Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: N.C.C.
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: Darden 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
Sapphire14 wrote:
Has it occured to anyone that there isn't really any space to address the 'Why Darden' and 'Why MBA' questions in the Darden application?

I just realized this, as I was looking over yet another draft of my essays. With the stringent word limits, I am barely able to answer the question asked, let alone mention why I love Darden.

In which part of the application are you showing the love for Darden? Any thoughts?

I spoke with a member of the ADCOM about this. She said "We got tired of reading about how great the case-method was. It was the same response each year. When you come to interview, that's your chance to show off all your Darden knowledge."
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey Folks -

Just wanted to chime in here and offer up some help since Darden is really putting everyone to the test this year. One question? BOLD MOVE. Darden is really forcing applicants to think, to be strategic, and to put their best foot forward. And they're making it harder than most other schools, who offer applicants a few chances to say what they gotta say and show who they are.

So...with all that pressure, what do you? How do you answer? Where do you start?

How about here: https://www.precisionessay.com/2011/08/2 ... nalysis-2/

We dug into the Darden question (deep) and have a few ideas. Hope that's helpful!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Send PM
Quote:
The Round 1 application deadline is October 17, 2011

• If you would like to be considered in Round 1, your application should be submitted by Monday night, October 17th by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time.
• The application is available online.
Have questions? Participate in an online chat:
• Weekly Wednesday Admissions Chats: If you have a question about the application or admissions process, you can instant message with an admissions committee member on Wednesdays from 12:30-1:00 p.m. (EST). Simply login on a Wednesday at 12:30 p.m.
https://dm.darden.virginia.edu/admission ... ssionschat

• Online Chat with Current Students: If you have any questions about the student experience, the case method, what it’s like to live in Charlottesville and more, login on Wednesday, October 12th from 8:30-9:00 p.m. (EST). Two Second Year students on the Student Admissions Committee will be available to answer your questions.
https://dm.darden.virginia.edu/admission ... 011_Oct_12

Should you apply in Round 1?

If you have started the application process and have given yourself enough time to be reflective and thorough, we recommend that you apply in Round 1. We've seen a larger number of applicants apply in Round 2 instead of Round 1 over the last few years, and as a result, Round 2 has become bigger and slightly more competitive. While we use the same admissions criteria no matter which round you apply in, we encourage applicants to apply in Round 1 if possible, when we have not yet given out any scholarships or offers of admission.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2217 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Are there any guidelines for formatting the essays- line spacing etc?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Kudos
gmatpapa wrote:
Are there any guidelines for formatting the essays- line spacing etc?

I do not believe there is any guidelines. What's going to happen is even if you type it out in Word first, when you copy/paste into Simplicity, everything becomes a "wordpad" type of essay. You can go in and put in indentation is you'd like, but single space would certainly be fine (at least that was last year's format). Either way though, it will be the content of the essay(s) that will matter, not the single/double indentation/none.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Send PM
Quote:
In The Economist 2011 ranking of full-time MBA programs, released today, the Darden School has risen to No. 4 in the world, up from No. 11 in 2010. Among North American schools, Darden has risen from No. 7 to No. 3.
Within the criteria, Darden is rated the No. 1 full-time MBA “education experience” in the world. The School is ranked in the Top Five for:
• Opening new career opportunities
• Diversity of recruiters
• Student assessment of career services
• Personal development and educational experience
• Faculty quality
• Alumni effectiveness
• Facilities
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.03
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hey all,

Getting ready to submit that app. For some reason the online app will not save the address of the recommender. Is anyone else experiencing this? Any fixes? Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
fuji wrote:
Hey all,

Getting ready to submit that app. For some reason the online app will not save the address of the recommender. Is anyone else experiencing this? Any fixes? Thanks

Is the address even required? I submitted another app without any of that stuff. Just the Recommenders' names and emails.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2217 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
MSDHONI wrote:
Is Toefl mandatory for an MBA in Darden? If one can get a waiver then what are the conditions??

here:

Quote:
English Language Proficiency
Darden’s MBA Program is built upon an immersive learning experience that requires public speaking, group discussion and active class participation. To succeed, students must possess a highly developed proficiency in written and oral English. Darden will accept English testing scores from either The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Use the following guidelines to determine whether or not you need to take one of these exams:

Not Required: Candidates who received their bachelor's degree from a university where the medium of instruction was English are not required to take an English language assessment test (i.e., they are exempt).
Required: Candidates who received their bachelor's degree from a university where the medium of instruction was not English are required to take an English language assessment test.
Strongly Recommended: Candidates who received their bachelor's degree from a university where the medium of instruction was not English, but received a master's or PhD degree from a university where the medium of instruction was English, are strongly encouraged to take an English language assessment test.
Darden does not have a minimum score requirement, but the average TOEFL is 106. TOEFL scores are valid for two years from the test date.

Candidates who are required to take the TOEFL or IELTS must have received at least their unofficial scores prior to submitting their application. Both overall and component test scores must be reported on the application form. All applicants must request that ETS (for the TOEFL) and/or IELTS send official copies of their scores to Darden. The Darden School of Business code for TOEFL is 5820 Dept. 02 and the code for IELTS is 5099. To obtain information about these tests, visit www.toefl.org or www.ielts.org.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ya..Got it on Darden's website..Thanks for your help though...
gmatpapa wrote:
MSDHONI wrote:
Is Toefl mandatory for an MBA in Darden? If one can get a waiver then what are the conditions??

here:

Quote:
English Language Proficiency
Darden’s MBA Program is built upon an immersive learning experience that requires public speaking, group discussion and active class participation. To succeed, students must possess a highly developed proficiency in written and oral English. Darden will accept English testing scores from either The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Use the following guidelines to determine whether or not you need to take one of these exams:

Not Required: Candidates who received their bachelor's degree from a university where the medium of instruction was English are not required to take an English language assessment test (i.e., they are exempt).
Required: Candidates who received their bachelor's degree from a university where the medium of instruction was not English are required to take an English language assessment test.
Strongly Recommended: Candidates who received their bachelor's degree from a university where the medium of instruction was not English, but received a master's or PhD degree from a university where the medium of instruction was English, are strongly encouraged to take an English language assessment test.
Darden does not have a minimum score requirement, but the average TOEFL is 106. TOEFL scores are valid for two years from the test date.

Candidates who are required to take the TOEFL or IELTS must have received at least their unofficial scores prior to submitting their application. Both overall and component test scores must be reported on the application form. All applicants must request that ETS (for the TOEFL) and/or IELTS send official copies of their scores to Darden. The Darden School of Business code for TOEFL is 5820 Dept. 02 and the code for IELTS is 5099. To obtain information about these tests, visit https://www.toefl.org or https://www.ielts.org.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Submitted my application today..I am done with all planned R1 applications for these year..Now, it is time to sit on the reclining chair & sip STELLA ARTOIS 8-) ..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
For those whose managers have posted recommendations...do you see a "Recommendation submitted" next to your manager's name?

My manager had submitted her recommendation, and in my application, I still see a "Recommendation not yet submitted". With the deadline on Monday, I am a little worried. Can someone confirm what you're seeing in your application?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: General Management
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Yep, this is what it says:
Bob Smith: Recommendation submitted on 2011-10-11 at 17:35:21

Best of luck
Manager
Manager
Send PM
My application is showing the status of recommendations like this

You might want to talk with your recommender...

mrdarden wrote:
For those whose managers have posted recommendations...do you see a "Recommendation submitted" next to your manager's name?

My manager had submitted her recommendation, and in my application, I still see a "Recommendation not yet submitted". With the deadline on Monday, I am a little worried. Can someone confirm what you're seeing in your application?

Originally posted by MSDHONI on 15 Oct 2011, 09:43.
Last edited by MSDHONI on 15 Oct 2011, 09:53, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
@MSDHONI, no image visible.

@LionsSBC12, thanks.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Sorry there was some glitch..It's fixed now..

mrdarden wrote:
@MSDHONI, no image visible.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Out of curiosity...

Is anyone attending Discover Darden event???
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  57   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts