Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:49 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: [2]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [5]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
The book is designed to provide instruction in advanced GMAT topics. The problems aren't necessarily designed to simulate 700-800 level GMAT questions. The idea is that if you have strategies to tackle everything in that book, you should be well-prepared for the hardest GMAT quant. Having said that, many people also spend 5-10 minutes on real GMAT problems! Part of what you should get out of this kind of advanced practice is an instinct for when to let a problem go, and when to switch to a different mode of problem solving. I know that if I spend 5-10 minutes on a problem, my response is to go back and keep working through the problem until I can see a quicker way to approach it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [6]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Kudos
Advanced GMAT Quant is very complex. The problems are definitely challenging and worth reviewing for high-level concepts and multi-step solutions.

The difference is that the real GMAT presents problems that are equal in difficulty but much more "elegant" than MGMAT, or any other prep company, for that matter.

GMAC finds ways to give you problems at the high levels that seem deceptively easy in their nature, but contain 2-4 levels of easy mistakes that you can make, tripping you up and making you draw incorrect conclusions that lead you to a wrong answer.

I would do MGMAT Quant to become very proficient at tougher concepts and harder problems, but to score high on the real thing, you need to do a lot of practice at paying close attention to detail on real GMAT problems, and identifying the subtle but devastating mistakes they will often lead you to make. That's ultimately how you'll get a higher quant score. The concepts are the same, but the trickery goes up, significantly.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
ebonn101 wrote:

I would do MGMAT Quant to become very proficient at tougher concepts and harder problems, but to score high on the real thing, you need to do a lot of practice at paying close attention to detail on real GMAT problems, and identifying the subtle but devastating mistakes they will often lead you to make. That's ultimately how you'll get a higher quant score. The concepts are the same, but the trickery goes up, significantly.

Very well put! Kudos.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [1]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Kudos
Why do weight lifters do body building ? Because it helps them indirectly. You don't know exactly what curevballs GMAT will throw at you. What you can do it to train your mind to practise convoluted problems that are not copies of OG and GMAT Prep. Hence Advanced Quant will prove helpful. Same for MGMAT Challenge Archive.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks very much for the insights. I just took the GMAT Prep test yesterday and scored a 50 on it. I definitely agree that the questions from the advanced Manhattan GMAT are much more challenging than the real GMAT prep questions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 926 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Some of the problems in the work sets are BRUTAL, however you cannot categorize each problem to say a GMAT Difficulty level. This is a strategy book and must be used as such, to gain key insight into multiple strategies and approaches to solve tough Quant problems (DS and PS) irrespective of whether you are taking a GMAT , a GRE or any other Admission test that involves similar syllabus. They are designed to get you to think out of the box and become better. They are definitely not designed to be indicative of what MGMAT thinks GMAT will throw at you if you are headed towards say a 50, for that MGMAT has their CAT's.

Having said that, the problems are perhaps as tough as any that could be designed given the time limit so if you do well with them, you are sure to do well on the GMAT (all things remaining equal), However if you do poorly on them, then you may still do well on the GMAT, however if you review the problems you got wrong and follow the strategy you will definitely improve your score.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Hi BB,

Is there any difference between the 4th Edition Manhattan Advanced Quant and the 5th edition Advanced Quant. I am asking as I was thinking of buying the new one and one of my friends has the old one to give to me. So, which one should I go for?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
certainly a useful book for advanced topics...however i remain confused that while planning for a retake after scoring Q49 and q48 in first two attempts, should i polish my basics or should i take a plunge into adv quants...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi AA2014,

Since you've referenced a Q49 and Q48 already and you're talking about retaking, I'm curious about how you performed in the OTHER areas of the GMAT and your goals:

1) What were your overall scores and Verbal Scaled Scores on each of those Tests?
2) What is your goal score?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Current Student
Send PM
Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi AA2014,

Since you've referenced a Q49 and Q48 already and you're talking about retaking, I'm curious about how you performed in the OTHER areas of the GMAT and your goals:

1) What were your overall scores and Verbal Scaled Scores on each of those Tests?
2) What is your goal score?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

Rich

My attempts were as follows:

1) 580 (Q49, V21)
2) 690 (Q48, V35)

Yes, im planning for ISB and INSEAD this year but many have suggested that a sub-700 score is not enough for either of them.
It would be helpful if you can suggest something for this situation.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi AA2014,

A 690/Q48 is a really strong score (it's just shy of the 90th percentile overall), so that score could very well be enough to get you into School. Your OVERALL application needs to be strong though, especially when applying to competitive programs. As such, before you retake the GMAT, you might want to review your application/profile with an Admissions Expert - it might be that you have a strong enough profile already and you're good to apply as is. There's a Forum full of those experts here:

ask-admission-consultants-124/

If you do end up choosing to retest, then you have a much greater opportunity to pick up missing points in the Verbal section than in the Quant section, so focusing on materials that would help you improve in SC, RC and CR would be the better investment.

Rich
Current Student
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi AA2014,

A 690/Q48 is a really strong score (it's just shy of the 90th percentile overall), so that score could very well be enough to get you into School. Your OVERALL application needs to be strong though, especially when applying to competitive programs. As such, before you retake the GMAT, you might want to review your application/profile with an Admissions Expert - it might be that you have a strong enough profile already and you're good to apply as is. There's a Forum full of those experts here:

ask-admission-consultants-124/

If you do end up choosing to retest, then you have a much greater opportunity to pick up missing points in the Verbal section than in the Quant section, so focusing on materials that would help you improve in SC, RC and CR would be the better investment.

Rich

Thanks for the valuable advice.
I'll look into the consulting options...
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
CrackZGMAT, you're fine with the 4th edition.
GMAT Club Bot