Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

Which Would You Pick If You Had a Choice?

You may select 1 option
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72874 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Re: Poll: How Much Does the MBA Brand Name Matter to You? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Here is a thread that has dealt with this in the past and decisions people made (I will try to find some more)
Booth Full Ride vs HBS - Poll with 126 votes and 5 pages of discussions :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
The thread BB posted had some great points. Interestingly, the names I recognize as students/alums of schools pretty much said Booth. Now if it was HBS vs a school in the high teens, I think it might have been a different story. But those of us paying what amounts to a small mortgage would say as long as the two schools are in the same tier and there isn't any huge difference in terms of career opportunities for what you want to do, hands down take the full ride. If it was 15k a year that is a different story...but the difference between 150k worth of debt and a few grand a month in loan payments vs no debt is huge right out of school.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
BB, was an interesting read.. this post seems a bit different.. measuring t10 to t20 and so-forth. An M7 with debt vs a T15 without debt.. I'm taking the M7 all day... schools within the M7.. I would have to say take the money.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
losttraveler wrote:
BB, was an interesting read.. this post seems a bit different.. measuring t10 to t20 and so-forth. An M7 with debt vs a T15 without debt.. I'm taking the M7 all day... schools within the M7.. I would have to say take the money.

Yes agreed - not apples to apples (though relevant when it comes to choosing schools esp. ones that are so close in rankings and so far away in the cost)
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
riverripper wrote:
The thread BB posted had some great points. Interestingly, the names I recognize as students/alums of schools pretty much said Booth. Now if it was HBS vs a school in the high teens, I think it might have been a different story. But those of us paying what amounts to a small mortgage would say as long as the two schools are in the same tier and there isn't any huge difference in terms of career opportunities for what you want to do, hands down take the full ride. If it was 15k a year that is a different story...but the difference between 150k worth of debt and a few grand a month in loan payments vs no debt is huge right out of school.

I agree. It is quite pressing if you have a $1.5-2K a month payment on your student loans - you can't be an entrepreneur, that's for one. Startup at that point is out of question and the stress of making the payment is not helping either (though I doubt you will have too much hassle finding at least some kind of a job).

There has to be something said about the budget after graduating.
Keep in mind that if you are a "normal" student, you will have quite a few expenses after you graduate:
- Move
- Get new clothes (most likely your older stuff won't fit you due to the weight you gain during those all-nighters)
- Renting
- Buying a new car (potentially)
- Other costs

Your savings will be exhausted at that point and you will potentially have credit card debt (most likely). Having a sign up bonus is very helpful (that's what it is designed to mitigate) but it is not always offered.

On the other hand, you will be making 100,000+ and in a higher tax bracket, so if you made 60K and took 50 home, you will now only take 65% or less. No deduction for Student Loan interest with that income either.... so it adds up to the burden. Not having a loan is very helpful...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
Agreed.. a lot of financial discipline required to rid yourself of the debt in a timely manner to pursue ventures like startups or other avenue. Hopefully CBS gives me some kinda money... otherwise I'll be working a part-time job starting spring semester and my 2nd year to mitigate costs... even with my savings.. I'm expecting a hefty debt load. I think you touched on some key points. The new clothes... that's something people don't consider. If you're rebuying a bunch of brooks brothers shirts, pants, shoes, etc.. you're looking at 1-2K to just get a wardrobe established to show up... it all adds up. However, if you're responsible and pay down the debt and live reasonably for a few years.. it gets much better ;)
GMAT Club Bot