Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:17 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Affiliations: University of Notre Dame
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: University of Notre Dame (Mendoza) - Class of 2013
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: Notre Dame MBA Candidate - Taking Questions [#permalink]
Hi Joe,

Thanks for starting this thread!

Congrats on your admit! How has your ND experience been thus far?

I have a few questions.

1) ND has 5 rounds of application, more than most of the other schools. how different are the chances of a student applying in R2 or R3 compared to that of one applying in R1? ( I wanted to know about scholarships awarded as well)

2) I want to do an MBA to change my career. I have 4yrs of IT exp (India). I want to get into the media and entertainment industry and
I have read that ND has an active media club. Could you shed some light on the activities of the club and how strong is the school in placing students within this industry?

Thanks
Ganesh
Current Student
Send PM
Ganesh -

Thanks! The past two months at Notre Dame have been absolutely great. The professors, MBA office and administration have worked really hard to make the program rigorous but rewarding, and it definitely shows. I've learned a lot this first module, have had some great experiences, and am really looking forward to more.

To answer your questions:

1) If you're serious about Notre Dame, I would encourage you to apply in the earlier rounds if your application is where you want it be. In the same beat, I would also say don't rush the application and be sure that it reflects the most complete picture of yourself. As for scholarships, there are absolutely opportunities, but they are handled on an individual applicant basis by the Admissions office.

2) I'm a career switcher as well, and Notre Dame does a great job at laying the groundwork of business fundamentals while keeping you engaged and letting you pursue your interests. One of the nice things about being in a smaller class size (my class has 130 MBA candidates) is that there are always opportunities for students to pursue their passions. We've had two new clubs founded already this year because students were driven by their interests, and the administration is very encouraging. If media and entertainment is something you're passionate about, then you'll find support for your efforts. I believe in recent years Notre Dame has had students placed in either internships or jobs at Disney, Fox News, ABC, NBC, MTV and EA.

If you're interested in Notre Dame, I would definitely encourage coming up for a visit. We host prospective applicants every week, and it's a great opportunity to get a feel for the campus and program, and you'll get to spend time with students both in class and one-on-one. You can find information here: business.nd.edu/MBA/Get_in_Touch/Visit_the_Campus/

Hope this helps, and let me know if I answer any other questions.

Go Irish!

Joe
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools: Mendoza UCSD
Send PM
Joe - thanks for taking questions.

I've read a lot about the Business On The Frontlines course. Can you talk a little bit more about that? Have you had that course yet?
Current Student
Send PM
Although I haven't had the course yet, Notre Dame's Business on the Frontlines is a great class and was a major draw for me to enroll in the program. It's an application only course that accepts 16 MBAs each year. Offered in the spring, it covers the entire semester and interterm break for a total of 6 credit hours and focuses on post-war torn countries (a minimum of three years since the end of conflict).

Students spend the first 7 weeks of the semester doing research and analysis on what caused the conflicts, why fighting occurred, and how business could have either positively or negatively impacted the situation. During the interterm break, the class will spend 12 days in country where they'll observe conditions since the end of the conflict, talk with local citizens and hear from business leaders on their efforts and needs.

The second half of the semester is spent processing your findings and understanding the business problems the country is facing. You work with your class and professor to come up with recommendations and create a presentation that three of your classmates (1 MBA, 1 JD, and 1 Masters in Peace Studies) and Professor Bartkus will present to Catholic Relief Services in Baltimore (which helps coordinate efforts while students are on the ground in country).

Past countries visited through this course included Lebanon, Kenya, and Uganda. I know that more country options are under review for the next class.

Two-year MBA Candidates are eligible to take the class spring semester of their second year.

If you have any other specific questions, I'm happy to answer them.

Go Irish!

Joe
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Thanks for taking questions Joe. Appreciate you taking time.

I'm considering applying and just wondering what the best part of the experience has been for you so far?

They talk a lot about small class size, camaraderie, etc. Is that really true?
Current Student
Send PM
Since I started at Notre Dame in August, there have been a lot of great experiences. Students here are kept pretty busy with core classes and career development, but also strike a good balance. Football Saturdays are a blast, while the course work is really interesting and challenging at the same time.

One of the best experiences so far has been interterm. Interterm takes place over the two weeks between modules in the fall and again in the spring. As a first year, you're required to participate in a case competition during the first week. During these competitions, major companies will present a challenge they're facing to MBA students and provide vital information pertaining to the issue. Your team then works for a few days to create your own solution to the problem, and will present to company executives at the end. There are usually prizes to the top teams, and often times the winning plan, or some variation of it, is actually implemented by the company.

There's a little more flexibility with your second week. Here you're either able to go on fall break, or take advantage of a career trek. As a finance major, I took the week long trip to New York City that was set up by the MBA office. Taking advantage of the extensive Notre Dame alumni network, the office worked to set up meetings with 16 financial services firms/offices. Several of my classmates and I were invited to the New York Fed and banks such as Morgan Stanley and Citi for presentations and networking opportunities. Similar trips took place in San Francisco and Chicago. These are great ways to boost career development.

One you're out of your first semester, you have the opportunity to take advantage of international trips during interterm. For instance, during spring interterm, I'll be heading to China for two weeks, while several classmates will be heading to Chile and Argentina. Both are organized through the school.

As for class size, it is a smaller, personalized program. We have about 135 students in my class, and the overall program (first years, second years, and one years), is just over 300. During your first two modules, when you're taking core classes, you're in one of two sections with 65 or so students in each class. That's the largest class you'll be in while at Notre Dame. When you start taking concentration-specific classes, the class size gets much smaller. I personally like it because the smaller class sizes and better access to professors.

The smaller class size also means we have a very close class. I know the name and background of nearly everyone in my year and a good chunk of the second years and one years. Everyone gets along really well, but that isn't to say we aren't still competitive. It's a great environment because while you are competing with your classmates, its done in a respectful way where we're not undercutting or going after each other. Rather, you're able to build off the experience of others.

Happy to answer any other questions.

Go Irish!

Joe
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Dear js9657a,

I am an international applicant looking at Mendoza School of Business as a possible option. I have an interest in pursuing opportunities in the Commodities Supply Chain and Trading of Energy and Agricultural Commodities. Would like to know the following things:

1. How good is the placement scenario for International Candidates
2. Is it difficult to get a work Visa for those opting to work for sectors other than consulting
3. Companies like Exxon Mobil and GE come to the campus do they recruit international candidates as well.
4. How many international candidates return back to their home country upon graduation.
5. Does the school support international candidates who want to start an Entrepreneurial venture.
GMAT Club Bot