Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Official Business School Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Mendoza '16
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Babson '15
WE:Consulting (Accounting)
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Re: Ask Mendoza (University of Notre Dame) MBA Admissions [#permalink]
Muneeb....thanks for your question.

We evaluate applications the same in every round.

Your best bet is always to submit your app when you believe that it's as strong as it can be.

If you need the extra time, then I would encourage you to take it.

Hope this helps. Take care.

Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Babson '15
WE:Consulting (Accounting)
Send PM
Hi Andrew,

I appreciate your prompt reply. I have a question about the TOEFL exam. I completed my baccalaureate from a U.S. university and worked there for approximately 4 1/2 years after graduation. Can I request for a waiver from the TOEFL requirement ?

Thanks
Muneeb
Send PM
Yes - our process is pretty simple. Just send along your transcript from the U.S. university and we will take a look and then grant you the waiver.

In order to grant a TOEFL waiver we have to see your official transcript or a letter from your Registrar that states that the medium of instruction was English. Then we allow your application to be processed without a TOEFL/PTE/IELTS if everything checks out.

Andrew J. Sama
Senior Associate Director, MBA Admissions
University of Notre Dame
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
For anyone that wants to get a feel for how our Interterm Deep Dives operate - you have an awesome opportunity right now to participate in a case competition with one of our Interterm partners Microsoft.

Learn more here:

https://mba.nd.edu/deepdive/

You can win a ton of prizes and more importantly you can get a taste of what it's like to do a real Deep Dive as an ND/MBA!

I hope to see you in the competition. Have a great day and Go Irish!

Andrew J. Sama
University of Notre Dame
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Mendoza UCSD
Send PM
Does Notre Dame give preference to applicants that come to campus? What if you can't make it there due to work schedules, etc?
Send PM
Good question TLCforever.

We definitely encourage applicants to come to campus because we feel like it benefits both parties. Never forget that when you interact with any Admissions office, at Notre Dame or elsewhere, you are not just giving *us* information but you should be collecting information for yourself as well!

Going to b-school is a huge decision and a big investment of time, energy, money, etc. You will be connected with the school that you choose for the rest of your life so applicants should make sure it's a good fit. I think a campus visit is the best way to know if a school is the right one for you. When you come to Notre Dame you can meet our students, sit in on an MBA class, take a tour of campus and conduct your admissions interview. I think you come away with as much info as you give us. 10 minutes on campus is probably more informative than hours on a website.

That being said - we realize that not everyone can get to campus. So we don't penalize anyone for not making the trip. There are lots of other ways to get to know us that don't require a trip to campus.

City Tours - you can meet us on the road and conduct a formal Admissions interview or just chat one-on-one about the program and learn more. These are almost always hosted by an MBA Admissions staff member. Really a great chance to engage with our office. Sign up here:

https://webapp.business.nd.edu/mba/city_tour/

Online Chats - we actually have one coming up TOMORROW - October 19th! You can submit your questions in an online chat format and our current students and staff will answer them live via written responses. You can sign up here:

https://webapp.business.nd.edu/mba/chat/

Irish Coffee Chats - when our current students go home for Christmas Break we ask them to make themselves available to prospective applicants in their hometowns. We haven't posted any dates yet but check the link below in November for more info:

https://webapp.business.nd.edu/mba/mba_e ... ffee_chat/

Hopefully this helps and I encourage you to engage with us in any one of the ways listed to get a better feel for what makes Notre Dame unique and whether or not we might be the right fit for you.

Go Irish!

Andrew
Send PM
If you are planning on applying for our Oct. 31 deadline then don't miss tonight's online chat. Students and staff will answer questions from 6pm to 7pm Eastern.

Register here:

https://business.nd.edu/mba/event.aspx?id=9756

Hope to see you in there!

Go Irish! Beat Trojans!

Andrew J. Sama
University of Notre Dame
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I missed the chat - is there a transcript available?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1372 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE:Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
I have Two questions......

1.I want to know How is University of Notre Dame different from other business schools?

2.I have 2.5 Years Exp in a software industry and i have 86.5% in my 10th standard,88% in my high school and 81.1 in my under-graduation where do i stand in getting into Notre Dame, and with my academics what is the required Gmat score to get into this business school?

Thanks in advance.........
Send PM
Here is the chat transcript from our chat last week. If there is anything you were hoping to have answered that's not included, please don't hesitate to post it here or send us an e-mail at mba.business@nd.edu!

https://business.nd.edu/MBA/Chat/MBA_Cha ... _10-19-11/

Go Irish!

Andrew J. Sama
University of Notre Dame
Send PM
@kotela.....thanks for your questions!

I think two things set ND apart from other top b-schools.....

A. Small class size. We are among the smallest programs in the top tier. We only have about 130-140 students in a 2YR class and about 60-70 in a 1YR class. We typically only have around 330 in the program total. That's the size of many schools incoming class! I think this is important because it generates a different kind of attitude and camaraderie amongst our students and between students, staff and faculty. You will really have the chance to know your professors and get personal attention from Student Services, Career Development, etc. And the network you create while you're here is very strong because it's built on personal connections and shared experience. ND typically gets very high marks for the strength of it's alumni network and I think that's due in large part to the fact that people actually know one another on a personal level.

B. Ethics & Sustainability integration. We are not different because we have required ethics courses. A lot of schools have started to jump on that bandwagon in light of recent events. I think what sets us apart is how we integrate these concepts into everything we do. We offer more than 90+ electives where at least one class session is spent on some ethics or sustainability aspect of that subject matter. So for example, I recall being in Brand Strategy class and discussing the ethical dimensions of marketing to kids. That's a different conversation than when you discuss the same topic in an ethics course. And that repeated exposure and discussion to these topics helps to shape a decision making process for our students that just naturally includes consideration of things like "what's impact on people I manage?", "what's impact on community?" and "what's impact on environment?". But let's be clear....you still have to know the bottom line "shareholder value" answer as well. And we will make sure you know that. It's just that we really do ask you to think about *more* than that as well. So I would say we're not different because we do ethics, we are different because of the way in which we approach ethics.

As to your question on the competitiveness of your application - it's really hard to say based on only a few data points. We look at a lot of different aspects of an application when making decisions. You can get a full breakdown here:

Evaluation Criteria - https://business.nd.edu/mba/admissions_a ... ncial_aid/

The average GMAT for our most recently admitted group was 692 and the middle 80% range was 620 to 760. Hopefully that gives you some idea of the competitiveness of the app pool. You may also want to review the class profile for more info:

https://business.nd.edu/MBA/Two-Year_MBA ... tatistics/

Thanks again for your question. Let me know how else I can help and Go Irish!

Andrew

Andrew J. Sama
University of Notre Dame
Send PM
I'm headed to North Carolina in a few hours for a City Tour! Looking forward to meeting all the applicants and prospective students through my stay!

You can meet us on the road throughout the U.S. and the world. Just check this link for updated travel dates/locations:

https://webapp.business.nd.edu/mba/city_tour/

Hope to see you out there!

Go Irish!

Andrew J. Sama
University of Notre Dame
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools: Mendoza UCSD
Send PM
I was not able to apply for the Oct 31 round.....what are my chances of getting fellowship for the Jan 9 round?
Send PM
We typically have fellowships available at all rounds - and we assess applicants the same in each round.

At some point later in the cycle we of course have to meter our fellowship offers based on the decisions of earlier admits. But that typically doesn't happen until the very last round, if at all.

My advice is always to apply when you feel you have the strongest application. The strength of your app will have far more impact on your chances for a fellowship than the date on which it is received.

Hope that clarifies - thanks for the question!

Andrew J. Sama
University of Notre Dame
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello,

I am 31/Indian/Male, have graduated from one of top 10 colleges in India, I am working with a leading MNC in India, have 9+ years of experience in Sales and Marketing - Consumer durables, I have been promoted to youngest Regional Manager at the age of 29 in my current company. I am enthusiastic, goal-oriented and optimistic individual and I want to pursue MBA to enter global consumer market. Though I have dozens of applauds, promotions and community service initiatives under my belt, my current GMAT score of 640 raises doubts in my mind of applying to Notre dame. I wish to know with my current score, shall I apply to one year full time MBA at Notre dame? I want to make sure that my application will be read and not discarded just because of low score.
Send PM
Thanks for your question ruchi2012 and for sharing some of your background.

Let me assure you that we consider *every* application that we receive and we don't summarily discard anyone for a low test score or for any single data point.

That being said....a 640 is on the lower end of our accepted range from last year. The middle 80% of our class last year was 620 to 760.

While GMAT isn't everything, there is no denying that academic aptitude is important in a program where most of the classes are only seven weeks long. The aggressive pace means you need to be able to balance a lot of different things at once and integrate new concepts and learnings very quickly. GMAT and GRE scores are one way me measure academic aptitude but the Committee also looks at undergraduate GPA and a strong transcript as good indicators of academic aptitude as well.

The Admissions Committee will not penalize an applicant for retakes. Only your highest score is shown to the Committee. My advice to applicants on GMAT/GRE is always two-fold. First and foremost, keep it in perspective and remember that we're looking for academic aptitude not a magic test score number. Secondly, if you think you didn't perform to the best of your abilities yet on a GMAT/GRE, then it might make sense to spend some time prepping and retake the test. You can find some great, free GMAT test prep resources on at www.mba.com if you're interested. And then of course there is lots of stuff out there like Kaplan, Manhattan MBA, etc.

We do have a competitive applicant pool and so you want to put your best foot forward, but ultimately your test score is not the only component by which you're judged. The Committee will look at your entire application package including recommendations, essays, etc. You can get a complete breakdown of everything we look for at this link:

https://business.nd.edu/MBA/Admissions_a ... ncial_Aid/

Hope this helps. I would encourage you to apply. The only way to know how you stack up is to apply!

Take care and thanks again for the question.

Andrew J. Sama
University of Notre Dame
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Andrew,

Thanks for your reply. I just read on website that 1Y program requires undergraduate business degree. I have experience in the courses mentioend but I donot have credits. In that case I will not be eligible to apply since I have 4 year engineering degree. Is that correct?

Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts