentioned this approach before) as follows:

The first few chapters in the book offers a brief overview of what CR is all about. The remaining chapters focus on specific question types. The book divides CR questions into 10 different types and the introductory chapters will tell you how to distinguish one question type from another. After learning the introductory chapters, do the following:
Keep the Powerscore CR Bible next to you and turn to the CR section of the official guide. Start with the first CR question in the official guide and see if you can classify the question type. If you can't refer back to the introductory chapters. If you are able to classify it, turn to the relevant chapter. Go through the chapter and then return to the question and see if you're able to get to the right answer by applying what you just learned. If you're not able to get the right answer, go through the chapter again and again till you know why the right answer is right and why the wrong answer is wrong. Keep repeating the procedure for every question you do till you reach the point where you can start solving questions without having to refer back to the text. If everything goes as per plan, you should get there by question number 60 to 70 in the OG. From there on, do the remaining questions under timed conditions. I assure you, by the time you finish with the CR questions in the official guide, you will be able to breeze through the 500, 600 and possibly the lower 700 level questions in the actual GMAT :D

Hi,

I was just looking for guidance just like the one you provided, an assurance. Thanks a ton.
Approximately, how long does it take typically to get to question 60-70?
Trying to build a strategy and time table to tackle this monster, verbal!!

Also, any other tips on SC and RC would be extremely valuable.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Send PM
@Prabshan
It can take you 7 to 10 days to reach the 70s. However, your speed will keep increasing as you progress. You will be able to finish the remaining questions in 5 days or so. Overall, two weeks to prepare for CR.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I know guys I was supposed too be done with the diagnostic but am late in that. Will do that tomorrow and update the results. Meanwhile, I am done with all MGMAT Quant books and some of Ron's videos and am starting OG today. I also attended information sessions for INSEAD and Said Business School. To say the least, the sessions were good and my interest in both the schools has been reinforced.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
So its been long that I posted. There has been a slight change in the plan. I am not giving diagnostic now. I realised that I would want to give an mock test little later in the practice. So Do not have results to share with you guys. But what I do have is an update on what I am doing:

Quants:
- I am strictly following gmatclub and solving the problems with clock.
- OG Quants review (20 questions per day - started it 3 days back)
- Manhattan strategy guides are done
- Have gone through couple of Ron's videos

Verbal:
- Again, following gmatclub
- LSAT's Next 10 tests
- Powescore CR bible

will post the results and learnings soon. Will also post them at my blog (the link to which is in my signature)

Happy studying!!

P.S. Haven't booked the date yet. Am thinking about 22nd Oct though.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ok so the update is that I gave the gmatclub diagnostic test and did 30 out of 45 correct..this looks like a really bad percentage. At this stage, I think I should be well above 85% accuracy. What are you opinions on the same. I am targeting a quant score of atleast 49. Since the questions get difficult as we progress through the test, I think I should mention the data for each set of 10 questions as:

Q1 - Q 10 - 1 Incorrect
Q11- Q 20 - 5 Incorrect
Q21- Q 30 - 4 Incorrect
Q31- Q 40 - 2 Incorrect
Q 41- Q45 -3 Incorrect

Lets discuss my scope for improvement and any suggestions are welcome. Once I am done with analysing the post, I will mention the strongest and weakest areas in this test.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2