Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Status:Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Status:Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Re: GMAT Prep course reviews, discount, codes [#permalink]
jaschen27 wrote:
For the Knewton 50 point guarantee, is there a limit as to what your prior score can be, or do they base it off of a diagnostic test they give the participant?

As per my understanding, the base score will be the higher one between your actual GMAT score (if you have already taken one) and your score in Knewton's diagnostic test (it's is not mandatory if you have a valid GMAT score).

My suggestion, if you have already taken GMAT, will be to attempt the Knewton's Diagnostic Test as attempting it may give you a higher score than your actual GMAT score.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thanks for this review! It was indeed of help!
Has anyone met similar comparison for on-line GMAT classes?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for sharing those tips to get prepared and good score in GMAT
Intern
Intern
Send PM
With so many courses to choose from, which in-class course provides the best value for the Verbal section?

I'm thinking of Kaplan or Manhattan.

Thanks!
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3
Send PM
Hi Guys,
i am in a dilemma whether to choose knewton or Gmatpill.. My main concern is verbal where i have scoring an avg of 34. Both the courses offer money back guarantee if they fail to improve the score by 50points
Knewton- seems more traditional approach and worth $349
Gmatpill- the founder claims a 1mnth plan is sufficient to improve the score considerably, but i am not really sure if it's possible ( i would definitely prefer a shortcut to success at this point)-Cost: $312 for entire course and $199 for only Verbal course

Guys- can you please post your reviews about the two courses and how effective they are in improving the score..i still have 2 mnths for my G-day
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:said ,stanford
Send PM
LifeChanger wrote:
Hi Guys,
i am in a dilemma whether to choose knewton or Gmatpill.. My main concern is verbal where i have scoring an avg of 34. Both the courses offer money back guarantee if they fail to improve the score by 50points
Gmatpill- the founder claims a 1mnth plan is sufficient to improve the score considerably, but i am not really sure if it's possible ( i would definitely prefer a shortcut to success at this point)-Cost: $312 for entire course and $199 for only Verbal course

Guys- can you please post your reviews about the two courses and how effective they are in improving the score..i still have 2 mnths for my G-day

I am also in the same dilemma and I also have to add e-gmat to that list. I am looking to increase my 34 verbal score which i got in my last attempt. Have you checked the preview available at gmatpill? The teaching method didn't fit well for my style of learning. Will decide which one to pick in a couple of days. The money back guarantee is what caught my attention since I have 700 from my previous attempt.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72864 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Expert Reply
I am curious what you guys end up picking - please keep us posted on the decision and through the process
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
jaba wrote:
LifeChanger wrote:
Hi Guys,

I am also in the same dilemma and I also have to add e-gmat to that list. I am looking to increase my 34 verbal score which i got in my last attempt. Have you checked the preview available at gmatpill? The teaching method didn't fit well for my style of learning. Will decide which one to pick in a couple of days. The money back guarantee is what caught my attention since I have 700 from my previous attempt.

I took the GMAT pill SC course and it was of no help at all. Also it is very general and does not give anything better than what you can get by reading MGMAT SC. I got really low score of V 27, now I am thinking of enrolling in Knewton.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:said ,stanford
Send PM
I have enrolled for knewton and hoping that its not a waste of time since i am going to give the test in a month. I will give a knewton review after a few week and hoping that we can get more reviews about gmatpill.
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
I am curious what you guys end up picking - please keep us posted on the decision and through the process

Hi bb,

Sure..i enrolled for Knewton mainly because i felt that my verbal score is low because of lack of practice. What i heard of knewton is that thet mimic the OG questions, so i feel that is what i need..

Will post the review.. :)
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
LifeChanger wrote:
bb wrote:

Hi bb,

Sure..i enrolled for Knewton mainly because i felt that my verbal score is low because of lack of practice. What i heard of knewton is that thet mimic the OG questions, so i feel that is what i need..

Will post the review.. :)

Thank you! Please PM me when you do so I don't miss it.
Good luck! (did you pick on demand or full class?)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I have taken three courses, MGMAT, Knewton, and mastergmat.

here are my views:
Mastergmat: the course is average. The content is not enough for you if you are targeting above 710.
Pros:
1. Excellent support from instructors. This i think is the best part. even though the course is not really adaptive, but i could schedule many sessions with them and in those sessions they shared with my specific weak areas and strong areas(like "special triangles" / "paradox resolving") from their back-end data based on my performance on the course-ware. Ditto for AWA. These were one-to-one sessions and were the most helpful in bettering my performance. Such one to one attention was not there in the other two.
2. detailed and patient one-on-one CAT analyses.
2. Awesome AWA analysis and preparation support. This included templates for both essays and detailed analysis of 4 essays each (issue and argument).
3. quick responses to emails. There was also constant encouragement and morale boosting, even in my one to one session on the lest day of prep; a personal touch:)

Cons:
1. average content. Not very reflective of actual GMAT. I would say i found the content easy and tricks (covered extensively on knewton) were there but not as good.
2. CATs were not good. For one they give the score in a range. my ranges were smtimes 690-710 and smtimes 730-770: clearly confusing. second, i used to get more than 4 RCs on my tests (smtimes even 7! ) with 2 - 5 questions each. The reason they gave for this abnormality is that their system ran out of higher level questions to give me and since RC had highest weightage on their system, thats wat used to pop up for me.

Knewton: Good. but not enough if you want extra help. Id say take it if you can study entirely on your using their online material.
Pros:
1. Good content, and CATs: GMAT like.
2. very explanatory videos (on demand or live) covering the session topic very well.
3. good coverage on realistic test taking methods/ tricks. really helped, especially their "tells" for identifying sentence errors in verbal, tricks in math, and their guessing techniques for desperate situations. coming to the 50-50 split was greatly emphasised and it works well on test day.
4. gave very handy "Knotes" covering entire syllabus in a few pages.

Mixed:
1. It's 'adaptive'. This is the most discussed and publicised part of Knewton. But honestly, having seen waht exactly is adaptive in there, i think it is a little too hyped (and takes away attention from other things)

Cons:
1. extremely bad support. I didnt attend live sessions so i cannot be sure how much time the instructor wud spend with you after a live class. but as such queries you put on their query platform (answres.knewton) went unanswered fr days! reason they gave: nature of query is such that they get qued, hence the delay. One of my verbal queries(something on identifying paradoxes) was unanswred for 20 days inspite of my emails/additional queries. i didnt understand wat was wrong with its nature. ;) I gave up.
2. bad test analysis system. they only explain why the correct answer is correct and why the worngs are wrong. if you disagree or cannot understand only option is to post a query. they also do not provide the difficulty level of questions on your results page. so you cannot analyse your test performance even yourself very accurately. i posted queries for help on analysing my tests, never got replies. i saw others too on their forum who got no replies to similar qstns. they gave Same reason: 'nature of query'. AWA analyses/preparation support was also pretty limited.
3. Once you exhaust their material(i did in two months, my gmat was due after another full month) theres nothing more you can do except go over their "concept que" :one page dedicated to one highly specific concept. while these pages help, theres still no content left fr you to practice on. couldnt even retale my CATs. i ventured to ask for more material. of course i got no reply.
4. in case, for any reason, you wish to restart the course you cannot get the adaptive aspect back. you can only retake section wise tests you have already taken. They dont reset your account. their reason: resetting will cause loss of data for them (and you)

one case specific problem was that their live classes are held for students across the globe. their timings never suited me (3 am /4 am/ 1am...) hence i completely lost out on a part of wat i paid for.

My experience was bad with knewton. with the money i paid, i needed good support for answering my doubts and not just unending interconnnected concepts and material left or me to do by myself. personally i found the scoring awkward too. on one instance i got two verbal questions(far apart frm each other) wrong and scored 41 while on another i got 7 wrong (3 consecutive plus 2 others consecutive, and 2 separate) and got 42. didnt underatnt it. but cant say.... cz i dnt know hw it wrks. no knowldge abt diffcutly level compouned problems.

MGMAT: By far the best. even its test series alone can bring about great improvement. I didnt go through the entire material. just did the tests and used parts of the material (a few PDFs). Ill therefore not list the pros and cons but just say that whatevr i did from MGMAT was fresh and great. The CAT analyses was absolutely fabulous! very detailed and helped me improve A LOT. It ensured that i never slipped downward. only went upward in my score. I didnt need any support. BTW, they also provide you the option to reset your account to start from scratch if you want to(in case your prep got a break or somethng). PS: their flashcards were very handy.

Phew. long post. i hope this helps. These are completely my personal views based on my personal experience.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you ritu2301!
Have you taken your GMAT yet? Do you know your score yet?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
just to add. i had taken each of these courses at different times. Knewton took me from 630 to 680 in CATs(i didnt take the actual test), mastergmat got me 680, and MGMAT CATs with thorough OG practice got me 730.
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for the info ritu230
reg Knewton's verbal material- I have enrolled for knewton course. I would like to know how good the material and its questions are relative to the ACTUAL gmat verbal questions. Do you attribute any improvement in your verbal score to knewton?

Thanks,LC
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
"how good the material and its questions are relative to the ACTUAL gmat verbal question"- pretty much yes.

"Do you attribute any improvement in your verbal score to knewton?" - No. In my first GMAT attempt i got very nervous and on top of that i was hungry during the verbal section. (yes its true! i hadnt accounted for it. and i cudnt apply my brains with a hungry stomach). So that accounts for the low score. As such my verbal score was always >=40. Having said that, i'd say that the way they explain verbal concepts in their vids is good. It's easy to pick up even finer points from their explanations.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
received a ridiculously low score on my first gmat. I just signed up with knewton so I am hoping to see a substancial boost. With me luck!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5