Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:MIT Sloan (LGO)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.7
WE:Research (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Re: 2012 MIT Sloan Leaders for Global Operations (LGO) Thread [#permalink]
Wow - Good insights on the program.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Operations
WE:Operations (Transportation)
Send PM
:)

Originally posted by fsaq on 06 Sep 2011, 11:33.
Last edited by fsaq on 13 Oct 2011, 10:02, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:MIT Sloan (LGO)
Send PM
fsaq wrote:
Hi all,

I would like to reapply to LGO this year. I am wondering if stating that you want to focus on an industry that has nothing to do with the partner companies will hurt my application. I work on the Airline industry and I want to focus on the Airline industry after LGO. Given that LGO has no airlines as partner companies (there are plenty of aeronautics and aerospace companies, but no actual airlines), will it be counterproductive to mention that in my application?

I have heard the "be yourself" before when you write your essay, but I am not sure if LGO is looking for people passionate about operations that do not relate to what any of the partner companies do. After all, LGO partner companies hope to hire LGOs when they graduate.

Should I even consider reapplying?

Hello fsaq,

I don't think I'm the most appropiate person to reply, but I remember having read in some LGO blog, not long ago, a LGO student speaking about a very interesting subject related to airline traffic optimization or the like. Although in the webpage it is stated that LGO students should have the good faith to consider LGO partner companies first, nothing tells you if in two years an airline traffic company may join the program or that eventually you can find a job within a related partner company in such fields. In any case I think it is best to be honest and maybe even that can give you an edge.

For instance, I am a manufacturing manager managing a factory with 50 people and, although my profile is much more LGO-like, I think you already have some advantatge in regards of uniqueness! :P

GOOD LUCK, hope to so you in (if we both make it!)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Operations
WE:Operations (Transportation)
Send PM
LGOdream wrote:
Hello fsaq,

I don't think I'm the most appropiate person to reply, but I remember having read in some LGO blog, not long ago, a LGO student speaking about a very interesting subject related to airline traffic optimization or the like. Although in the webpage it is stated that LGO students should have the good faith to consider LGO partner companies first, nothing tells you if in two years an airline traffic company may join the program or that eventually you can find a job within a related partner company in such fields. In any case I think it is best to be honest and maybe even that can give you an edge.

For instance, I am a manufacturing manager managing a factory with 50 people and, although my profile is much more LGO-like, I think you already have some advantatge in regards of uniqueness! :P

GOOD LUCK, hope to so you in (if we both make it!)

I hope we both get in! I did see that note about Airline Optimizations ( i think it had to do with Revenue management) but I remember talking to an LGO during ambassador's day this past October and she was the only LGO to work for an Airline (ELAL Airlines I believe). She mentioned that in all of Sloan only her and another guy from the Phillipines were the only airliners in the MBA program.

Even though MIT has the Airline Industry Consortium which is supposed to work on innovating all aspects of airlines worldwide, it seems strange that only 2 people in Sloan came from airlines (I am assumming they will stay in the same industry post-MBA/LGO). I don't know, the more I think about it, the more I believe this is a weakness in my application. Specially since there are no airlines as partner companies. During ambassador's day I spoke to an LGO who mentioned that a rep from each partner company is invited as part of the admissions board and it seems highly likely that my background will not be looked upon generously.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hi fsaq, LGOdream,

I would like to chime in briefly on your debate. More specifically, I would like to point out that LGO frequently is adding new partner companies (in fact, we have added Nike and MAG in the past month or so).

Additionally, we (as students) are given the opportunity to join committees that have a large bearing on the management and direction of the LGO program. I would recommend researching the committees further and seeing if you could leave a positive impact on LGO by taking an active role on these committees (the New Partners Committee for your interest) and perhaps working to add an airline to the list of partner companies.

Additionally, as a I assume you are aware, MIT is home to some of the world's greatest researchers on the airlines and flight safety. In fact, we had one of these exceptional professors as an instructor for a summer class-it was awesome.

As always, Bob and I are open to any further clarification and to answer any additional questions.

-Zach
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT Date: 05-15-2012
GPA: 3.5
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi,
I am an international applicant. I am planing to apply to LGO this year. I would like to know if international work experience counts significantly in the admission process. Also, could you elaborate on how the diversity in the LGO class compares to that in the MBA class?
Thanks! :)
Current Student
Send PM
Hi guys,

I wanted to try to answer a few of the questions that have snuck by me here. I used to get an email notification every time somebody posted, but that seems to have stopped for some reason. I didn't change any settings or preferences, so when I wasn't seeing emails, I assumed it was because nobody was posting. I see now that I was wrong! Sorry about that.

Anyway, kobtain12, to answer your question about age, I would say that you should absolutely consider applying. It sounds like your background is perfect for LGO, and your experience can add quite a bit of insight in class discussions compared to a student with only two or three years in the workplace. We have several students in LGO well into their 30's, and one or two that are knocking on the door to 40, so I wouldn't feel at all like this isn't the right program for you.

fsaq - If you think that your application has improved over the past year, I would definitely encourage you to re-apply. Regarding your interest in airlines, I'd have to agree with what Zach has posted; We don't have any airlines as partners now, but the aerospace industry is a huge focus of LGO. The larger MIT community has quite a few experts in the field, as well. If your passion is in airline operations, my personal advice would be to let that shine through, regardless of LGO's nominal involvement in the industry.

gunnertv - It's great to hear that you're planning on applying! International work experience is definitely something that can help your application to stand out. I don't think it will count significantly MORE than domestic US work experience, but it's something that makes you unique, so that's definitely something you can work with. The diversity of the LGO class is wonderful, although from an international-student perspective, it doesn't compete with the larger Sloan community. Our Sloan MBA Class of 2013 is nearly 40% international, while our LGO Class of 2013 is around 10% international. (This is largely due to the policy that LGO Partner Companies prefer US work authorization upon graduation.)

Hope that helps, guys! I'll be sure to check back often, especially if I can't get my notification emails active again!

Bob
Current Student
Send PM
Hi Everybody,

If you're considering applying to LGO this application cycle, I wanted to take a minute to encourage everyone to consider coming to MIT for LGO Ambassador Day. It's a tremendously informative event for a prospective applicant and a great opportunity to learn more about the program, meet some current students, and interact with the LGO staff and faculty.

You can read more about Ambassador Day here:

https://lgo-blog.mit.edu/2011/09/lgo-amb ... ation.html

Cheers!
Bob
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
Send PM
Hi Bob & Zach,

Many thanks for starting this thread.

I am planning to apply to LGO this year. I am BE Mechanical 2005 from Delhi University, worked with Cummins & Timken for about 4 years in various functions - Operations, R&D Engg, Sales. In 2009, I started consulting company with a partner, into Business Performance Transformation, Productivity Improvement & Business Strategy especially for Manufacturing, Infrastructure & Energy. We have established a good clientle in the company. However, I plan to work more on New Product Development, or Program Management and Resource Optimization
I am an international student, and unfortunately don't have a work permit for US or even Europe. I went through the Engineering Tracks, and I liked ESD and AeroAstro. Since I don't have much background in AeroAstro, would it make sense to apply for AeroAstro?
When I was going through the Engg Tracks, I could see some focus on Design & Innovation (I also saw it in the blogs, faculty profiles and projects). Would I be able to focus on Innovation and Sustainability, as that is a priority for me?
How does the Summer Internship shape up the program? Do students usually get absorbed in the companies where the do the summer? Is there a possibility of getting picked up by a partner company even before the summer internship?
I am planning to attend Ambassador Day on Nov. 7. I got in touch with Leah & Ashleigh for this. Hope to see you then

Many thanks for helping me out,
Current Student
Send PM
Hi rajadi,

Thanks for your questions. It sounds like you have a very interesting background.

To answer some of your queries:

- Keep in mind when applying to an Engineering track, you need to be accepted by that Engineering department. This means that your application will be in the same pile as everyone else applying for a Masters degree in that field. So if you feel that you can submit a competitive application to AeroAstro, and that's what interests you most, I'd say go for it. Just keep your background (and your competition's backgrounds) in mind when you do so.

- You can definitely focus on Innovation and Sustainability within both Sloan and your Engineering department. I'd probably recommend the ESD track, if this field is your intended area of study.

- Regarding internships, students can select to work either off-cycle (Jan - June) or on-cycle (July - December). About 80% or so of the students select to work on-cycle, for various reasons (recruiting, class availability, internships offered, etc.). Some students do receive offers from their internship companies, and decide to work there, but it is certainly not required. Nobody receives a formal offer before completing an internship. I also believe that there are no formal offers extended during the internship, either.

Hope that helps! See you at Ambassador Day on 11/7.

Bob
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
Send PM
Hi Bob,

Many thanks for your responses & encouraging words. They really help! I seriously hope to make it to LGO, as for my preferences even Stanford MBA doesn't come close to it

In fact, on research and from their tweets, I have started to like ESD. I am going to apply to ESD only. My interest in AeroAstro is just limited to the fact that anything that has motion fascinates me. So my first love has been engines and I feel there is enough opportunity in ESD to pursue my love for engines and motion (transport, logistics, automation etc.)

Hope to see you on Ambassador Day.

Thanks,
Rajiv
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi Bob,
Thanks for such a useful post.
I want to know that if we are not selected for LGO and our application is considered for MBA program,is there any bias when compared to those who apply for MBA,during evaluation for MBA?
Secondly,can you tell me what are my chances of getting into LGO ? My details are:

Female,24,India
GMAT- 720 (QA-51,VA-38)
Under graduation- B.Tech in Electrical Engineering with GPA 8.4 on a scale of 10 ,from a reputed National Institute of Technology,India.
Work Ex- 26 Months (As of Sept 2011) in India,s largest and World,s 6th largest power producer -NTPC (National Thermal Power Corporation) which is known worldwide for its operational excellence.Moreover I got the opportunity to work in NTPC,s and Indias first Super critical Power Station.
My long term goal is to venture into renewable energy based power plant of my own.Therefore I want to get into LGO which will provide me best of both worlds,technology and management, which i consider very crucial for achievement of my goal.
I do not have any international experience.

It will be very kind of you to evaluate my profile and give suggestions
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: Sloan '14 (S)
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Bob, Zach - thanks for your opinions and answers.
A few question's:
1. I visited the the LGO ambassador last year, when i was scouting various programs, and I have spoken to some current students and some alumni and consider LGO as the only program worth quitting my current fulltime job and go back to school. Is there any value in attending the Ambassador day this time also - considering I am applying this year?
2. I am interested in Product Development/Marketing in tech industry post LGO [if i get in]. I am currently in the Semiconductor Industry with almost 9 years of experience & already have an MS in EE. I have looked at ESD - Systems Engineering, Mengg - Manufacturing, EE - Semiconductor & Information and Decision Systems [the EE one's i am not sure if I can pursue with an MS in EE already - is that correct?]. What would you recommend & are either of you in any of these tracks?
3. My GMAT score is 680, i know the average last year was 710, which means there were a few people with score less than 710 in the program. Would it help to spend some time to improve the score by another 40 points [if i spend 3 weeks, i might be able to improve by 30-40 points] or just spend the effort on application [essays]?

I am an international with PR, currently working in a partner company, my academics are not stellar - just to complete the profile.
Thanks!

go lgo!!
Current Student
Send PM
Hi Edream,

Thanks for your questions. Here are some related thoughts:

1.) If it's possible for you to attend the Ambassador Day, I would always recommend it. However, if it's a huge inconvenience (far to travel, difficult to leave work, etc.), it's probably not that big of a deal, especially considering you attended last year. The content will be largely the same as last year's.

2.) LGO is an Operations/Supply Chain driven program, so if your passion lies in Marketing, it might actually not be for you. I view product development (from a technical/engineering perspective) and marketing as two distinct tracks, and the traditional MBA would probably allow you more flexibility to take depth courses in marketing - just something to think about.

3.) GMAT scores are important, but they're not the only thing to consider in your application. As a student, I have no real insight into how the admissions team evaluates applications, so I can't really give you any specifics on what an additional 30 points would do for your application, but higher is obviously always better. I think what's most important, though, is to be sure that your personal interests and values come through in your application, rather than spending all of your time trying to stand out quantitatively (GMAT, GPA, etc.).

Hope that helps, and good luck with the application process!

Bob
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi All,

I want to post about MIT-LGO's Ambassador day (the main visit day). It is a great time to see if MIT-LGO is a good fit for you and experience a day in the life of a LGO.

So, heres the info:

Event: Experience MIT Leaders for Global Operations, Ambassador Day and Information Evening
Where: MIT
Date: Monday, November 7, 2011
Time: 10:00AM-5:30PM
RSVP: Email lgo@mit.edu.

The following blog has much more detail about the event: https://lgo-blog.mit.edu/2011/09/lgo-ambassador-day-and-information.html

Hope to see you there,
Zach
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi Bob! Your initiative is very helpfull. Please, coud you put some light on my doubts?

My name is Rodrigo and I've been reading about LGO Program for a long time. I'm really amazed about the Program and how it is developed, and I'm very keen on applying for it. Although, I still have some concerns about it.

I'm 29 years old and current working as Engine Production Superintendent at Ford Motor Company, in Brazil. I intent to continue developing my career in the Automotive Industry. So, to take part in MIT LOG program would certainly add me some great experience, besides, gaining an extraordinary knowledge on Operations field, what would help me to be prepared for Senior Positions. At the same time, I'm uncertain about how hard it would be to return to an Automotive Company after being 2 years off.
Do the Great Automotive companies recruit LGO students? I read that Ford is no longer a LGO Partner Company, but GM still is. Is it true that GM is active in this partnership?
Here in Brazil, the Automotive Companies, such as: Ford, GM and Volkswagen do not hire MBA graduates for Operations or Engineering Management positions ( which is the focus of LGO Program, I believe ), they prefer to promote internal employees. Do you think that it would be possible for me to be hired by an Automotive Company in USA ( being a Brazilian without a USA work permitt )?
Also, is it possible to get in touch with some of LGO Alumni that developed their career in Automotive Industry? Do you know any Brazilian that took part in LGO Program and that I might get in touch?

Thank you very much!
Current Student
Send PM
Hi Rodrigo,

Very interesting questions here - thanks for posting.

Regarding the opportunity to recruit into the Automotive industry after grad school, I think your opportunity here at LGO would be at least as high as at any other MBA program. Keep in mind that you can recruit formally through LGO (GM is still an active partner company), informally through the LGO alumni network (lots of alums working at many of the major auto manufacturers), and formally through MIT Sloan (I believe the big three recruit here, as well). I'm not sure, however, how your work authorization status would affect hiring in the US - that's not really my area of expertise. You might be able to get some more information from either the LGO or Sloan Admissions teams.

I will see what I can do about putting you in touch with an alumni that aligns with your situation. I'm not sure what the policy is on directly connecting prospectives with alumni, but I'll certainly check that out.

Hope that helps to answer some of your questions.

Best regards,
Bob
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  14   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts