Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72866 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 2: 650 Q46 V34
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]
Is it possible to gain a 700+ with exactly 45 days of prep ?
as per this Gmat study plan I used up the first test from GMAT prep software as a diagnostic test (without refreshing any math or verbal basic) and got a 530 score.
Please advice a 1 month study plan
I have covered the basics from set of 8 Manhahttan strategy guides
My exam date is Nov 8th
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thanks.This is useful.
I wrote my GMAT exam on the 23rd of Nov 2011 and scored 520 Q42V20. This is after 3weeks of serious prep.However I had not done enough research to realise that I needed to take the Gmat Prep exam so as to gauge where my scores would average.

I am using the following books:All 8 Manhattan Gmat strategy Books
Official Guide 12th Edition
Verbal and Quant Official guides
Kaplan Gmat Premier.

I would like to retake the exam in 1.5months and require a solid study plan for the retake. I have crazy 14-16hr work days but I am willin to spare atleast two hours in the morning and fully utilise my weekends.

Please advise on a suitable study plan which i could adopy but I would probaly have to tweak it to suite my work schedule

Please als advise whether the time is sufficient for me to study.

Also are there any Ebooks that you would recommend for my read in order to improve my verbal?

I will appreciate soem feedback
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GPA: 3.6
WE:Accounting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
hi guys, I've introduced myself in the other forum for newbies. I'm new to this board but been reading the club topics for a while now but I only had the courage to really do the GMAT Prep after my bf decided that he wants to study for his GRE. Yes bf/gf can be a distraction but in my case, it's the other way around.
I got my Bachelor's Degree in the Philippines but been in the US for 6 years now.
I have a full time job (Tax Accountant) plus a paperie business and at the end of the day my brain is already fried so I'm really looking for a guidance from gmatclub to see which study prep is better - self ones or the full time class.

Anyway, I'm going to do my diagnostic tests this weekend and see where my weakness is.
I've been obsessing about this GMAT Prep. I'm kinda frustrated because there are so many books.
I've looked at them based on the reviews and recommendations here and I have a pretty good idea that I'd go for MGMAT Books + OG 12th Edition + Verbal and Quant Books.
BUT at the same time, I feel like that MGMAT Test Prep would be more beneficial since I've been out of school for 9 years now.

All your 2cents will be greatly appreciated!

Btw, bb you've done a really great job here.

Many thanks,

Siena
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello all,
I have just started preparing for GMAT exam. Its seems to be a tough task for me. As my native language is not English and my math is also very poor. I am looking for some guidance and a proper strategy to score in this exam. Please help me. (i am doing self study.)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi there,

I'm taking the GMAT the 10th of November. I've got roughly one month to study starting now. 600 is the score I'm aiming for since this is what the university I want to got to requires.

Currently finishing my bachelor of Business Administration. Not all stuff is new to me however I'm not that good in the quantitative section. Going to take the diagnostic test tomorrow.

Planning to study 4-5 hours a day from now on for the GMAT. Is this sufficient enough for a 600+ score, since I only got one month to study?

All advice is welcome.

Cheers,

Russ

(the Netherlands)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Business - Finance
Schools:Columbia Business School, Goizueta, Sloan
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Hi everyone,

I have recently graduated from a college in the US as an international student. I would like to get into a good grad school either in Europe or US in a few years after obtaining some work experience. I figured it would best for me to try to get the GMAT out of the way as soon as possible so I can focus on work and other things.

My goal is to get into the 700s. I know it will be hard but I am a good student and if I work hard I think I can achieve my goal. To get there, I need to get the best information regarding on how to prepare. I got the 8 MGMAT Strategy guides (4th Edition) and OG (12th Edition).

My original plan is to start studying for a month or so and take the first practice test to see where I stand. After that, I think I should focus on minimizing my weaknesses and focusing on strengths. To do that, as I see from other people on forum, I need to keep an error log. In addition I should visit this forum for any possible help. Finally, after I've gone through everything I should start practicing with the questions from the OG.

Then I believe I should take the second GMAT prep test and see if I am satisfied with the score. If I am satisfied, I should take the test, if not, I should keep studying. I am aware of the charts at the beginning of this topic and I am keeping them in mind.

This is my study plan. I would like to know what you people think about it and I have a few questions:

1) Is it better to first study Quant, Verbal or you have to study both simultaneously in order to be a high scorer in each?

2) If you scored for example 750 on a GMAT and did not study for a month or two...would your score drop a lot or the test is more of a set of rules that if you truly understand you will not forget it?

3) Is my book selection sufficient to get into the 700s?

4) If I understood well, bb said that studying involves reading some books. Does it mean if I choose to read some outside books, I should read it with my ""GMAT detectors" or my mind can go anywhere?

This should be all for now, I know the questions probably look weird to you. I would REALLY appreciate your answers, comments, ideas or even critics. I just want to do well :)

Thank you!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Hey guys, I started my GMAT prep this week. MGMAT online i started today. Last one week brushed on Maths foundation. 1 week now will follow Verbal foundation/Number properties. Then will finish MGMAT CAT 1. benchmark my current score, move ahead for improvement.....Will keep you all posted on my study plan and improvements.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

I had given my GMAT 2 years ago and I got a 640 [very disappointing]. I think the fundamental mistake I made at that point was that I didn't give enough practice tests and the tests I did give were never in the GMAT environment. I think this really affected my performance adversely.

In terms of my strengths and weaknesses, I believe I am decently good at the English but I need practice on the approach and reducing the time taken to solve each question. Also, for Quant, I think I need to brush up on the basics, especially probability and permutation, combination.

I want to apply to ISB, the last date for which is Nov 30 and I have booked my GMAT date for Nov 29 [really the last possible date for this!]. I am also working full time, 5 days a week. I can squeeze in 3 hours a day of study time on weekdays apart from the weekends. I want to get 680+, preferable a 700+ score.

I have exactly 36 days till the exam and the following books:

1. OG 12th edition
2. OG 11th edition
3. MGMAT - SC, CR and RC
4. Kaplan Premier 2009

I really need some help on what I should focus on - both books as well as the approach to study the various topics. I am quite confused and panic is setting in as well :(. Since I have so many books, I am not sure what to begin with and how to best utilize these 5 weeks. I really need some help with my study plan. The Study plans which are there are on the forums are creating more confusion than helping me sort out the master plan.

Also, if someone could let me know of a good book to get the basics of permation combination and probability, that would be great too.

Please help!

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management , Enterprenureship
Schools:ISB, IIM
GMAT 2: 690  Q50  V34
GPA: 3.93
Send PM
SujC12 wrote:
Hi,

I had given my GMAT 2 years ago and I got a 640 [very disappointing]. I think the fundamental mistake I made at that point was that I didn't give enough practice tests and the tests I did give were never in the GMAT environment. I think this really affected my performance adversely.

In terms of my strengths and weaknesses, I believe I am decently good at the English but I need practice on the approach and reducing the time taken to solve each question. Also, for Quant, I think I need to brush up on the basics, especially probability and permutation, combination.

I want to apply to ISB, the last date for which is Nov 30 and I have booked my GMAT date for Nov 29 [really the last possible date for this!]. I am also working full time, 5 days a week. I can squeeze in 3 hours a day of study time on weekdays apart from the weekends. I want to get 680+, preferable a 700+ score.

I have exactly 36 days till the exam and the following books:

1. OG 12th edition
2. OG 11th edition
3. MGMAT - SC, CR and RC
4. Kaplan Premier 2009

I really need some help on what I should focus on - both books as well as the approach to study the various topics. I am quite confused and panic is setting in as well :(. Since I have so many books, I am not sure what to begin with and how to best utilize these 5 weeks. I really need some help with my study plan. The Study plans which are there are on the forums are creating more confusion than helping me sort out the master plan.

Also, if someone could let me know of a good book to get the basics of permation combination and probability, that would be great too.

Please help!

Thanks!

Hi SujC12,
I am in the same boat. My G-Day is on 24.11.2011. Keep in touch.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: International Business, Leadership
Schools: Stern '14
WE:General Management (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Very useful tips here, thx all!

I'm most concerned of the time management... I'm working as a country manager and after the day feeling very tired to be able to concentrate well enough for the math or verbal. I believe I'm not alone with this problem :)

I need to score at least 680, the higher the better, and I have huge difficulties with math especially. I'm not a native English speaker and I have never studied math in English which is the problem number 1: I don't have the vocablulary to be able to understand the questions, so the studying takes more time. I need to get the very basic terms right first!

So, it feels like I should be studying full-time for the GMAT to be able to get the score I need... but is there any other way? How do you combine heavy GMAT studying with full-time job and how has it been? How much have you been able to get your scores up? I've tried to cut my hours but it doesn't seem to be very likely to happen, do you think weekends would be enough to improve score with 150-200?

I appreciate every tip!!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi Everyone,

I just got the books:

3 official books
8 books of Manhattan

I'll try to take the exam in February or March.

Let's see how it works out!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I was hoping someone could give me some feedback on my studyplan and chances of success based on the information below.

Graduated College May of 2010
Been working for just over a year at a job that is quite mind numbing with little to no quantatative or verbal thinking.

My Goal Score is 600.
Past SAT Score was 1080/1600.---not the best because I am not very good with standardized tests; however, I performed well on tests all through HS and college (primarily a B, B+ student).

I currently work 10-7pm. I was able to get my hours changed in order study in the morning.

I have a 13 week study plan that reads as follows:
November-January
6 weeks-math (take cat 1 after 6weeks)
4 weeks-verbal
3 weeks-review, practice tests, relax before exam
TOTAL: 13 weeks

2-2.5 Hours M-F in the AM + review what i learned in the morning during my lunch break 30mins+ relax and do nothing at night because I am exhausted from work,
5-7 hrs Sundays
RELAX- Saturdays ---Football season

Study Materials:
8 studyguide set from Manhatten
OG 12

*side note...i can typically figure the answer out for a certain question but it typically takes me an extra 1 min or 2 to get there, so timing will certainly be a factor*

Thanks

ugafan
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hi to all gmatclub.comers this is my frst post and thought i would say hi -
thanks speak soon
gazza
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello,

I am just starting out my GMAT journey. Just finished reading the MGMAT Foundations of GMAT math. I bought all MGMAT guides and the OG 12.

I had a specific question about the study plan. In the first month, I will read all of the MGMAT math guides. In this month, do I ONLY solve questions in these MGMAT math guides? Do I need to wait until I finish all MGMAT math guides to start covering OG math sections?

Thank you so much!

eeydelna
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72866 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
eeydelna wrote:
Hello,

I am just starting out my GMAT journey. Just finished reading the MGMAT Foundations of GMAT math. I bought all MGMAT guides and the OG 12.

I had a specific question about the study plan. In the first month, I will read all of the MGMAT math guides. In this month, do I ONLY solve questions in these MGMAT math guides? Do I need to wait until I finish all MGMAT math guides to start covering OG math sections?

Thank you so much!

eeydelna

The MGMAT Guides refer to the OG 12 for additional practice, you definitely want to take advantage of this and work on the questions from the OG (but only the ones that the MGMAT books refer to).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you so much for your response!

In Number Properties guide (4th edition), page 175, it says that "if you complete all the practice problems contained on OG lists in each of the 8 MGMAT strategy books, you will have completed every single question published in the OG". So, that means after I solve all suggested OG questions, there won't be any more OG questions left?

Thank you again for yur help!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72866 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
eeydelna wrote:
. So, that means after I solve all suggested OG questions, there won't be any more OG questions left?

Yes, that's correct. That's the point.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  19   20   21   22   23   24   25  ...  42