Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:NYU Stern - Class of 2013
 Q48  V44
WE 1: Nonprofit / international development (4 years)
WE 2: Consulting internship - MBB
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:NYU Stern - Class of 2013
 Q48  V44
WE 1: Nonprofit / international development (4 years)
WE 2: Consulting internship - MBB
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Real Estate, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Stern '13
Send PM
Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
MCE7 wrote:
doolittle wrote:
I'm reluctant to give an answer on this as I don't want to tell you the wrong thing - I'd suggest either calling the Admissions Office or contacting one of the Ambassadors who should get back to you pretty quickly.

I asked that question at the info session.

The short answer is yes; applications are reviewed as soon as they are received, and the deadlines are only there to let you know when is the latest you could hear an answer.

Also, I was told that there is no benefit in applying early (which is weird in an rolling admission process) - I'm still not sold on that one. Hope this helps.

I'd apply a few days before the deadline just to get around the large group at the tail end. It shouldn't matter much though whether you apply now vs. Nov 1st.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Stern '13 (M)
Send PM
Unless they changed it from last year, which I don't think they did. Stern does a "semi"-rolling process.

What I mean by that is no app is reviewed until the deadline so there is no benefit to applying early. However once the deadline passes they will begin reviewing application and sending out interview invites and acceptances on a rolling basis. So some people might get an interview invite 3 weeks after the deadline, some people might not get an invite until a few months later.

Hope that helps.

-J
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Consulting (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Targeting Rd1... Gud luk all :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Stern PT '16
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
Hello everyone! Just joined the GMAT club and must say, I am very impressed and can't imagine taking the GMAT's without the GMATCLUB. I have a question that I am hoping someone can assist me with - I only decided to pursue my MBA degree about a week or two ago and I am now questioning whether I am too late for the FALL 2012 class. I plan on applying for the Part-time program with hopes of taking the GMAT in February (3 months of gmat studying). After reading through the thread I noticed mention of different application "rounds", which to my understanding are more of reference as to when one can expect a response. Simply put, am I too late to the Fall 2012 program? with the amount of studying I would like to get in and the actual application process itself...I guess I can reduce my study time but..I'm shooting for a 700+ score...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.03
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hello All,

In for r 1 as a re-applicant. WL/Ding last year. They make is pretty easy for re-applicants: only 1 essay and recommendation.

One question I have is do you guys know where one would upload the transcript for additional courses taken. The online application has two sections: undergrad and grad transcripts. I took a stats class and its not exactly undergrad or graduate, just continuing ed. Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I asked a bunch of questions to cwhs and he pm'ed some answers so I wanted to post them here if anyone was interested:

1) what is the culture like at NYU? is it competitive? or more coopetitive? How would it compare to Columbia (in your opinion)
I would definitely say coopetitive. We are all obviously vying for the same jobs yet there isn't a visible competition among the folks. We are actually trained very hard to be nice, so it works well. It would be unfair for me to compare us to Columbia since I'm not there, but if you do some research you can form an opinion about that.

2) Is it difficult to get into classes with Aswath Damodaran or Nouriel Roubini? How does that work ?
Roubini is out this year, so I don't know if it'll be difficult to get his classes. Damodaran on the other hand is easy to get. His classes have hundreds of people and are usually conducted in auditorium size classrooms. I think Stern is good with making sure that people who want to see the "star" professors get a chance to do so.

3) Do you think the school's location helps/hurts the 'NYU community' for example is the community disjointed or do you miss out on the community feeling because of the school's location?
It definitely helps the community. People are incredibly tight knit for a school that's in the middle of the largest city in the US. We go to a lot of happy hours and dinners together.

4) How hard are classes (extremely subjective I know)?
You are dealing with a lot of very smart classmates, so the classes are a bit tougher and it's not easy to get an A. That being said, there are lots of sources of support if you need. If you are dedicated to a class you will get an A. That might mean you give up an A on another class though, especially if you are recruiting for a time-intensive career like i-banking.

5) Does NYU have a preterm refresher class ?
Yes, they have them for stats, math, and accounting. I am assuming you already know about the summer start program. If you don't, you might want to look into it, it's a great opportunity to get acquainted to school before all the recruiting starts. For full disclosure, I didn't summer start but I heard good things about it.

Thanks !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
I've got a few questions for the current students (or anyone else who may know). I originally intended to apply in R1 but don't think I'll have a solid application ready in time. Can you guys help me with the following questions:

1) Stern's website says R1 applicants are given priority consideration to merit scholarships. How much of an advantage do they have? For example, are 75% of scholarships typically awarded to R1 applicants?

2)Is there an advantage to applying earlier in R2 (e.g., December 1 vs. January 15)? I'm still confused by Stern's concept of rolling admissions. Do they review earlier applications first, or do they simply render decisions on a rolling basis (regardless of when you submitted)?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gpb14 wrote:
I've got a few questions for the current students (or anyone else who may know). I originally intended to apply in R1 but don't think I'll have a solid application ready in time. Can you guys help me with the following questions:

1) Stern's website says R1 applicants are given priority consideration to merit scholarships. How much of an advantage do they have? For example, are 75% of scholarships typically awarded to R1 applicants?

2)Is there an advantage to applying earlier in R2 (e.g., December 1 vs. January 15)? I'm still confused by Stern's concept of rolling admissions. Do they review earlier applications first, or do they simply render decisions on a rolling basis (regardless of when you submitted)?

Thanks!

1). Of students with Stern scholarships I talked to, all of them received them in R1. I think Stern gives the majority of the scholarships out in R1 partly because R2 is so late in the year and they need to be competitive with other schools so if you are applying in R2 you will need to be really good or really lucky to get one. I would encourage you to apply in R1 if at all possible.

2). What I have been told was that no applications are looked at until the deadline for that round. I know that is the case for R1, but not as sure about R2. I seem to recall someone last year getting an interview invite for R2 before the R2 deadline, but I that person had someone "important" (no idea who) call the school. I would recommend contacting the admissions office for a definitive answer. I am fairly sure they will say they do not review apps until after the deadline.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
SalarymanJ wrote:
2). What I have been told was that no applications are looked at until the deadline for that round. I know that is the case for R1, but not as sure about R2. I seem to recall someone last year getting an interview invite for R2 before the R2 deadline, but I that person had someone "important" (no idea who) call the school. I would recommend contacting the admissions office for a definitive answer. I am fairly sure they will say they do not review apps until after the deadline.

Thanks for the quick reply. To clarify further, my question isn't whether they review them prior to the deadline (I'm assuming they don't). Instead, I'm curious if once they starting reviewing, do they review applications which were submitted earlier first?

Thanks again!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gpb14 wrote:
SalarymanJ wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. To clarify further, my question isn't whether they review them prior to the deadline (I'm assuming they don't). Instead, I'm curious if once they starting reviewing, do they review applications which were submitted earlier first?

Thanks again!

Ah gotcha. Yea I am not entirely sure about that from last years data a few people that applied before the deadline got invites late, but in general most applied before deadline got earlier invites. However, those people could have been more prepared and had better apps then the rest so it is difficult to tell. Especially since people that are not accepted/don't get an invite tend to not report back.

I never heard any mention of the admissions team saying they processed them in order or anything. Doesn't really help you I am sure. Just remember handing in a complete, meticulous app is better handing in a sloppy one a few days early.

-J
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Hi all,
I believe that the overall lower activity in thread and the lower number of applicants reflects the overall trend in today's business environment. If you were to graduate in 2002-2004 than there were a lot of jobs in IB and other companies with huge bonuses and multiple offers.
Today I-banks are firing staff and although the post-MBA salaries remained stable there are less guaranteed bonuses, the prices and overall cost of attendance (tution, rent, etc) increased. People are willing to stay for a while and see what's next step. Thus the total number of applications is expected to decline.

Visit for example the Cornell "calling all......" thread, few posts below you find a post with an attachment posted by a current atudent. There is word documents with admissions statistics to Cornell.
You will see that the admission rate for the last year at Cornell mba increased from 19%-22% to 27% (and 42% for AMBA), becuase of the lower number of applicants prior year. And it is Ivy League school by the way. I would also expect decrease for almost all of the schools.
I will not follow the crowd applying to H/S.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Well if you are going to make a claim like that you should probably put more then one school. Cornell is not in the top 10 and doesn't have the largest of applicant pools. A few schools like Tuck had there selectivity increase from last year.

For real data look here,
https://poetsandquants.com/2011/10/24/wh ... -school/2/

It supports that there are less applicants but at lot of schools the drop is not that big. I believe it is more like that the same applicant pool is just narrowing there focus to a few schools instead of applying to several.

Plenty of people go to biz school for things other besides IB like myself. IB people still probably get paid the most, but they give up there life in exchange.

-J
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
SalarymanJ wrote:
Well if you are going to make a claim like that you should probably put more then one school. Cornell is not in the top 10 and doesn't have the largest of applicant pools. A few schools like Tuck had there selectivity increase from last year.

For real data look here,
https://poetsandquants.com/2011/10/24/wh ... -school/2/

It supports that there are less applicants but at lot of schools the drop is not that big. I believe it is more like that the same applicant pool is just narrowing there focus to a few schools instead of applying to several.

Plenty of people go to biz school for things other besides IB like myself. IB people still probably get paid the most, but they give up there life in exchange.

-J

thanks for link.
Do you usually use all data when providing an example? the school just was an example of the overall trend.

It is my subjective opinion, which is trying to explain one of the possible reasons why the number of registered applicants (here) is down in comparison with the last year and why here are less dicussions.
Of course some schools like Tuck experienced increase in selectivity, but the overall trend is decrease in number of applicants. And it is merely your assumption that "the same applicant pool is just narrowing there focus". It may not be true.

And my opinion is the same stated in the article

Quote:
In an earlier interview with Poets&Quants, Wharton Admissions Director Ankur Kumar attributed the application declines two main reasons. “First, the macro economic issues in the world are causing some people to stay in the work place,” said Kumar. “After living through a period of uncertainly in the past coupe of years, some may want to hold fast to their jobs and not take the risk. Other people in emerging markets have really robust professional careers and they see more opportunity in the jobs they already have.

cheers,
PTK
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Far enough, I was mostly poking at you using cornell which has a smaller applicant pool compared to a lot of the 10 top schools. And sure I think the economy has something to do with it, on the other had after things crashed in 2007-2008 applicant numbers went way up for 2009-2010. People tend to re-educate when the economy is not running so smooth. In any case, there are probably a variety of factors contributing to the drop this year from the economy to the negative publicity. There are still plenty of IB jobs to go around for people that hate themselves.

-J
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
gpb14 wrote:
SalarymanJ wrote:

Thanks again!

Ok. I am going to take a stab at answering this question. I attended one of the admissions events and the NYU rep said that the first deadline is the only actual deadline. Which means that they will review no applications till after Nov 15 (R1 deadline) after that they will review the apps as they come. So if you submit Nov1 it is not going to make you any different from the applicant who submits Nov 15. However as all the R1 apps are reviewed they will start rolling out the interviews. After the R1 apps are reviewed they will also roll out the interviews of the apps submitted after R1 on a rolling basis as the apps come in. The Deadlines are just to indicate when latest you will come to know your admission status. However they do say that scholarships are offered to a larger pool of applicants who apply by the first deadline which is not to say that the scholarships offered in r2 are considerably lesser but not as many as R1.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
I think Stern gets afflicted with the "I guess I will apply to Stern" syndrome among applicants nervous about not getting the Harvard interview or anxiously waiting to hear back from Booth, Columbia. I guess that is why their essays are very stern specific...

With that said, I visited Stern and thought it was fantastic! Felt the building was a little cramped for the number of people, but thats more of a New York thing so cant discount a school because of that....

I am just starting to do my personal expression piece. Im trying to leverage my Booth powerpoint in a way that is not obvious, but that will be difficult. I was exploring sending a video, but afraid that would hurt more than it can help. How is everyone else coming along in their personal expression piece? Any tips or advice?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
nycbiker wrote:
I think Stern gets afflicted with the "I guess I will apply to Stern" syndrome among applicants nervous about not getting the Harvard interview or anxiously waiting to hear back from Booth, Columbia. I guess that is why their essays are very stern specific...

With that said, I visited Stern and thought it was fantastic! Felt the building was a little cramped for the number of people, but thats more of a New York thing so cant discount a school because of that....

I am just starting to do my personal expression piece. Im trying to leverage my Booth powerpoint in a way that is not obvious, but that will be difficult. I was exploring sending a video, but afraid that would hurt more than it can help. How is everyone else coming along in their personal expression piece? Any tips or advice?

The building may seem crammed but really it isn't. There are a lot of MBA specific study areas only full time MBA students can get into. They do a pretty good job of keeping the undergraduate students out of your hair as well. Only thing that can be difficult is reserving a study room. They have quite a few but with 800 people you are bound to not have a enough. People also tend to block off a reservation for 4 hours but not actually use it.

I am not sure what your booth powerpoint is like but I would recommend trying to write an essay and maybe add in some of the imagines from your powerpoint slides. You would be surprised at the number of people that wrote essays. I would only do a video if you think you can make something that adds to your application (Ie conveys who you are beyond your other essays).
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  36   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts