Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:04 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Startegy
Schools:Harvard, NYU Stern
 Q47  V27
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V27
Send PM
MBA Application experience [#permalink]
hi,
thanks a lot for your prompt apply.i thought that i might take this as a positive sign beacuse i am indian and live in india and it was an international call.
Well, my profile is that for past 3 yrs i am working as a software engineeer , and for past one year in a multinational.When i was in my college i opened my own software company and ran it succesfully for 2 years.if i include that experience also i would say i have 5 yrs of work exp.i have been actively involved in extra cirricular activities at college level and at present i am writing a novel, working for an NGO and working on an efficency model developed by me.
i have a low GMAT score of 590, my quant score was good 81% and i am planning to give it agagin in mifd of april?need to work on SC and RC,any tips, if you can provide me will be of great help.

i am planning to apply to LBS, but its their last deadline, so bit confused should i apply?what do you say?

would luv to know about you

vikky
carsen wrote:
Hello Vikky

First of all, Good luck with your application to Columbia and other schools. As for your question on the 'conversation' with the adcom director, I spoke to all the admin persons of all the schools I applied to. All of them gave the same reply, 'We need to look at the complete application' . It is true that they will not be able to judge us with the limited information over a 30 to 60 minute conversation. Their words are general and in no means to be taken positive or negetive.

And you will never know unless you apply to them, as you will have no idea about the competition you are facing for that school. I applied to Cornell and LBS after talking to the adcom, who said the same, Yeah...but the reason I applied to them, though they were long shots (with a 640 gmat), was not to regret. You know, there is always a question 'ONLY IF I HAD APPLIED...'.
One valuable suggestion from my side, do not wait for the deadlines. It is much much much better to apply in the first round. I applied in the last round for LBS and got a ding. Once you complete the apps, apply to them. Go ahead dude... Columbia is a fabulous school. Do not look at the high application fees, you can make that money back after some hardwork and overtime :) . But if you get it....dude...you will be happy to get in to your dream school. Again, only if u r confident with the school. Let us know your profile and we may be able to give a rough estimation, though it shud not be taken as a 'decision'. I hope this helped. If there is anything let us know.

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi

About your profile. You have a good profile and couple of good factors like Novel, startup of a firm etc...That will help.

Your GMAT is low fo LBS and Columbia. I applied to LBS in the 3rd round, and got a 'ding' (rejected). GMAT is just one factor. LBS looks for people with international work expr (preferrably). The hard fact is (according to my research), with a low gmat score it is very difficult to get in to LBS. But again, its ur call. If your score a little more than 650, then I wud say you have chances (again, being the last round, chances are less).

I know people with couple of them who have got in to LBS and all of them have a score not less than 690. Save your money, LBS application fee is high. Work on the GMAT, give ur best. If you score above 650, then the adcom will look in to your apps with positive attitude. Sorry to say this vivek, but this is hte hard fact.

I have 10 years of exprnc and worked in 5 countries with a 640 gmat (low though). I got rejected by Cornell, LBS. I applied to 4 schools. I got in to IESE (spain) and Purdue for one year MBA.

If you need any information, feel free. My suggestion is to wait for one more year and make it to a top school than to do an MBA for the 3 letter next to the name. You have ample time to prepare the essays, the gmat and reccos. Submit them the best way and I am sure you will make it to LBS or any top schools.

Regards
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V27
Send PM
MBA application experience [#permalink]
hi,
i agree with you that my GMAT is not good and i need to work on that.i think IESE is quite good and with your kind of experiecne one year mba will be perfect for you.
i am planning to give my GMAT again by mid of april, so wanted to ask if you can provide me with the tips to improve SC and RC?

Another question, if i manage to get my GMAT above 650, do you think i have considerable chance of getting thru LBS and Columbia?

Anotehr question, what you think about B-schools like HEC -paris and Richard ivey,canada?

So, in which school are you going to pursue your MBA?

reagrds

carsen wrote:
Hi

About your profile. You have a good profile and couple of good factors like Novel, startup of a firm etc...That will help.

Your GMAT is low fo LBS and Columbia. I applied to LBS in the 3rd round, and got a 'ding' (rejected). GMAT is just one factor. LBS looks for people with international work expr (preferrably). The hard fact is (according to my research), with a low gmat score it is very difficult to get in to LBS. But again, its ur call. If your score a little more than 650, then I wud say you have chances (again, being the last round, chances are less).

I know people with couple of them who have got in to LBS and all of them have a score not less than 690. Save your money, LBS application fee is high. Work on the GMAT, give ur best. If you score above 650, then the adcom will look in to your apps with positive attitude. Sorry to say this vivek, but this is hte hard fact.

I have 10 years of exprnc and worked in 5 countries with a 640 gmat (low though). I got rejected by Cornell, LBS. I applied to 4 schools. I got in to IESE (spain) and Purdue for one year MBA.

If you need any information, feel free. My suggestion is to wait for one more year and make it to a top school than to do an MBA for the 3 letter next to the name. You have ample time to prepare the essays, the gmat and reccos. Submit them the best way and I am sure you will make it to LBS or any top schools.

Regards
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ivey in Canada is a case based approach and is the second largest producer of cases in the world after Harvard. I visited the school a few weeks back and was pretty impressed by their study approach. It has consistently ranked as one of the top B-schools in Canada and is one of the best, if not THE best, in my own opinion. If you plan to study in Canada and work internationally, consider IVEY. Ask them also to arrange for a visit to the school.
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V27
Send PM
MBA application experience [#permalink]
hi,
thanks, even i agree that Ivey is quite good,as you live in canada is it possible to get a job in US after completing my MBA from Ivey and howz the placeemnt scene at Ivey?
Are you planning to study in Ivey? does a school visit be free of cost as i residce in India, will the college pay for my tickets and everything?
regards

Paul wrote:
Ivey in Canada is a case based approach and is the second largest producer of cases in the world after Harvard. I visited the school a few weeks back and was pretty impressed by their study approach. It has consistently ranked as one of the top B-schools in Canada and is one of the best, if not THE best, in my own opinion. If you plan to study in Canada and work internationally, consider IVEY. Ask them also to arrange for a visit to the school.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Re: MBA application experience [#permalink]
vikky267 wrote:
hi,
thanks, even i agree that Ivey is quite good,as you live in canada is it possible to get a job in US after completing my MBA from Ivey and howz the placeemnt scene at Ivey?
Are you planning to study in Ivey? does a school visit be free of cost as i residce in India, will the college pay for my tickets and everything?
regards

About 20% of IVEY students work internationally after graduation. Also, I believe that the placement 3 months after graduation is one of the highest in Canada. IVEY also has the highest average salary 3 months after graduation and the only Canadian school to have an average starting salary above 100k US. It is one of only 2 Canadian schools to be granted automatic working permit in the UK.
As to the invitation to the school, I believe you can contact the school through email if they can arrange for a "first class" visit. I don't know if they give it to everyone or whether it depends on your GMAT score. I received the invite after selecting IVEY as one of the 5 schools to send my GMAT scorecard to. If you get accepted, they will reimburse up to 1200$CAD for your travel expenses including the ticket price. I, for my part, will certainly consider IVEY if I apply to the MBA for 2006.
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V27
Send PM
Re: MBA application experience [#permalink]
hi,
what was your GMAT score? Do you have idea about HEC-Paris

reagrds

Paul wrote:
vikky267 wrote:
hi,
regards

About 20% of IVEY students work internationally after graduation. Also, I believe that the placement 3 months after graduation is one of the highest in Canada. IVEY also has the highest average salary 3 months after graduation and the only Canadian school to have an average starting salary above 100k US. It is one of only 2 Canadian schools to be granted automatic working permit in the UK.
As to the invitation to the school, I believe you can contact the school through email if they can arrange for a "first class" visit. I don't know if they give it to everyone or whether it depends on your GMAT score. I received the invite after selecting IVEY as one of the 5 schools to send my GMAT scorecard to. If you get accepted, they will reimburse up to 1200$CAD for your travel expenses including the ticket price. I, for my part, will certainly consider IVEY if I apply to the MBA for 2006.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V27
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks, it helps
Hjort wrote:
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey Vikky, I got 710. I know HEC has a pretty good reputation internationally but an even greater reputation should you decide to work in France. It's one of the "grande ecole" and definitely is the top B-school within the country - maybe even ranked above INSEAD(at least better known than INSEAD) should you decide to work within the country. You might want to check out this link: https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 0254#80254
and
https://www.hec.edu
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Vikky, for HEC, you may want to join the HEC admission chat on April 14. Follow this link: https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=15575
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V27
Send PM
[#permalink]
hi,
thanks a lot for providing me with the link. i had a word with students who are studying in HEC.I really like their exchange program and another thing it is only one of the few universities which has high percentage of people changing their functionality as well as their industry?
just wanted to know does HEC also comes in the list of universities which have the priveledge of having a job visa in UK, just like Richard Ivey?
Is it easy to get a job visa in france?i hope french companies are not apprehensive about hiring international students ?

regards

Paul wrote:
Hey Vikky, I got 710. I know HEC has a pretty good reputation internationally but an even greater reputation should you decide to work in France. It's one of the "grande ecole" and definitely is the top B-school within the country - maybe even ranked above INSEAD(at least better known than INSEAD) should you decide to work within the country. You might want to check out this link: https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 0254#80254
and
https://www.hec.edu
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
HEC is not among the 50 schools granted automatic work permit in the UK. https://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/media/F2F ... bas_50.pdf

In terms of work permits for France, I'm not sure but I would expect it not to be too hard given that you attend one of France's most prestigious schools. The same goes for Canada, IVEY.
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V27
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks a lot for providing me with the list.Any idea if seats are available at Rotterman, netherlands for the current class.

i think it might become difficult to get job visa in france, compared to france getting job visa in canada is much easier?

Do you think starting a buisness venture at an early stage of life and succesfully running it for two te years and then buisness venture getting closed has a bad effect on your application or is it a good thing in an application?

Paul wrote:
HEC is not among the 50 schools granted automatic work permit in the UK. https://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/media/F2F ... bas_50.pdf

In terms of work permits for France, I'm not sure but I would expect it not to be too hard given that you attend one of France's most prestigious schools. The same goes for Canada, IVEY.
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V27
Send PM
[#permalink]
hi,
can you provide me with in details regarding the work permit in UK after completing mba from the list of universities?i have seen the list of universities which you provided, if you can provide in detail about the whole thing?

Paul wrote:

CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Even though your business venture failed, I believe that it is a good thing to mention it: What did you learn from the whole experience? If you had to restart it again, what would you make differently? Why do you think the venture failed? All the above are valid questions and will add to the learning experience of the potential school you will join. This will also make your experience unique and it is what B-schools are looking for.

In terms of work visa in France, I would suggest it to be more difficult to obtain relative to obtaining one in Canada. Canada has always been a country with much available space and always in search of qualified immigrants. Western Europe is a much more crowded part of the world which will make rules more stringent in terms of work visa. For instance, for a regular individual, it will take 2 years in Canada to be a permanent resident while it would take 10 years in the UK. However, if you are qualified and come from a top-school, you should not worry too much.

As to the other questions, I am not qualified to answer them :(
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2