Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: First GMAT prep practice exam - realistic? [#permalink]
getienne wrote:
I guess the Q45 is reason enough to retake though you had a great overall score. a 51Q 45V well get no complaints from me... Btw not sure if I said this before but I was anxious so moved my test up 2 weeks to Oct 29th instead of Nov 12th... I have two more GmatPrep exams to take in the next two Saturdays and then I think I should be ready for a decent score.

Yeah I don't see myself getting a Q51, but I would be happy with somewhere around a 48-50 in Quant I think. I got a 50 in my last couple practice tests so it might be possible if things go my way.

Oh ok, yeah it seems like you are ready now so no point in waiting til Nov 12th. Good luck man, keep us updated.
Given Kudos:
I will! I have a general strategy question... I have 19 days left to study and I'm not sure If I'm peeking too quickly... I have 3 MGMAT exams left and the two GMATPrep v2 (new version) left... What would be the best way to distribute my test taking so that I'm not mentally drained during the week of my exam yet not TOO relaxed?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
getienne wrote:
I will! I have a general strategy question... I have 19 days left to study and I'm not sure If I'm peeking too quickly... I have 3 MGMAT exams left and the two GMATPrep v2 (new version) left... What would be the best way to distribute my test taking so that I'm not mentally drained during the week of my exam yet not TOO relaxed?

Hard to say, I took a full practice test with essays each of the two days leading up to my test and I think that was a bad idea, I think I kinda fried my brain for my actual test day. Besides that I was pretty anxious going into my test and that really made me freeze up once I started on my math portion. I felt calm by the time I got to verbal, but by then it was too late.

This round I'm going to take a practice test the week before my exam, then MAYBE one more like 3-4 days before, not sure about that yet though. But I think the last few days before my test I am going to just do some light review and a few practice problems to stayed primed but mostly just take it easy and relax so I feel good going into my test.

I think eragotte just took it easy the last 5 days before his test and it seemed to work out for him.
Given Kudos:
Yeah I'm off on the 28th and will not take a test on the 27th either... So my last possible test day would be on the 26th. Plan on taking my final GMATprep the 22nd then maybe a retake of one of the tests on the 25th then review lightly the final days and nothing at all on Friday.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
getienne wrote:

For mine I did a full test 5 days before the exam and only did like half an hour of review over the final 5 days combined. I think it was beneficial for me. you should try to finish your MGMATs with 10-12 days left, that way you can use their exam review analysis stuff to find your weaknesses and work on strategy.

Unrelated, have you guys heard of people's score on test day being different from the official report in the mail?
Given Kudos:
My only actual weakness in MGMAT is probability/combinatorics. But they keep giving a disproportionate amount of 700 level questions in those categories and I pretty much have the 600 level comb/prob questions locked down so I'm not too worried on my weaknesses... Everything else has been silly mistakes from either working too fast (6*2 = 18 for example) or not reading the question carefully enough.

I have never heard of that! Did it happen to you? If so, I hope the mailed official score is higher than your exam-day score lol
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
eragotte wrote:
getienne wrote:

For mine I did a full test 5 days before the exam and only did like half an hour of review over the final 5 days combined. I think it was beneficial for me. you should try to finish your MGMATs with 10-12 days left, that way you can use their exam review analysis stuff to find your weaknesses and work on strategy.

Unrelated, have you guys heard of people's score on test day being different from the official report in the mail?

I've heard that it happens very rarely for example when GMAC determines a question to be unfair such as having two possible answers or something like that. But I don't think I've ever seen anyone on here mention it so I doubt it happens much.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
getienne wrote:
My only actual weakness in MGMAT is probability/combinatorics. But they keep giving a disproportionate amount of 700 level questions in those categories and I pretty much have the 600 level comb/prob questions locked down so I'm not too worried on my weaknesses... Everything else has been silly mistakes from either working too fast (6*2 = 18 for example) or not reading the question carefully enough.

I have never heard of that! Did it happen to you? If so, I hope the mailed official score is higher than your exam-day score lol

Haha, I see, well then I'm expecting 800 from you for sure. And no, it didn't happen to me, I was just curious. Mainly because I've seen people score as low as 720 with a 49,41 therefore I could be very very close to Q50 or to 740... so if unofficial scores change I'd be a good candidate.

rjdunn03 wrote:

I've heard that it happens very rarely for example when GMAC determines a question to be unfair such as having two possible answers or something like that. But I don't think I've ever seen anyone on here mention it so I doubt it happens much.

Yeah, I couldn't find any mention of it. Still will be happy to see it unchanged on the offical report though.
Given Kudos:
I doubt they would change your official score to a worse score. That just seems unfair. Any change would most likely bring a 10pt improvement on your score or a high breakdown of each subject.

Btw, I think an 800 would do more harm than good! lol I'll be very content as long as I don't underperform and I don't get nervous during the test. Many people would kill to have anything above 700, let alone a 730 and a 750 like you guys so I'll be happy with anything that's around my average score for all my practice exams so far (740)...
Given Kudos:
No matter how much I tell myself to slow down during the verbal I always manage to finish the exam with more than 15 minutes left... How do you guys improve your verbal timing?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
getienne wrote:
I doubt they would change your official score to a worse score. That just seems unfair. Any change would most likely bring a 10pt improvement on your score or a high breakdown of each subject.

Btw, I think an 800 would do more harm than good! lol I'll be very content as long as I don't underperform and I don't get nervous during the test. Many people would kill to have anything above 700, let alone a 730 and a 750 like you guys so I'll be happy with anything that's around my average score for all my practice exams so far (740)...

My guess would be you're going to get 760+ from your scores.

getienne wrote:
No matter how much I tell myself to slow down during the verbal I always manage to finish the exam with more than 15 minutes left... How do you guys improve your verbal timing?

I do that too, I kind of wish I practiced slowing down for verbal though, even one extra question makes a big difference when your in the 90+ percentiles. I don't have any tips though.
Given Kudos:
Took a gmatprep1 yesterday and got a 770 (Q50, V44). Number of mistakes went down on both sections (5 on quant, 4 on verbal). I wish my exam were this weekend so I could get this over with...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
getienne wrote:
Took a gmatprep1 yesterday and got a 770 (Q50, V44). Number of mistakes went down on both sections (5 on quant, 4 on verbal). I wish my exam were this weekend so I could get this over with...

i have read all the posts on the thread and am really inspired with your scores :-) i am aiming for a score of >= 750! My strength is Quant, so i am concentrating more on verbal. you know, 2 months back i had taken my GRE and endup with a score of 1280(Q800, VA480)and i think new-GRE Verbal was really hard compared to GMAT Verbal!

How much time you have taken for GMAT Prep? And i really appreciate any advice on Verbal?!
Given Kudos:
Hey Ardent! Hopefully I can do as well as these other two on my test. Yeah the GRE verbal basically tests your vocabulary... Too much luck (getting words you know) involved in it... The gmat verbal isn't easier but BETTER in my opinion since it's testing your REASONING skills as opposed to how well you can memorize 3000 words.
I hope I can replicate these scores during the exam... I honestly don't know how much time I've really "spent" on studying so far... But I'd say it's been 2 months now since I started investigating the gmat... I've read the 5 mgmat math guides twice just to learn a the minutiae tested in the exam. I haven't really studied for verbal. My grammar has always been good so SC isn't an issue and my reasoning is also good. RC is a hit or miss depending on the passage (Women's rights always gets me). Most people spend around 2-3 months or 100 hours (excluding CATs) so expect to spend that much if you want to do well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
getienne wrote:
Hey Ardent! Hopefully I can do as well as these other two on my test. Yeah the GRE verbal basically tests your vocabulary... Too much luck (getting words you know) involved in it... The gmat verbal isn't easier but BETTER in my opinion since it's testing your REASONING skills as opposed to how well you can memorize 3000 words.
I hope I can replicate these scores during the exam... I honestly don't know how much time I've really "spent" on studying so far... But I'd say it's been 2 months now since I started investigating the gmat... I've read the 5 mgmat math guides twice just to learn a the minutiae tested in the exam. I haven't really studied for verbal. My grammar has always been good so SC isn't an issue and my reasoning is also good. RC is a hit or miss depending on the passage (Women's rights always gets me). Most people spend around 2-3 months or 100 hours (excluding CATs) so expect to spend that much if you want to do well.

Hello Getienne! I hope you'll replicate the same scores in the actual GMAT :-) Why not, you have an incredible consistency!
Even i have set a target of two months of prep, by the Jan1st week i should be able to take the Test.
My reasoning is fine but when it comes to grammar i am dumb! BUT again with the practice i can improve, as GMAT has very predictable grammar i.e. 8-9principles are enough to sail through SCs. isn't it?!
I haven't taken any full length test yet, i will take one on this weekend and will let you know about it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
getienne wrote:

Hey getienne how is the prep going? What are you doing for your last week?
Given Kudos:
Hey man! Took my last test yesterday at got a 760. Only got 4 wrong (not until the 20s) on Verbal yet got a 42. Oh well... But I'm going over the GmatPrep SC and CR documents this week and doing a few practice problems for math.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5