Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Schools:UCLA, UCI, UCSD, USC
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Re: GMAT 650 PHD ACCOUNTING? [#permalink]
i wouldn't concentrate my efforts on retaking classes from many years ago. You've got several areas to improve and that's the least important at this time in my opinion.

I'd follow busybee's advice except I wouldn't worry as much about the CPA. CPA is more for doing work than researching and teaching classes. I'd concentrate more on GPA for grad school and the GMAT score. You probably want to target at least 700 for the GMAT.

Also what math courses have you taken? If you haven't taken a lot of math, you want to take some of that right away.

Good luck!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
busybee3 wrote:
I'm concerned with both the graduate and undergraduate GPA more than the GMAT score. Assuming you're a recent graduate (based on your work experience), more weight will be placed on your undergraduate GPA and you will have a hard time finding an accredited doctoral program that will accept you with a 2.9 GPA. Unfortunately, mid-tier is not even an option. I'm not familiar with your graduate school, but many graduate programs are guilty of grade inflation, so a 3.5 GPA, while respectable at face value, won't be much in comparison to candidates applying with grad GPAs of 3.8 and above. While adcoms may be willing to overlook one weakness, it's hard to overlook a weak GPA AND a weak GMAT score. I also question your ability to get strong rec letters from academics due to your not so strong academic performance to date.

I'd never suggest that anyone gives up on their dream but to help make yours a reality, I suggest reaching out to your MBA professors and asking to assist them with their research. Quality research experience will often help set you apart from other applicants and provides a source for a strong letter of recommendation. Increase your GMAT score and if at all possible, complete a master's degree that will expose you to advanced math courses and get as close to a 4.0 as possible. Consider taking and passing the CPA (or Chartered Accountant) exam to strengthen your application. And good luck!

There is like 3 research electives... i will probaly take them.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
tom902 wrote:

There is like 3 research electives... i will probaly take them.

Great! And if one of those classes results in you getting published, even better :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT Date: 09-10-2014
GPA: 3.98
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
On the top of what have been mentioned, you definitely need a good math background. Most programs require candidates to have at least clac 2, 3, linear algebra, differential equations, and stat courses.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4383 posts