Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.76
WE:Science (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: Sloan 2012 - Calling MBA All Applicants [#permalink]
so for the essays, specifically the 'name a time you had someone accept an idea', how anal do you think adcom will be on the 3 year rule? if you keep the other essays within 3 years and you have ONE that leaks out to ~4 or 5 years do you think thats horrible and theyll slam you? i think its a great response and would rather do a great response that violates the 3 year rule a bit than put a crap response. also, to build off that, do you think tis better to connect it to something more recent to make that 3 year violation less harsh or do you think it should just focus on that ONE event and not violate two things in the question? ;)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
shorttheworld wrote:
so for the essays, specifically the 'name a time you had someone accept an idea', how anal do you think adcom will be on the 3 year rule? if you keep the other essays within 3 years and you have ONE that leaks out to ~4 or 5 years do you think thats horrible and theyll slam you? i think its a great response and would rather do a great response that violates the 3 year rule a bit than put a crap response. also, to build off that, do you think tis better to connect it to something more recent to make that 3 year violation less harsh or do you think it should just focus on that ONE event and not violate two things in the question? ;)

It's probably a judgment call. They probably aren't going to be sleuthing your application to pinpoint exactly when something happened; unless it's blatantly an example from long ago, or unless you specifically state '4 years ago, i was facing a situation...' then they're probably not going to give it much thought.

My take on it is they implemented the 3 year rule to avoid 'this one time in high school' stories. As long as your story is relevant and within a reasonable time-frame, you might be ok.

Or, maybe they have a strict cutoff of 3 years; might be a risk.
Manager
Manager
Status:Do not worry. You are not going to get out of this world alive anyway :)
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GPA: 3.89
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
spacecurves wrote:
Whew, application submitted! That was my last one, now I just have to wait and hope for interviews.

Welcome back to real life :)

The applications sucked every ounce of my time outside of work :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Not too happy with how one of my essays turned out, so I decided to wait it out and apply for r2. Any of you guys decided to skip R1 and apply for R2? Is this normal?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
SOMguy wrote:
Not too happy with how one of my essays turned out, so I decided to wait it out and apply for r2. Any of you guys decided to skip R1 and apply for R2? Is this normal?

Not sure how common, but I decided the same thing..

Congrats and good luck to all who submitted R1!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Submitted last night.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
shorttheworld wrote:

I actually called MIT this morning about this because I didn't see this requirement until last night. They said to, 'use your best judgement'. I'm not sure if that helps at all.

I have one essay that takes place in the spring of 2008 and one that starts in the fall of 2007 and carries into 2008. My 'best judgement' is going to be working overtime the next few hours to decide whether or not to submit.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
How come there is such little activity on the Sloan thread (compared to similar threads for other schools). Is this consistent with previous years or can we expect fewer applicants at Sloan.
Manager
Manager
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
A last minutes question... the deadline is 12 pm pacific standard time or 8om GMT. But 12 pm PST is equal to 7pm GMT. So what should be considered as the deadline?
I have used https://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone to convert time to the standards.
I will be one of the last minute submitters, so knowing this would help a lot!!
Any idea?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Send PM
nowwhat,

We are currently observing Daylight Savings Time in the US so our clocks are 1 hour ahead of in the winter time. Thus, Pacific time is currently 7 hrs behind GMT rather than 8.

However, the MIT website says to submit by 1200 Pacific Standard Time (not Daylight Savings Time) so you should be able to submit by 2000 GMT.

I wouldn't wait that long though!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.3
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Submitted. Good luck everyone.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE:Engineering (Health Care)
Send PM
Vindex wrote:
shorttheworld wrote:

I actually called MIT this morning about this because I didn't see this requirement until last night. They said to, 'use your best judgement'. I'm not sure if that helps at all.

I have one essay that takes place in the spring of 2008 and one that starts in the fall of 2007 and carries into 2008. My 'best judgement' is going to be working overtime the next few hours to decide whether or not to submit.

I'd say use it, 3 years is an arbitrary number and they know it. If it was an absolute requirement, they would say "it's 3 years or nothing"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE:Engineering (Health Care)
Send PM
stanforditis wrote:
spacecurves wrote:
Whew, application submitted! That was my last one, now I just have to wait and hope for interviews.

Welcome back to real life :)

The applications sucked every ounce of my time outside of work :(

it's sucked my time during work too
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I had asked the admission committee on the three year rule. The admission committee replied:

"The "three year rule" for essays is meant to be a strong suggestion so that we don't get essays from a long time ago."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Concentration: Leadership, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 2.9
WE:Other (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
I was also confused abt the 3 year limit for essays and asked in one of the chat session if i can use an example 3.5 years back. i was told 3 years is a strong suggestion and there shouldnt be any problem with 3.5 years.
submitted for R1 today. feeling very relaxed and all set to enjoy the big indian festival of diwali tomorrow.
i also asked abt number of applicants last year in the chat. i was told 4400 applicants applied last year across 2 rounds of which around 25% were called for an interview for final batch of 400.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Application submitted..six minutes before deadline..i dont know why i dragged this app to the last day and the last minute..now i need something for this headache.. :).. good luck to everyone..
Manager
Manager
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Submitted - just in time!!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  45   
Moderators: