Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:59 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [1]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Official Business School Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink]
shy7013 wrote:
Hi Matthew,

I was invited to conduct interview with an alumni. But I was unable to schedule an interview within 2 weeks because I have to undergo some medical treatment next week. I can only set my interview date at early November, when is nearly 1 month after my interview notification. I know the interview is recommended to be conducted within two weeks. Do you think this delay will affect my chance of admission. Do I need to email the adcom to state my situation?

Thank you very much and look forward to your reply.

Shy

Dear Shy,

Thank you for your question. I suggest contacting us directly about this. You can direct your e-mail to apply@gsb.columbia.edu and we will help you with next steps.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Matthew Moll
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Twitter: @ColumbiaMBA
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
ColumbiaMBA wrote:
shy7013 wrote:
Hi Matthew,

I was invited to conduct interview with an alumni. But I was unable to schedule an interview within 2 weeks because I have to undergo some medical treatment next week. I can only set my interview date at early November, when is nearly 1 month after my interview notification. I know the interview is recommended to be conducted within two weeks. Do you think this delay will affect my chance of admission. Do I need to email the adcom to state my situation?

Thank you very much and look forward to your reply.

Shy

Dear Shy,

Thank you for your question. I suggest contacting us directly about this. You can direct your e-mail to apply@gsb.columbia.edu and we will help you with next steps.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Matthew Moll
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions

Hi Mattew, thanks for your reply. I have e-mailed the admissions and look forward to your reply. Hope my delay won't ruin my chance of admission. Thank you very much.

Best,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
Send PM
If I've run my own business for the last couple of years, does it make sense to have a client to write a recommendation? I ask because the instructions specify a direct supervisor or a senior professional associate for both recommendations. I can get both recommendations from a previous employer, but I thought that including a recommendation from a current client might provide an interesting perspective.
Send PM
Kudos
newbed wrote:
If I've run my own business for the last couple of years, does it make sense to have a client to write a recommendation? I ask because the instructions specify a direct supervisor or a senior professional associate for both recommendations. I can get both recommendations from a previous employer, but I thought that including a recommendation from a current client might provide an interesting perspective.

Hi newbed,

Thank you for your question. Yes it makes sense to have a client submit a recommendation. This is certainly an acceptable professional rec.

Regards,

Matthew Moll
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hi Matt,

Thank you for being on this forum and offering friendly Q&A. I am sure everyone here greatly appreciates this.

I am an international J-term applicant. I had my alumni interview ~1.5 weeks ago and have not had an update on my application status since. From reading on this forum, I have learned that most people proceed from the actual interview to "interview complete" status within a couple days. Is there anything I can/should do in my situation?

Thanks again and hope to hear from you soon!
Send PM
Kudos
bryroro wrote:
Hi Matt,

Thank you for being on this forum and offering friendly Q&A. I am sure everyone here greatly appreciates this.

I am an international J-term applicant. I had my alumni interview ~1.5 weeks ago and have not had an update on my application status since. From reading on this forum, I have learned that most people proceed from the actual interview to "interview complete" status within a couple days. Is there anything I can/should do in my situation?

Thanks again and hope to hear from you soon!

Hi bryroro - This means we are waiting for your interviewer to submit their interview report. We are in contact with interviewers regarding this, so you do not need to take any further action at this time.

Good luck!

Matthew Moll
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Thank you Matt.

It is most comforting to hear this!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi, checking out the apps, why does Columbia ask for a picture?
How is the picture used during and after admissions season?
Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Send PM
I can't verify why they ask for a photo but having applied and been admitted... I think it's honestly just to put a face with a profile... makes your whole application much more personal and removes the "just a number" feel for many applicants.

For reference, lots of us overanalyzed the whole photo idea... suit, no suit, casual, etc. I don't think you should worry about it unless you have poor judgement ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Mr. Moll,

Should an applicant (okay, me) update admissions if there was a change to information provided in his or her application- a material pay increase for example? I don't want to start filling CBS' inbox with petty changes to pending applications so want to run this by you first.

Thank you sir.
Send PM
sda wrote:
Hi, checking out the apps, why does Columbia ask for a picture?
How is the picture used during and after admissions season?
Thanks.

Hi sda,

We want to put a face with the application! It is totally optional and, like all parts of the application, completely confidential. We do not use the picture outside of the application process.

Good luck,

Matthew Moll
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Send PM
2013hopeful wrote:
Mr. Moll,

Should an applicant (okay, me) update admissions if there was a change to information provided in his or her application- a material pay increase for example? I don't want to start filling CBS' inbox with petty changes to pending applications so want to run this by you first.

Thank you sir.

Hi 2013hopeful,

Yes you should e-mail us this update. We will add the new information to your already submitted file.

Thank you for the question!

Matthew Moll
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
ColumbiaMBA wrote:
2013hopeful wrote:
Mr. Moll,

Thank you sir.

Hi 2013hopeful,

Yes you should e-mail us this update. We will add the new information to your already submitted file.

Thank you for the question!

Matthew Moll
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions

Thank you. I e-mailed the details to apply@gsb.columbia.edu
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.23
WE:Asset Management (Other)
Send PM
Hi Matt,
I'm in the process of choosing recommenders and believe that my work supervisor and the executive director of my volunteer organization would give the admissions board a better-rounded picture of me as an applicant, as opposed to having both recommendations coming from the workplace. Is it possible to have the 2nd recommender be someone from an extracurricular activity that knows me well and has worked with me for 2+ years?

I know the Columbia website indicates 2 professional references, so I just wanted to double check with you.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1372 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE:Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
I have Two questions......

1.I want to know How is Columbia GSB different from other business schools?

2.I have 2.5 Years Exp in a software industry and i have 86.5% in my 10th standard,88% in my high school and 81.1 in my under-graduation where do i stand in getting into Columbia GSB , and with my academics what is the required Gmat score to get into this business school?

Thanks in advance.........
Send PM
Gumbymc wrote:
Hi Matt,
I'm in the process of choosing recommenders and believe that my work supervisor and the executive director of my volunteer organization would give the admissions board a better-rounded picture of me as an applicant, as opposed to having both recommendations coming from the workplace. Is it possible to have the 2nd recommender be someone from an extracurricular activity that knows me well and has worked with me for 2+ years?

I know the Columbia website indicates 2 professional references, so I just wanted to double check with you.

Thanks!

Hi Gumbymc,

Thank you for your question. We prefer professional recommendations; however who you choose is completely up to you. Recommenders should be able to give insight toward your professional promise and capacity for graduate business study. If you feel someone from your volunteer organization can speak to this then they are probably a suitable recommendation.

Good luck!

Matthew Moll
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
Send PM
kotela wrote:
I have Two questions......

1.I want to know How is Columbia GSB different from other business schools?

2.I have 2.5 Years Exp in a software industry and i have 86.5% in my 10th standard,88% in my high school and 81.1 in my under-graduation where do i stand in getting into Columbia GSB , and with my academics what is the required Gmat score to get into this business school?

Thanks in advance.........

Thank you for your questions. For your first, I suggest speaking to current students so that you are able to get a better sense of what Columbia has to offer. You can contact current students at https://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/admiss ... actstudent. These are students who work with Admissions to answer prospective student questions. Also, if possible, I suggest visiting campus. There is no better way to find out what Columbia Business School is like and to see if Columbia is the right fit for you.

Unfortunately, I cannot speak to your chances as an applicant. As for the GMAT we do not have a minimum requirement, but last year the middle 80 percent of admitted students scored between a 680 and a 760.

Good luck!

Matthew Moll
Assistant Director
MBA Admissions
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  23   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert